Never had a wonderkid...

This has only started bothering me this year but going back over some old saves I still have on 21 and 22 and my (admittedly patchy) memory It seems to be a long standing issue.

I've been playing FM for a long time and I normally do 2 long term, single-club saves on each game. I look to upgrade youth recruitment and facilities as well as hiring the best HoYD I can as a priority and yet I don't think I've ever had a wonderkid, including 20 years with Everton on FM23. 

This isn't a gripe with the game, I'm just puzzled as to how it works as I can't seem to reliably get anybody through my intake into the first team. So, what am I doing wrong? 

I really think it's just (bad) luck. I've had one in a save last year even without great facilities or HoYD present. He even listed the club as his favorite (supporter)! Tore the league up age 16 and 17, sold him, brought him back when he was 25 and did it again. He could've been sold again for 100M+ but he never left and he never complained :D Was a dream that was.

I don't make much an effort to hire wonderkids. If my board expects me to bring in young players, I apply a few filters in my search page: under 18, some high attribute (technique or speed or ability, etc. above 15), and have a column for 'minimum release fee' on. That's how I end up buying high-quality youth on the cheap. See the image below. I suspect Jose Ignacio Ortiz would be a great buy. He's only 16.

image.thumb.png.5fc0ffe9e2571877f363b27e0622b20e.png

Edited by phd_angel