Functional Play: an FM attempt to reproduce Fernando Diniz's Fluminense

Il 31/5/2023 in 17:29 , coach vahid ha scritto:

Just brillant.

Il 31/5/2023 in 18:57 , Irn Rvd ha scritto:

Absolute tremendous post. Well done!

Thank you guys!

Il 31/5/2023 in 18:36 , Mutumba ha scritto:

Wow, incredible OP! I hate to say it tho, but there is already an (also excellent) post about the same manager and system :D

I suggest merging the two and let the discussion flow. 

Thanks mate!

Yeah, I've read that thread and has great ideas, but lacks some analysis on some aspects of the way Diniz make Fluminense play (not a fault from the user that made the thread, but a lot of interesting in-depht analysis came over in the last months when the name of Fernando Diniz has popped out and went "viral"). User didn't add or has updated the thread since it's creation and it went dead in a couple of weeks, so I thought could be useful make a new thread (hoping in more discussion and engagement :brock: )

Il 31/5/2023 in 20:46 , TheMartello ha scritto:

Great post! Which PI´s do you use?

Thank you!

I've edited OP and underlined PI's in the role description, but since there are few additions to the default ones, I'll rewrite them here:

FBs: get further forward, cross from the byline

CMs: Press less often

IWs: stay wider

APs: Roam from position

AML/R: switch positions

Edited by Fox-7-

Il 2/6/2023 in 23:58 , Collectivism ha scritto:

Absolutely fantastic write up. Im about to enter preseason and am thinking of switching up my tactic to adopt this - how are you finding the results?

Thank you!

As mentioned in OP, at the moment I've played literally three matches against level teams, because actually I'm playing in Carioca Championship with only Botafogo, Vasco da Gama and Flamengo as Brasileirao teams and the other are all minor teams.

So the results aren't very significant yet... I won with Botafogo and Vasco da Gama and just lost with Flamengo, but the feeling having seen the whole match is that they are simply stronger in individual players, their Gerson-Pulgar-Thiago Maia midfield in 4-3-3 DM canceled my double pivot and Ganso always intercepting passes and by anticipating myv players, so much so that I only made 3 shots in the whole match.

But the general stats on passing, positions and occupied zones weren't bad.

Now that Brasileirao and Libertadores will start, I'll try to give continuity to this tactic for a few games in order to clearly see strengths and weaknesses with more consistent data, and then think about any changes in roles or instructions.

Keep in mind that my primary goal is not result, but to have a tactic that replicates Diniz's Fluminense IRL game as closely as possible.

Later on with the work I could also think about adding other tactics like 4-2-2-2, 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3 that have sometimes been used, now I'm focusing exclusively on the 4-2-3-1.

And obviously by igradually improving the team with better players we hope to have better results

Il 3/6/2023 in 10:23 , jc577 ha scritto:

Amazing post on a topic I've been following for months, been waiting for an FM translation like this! Great work @Fox-7-

Thanks mate!

Edited by Fox-7-

I've implemented this tactic myself, but mirrored. So the CWB is for example on the right side and so on. When it works, it's a really good tactic that provides lots of scoring and a tight defense. But the high defensive line naturally also caused me some goals, where the opponent's striker simply outran my defenders. But also I have the feeling you really need a Haaland type of striker to be really successful. Many times, my strikers miss plenty of 1vs1s or headers and end up with a 6.3 rating or worse. My team also bunches up in the middle and they can't really figure out a way to unlock tight defenses.

What I tried from the other thread that linked here, was to remove the team instruction of shorter passing, giving it to most players as a player instruction instead. I also told most players to shoot less, in the hope of creating more quality chances. But the results haven't really changed so far. I'm playing the Console Edition, so once my team's morale tanks, it's hard to get it back up again. I have a bad run of results and I'm afraid I'll be sacked soon in my second season. But I don't blame your tactics. As I said, when it works, it's really good football.

22 ore fa, KeepyourGuardiolaup ha scritto:

I've implemented this tactic myself, but mirrored. So the CWB is for example on the right side and so on. When it works, it's a really good tactic that provides lots of scoring and a tight defense. But the high defensive line naturally also caused me some goals, where the opponent's striker simply outran my defenders. But also I have the feeling you really need a Haaland type of striker to be really successful. Many times, my strikers miss plenty of 1vs1s or headers and end up with a 6.3 rating or worse. My team also bunches up in the middle and they can't really figure out a way to unlock tight defenses.

What I tried from the other thread that linked here, was to remove the team instruction of shorter passing, giving it to most players as a player instruction instead. I also told most players to shoot less, in the hope of creating more quality chances. But the results haven't really changed so far. I'm playing the Console Edition, so once my team's morale tanks, it's hard to get it back up again. I have a bad run of results and I'm afraid I'll be sacked soon in my second season. But I don't blame your tactics. As I said, when it works, it's really good football.

HI!

Thanks for the comment, I too believe that one of the potential problems with this replication could be the difficulty of scoring against teams that manage to defend well.

With the current ME relying too much on possession with certain instructions can make the offensive maneuver absolutely sterile, on the other hand increasing the risk level with higher mentalities or other instructions can lead to wasting too many opportunities or creating low quality ones.

In the end, almost all of the construction of the game is done by the first 10 players, while scoring is almost exclusively the task of the central forward. The risk with FM is that it is too one-dimensional and predictable to be successful over the long term.

I think the key to really getting the most out of this tactic is to have players who excel in technical and mental stats (quite obvious), and the lone striker is one of the key ones, as you rightly said.

In fact, IRL Cano also contributed significantly to the success of Fluminense, given that in Brasilieirao 2022 he scored 26 goals without penalties against 20.39 xG according to Soccerment (even 18.4 xG according to Fbref).

In the current state of the tactic, I still have to find the optimal balance, taking into account any limitations of the ME in replicating this very particular (almost unique) style of play.

Really nice thread. I have tried to recreate some Diniz-esque tactic (but also with my own touch) playing with Osasco Audax in my last save. I've managed to reach back to back promotions, started in the Paulista Série A3 (São Paulo's third division) and got promoted to Brazilian Série A in 2026. Unfortunately, my file got corrupted and I lost my save.

2023: Paulista Série A3 (winners, promoted), Copa Paulista (winners, qualified to Brazilian Série D and Brazilian Cup).
2024: Paulista Série A2 (semifinalists), Brazilian Série D (winners, promoted), Brazilian Cup (3rd round, lost 1-3 against Atletico Mineiro on aggregate).
2025: Paulista Série A2 (winners, promoted), Brazilian Série C (runners up, promoted)
2026: Paulista Série A1 (8th), Brazilian Série B (4th, promoted).

In terms of roles it is kinda different, but when it comes to shape and instructions, it's very similar.

This is how my tactic looked. Pressing Forward is a personal preference, but it could be Advanced Forward. Also Attacking Midfielder is not what Diniz does at Fluminense, but since I've selected three playmakers, I wanted to have an attacking midfielder with more focus on scoring goals. I've used a Segundo Volante - Support as well, it's a very common role in Brazil, although I think CM - Support is also a great fit. These two roles are almost the same thing, actually.

image.png.d606687f641f13ae242c8346b48b1398.png

Here I think it's almost 100% like yours, but I wanted to use Run at Defence, because I felt that my players needed this freedom sometimes. It helped a lot, specially with wing backs going forward with the ball and then retreating to find good passes and open up lines. I used to switch between Narrow/Fairly Narrow attacking width, Much Shorter/Short passing and Slightly Higher/Higher tempo, but this is the basic shape. I also changed crosses depending on who I was using as a striker, but usually they were whipped.

image.png.1f08f6b46c44f6e7d65f688597851327.png

Here I just haven't ticked the Slow Pace Down, but I don't think it makes a lot of difference, it's just a matter of resting players a little bit more.

image.png.c1cd57f42e9f019822692374bf333742.png

Here I opted to use Standard defensive line because my wing backs weren't good defensively, I had one of the worst teams in Serie B and got promotion. If I used Much Higher line, they would give spaces and concede a lot of goals. And sometimes I see his teams resting a little and not pressing extremely hard, so that's why I opted to use "only" high press. But it's kinda close to your tactics anyway.

image.png.ebd2659bf63180039382dd411f867f59.png

===

Also, a comment apart from FM. I support Vasco da Gama, we are rivals with Fluminense, and I have to say: when Fluminense is in a good day, they are really great to watch. Quick, well made passes with lots of technical players and a clinical striker (German Cano), he just needs one touch to score goals and even scored an amazing halfway line goal against us in the Rio State championship - I was at Maracanã, unfortunately. In the Brazilian league we got absolutely trashed against them, somehow Vasco scraped a 1-1 draw. We're in a s*** form currently, but this match against Fluminense was crazy, Vasco scored within 50 seconds and then got dominated for 90 minutes.

However, Fluminense needs their full team to play well. They haven't enough good options in the bench and sometimes need to rotate due to our crazy calendar. Usually, when rotating players, Fluminense tends to be more error prone.

Edited by bpecanha

Il 13/6/2023 in 06:24 , Crazy_Ivan ha scritto:

One of the best OPs I have seen on here and I am following to see how it evolves.

Thanks mate!

Il 14/6/2023 in 02:01 , bpecanha ha scritto:

Really nice thread. I have tried to recreate some Diniz-esque tactic (but also with my own touch) playing with Osasco Audax in my last save. I've managed to reach back to back promotions, started in the Paulista Série A3 (São Paulo's third division) and got promoted to Brazilian Série A in 2026. Unfortunately, my file got corrupted and I lost my save.

2023: Paulista Série A3 (winners, promoted), Copa Paulista (winners, qualified to Brazilian Série D and Brazilian Cup).
2024: Paulista Série A2 (semifinalists), Brazilian Série D (winners, promoted), Brazilian Cup (3rd round, lost 1-3 against Atletico Mineiro on aggregate).
2025: Paulista Série A2 (winners, promoted), Brazilian Série C (runners up, promoted)
2026: Paulista Série A1 (8th), Brazilian Série B (4th, promoted).

In terms of roles it is kinda different, but when it comes to shape and instructions, it's very similar.

This is how my tactic looked. Pressing Forward is a personal preference, but it could be Advanced Forward. Also Attacking Midfielder is not what Diniz does at Fluminense, but since I've selected three playmakers, I wanted to have an attacking midfielder with more focus on scoring goals. I've used a Segundo Volante - Support as well, it's a very common role in Brazil, although I think CM - Support is also a great fit. These two roles are almost the same thing, actually.

image.png.d606687f641f13ae242c8346b48b1398.png

Here I think it's almost 100% like yours, but I wanted to use Run at Defence, because I felt that my players needed this freedom sometimes. It helped a lot, specially with wing backs going forward with the ball and then retreating to find good passes and open up lines. I used to switch between Narrow/Fairly Narrow attacking width, Much Shorter/Short passing and Slightly Higher/Higher tempo, but this is the basic shape. I also changed crosses depending on who I was using as a striker, but usually they were whipped.

image.png.1f08f6b46c44f6e7d65f688597851327.png

Here I just haven't ticked the Slow Pace Down, but I don't think it makes a lot of difference, it's just a matter of resting players a little bit more.

image.png.c1cd57f42e9f019822692374bf333742.png

Here I opted to use Standard defensive line because my wing backs weren't good defensively, I had one of the worst teams in Serie B and got promotion. If I used Much Higher line, they would give spaces and concede a lot of goals. And sometimes I see his teams resting a little and not pressing extremely hard, so that's why I opted to use "only" high press. But it's kinda close to your tactics anyway.

image.png.ebd2659bf63180039382dd411f867f59.png

===

Also, a comment apart from FM. I support Vasco da Gama, we are rivals with Fluminense, and I have to say: when Fluminense is in a good day, they are really great to watch. Quick, well made passes with lots of technical players and a clinical striker (German Cano), he just needs one touch to score goals and even scored an amazing halfway line goal against us in the Rio State championship - I was at Maracanã, unfortunately. In the Brazilian league we got absolutely trashed against them, somehow Vasco scraped a 1-1 draw. We're in a s*** form currently, but this match against Fluminense was crazy, Vasco scored within 50 seconds and then got dominated for 90 minutes.

However, Fluminense needs their full team to play well. They haven't enough good options in the bench and sometimes need to rotate due to our crazy calendar. Usually, when rotating players, Fluminense tends to be more error prone.

Hi, thank you so much for your contribution.

What a pity for your save, it seemed you could get even more important results in Brasileirao.

The tactic seems good to me, even if respectfully I don't agree with the choice of the AM attack role in the #10 spot (if I think about how Ganso plays), but just as you said in your version given the three playmakers already present, it makes perfect sense.

The Run at defence option is something I'm thinking about too in order to add some unpredictability , as rewatching some games ball carries are used a lot once they manage to open up space with possessione in their half to run towards the last defensive line and allowing the other teammates to arrive.

The option to distribute to a specific teammate is also something I'd like to try, as I've seen it's often one of the two pivots who drops into the penalty area to start build-up play from the GK, thus making it a 3+3 setup instead of 4+2, but I've never tried it on FM yet. But It could be and on and off option according to specific opponents positions in the first pressing 

Even with the defense line I have to try and see how it works and what spaces I give if I drop the defensive line or if I go for the high block

---------

I totally agree with your comment on Fluminense IRL. I'm not that expert on the average level of players in the Brasileirao, but from some games I've seen and from the results, the difference in level between the 11 starter and the bench players seems quite evident to and external observer like me

Hello
I have been following this thread and think it is absolutely amazing. This is definitely the best OP on the site. I have been trying to do this for months with mixed results so this has cleared a lot of things up. A question I have is, what would be the problem with putting basically every possible player (so lets say 4 of the attackers and 1 midfielder) on roam from position? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I have been trying your tactic in my Nordsjaelland save for a few preseason friendlies, because i had been using a three at the back that won me a “treble” the season earlier (it was conference league tho lol), but i didn’t really enjoyed watching the games, it was a very automatic style and had no room for crazy passing sequences or stuff like that. So i decided to give your tactic a try, since my squad was built for a barcelona inspired tactic (short, creative and technical players). so far, i haven’t seen many problems in attack or defense, with the caveat that they were games against bottom half clubs. we scored some beautiful goals, and incidentally, we have a really good rest defense thanks to the support fullback and my RPM has looked like prime kimmich. I think i will keep it for the beginning of the season and see how it fares in the champions league. 

now to the questions. 

i can see that more often than not my players look for long balls to the AF, which is fine because he gets to them most of the time, the problem is that it isn’t very on brand. i have tried setting every outfield player to Pass it short PI, and Take fewer risks to the usual suspects, but i haven’t noticed a difference quite yet. any idea how to work around it? 

also, it’s really hard to get the players to clump up on the flanks, probably due to the ME, has anyone found a way to make it work? i thought about off setting the AP but that would forces down one side i think. 

in terms of the wide players with the switching position instruction, sometime it works and sometimes it’s just like nothing happened. in some transitional moments they get stuck half switch and end up on the same side of the pitch but very briefly only. i thought about maybe moving them to AM position, but i didn’t want to sacrifice the passages of play when we keep the ball on one of the flanks and the trequartista is completely free in a one on one against the opposition fb. 

just a few thoughts, and i wanted to know what more experienced people like you lot would think about it. 

this thread has some interesting ideas maybe worth trying, i’m specially intrigued by the claim that play out of defense TI makes your players pin back the opposing defense instead of coming near the ball

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/572366-which-instructions-i-can-use-to-make-my-players-come-near-the-ball/

i don’t mean this as spam, i’m just too invested in making this work lol

Edited by ivosaurio

I've found an interesting article on Twitter, which our very own @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! shared. Thanks a lot! Though on the matter of functionalism, only the first paragraph is really interesting. 

https://medium.com/@clarissabarcala/julian-nagelsmann-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-20a425016fe9

Didn't watch Bayern that much over the past season. But some bits of the article ring a bell, especially in the context of this thread. 4-2 shape in buildup, players being clustered in the middle or focusing one side in attack. 

On 31/05/2023 at 09:59, Fox-7- said:

things evolve through dialogue and knowledge, and this tactic can certainly evolve into something better than its first version with everyone's contribution.

Love the post and what you've done. Thanks for illustrating this tactical approach so well. Can't wait to give this a go! I had ideas in my head before seeing your tactics screen, a lot similar though some differences. 

53 minutes ago, 04texag said:

Can't wait to give this a go! I had ideas in my head before seeing your tactics screen, a lot similar though some differences. 

Very eager to see this! 

6 minutes ago, jc577 said:

Very eager to see this! 

Played one game, tweaked things throughout, and landed on a first version to keep messing with. My my, there were some really beautiful phases of play that looked on point. This was quite a fun new thing to find and play with. 

2 minutes ago, 04texag said:

Played one game, tweaked things throughout, and landed on a first version to keep messing with. My my, there were some really beautiful phases of play that looked on point. This was quite a fun new thing to find and play with. 

Love this! I've read so much on this topic since the turn of the year and I'm obsessed. Somehow, this style has made it over to Sweden, with Malmo playing an exceptional style of football. Tempted to start a new save to have a play around myself as my Frankfurt team are geared towards high pressing/quick transitions... any recommendations?

Il 19/6/2023 in 19:39 , fanofafan ha scritto:

Hello
I have been following this thread and think it is absolutely amazing. This is definitely the best OP on the site. I have been trying to do this for months with mixed results so this has cleared a lot of things up. A question I have is, what would be the problem with putting basically every possible player (so lets say 4 of the attackers and 1 midfielder) on roam from position? 

Hi, thanks for the reply. The main problems that I can imagine are essentially two:

- In the possession phase, players could make bad decisions and move with the wrong times and spaces, failing to organize an effective attacking action

- In the non-possession phase, areas of the field could be left very open and exposed to rapid counter-attacks if the ball is intercepted or lost.

Il 2/7/2023 in 19:13 , ivosaurio ha scritto:

Hey! I have been trying your tactic in my Nordsjaelland save for a few preseason friendlies, because i had been using a three at the back that won me a “treble” the season earlier (it was conference league tho lol), but i didn’t really enjoyed watching the games, it was a very automatic style and had no room for crazy passing sequences or stuff like that. So i decided to give your tactic a try, since my squad was built for a barcelona inspired tactic (short, creative and technical players). so far, i haven’t seen many problems in attack or defense, with the caveat that they were games against bottom half clubs. we scored some beautiful goals, and incidentally, we have a really good rest defense thanks to the support fullback and my RPM has looked like prime kimmich. I think i will keep it for the beginning of the season and see how it fares in the champions league. 

now to the questions. 

i can see that more often than not my players look for long balls to the AF, which is fine because he gets to them most of the time, the problem is that it isn’t very on brand. i have tried setting every outfield player to Pass it short PI, and Take fewer risks to the usual suspects, but i haven’t noticed a difference quite yet. any idea how to work around it? 

also, it’s really hard to get the players to clump up on the flanks, probably due to the ME, has anyone found a way to make it work? i thought about off setting the AP but that would forces down one side i think. 

in terms of the wide players with the switching position instruction, sometime it works and sometimes it’s just like nothing happened. in some transitional moments they get stuck half switch and end up on the same side of the pitch but very briefly only. i thought about maybe moving them to AM position, but i didn’t want to sacrifice the passages of play when we keep the ball on one of the flanks and the trequartista is completely free in a one on one against the opposition fb. 

just a few thoughts, and i wanted to know what more experienced people like you lot would think about it. 

Il 4/7/2023 in 01:58 , ivosaurio ha scritto:

this thread has some interesting ideas maybe worth trying, i’m specially intrigued by the claim that play out of defense TI makes your players pin back the opposing defense instead of coming near the ball

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/572366-which-instructions-i-can-use-to-make-my-players-come-near-the-ball/

i don’t mean this as spam, i’m just too invested in making this work lol

Hello, thanks for the contribution to the thread, I look forward to reading the continuation in your save.
I try to follow the order of the answers:

-AF with his movements calls the balls behind the defensive line, and on higher mentalities even players are more encouraged to try that type of pass that is risky but with high reward in case of success. Perhaps WBIBs and PIs like the ones you mentioned can mitigate this, but only up to a point.

-I'm not fully satisfied with the play on the flanks too. The most I've been able to achieve so far with this setup is to have 6 players close to the ball (ball carrier included).
I don't know if it's a limitation of the ME or if trying a different approach I could get more, I'm thinking for example of putting a lot of playmaking roles like a BPD at the back, a RGA/RPM double pivot, an AP-EG-Treq trio in the AM strata...But even if it was I would consider it an unrealistic move

-As I wrote in a previous reply, the fact of having selected the option to have AML/R swap positions between them is basically a trick, I believe that in ME it is not possible to make a player completely cut the field from a flank to the other during the normal development of the game.
Here too, one could try to put three narrow AMs juggling between roles, duties and PIs, but I don't think we can still arrive at a satisfactory result (and in any case IRL players like Arias and Keno clearly start as AML/R in the field)

Finally, the thread you linked is interesting, it would be wonderful if someone could explain whether PoD actually makes the more advanced players move away from the ball, even if being a simple on/off instruction you will probably immediately notice any difference.
Even the fact of not selecting playmaking roles to involve more players in the possession is an alternative point of view, even if everything needs to be verified

19 ore fa, KeepyourGuardiolaup ha scritto:

I've found an interesting article on Twitter, which our very own @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! shared. Thanks a lot! Though on the matter of functionalism, only the first paragraph is really interesting. 

https://medium.com/@clarissabarcala/julian-nagelsmann-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-20a425016fe9

Didn't watch Bayern that much over the past season. But some bits of the article ring a bell, especially in the context of this thread. 4-2 shape in buildup, players being clustered in the middle or focusing one side in attack. 

Thanks for the link, it's a long read but as soon as I get some time I'll definitely check it out

18 ore fa, 04texag ha scritto:

Love the post and what you've done. Thanks for illustrating this tactical approach so well. Can't wait to give this a go! I had ideas in my head before seeing your tactics screen, a lot similar though some differences. 

17 ore fa, 04texag ha scritto:

16 ore fa, jc577 ha scritto:

Love this! I've read so much on this topic since the turn of the year and I'm obsessed. Somehow, this style has made it over to Sweden, with Malmo playing an exceptional style of football. Tempted to start a new save to have a play around myself as my Frankfurt team are geared towards high pressing/quick transitions... any recommendations?

Thank you all, @04texag could you share some screenshots to see the differences and the things in common?
PS i loved your threads about Positional Play of some editions ago!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, in these weeks I had very little time to play FM, I only played seven more games in the season, finished the Carioca championship and started the Libertadores with the first two games of the group stage.

Contrary to some of your recent feedback, I'm having a bad run and, regardless of the results, I'm not happy with what I'm seeing on the pitch. In some matches the game is beautiful to watch with fantastic exchanges, many goal chances and constant control over the game (even without a result, for example in Libertadores I lost to Boca Juniors 2-1 conceding two situational goals, one due to an individual error of my RB with bad ball control that opened the way for the attacker and the other from their GK's long clearance with my CB who gets overtaken by the ball leaving a 1vs1 against the GK, but I dominated the match), in others I am totally unable to create anything leaving the game completely to the opponents (I'm thinking of the first leg of the Carioca semifinal against Vasco da Gama or the double final against Flamengo, in theset three games I've put together 10 total shots and conceded 50+).

I haven't been able to collect and study all the data of these matches in detail, the thing I noticed by eye are the many passes intercepted and the balls stolen from my players' feet.

The feeling I have, as I have already said previously, is that with this type of approach the first technical and then mental attributes of the players are fundamental, and in this my team does not excel, so without good ball control and passing precise the game plan goes down the drain. Also, having started a series of bad results (at least this reflects well the current IRL Fluminense trend), I also don't want the deteriorating morale to affect the attitude of the players during the matches. Now the Brasileirao will start and I'll wait a few more games until I reach the maximum of tactical familiarity, then I could try to do some tweaks. 

Possible changes in the instructions (initially one at a time in this order) 

-Drop the tempo by one notch 

-Raise passing lenght a notch to shorter passes

-Remove WBIB (something not actually systematic IRL)

-Remove dribble less (also not so suitable with IRL Fluminense)

-Drop mentality to Standard.

And then, some thoughts on the roles.

IRL double pivots play in a very similar way in terms of involvement in possession, maybe André in a more horizontal way and Martinelli in a more vertical way, and with Ganso they form the nucleus that keeps the team going...do you think I should maybe try a sort of triangle RGA (more horizontal)-RPM (more vertical)-AP (or EG, I have to see if EG makes more horizontal movement towards the flanks looking for the ball despite having hold position hardcoded)? I don't like too much this idea but could be a solution...

thanks for your input! @Fox-7-

so, a couple of thoughts. since your latest post, i haven’t played my main save, so no news on that front, but i set up a “test save” from the same point of the season. the idea is to use it to try out all this little tweaks in a more “systematic” way. i’m playing on the touch version, so there’s no tactical familiarity to worry about, and the ME is pretty much the same, but correct me if i’m wrong of course. 

something we can all agree on is that you definitely need a certain kind of players to pull this off. in our league the average attribute level is 11, and my team is way above it in both technical and mental attributes (we are mostly below average physically tho), so this provides a great starting point. 

so far i have played two games, again, against lesser teams, both fairly emphatic wins. i tried some of the changes you talked about; implementing a REG and RPM for the double pivot, plus an EG mostly to look at his movements, since i’m actually pretty happy with the original AP. ticked off WBIB, Drible Less and Play out of defense. changed to Balanced mentality, standard tempo and shorter passing. 

what i have noticed from the two games, purely by the eye test:

-much more direct, a bit too much, without WBIB, my players are always looking for the AF with long balls and early crosses 

-definitely need to find an alternative to the AF role, he makes us a bit too direct, but i will actually look more closely to Cano’s profile first, because i want to stay as true as possible to the source material. i’m thinking maybe a poacher? let me know what you think

-it seems like we really are dependent on the striker to score the goals, every open play goal we have scored since changing to this style has been from this position. but i’m happy to inform that i have tried three different players here, and they all have scored multiple goals, so we must be creating quality chances.

-i have some problems with the EG-RPM-REG core. the double pivot seems to be working okay, in terms of vertical and horizontal movement, although i’m yet to test it against stronger opposition, because my players tend to loose a lot of duels, thus making us really vulnerable to turn overs. the EG is a no no for me tho, he is just too static in the center of the pitch, perfect for relationist play through the middle, but a ghost if we try to play down the flanks. i find the AP’s roaming to be more suitable to this specific style. 

-thinking of maybe changing the REG, because he plays way too many long passes instead of keeping the ball

-a bit of tweaking is needed to play out without the actual instruction, it is definitely possible, but for example i haven’t seen my CDs as deep as the goalkeeper during a goal kick

-it needs further testing, but play out of defense ticked off seems to make the attacking players come infield during goal kicks. there were some passages of play where both wide players were in the AM area when playing out, and the AP dropped really deep, almost like a central midfielder. also, the trequartista gets in some really nice pockets of space in this AM positioning, sometimes offering a passing option for a more direct pass from the defender or the pivots, ala De Zerbi. 

-thinking about switching one or both of the CDs to BPD with dribble more, because it’s something Diniz asks his center backs to do if i remember correctly from a few analysis i’ve read about him. plus, correct me if im wrong, but this would help us maybe be more direct against deeper blocks but without sacrificing possession, and maybe sometimes opening passing lanes to more attacking players, leading to passing sequences involving the center backs as well? let me know what you think, i’m no expert lol

that’s all for now, but i will create a bigger sample size to give you stronger data :) please feel free to give your opinion on any of these claims, and let’s keep this feedback loop going!

hey guys! so, after lots of testing, i accidentally came up with a this version of @Fox-7-’s tactic, and let me say, it has been by far the closest thing i have seen to the source material in the match engine, with really fluid movement, tabelas, first touch passes, and most importantly, building up play down the flanks!!!

AAC8AE68-023B-4476-A4AE-77734968F2DF.thumb.jpeg.76fd6a7f19435482e6a4eb2ef85d6a2a.jpeg

just a few things: i think you need a certain kind of player for this style, definitely high first touch, technique, anticipation, maybe even flair. for example, first touch is a priority in my recruitment strategy, even for my center backs.

Spoiler

07C67118-F3EB-45BD-86EB-BC32AB8EE20D.thumb.png.ccbe539e0d02ff5f839370c3250ee4d0.png

A964CC30-FEA2-4121-89C3-DD8A2CD8C7F1.thumb.png.e5b043520b36965a15acd113cb76687a.png

also, this tactic is relies on the striker to score the goals and chance quality over quantity. in the matches i’ve played it, we created lots of really high quality chances against weaker teams, im talking literal tap ins from inside the penalty box that any striker would score, but you really need more of a clinical profile (very much like IRL Cano) to score against better teams, when chances will still be high quality but much scarcer. 

there’s quite a few PI’s too, but i don’t really have time to write them down right now, i’ll do it later, don’t worry. also, i recorded a few videos of some beautiful passing sequences to show you how it plays out in the ME, but it’s like seven of them, and since it’s my first time posting i have no idea how to share them. thought about turning all of them into really bad quality gifs, but i didn’t think you would appreciate that lol, so any recommendations on how to do it would be great!

Just a quick possible change you could make as I have also been trying to replicate the Diniz style but on FM21.

I dont like the AF position at all. It encourages too many long balls. Instead I settled on the Poacher role. My poacher has the dwells on the ball PPM and although his passing isnt the best I find him to be holding up the attack and then laying off the ball to his comrades sprinting forward. He then moves into typical poacher positions drawing the defenders with him which allows the two wide men (IWa and T) to come into the middle and offer an alternative goal scoring threat.

I also use a balanced approach and switch this to positive or cautious depending on the scoreline/aim of my match outcome. 

Great write up and really good follow ups!

Edited by hehehemann

sorry about the wait, just a busy sunday

these are the PI’s for this tactic above:

20 hours ago, ivosaurio said:

AAC8AE68-023B-4476-A4AE-77734968F2DF.thumb.jpeg.76fd6a7f19435482e6a4eb2ef85d6a2a.jpeg

SK: Pass it shorter, Take fewer risks (this is in the attempt of making him play out the back without the actual instruction, but sometimes he will still just punt it long, any suggestion?)

FB: Pass it shorter, Cross from byline, Shoot less often, Get further forward

BPD: Pass it shorter, Dribble more

CD: Pass it shorter, Take fewer risks

CWB: Pass it shorter, Dribble more, Shoot less often

REG: Pass it shorter, Shoot less often, Stay wider

RPM: Pass it shorter, Shoot less often, Dribble more, Run wide with the ball, Close down less

T: Pass it shorter, Shoot less often

AP: Pass it shorter, Roam from position, Move into channels

IW: Pass it shorter, Shoot less often, Stay wider

AF: Pass it shorter

NOTE: i’m not an expert in this at all, and i’m sure some of this are redundant or even actively affecting the way we play, but i honestly wouldn’t know, so please let me know what you think! which ones should stay or go?

13 hours ago, hehehemann said:

I dont like the AF position at all. It encourages too many long balls. Instead I settled on the Poacher role.

thank you for your input! that’s a good call, it’s just silly that when the ball carrier has quite literally 5 players around him to play a pass, he decides to launch the ball into stratosphere in hopes of the AF getting to it. i was already thinking of a poacher as an alternative, gonna give it a try.

13 hours ago, hehehemann said:

I also use a balanced approach and switch this to positive or cautious depending on the scoreline/aim of my match outcome. 

yep, that’s something i’ve played around now that we have started the league games in the test save. there’s some matches were the players just go haywire and pretend they are playing on very attacking, so i turn it down to balanced until we get more control of the match and then maybe go back up to positive if we haven’t scored yet by then. 

as of the videos, ended up posting them on youtube, please enjoy! maybe these will encourage you to try this for yourselves and hopefully improve upon it

https://youtu.be/UvbkiiZD5Dw

https://youtu.be/wnY6PztYtqU

https://youtu.be/7pHAmO8B6zs

https://youtu.be/_WL3i_CIBkk

https://youtu.be/PKLnxARwnUY

https://youtu.be/JA9lXXbkXso

https://youtu.be/Quxq6Wx-9mU

So basically, what this boils down to, is having one playmaker being surrounded by five or six players, giving him plenty of passing options in theory. Maybe we can "cheat" a bit, by using a positional play light? I.e. sort of imagining the positions the players may have to end up, to be fully effective? 

As for the striker: I also had my problems with the Advanced Forward, as he wasted too many chances. As I said, you probably need a Haaland-type of striker. But maybe a Complete Forward on attack could do the trick? Still scoring goals, but also being more involved in build-up and perhaps also playing more one-two passes? I may try that out.

Hey guys, 

I’ve found some more interesting reading material which thought you might like! 

https://medium.com/@stirlingj1982/dice-games-e05bded72596

https://www.osegundovolante.com/post/tactical-analysis-henrik-rydström-malmö-tactics-analysis

https://youtu.be/UqIzAmSadd0

Let me know what you think! 

*Edit* 

@Cleon has also just released 5 in-depth articles on the topic over on twitter!! Been waiting for this 😍

Edited by jc577

• 4 weeks later...

Love this thread, and some excellent tactical analysis by OP that is rivalled only by one or two other write-ups I've seen on the subject. I've spent the last week or two trying to recreate this style of football in FM, and have tried multiple different ways to make it work. First things first, you CAN get 7 players, including the ball carrier, to tilt to the ball-side of the pitch. The downside is you need to use wide center backs, which are exactly what this tactic needs. However, to do this in game we have to have a third CB, meaning we have to sacrifice somewhere else on the pitch. For this example, I was playing strikerless, with Ganso as a CAM Treq. With strikerless not being as strong as in previous games, this seems to, on average, lead to fewer goalscoring opportunities than having a striker involved.

For the CD I went with Libero, with the idea being that they would push up the center channel whilst facing the ball-side. This didn't really work, as the Libero is very keen to stay central and doesn't show for the ball often, and will get stuck hanging behind the midfielders. It can work sometimes, but infrequently. I had better examples of the Libero coming to the ball than this that I didn't capture as screenshots, but these instances were limited to only a few times per match. This appears to be about as far as we can push the match engine, without getting into stuff I personally don't want to do, like stacking one side of the pitch in the formation itself (this can work as shown by RDF Tactics, but I'd prefer a team that can tilt to either side). 

A few other observations from my testing across multiple formation variations:

1. Escadinhas actually appear very frequently, but are never utilized. Cool to see but I'd love to see them actually work in a future FM title.
2. Not only does this strategy need the right players, but I suspect they need to have the right PPMs. I have a hunch that with a number of players with "plays one-twos," "tries tricks" and "comes deep to get ball," this could end up looking a lot closer to the real thing. I'm tempted to grab an FMRTE license just to test this, but I might just do it the hard way by building a team around this tactic over a few seasons.
3. You need two 8s to really pull this off in any capacity, or at least two DMs who are willing to roam and run. The midfield players will score a lot of goals/have a lot of shots, so for the sake of actually winning football matches, try to find players with good long shots.
4. I suspect "be more expressive" is contributing to players semi-frequently making the decision to go more direct, and the midfielders shooting from distance as often as they do, but it seems too counter-intuitive to the philosophy of the tactic to turn it off.

image.thumb.png.e769cc799489a47e30a8fa150ee1beb6.png

Edited by DannyKjr

Apologies for the rapid posts, but I threw one last attempt at the wall today and actually got some promising results. Having noticed that in my two-striker systems, my strikers seem willing to roam pretty far from their designated side, I figured I'd go a little wild and try a double trequartista at striker. This is only based on 55 minutes of football (watching full match), but the far-side treq is very willing to drift to the ball side and create an 8-man tilt. In this case, Arias is the STCL, and is the one unmarked player (I couldn't seem to click on him behind his marker). Possession has just been played back to Guga by Pirani, to be yo-yo'd back into the tilt. Definitely some experimentation to be done with F9s, DLFs or CFs and some player instructions, I think.

You can see though that the gaps in our shape have been exploited for a number of high-quality chances by solid opposition. The wide press actually works well, since in systems without wing presence, midfielders will shift across to cover off the wide passing lanes. Once they find a central option and switch the ball though, we've been punished frequently, so some more tweaks might be needed. I think this could look like something really dynamic with, again, the right PPMs and full tactical familiarity, and good team cohesion.

8 man tilt.png

8 man tilt formation.png

Edited by DannyKjr

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/08/2023 at 11:41, DannyKjr said:

Love this thread, and some excellent tactical analysis by OP that is rivalled only by one or two other write-ups I've seen on the subject. I've spent the last week or two trying to recreate this style of football in FM, and have tried multiple different ways to make it work. First things first, you CAN get 7 players, including the ball carrier, to tilt to the ball-side of the pitch. The downside is you need to use wide center backs, which are exactly what this tactic needs. However, to do this in game we have to have a third CB, meaning we have to sacrifice somewhere else on the pitch. For this example, I was playing strikerless, with Ganso as a CAM Treq. With strikerless not being as strong as in previous games, this seems to, on average, lead to fewer goalscoring opportunities than having a striker involved.

For the CD I went with Libero, with the idea being that they would push up the center channel whilst facing the ball-side. This didn't really work, as the Libero is very keen to stay central and doesn't show for the ball often, and will get stuck hanging behind the midfielders. It can work sometimes, but infrequently. I had better examples of the Libero coming to the ball than this that I didn't capture as screenshots, but these instances were limited to only a few times per match. This appears to be about as far as we can push the match engine, without getting into stuff I personally don't want to do, like stacking one side of the pitch in the formation itself (this can work as shown by RDF Tactics, but I'd prefer a team that can tilt to either side). 

A few other observations from my testing across multiple formation variations:

1. Escadinhas actually appear very frequently, but are never utilized. Cool to see but I'd love to see them actually work in a future FM title.
2. Not only does this strategy need the right players, but I suspect they need to have the right PPMs. I have a hunch that with a number of players with "plays one-twos," "tries tricks" and "comes deep to get ball," this could end up looking a lot closer to the real thing. I'm tempted to grab an FMRTE license just to test this, but I might just do it the hard way by building a team around this tactic over a few seasons.
3. You need two 8s to really pull this off in any capacity, or at least two DMs who are willing to roam and run. The midfield players will score a lot of goals/have a lot of shots, so for the sake of actually winning football matches, try to find players with good long shots.
4. I suspect "be more expressive" is contributing to players semi-frequently making the decision to go more direct, and the midfielders shooting from distance as often as they do, but it seems too counter-intuitive to the philosophy of the tactic to turn it off.

image.thumb.png.e769cc799489a47e30a8fa150ee1beb6.png

I've actually seen my team doing the escadinhas, but it seemed that the receiver was indeed the designated receiver and the dummy was only a player whom the ball just happen to run across. As such, the dummy didn't actually do anything since the opponents seemed to already know who's going to receive the ball.

Now escadinhas is a fairly complex and understudied technique so I can excuse its absence in FM, but I believe one-twos and pass-and-move should be something we can implement with our tactics, especially when the former is already a PPM, I don't think there'd be problems in an option to encourage one-twos through player/team instructions. Hopefully SI will consider it for this year's FM.

Edited by Germaniac

Very good article analysis and tactical approach to replicate a tactic .

bu I believe that is not a plug n play tactic and the team has to have a certain type of players to play with this .

so by your knowledge what kind of players need by position which are the most crucial characteristics?

hey guys, what’s your take on what combination of passing directness, tempo and mentality works best for this style? because from what i understand, the idea is to play risky passes into congested areas, which normally would be avoided, but this doesn’t really happen in the current ME. i’ve been playing with higher tempo, much shorter passing and positive mentality, but i found that it made us loose the ball too often to miss placed passes or long balls. then i tried lowering the tempo and mentality and it’s okay, but anything below balanced is too different of an approach for me 

12 hours ago, ivosaurio said:

hey guys, what’s your take on what combination of passing directness, tempo and mentality works best for this style? because from what i understand, the idea is to play risky passes into congested areas, which normally would be avoided, but this doesn’t really happen in the current ME. i’ve been playing with higher tempo, much shorter passing and positive mentality, but i found that it made us loose the ball too often to miss placed passes or long balls. then i tried lowering the tempo and mentality and it’s okay, but anything below balanced is too different of an approach for me 

I think Player Traits will play a large part here...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Rashidi changed the title to FUNCTIONAL PLAY vs POSITIONAL PLAY - Replicating Fluminense

Looking forward to this. 

I've personally been debating running something along these lines, or reverting to my usual of a JdP recreation. 

I think with the new updates and positions, I'll be doing a positional play go first, but I'll be closely following this as I'll inevitably do a save with this approach second. 

22 hours ago, 04texag said:

Looking forward to this. 

I've personally been debating running something along these lines, or reverting to my usual of a JdP recreation. 

I think with the new updates and positions, I'll be doing a positional play go first, but I'll be closely following this as I'll inevitably do a save with this approach second. 

Yeah I know a lot of people have tried to do the team, and I have often said its impossible. So I thought I'd chronicle it here while doing the same thing on a video eventually.  With the positional play feature I am worried that it becomes too rigid. So I may update the research section which is the one I just posted with more key pass combinations from Ben Griffis. And also specific heatmaps for individual players to show which parts of the pitch they influence. I already have the with ball passing diagram which shows the ratio of passes for each player, length and direction.  So I wanna give this a good go. Credit to the rest though who have done a similar thing. Initially wanted to add this to their threads or merge them, but I was concerned it would appear as if I were hijacking it, seeing how its almost a 2000 word essay. Hopefully this doesnt end up like my theory of mentality thesis which i did in 2004.

@Fox-7-Can we merge the Fluminense replication threads. I have just started one, there might be another l, we could merge all three with yours being the main thread. My goal is to see how far I can get replicating it for FM24.  This way we have the discussion centred in your thread.

Great work on this thread, I had no idea it was this good, I normally never read another person's thread if I am planning a similar topic. I always read after the fact, and was surprised to find so many similarities. I have to admit Ben Griffis key maps are not easy to find. I only managed to find two for the team. My goal was to replicate their left sided emphasis. and also the tactical weakness of having Marcelo playing so high up in many transitions. Guga I found a lot less adventurous. This fluminense system is definitely not rock solid, its transitions always point to a colossal problem against teams that play direct with high tempo. They usually look like they are struggling. More and more times are now closing the channels to make it harder for them to go through them vertically. It will be interesting to see how Diniz adapts.

So like I said I had that left sided focus and achieved something I was happy with
1stPassmap.thumb.png.c63b2d696defee634d7969f3f23fba79.png

The tactic ended up looking like this the first time.

DIniz2.png.6a1bbe6e1bed8c5c42e682faf05f154b.png

I chose the TM(S) because of how the transitions affect him when he has lots of players around. He drops very deep lays off, and passes it to some one. Very much a give and go role. Yeah it scores some of the best goals I have seen on FM23, but its crazy weak down the left. I like to call that the Marcelo issue. 

I also created something a bit different. With the next tactic, its the left sided focus again to get a similar heatmap with those diagonals using Guga as the focal point of the defensive diagonal, but I also wanted the "boxes" which were such a hallmark of latin football. In this tactic we will have a box form in the defensive phase and then another box in the midfield phase. I really enjoyed this and wanted to thank everyone who was egging me on to do a Fluminense replication. 
Diniz1.png.364eb40ae934980001f3e5abbcb1a513.png

Ooh forgot to add, the keeper should be a sweeper keeper

Il 10/10/2023 in 21:10 , Rashidi ha scritto:

@Fox-7-Can we merge the Fluminense replication threads. I have just started one, there might be another l, we could merge all three with yours being the main thread. My goal is to see how far I can get replicating it for FM24.  This way we have the discussion centred in your thread.

It is a great honor for me to receive this degree of consideration from you @Rashidi

Unfortunately at the moment I can't play FM as much as I would like and dedicate the time and attention needed to test and fine-tune things. Furthermore, I see that you are already prepared for a replication on FM24, which I don't know if I will be able to do.

For this reasons I believe that the main thread on Diniz's football should be yours, which you will most likely have the opportunity to keep constantly updated unlike mine, and with a depth of knowledge of FM that is certainly better than mine.

Thanks also to all the users who have enriched the discussion in recent months :applause:

Nah I dont want to take any credit from the work you initially did, you got things off to a great start. With positional play being such a big part of FM24, I am not even sure functional play can even work. My gut tells me its going to be a strikerless system so i can get the escadinhas going. I will merge our threads together, so I can keep this going. At least all the information will be current, and it will still be your thread :-)

• 4 weeks later...

hey, how have your systems fared since the update? i have found that the development on implementing positional play has really affected the way we play :/ i’m yet to tweak anything with the old system, but from watching a few matches, i can see that we play way more rigidly and not close enough to form short passing plays or counter press effectively. it’s funny, because i always thought that players getting in the same positions helped to this cause, but that seems to have been ironed out

have you found a way to make it work?