What features must appear in FM24 for you to buy the upcoming edition?

Personally I'd prefer if SI just concentrated on polishing the game rather then introducing something new. I get some players might get annoyed by this if there was nothing new however the core is there, just need some dedicated time to get things better.

The biggest for me is AI team building. This seems to have got worse throughout the series and is very apparent in this years game. It starts off competitive but due to the AI's inability to build a team, you have a huge advantage over the game. As they favour the older players as well you can pick up youngsters pretty easy from them as well as they want to play.

Other things that need a polish, or even re-vamp, are Set-Pieces and International Management. This has been mentioned for quite some time and get's overlooked.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DarJ said:

this is mostly due to how you setup your scouting. Most of those old players come from their agents not the scouts and you can turn that off or lower the age of the players you want recommended from the agents

Perhaps, but I do set age parameters and still see players in their 30s in my focus recommendations.

I'm going to go on the most frequent frustrations that transcend any save I have on fm23, and for that matter, some older iterations too.

1. Automation is not good enough: I hire the top physios, and sports scientists. Yet the game only allows me to set training intensity guidelines per squad (the intensity set on the heart colour). I can click, 'set physio recommendation', but i can't tell the game to automatically apply physios recommendation. 

2. I want my guidelines for training to permeate what my assman sets up for training. I should be able to have a game review after every match. I should be able to rest players who played 60 mins / 75 mins / 90 mins for a day automatically as an automation option. 

3. The AI for my players isn't good enough. I used the editor to make a team of perfect players, as a test. 

Those players would make basic elemtary mistakes that would get academy players kicked out of a program. These are the ultimate elite players, who ought to be able to make good decisions on a moment to moment basis despite any team or player instructions that contradict. In essence, it doesn't feel like player stats. s actually differentiate players enough

4. The game just wants me more involved, but it isn't really management that is realistic. We hire staff to be able to delegate and not need to micromanage every little thing. If we want to, we have the option. But I want to be less involved in the nitty gritty and be the brain overseeing the master plan. 

Edited by robbbbbbb

5 hours ago, Andy1979 said:

Just one feature that if not removed will stop me getting the new game. Promises. Get rid there pointless.

There not pointless, granted sometimes players ask for promises that can be easily removed with zero negative impact, but sometimes a player is hard to negotiate with when they demand mandatory promises and may give you the edge when competing with other clubs for his signature.

4 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

In theory, if they worked properly. But:

1. They don't work properly and some have nebulous fail/success criteria

2. The promises they want half the time are bloody stupid.

This.

We should definitely develop a Versus mode. In Versus mode, Tournament mode should be more active, allowing us to conduct team selection through a bag system for draw purposes. We should also be able to utilize formats such as the Champions League, Europa League, and Conference League in Versus mode. Aren't these modes already licensed by FM? Why shouldn't we be able to use them in Versus mode as well? Additionally, we should have the option to choose whether matches are played at the home, away, or neutral venue. Versus mode should include modes such as Fast World Cup, Champions League, Europa League, Conference League, and Copa Libertadores..

CONCACAF region fix

National team overhaul or at least something more to do then just play games.

DoF mode, 1) where you can do anything apart from coaching or 2) you can only coach the team and the rest is up to the DoF

Edited by Cheez3y

On 06/06/2023 at 11:19, shirajzl said:

90% of you people here will buy FM 24 regardless of what you said in this thread.

You're completely right with your criticisms and wishes, but come November, the new version will be bought. And that's why your discontent will be ignored by SI.

Well, that's a good point. But the fact is that i skipped fm for the first time last year... tried it this weekend and i felt i am not missing nothing at all. I guess it can be a matter of 2 to 3 years, but if they keep ignoring the facts i believe the sales will start to decrease...

Since of late, my hate to offside rule, has grown since the var implementation, because a player's fingernail is offside, I would like for SI at least consider adding an option to consider between the classic offside rule and Wenger's purposal offside rule:

You will not be offside if any part of the body that can score a goal is in line with the last defender, even if other parts of the attacker's body are in front.

Is it difficult to implement dribbling in the match engine?

I remember reading that the SI match engine developers said it was very difficult to implement dribbling.

I would really like to see proper dribbling in FM24. In the current match engine, players with high individual skills and dribbling stats are not featured at all, only players with high speed are featured. 

FM18 was the last I got before deciding that the next FM I'd buy would have to include women's football. I'm still enjoying my FM18-save, 11k hours in, but I'm really hoping this will be the year.

I am already sold on FM24. Why?  

I was an avid FM player. My very first was FM08 (disc no longer works though) and I have FM09 - FM17 in Steam. I stopped playing in 2018 due to work-life balance (work, life, kids etc.). But last year I switched job and now I have 100% remote work. Hence, I started playing FM again but didn't buy the latest one, still playing FM17. I tried the 2023 demo and felt newer FM has too many changes and I feel some are good, and some are okay.  

Rather than buying FM23 at this point of time, I'll wait for FM24. I'll definitely buy because I want few real life football changes in my FM career. Namely, 5-sub rule, new UEFA tournaments, new generation of players etc. Going from 2017 to 2024 will be helluva jump and I am anticipating tough times at beginning. Also another reason is, I am Apple ecosystem person. FM now has native Apple silicon support, I'll love to run it in my Mac Studio.

Edited by Arijit

12 hours ago, Nikki said:

FM18 was the last I got before deciding that the next FM I'd buy would have to include women's football. I'm still enjoying my FM18-save, 11k hours in, but I'm really hoping this will be the year.

On Miles recent interview, it is unlikely Women's football to be in FM24. :(

Will AI team building ever be improved? Surely it directly hinders the Conference to Champions League winners narrative that makes FM so popular?

That literally doesn’t happen so much as it’s reliant on teams falling away and not doing so well - it’s what gives the human player the advantage. 

There’s a strong argument that’s actually a feature. It’s the FM ‘secret sauce’. 

Edited by DP

1 hour ago, grade said:

On Miles recent interview, it is unlikely Women's football to be in FM24. :(

That sounds unfortunate. Do you have a link for me or a place to look for this interview? I've been unable to find anything recent.

16 hours ago, Nikki said:

11000 hours? Wow, that's impressive.

Huge stuff. Everything I've been asking for in the past 2 years is actually getting addressed in FM25.

New bloody engine. It's gonna lead to improvement in every area of the game. To some people it might not seem like a big deal, but it is MASSIVE. The game might finally stop resembling a 15 year old product, and instead look and play like a modern game.

I understand that they had to sell FM24 as something that's also gonna have major improvements, but nothing can come close to what's in store for FM25.

Thank you SI for listening to us (or rather for realizing that stuff yourselves). I'm honestly way too excited now, even though this is not gonna happen until late 2024.

1 hour ago, (sic) said:

Huge stuff. Everything I've been asking for in the past 2 years is actually getting addressed in FM25.

New bloody engine. It's gonna lead to improvement in every area of the game. To some people it might not seem like a big deal, but it is MASSIVE. The game might finally stop resembling a 15 year old product, and instead look and play like a modern game.

I understand that they had to sell FM24 as something that's also gonna have major improvements, but nothing can come close to what's in store for FM25.

Thank you SI for listening to us (or rather for realizing that stuff yourselves). I'm honestly way too excited now, even though this is not gonna happen until late 2024.

I bet the new Unity Engine switch decision is mostly for graphical features introduction, UI/UX development wise little to nothing will change

Edit: Also although Unity has more capabilities for bigger scale game development, the engine now is famous for being bloated (very long loading time and very heavy processing load for no good reason) and very unstable/buggy in certain areas of it's engine, i hope the devs won't groan about it later :D

Edited by rrreee3

3 minutes ago, rrreee3 said:

I bet the new Unity Engine switch decision is mostly for graphical features introducion, UI/UX development wise little to nothing will change

I think they also mentioned something about UI, not sure. I'm on mobile right now, but I'll have to read it once again when I get home from work. Then I'll really be able to really take all this in and sum up my thoughts.

22 minutes ago, (sic) said:

I think they also mentioned something about UI, not sure. I'm on mobile right now, but I'll have to read it once again when I get home from work. Then I'll really be able to really take all this in and sum up my thoughts.

Well yeah, but UI changes are things that can be done easily/much easier than graphics because it's not as engine-dependent. While graphical improvements are more like "well since we have a better engine, we can do this,this, and this for the game's graphics that we can't do previously because of the previous engine's limitations"

Edited by rrreee3

36 minutes ago, rrreee3 said:

Well yeah, but UI changes are things that can be done easily/much easier than graphics because it's not as engine-dependent. While graphical improvements are more like "well since we have a better engine, we can do this,this, and this for the game's graphics that we can't do previously because of the previous engine's limitations"

Yeah, I know UI/UX can be improved regardless of the engine.

This is the quote I was referring to:

We’ve been working closely with Unity over the last few years to be able to deliver a whole new UI which will dramatically improve the ways you are able to interact with the game, both inside and outside of a matchday.

It basically means a UI/UX revamp, which does wonders for the way you play the game, and how it feels to play it.

While I'm a little disappointed that it means waiting another year for women's football, it does sound like the FM25 release is going to be a great moment to jump back in. I would not have expected to get this excited about a blog telling me to wait another year, but here we are. Can't wait.

Just two issues for me so far in what I think is a really good football management game . . .

1) stamina drops for players, particularly central defenders, seems excessive to me. Central defenders would get the full 90 minutes if playing just once a week and could usually do 120 minutes (e.g. extra time in a cup match). So this just needs a little tweak to correct. Playing twice a week over an extended period without rotation should see the catastrophic drops in stamina that we are seeing now.

2) fixture congestion, where you can end up playing 2 games a week for a couple of months, even if you are in League 1 (UK). The biggest problem is if you get through to the next rounds of the Carabao Cup or EFL Trophy and/or have postponements because of international call-ups. I am not certain about how the game engine re-arranges these fixtures, but it seems like it chooses the first available midweek date, rather than looking to find any free Saturdays later on in the season. I have had a season in League 1 where I had 9 games in December, but only 4 in April. Again, I think this might be quite a simple fix.

1 hora atrás, Nikki disse:

While I'm a little disappointed that it means waiting another year for women's football, it does sound like the FM25 release is going to be a great moment to jump back in. I would not have expected to get this excited about a blog telling me to wait another year, but here we are. Can't wait.

Yeah, I was also hoping for it this year, but at least now we know exactly when we're getting it. Plus Unity and other things are coming so it will be nice, but still a long wait.

12 hours ago, rrreee3 said:

I bet the new Unity Engine switch decision is mostly for graphical features introduction, UI/UX development wise little to nothing will change

Edit: Also although Unity has more capabilities for bigger scale game development, the engine now is famous for being bloated (very long loading time and very heavy processing load for no good reason) and very unstable/buggy in certain areas of it's engine, i hope the devs won't groan about it later :D

18 months from launch and already the first moan loool. You can’t win SI! 

(I’m sure you’re not moaning really rrreee! 

Don't think anything will make me buy FM24 after that blog/ update.

Promising words but don't see them adding/ changing FM24 much at all considering their plans for FM25. Will be a wait for FM25 for me instead.

36 minutes ago, aiston said:

Don't think anything will make me buy FM24 after that blog/ update.

Promising words but don't see them adding/ changing FM24 much at all considering their plans for FM25. Will be a wait for FM25 for me instead.

same...fm24 is just a data update

19 minutes ago, the_hdk said:

They said specifically in the article about FM24 being ahead of schedule and a love letter to the series, and about being disappointed with 23, so it's clearly not going to be just a data update.

8 minutes ago, Dotsworthy said:

They said specifically in the article about FM24 being ahead of schedule and a love letter to the series, and about being disappointed with 23, so it's clearly not going to be just a data update.

I don't know how someone people can conclude from the article that FM24 is just going to be a data update after acknowledging that FM23 was bad.

We all know now that the big changes are coming in 25 but that doesn't have to necessarily take away from FM24 

3 hours ago, SimonHoddle said:

18 months from launch and already the first moan loool. You can’t win SI! 

(I’m sure you’re not moaning really rrreee! 

It is impossible to please everyone. there will be moans for FM24, for 25, for women's football or the UI continue button goes to lower left side. :P

Despite my criticisms of SI decisions as of late, I think SI should do the game they are pleased with. If the majority of people criticise some aspect of UI or match engine, they then adjust accordingly. A no brainer, right?

I for one, kinda exciting, that we are getting proper new features and revamp game, some big leap for graphics. I hope they do more frequent Dev Diaries, when they start releasing info about FM25, next year, around this time (we are at the end of Q2 of 2023). I hope they are bold on UI and graphics engine, and deliver something exiting and refreshing.

36 minutes ago, DarJ said:

I don't know how someone people can conclude from the article that FM24 is just going to be a data update after acknowledging that FM23 was bad.

We all know now that the big changes are coming in 25 but that doesn't have to necessarily take away from FM24 

I agree it isn't that stark, but I don't think it's massively surprising for some people to see FM24 in a more negative light based on that announcement.  They spend a few paragraphs talking about how they weren't happy with FM23, and that FM24 will be more feature-rich (the jukebox on repeat somewhat with the last part) but the lions-share of the article is how amazing the version after is going to be.  Now I know the context probably doesn't match that, but as a piece of marketing, I'm not sure it's going to be quite as effective at purely shifting units of FM24.  Obviously that's going to be incredibly hard to quantify, and I'm no marketeer, but I'm surprised they've been so bold in announcing so much about FM25 when they've still to properly announce 24.  I would've expected them to maybe allude towards what they said, but get the release of 24 out of the way, then go ham on a proper long run up to getting 25 out.  

End of the day, 24 will still sell at the usual high levels.  I'll probably buy it too.  I just think it was an interesting choice.

I think FM24 will be the last balanced game for a couple of years...

Or I really hope It will be because a new graphics engine is a HUGE change....

It's a lot more complicated than improving the current one, so my guess is FM26 or FM27 will be the best game they ever produced, simply because FM25 will be riddled with bugs...

But there is no other way of us getting a new graphics engine so I look forward to both 24 and FM25.

Edited by FM1000

I shall probably end up getting FM24 anyway. The way I work things out, these games are ridiculously cheap. Divide the cost of the game by the number of hours played and then compare that number with the cost of watching 60 minutes of football at any level you like really. I look at it like this because I am retired now and no longer like standing/sitting in the cold to watch a game live.

Something I'd like to have included all though a managers say is prob never considered is the design of a new stadium.

My main goal when ever I play, is to get a new stadium and I feel the designs / back ground graphics of stadiums really lets me down.

Seeing a stand not connected / having the corners filled in really gets to me.

8 horas atrás, the_hdk disse:

They said that FM24 is gonna be the most complete game they will make until now, so I don't think it will be just a data update. In my opinion they are preparing everybody for the big changes in FM25, and also dodging the hate when FM24 launches and the graphics still will be more of the same. They know that the hardcore playerbase is slowly losing trust in them.

7 hours ago, masno said:

They know that the hardcore playerbase is slowly losing trust in them

If you say so... The only thing I need from FM24 is that it's a game called Football Manger 2024. I've played FM23 almost every day since the beta launched; if there was a way to buy the next version now I'd happily give my money to SI.

You're allowed a different opinion.

honestly. the fact that Miles himself admits that FM23 wasn't all that great or not as great as he'd hope gives a lot more respect for SI.

It's not often devs will openly critize their own games.

With that said, I'm almost certian FM24 will just be FM23.5 but overall I'm very happy to hear the plans for FM25 now. SI is fully aware of these posts we've been making and they've taken action.

I'm stoked for the future of FM25. A fresh engine is going to be HUGE. I got faith in the team

Not required for me to buy.. but after a long hiatus from the game and coming back to 23.. I would like some sort of option to make finances more, realistic? Once you get money, game becomes a snowball of ease...

Edited by umbrammortis

For the most important thing is to make the game more difficult. Right now it's way to easy to win... after a couple of seasons it becomes boring.

• I would like to see AI building better teams.
  • Build much more sophisticated options for tactics (both for the team and for the single roles/positions). The tactical part of the game is way too simple, there is a big gap between what you can do and what you see in the real world: isn't this supposed to be a simulation game?
  • It's too easy to operate in the transfer market and build an incredible team

Graphic is important as many people are saying here, but for me the most fun is about:

• being engaged and challenged. 
  • simulate those tactical innovations I see in the real world

22 hours ago, forameuss said:

Now I know the context probably doesn't match that, but as a piece of marketing, I'm not sure it's going to be quite as effective at purely shifting units of FM24.  Obviously that's going to be incredibly hard to quantify, and I'm no marketeer, but I'm surprised they've been so bold in announcing so much about FM25 when they've still to properly announce 24. 

I think they're getting it out the way early so as not to distract from FM24. Creates a lot of buzz and generates excitement for ithe brand while tempering expectations of what scope of changes to judge FM24 on. People won't be complaining about graphics and UI if they know it's coming a year later. And they've been some of the biggest complaints I've seen this year, so now people know they've been heard. I imagine this will be it until Q2 next year after the last FM24 update. There's still (at a guess) 3 months until FM24 release so plenty of time to build that up before it's release once all the FM25 excitement dies down a bit.