Recreating Eddie Howe's Newcastle United 4-3-3

45 minutes ago, cocoadavid said:

Amazing! I think this is how a post about recreating a team's tactic should look like, backed up by data and charts. One of the best post I've seen in a while.

Thanks!

--------

I've just finished the season using this recreation and we actually managed to take the title race to the last day, with an 89th minute Jack Grealish goal clinching a 0-1 win away at Brentford to break our hearts :(. It was quite a low points tally to win it, but I'll certainly take 81 points and 104 goals!

image.thumb.png.4d97028eb48c0b3a42bda37e03d8350b.png

--------

Despite only managing 2 goals in his first half of the season, Big Dan Burn went on a big scoring run in the second half of the season and it turns out the corner tactic I posted earlier might be a bit of an accidental exploit! :D. He managed 16 goals in total haha. 

We had Trippier out for 6 weeks and Isak out for 3 months in the back end of the season which was a bit of a blow. We had to rely on Wilson as the sole striker at the club, but fortunately he stayed fit.

We also made a couple of verstaile January additions to add for squad rotation in James Maddison who could cover 4 positions for us, Alex Scott as back up right wing back and regista and Angelo as a prospect. 

Here's our typical starting XI and how individuals performed over the whole season:

image.thumb.png.7b8858ef6ee3fd420ca2aff28c796245.png

---------

and our results post WC:

image.thumb.png.1c340eeb5477128f840f8f3bf76f9a49.png

---------

Some other data that came out of the season which I was pleased with:

image.png.5480b9fdb190ce784f1e0c95c8770b0b.png

image.png.c44947bc22266eea932af0a9239ee6a9.png

We had Trippier fulfilling his role as chief creator and progressor very well, with lots of open play creation in addition to his set pieces.

----

image.png.84e432e38ac287a078241b4b67742e3e.png

One feature of Newcastle's defensive play which I forgot to mention was that in his hybrid LCB/LB role, Dan Burn basically prevents the opposition from being able to switch the ball to his flank in the air due to his size. I was please to see he's made a large amount of interceptions for us despite us being a front foot side. 

----

Bimage.png.cbf490857d0c124a73cc15d65e552149.png

Bruno Guimaraes continued his role as one of the most progressive passers in the league. 

----

image.png.9282bb43a176601a0d0c9ce7e554632e.png  image.png.9f19e6de35b2a179a9a8e7cbec2ecbf4.png

Our midfielders and forwards ran a lot

----

image.png.23751fdb8ddc82c74f96811fe52aee6f.png

We managed to achieve our aim of getting Joe Willock into goalscoring chances from midfield. He ended the season with 12 goals and 10 assists in the league. 

----

image.png.57aaba331e4cc438702d0cc469bdf87b.png

Our left sided forwards carried the ball a lot whilst our right sided ones were more conservative with their dribbling. 

That looks really good, this is the second recreation I've seen that uses a back 3 to get a back 4. The WCB has to be really good to cover the left half space and the left flank, I suppose the regista defends the space in front of the defence and mezzala helps when the ball goes out wide.

3 hours ago, De Nile said:

That looks really good, this is the second recreation I've seen that uses a back 3 to get a back 4. The WCB has to be really good to cover the left half space and the left flank, I suppose the regista defends the space in front of the defence and mezzala helps when the ball goes out wide.

yes, I think the LCB being more athletic profile could be a major upgrade to this tactic. Occasionally if the ball is on the other flank they are caught too far inside and leaving the opposition winger free, so some speed to get out and engage if the ball is switched would be useful. If you added a Gvardiol or Nathan Ake-type there I daresay that would be the ideal kind of profile for the role. I have retrained Matt Targett to play there and he has done well as a back up to Burn.

The LW actually comes back to help on defence more than I expected, but I am tempted to try changing the role to a support duty in an attempt add a bit more defensive stability and to get them to pick the ball up deeper to be a pure ball carrier. The only worry is the tactic might lose some of the half space dominance on that side - so far having two players (LCM and LW) seeking to abuse the channel between the opposition's right full back and CB whilst we overload and build down the right flank seems to be a very effective tactic. 

The mezzala plays almost exactly how I wanted them to. They are basically a pure transition player who is great on the counter, and Joe Willocks speed, dribbling and off the ball attributes are perfectly suited to the role. I just wish he could finish better!

In my next season I am focussing on trying to add some more defensive solidity, but rather than changing the tactic too much I am doing this mainly by signing players who are better at defending. 

So far I have signed Declan Rice to play as the b2b midfielder, and I'm going to try moving Joelinton into the mezzala role to see if he can start winning some more tackles (tackling 17, work rate & stamina 18) higher up the field from our press. He may not get the goals that Willock gets though, so we will have to see if I can train him to gain the gets into opposition area trait and see how that goes. I've also signed Skriniar to play as the CB, so Botman has moved to take the LCB role and Maxence Lacroix has come in to add some badly needed pace to the backline at RCB. I think if I were the Newcastle recruitment team these are the kind of profiles I would be looking to sign IRL this summer to improve this system - strong, tall, athletic players who can play a bit but understand their defensive duties above all else.

Edited by Smallen

On 21/05/2023 at 17:30, Smallen said:

- Frequently time waste to reflect time taken over set-pieces. Should in theory help with player's condition. 

Excellent OP, thank you for taking the time and sharing this with the community.

in regards to the quoted - Have you seen if this has helped with player condition as your save progressed?

2 hours ago, RiverReveal666 said:

Excellent OP, thank you for taking the time and sharing this with the community.

in regards to the quoted - Have you seen if this has helped with player condition as your save progressed?

It's not something I've been able to prove, no. But in theory, the less time the ball is in play the less my players will be sprinting about and tiring themselves out. I posted the physical output data earlier and the team is managing a lot of high intensity sprints, but is largely avoiding injuries and managing to complete full games, so perhaps it's contributing? I'm not sure. 

32 minutes ago, mrjun said:

great post! love your Eddie's interpretation tactic. Qn, is there a reason you're not using Winger Role for your LW ? since there's a Mezzala next to him, Winger provides natural width. @Smallen

I will maybe get some examples later when I’m home of how this works, but I don’t want the LW to always be a touchline player like the winger role would be. I also don’t really want them crossing the ball much as that’s not something the left side of Howe’s team does. They prefer to either cut inside for a shot or through ball, or recycle possession around the box.

Sometimes I want them to hold width (and in the ME they do tend to do this in the first phase of build up as my screenshot of the 3-2-5 shape shows), but I also want them to combine with the mezzala to overload the channel between the full back and centre back.

Sometimes I also want the mezzala to overlap them on the outside too.

Edited by Smallen

Been trying this out and enjoying the results and football so far. Only issue I'm having so far is the LW getting poor ratings. Tried a few players there and nothing seems to work properly, could be an issue with personnel on my end tbf

6 hours ago, Smallen said:

Sometimes I want them to hold width (and in the ME they do tend to do this in the first phase of build up as my screenshot of the 3-2-5 shape shows), but I also want them to combine with the mezzala to overload the channel between the full back and centre back.

here's an example of just this, @mrjun

The stay wider inverted winger holds their width until the mezzala attracts the full back; opening up the channel between full back and centre back for the inverted winger to attack. The IW then attracts the centre back, opening up the space for the ST. 

A lovely goal. Nice and direct. 

17 hours ago, JonnyHughes said:

Been trying this out and enjoying the results and football so far. Only issue I'm having so far is the LW getting poor ratings. Tried a few players there and nothing seems to work properly, could be an issue with personnel on my end tbf

yeah, I'm yet to try this with other teams. There might be some player traits that don't work there, I'm not sure without testing further. I might try this out with Brighton for a season.

I'll also add that Allan Saint-Maximin started the season poorly for me at LW so I moved Isak there and he started playing well. Then Isak got injured for 3 months so I had to go back to ASM and he was on fire and became undroppable :D. I think players can be very streaky on FM this year. 

Another thing I've found - since changing my CB from a left-footed player to a right-footed player I don't think we are playing down the right as much as I'd like us to. I will keep testing this, but obviously a lot of this tactic is designed around building most attacks down the right so that might be a problem. 

Edited by Smallen

6 hours ago, Smallen said:

yeah, I'm yet to try this with other teams. There might be some player traits that don't work there, I'm not sure without testing further. I might try this out with Brighton for a season.

I'll also add that Allan Saint-Maximin started the season poorly for me at LW so I moved Isak there and he started playing well. Then Isak got injured for 3 months so I had to go back to ASM and he was on fire and became undroppable :D. I think players can be very streaky on FM this year. 

Another thing I've found - since changing my CB from a right-footed player to a left-footed player I don't think we are playing down the right as much as I'd like us to. I will keep testing this, but obviously a lot of this tactic is designed around building most attacks down the right so that might be a problem. 

They've given Maximin pretty poor stats to be a IW: no end product, poor mentals, and no ability to help out in the buildup play.

• Try him as a Winger (a) on the right for a natural fit, although I get that he's an impact sub for Newcastle off the left this season. If you wanted a higher impact role for him on the left, try him as a W(a) on the left anyways, where he'll come inside a bit more before of his right footedness. 
  • Sticking likes to round the keeper in his PIs will help unlock him as well

I've been experimenting with leaving time wasting on in my tactics as well, do you find it slows down your attacks too much? I've yet to see a player ever get booked for time wasting in the ME so that's nice!

Edited by Cloud9

19 hours ago, Smallen said:

here's an example of just this, @mrjun

The stay wider inverted winger holds their width until the mezzala attracts the full back; opening up the channel between full back and centre back for the inverted winger to attack. The IW then attracts the centre back, opening up the space for the ST. 

A lovely goal. Nice and direct. 

perfect explanation, I see it. it does seem that the LW cuts in early (slightly above middle third) and cuts in. do you use the role 100% of the time, for 90mins? or do you vary it, with example the last 10mins of the game, you use Wide Target Man, or Winger.. to spread the RB away from his CBs ? @Smallen

Edited by mrjun

16 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

They've given Maximin pretty poor stats to be a IW: no end product, poor mentals, and no ability to help out in the buildup play.

• Try him as a Winger (a) on the right for a natural fit, although I get that he's an impact sub for Newcastle off the left this season. If you wanted a higher impact role for him on the left, try him as a W(a) on the left anyways, where he'll come inside a bit more before of his right footedness. 
  • Sticking likes to round the keeper in his PIs will help unlock him as well

Yeah, as I say he started poorly for me but when I brought him back in the second half of the season his form really picked up and he contributed goals and assists. 

Asking him to take less risks, shoot less often and cross left often is what I've done to try and make him a good ball carrier in transition and I think he works well for that. There are reasons I've not used the winger role as I've outlined in a post above. 

16 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I've been experimenting with leaving time wasting on in my tactics as well, do you find it slows down your attacks too much? I've yet to see a player ever get booked for time wasting in the ME so that's nice!

No, I haven't noticed that. We managed 104 league goals with the original Newcastle squad so our attacking play wasn't a problem. We were just conceding too much which is what I'm trying to work on next...

Edited by Smallen

This was a really good read and an interesting take on Eddie's tactics, particularly your choice of formation. A little disappointing that it appears you happened upon some sort of corner exploit but impressive recreation all the same.

Great read and the closest recreation I've seen to EH. Especially the link up down the right side and also the the way the Mez performs. Willock currently on 15 goals and 2 assists in 34 games.

@Smallen Interested to know what changes you make, if any, for games against bigger sides. I've tried going to a back four with a FBs with Hold potistion and Sit Narrower. Also switching the Regista to DLPs for more defensive solidity but I lose a lot of attacking threat. 

7 minutes ago, alanfishead said:

Great read and the closest recreation I've seen to EH. Especially the link up down the right side and also the the way the Mez performs. Willock currently on 15 goals and 2 assists in 34 games.

@Smallen Interested to know what changes you make, if any, for games against bigger sides. I've tried going to a back four with a FBs with Hold potistion and Sit Narrower. Also switching the Regista to DLPs for more defensive solidity but I lose a lot of attacking threat. 

I've struggled against the big teams. 

However, one thing that seems to have started working for me - when I'm facing a bigger team with a central striker who has the "likes to beat offside trap" I've found them to be pretty deadly against this tactic. Rashford played there for Man U in a game and tore me apart, Haaland did and tore us apart (but we beat City when he didn't play) as well. So now on those games I've changed the central CB to a cover duty and that seems to work better for those games (but only those games - it's worse in other games when I've tried it).

I'm going to start trying a mid or even low block (but same PI/OIs) in these games too I think. Newcastle have played a lower block against these teams away from home at times IRL this season so it's worth trying to make it work.

----   

Another thing I'm going to try at some point is creating a second tactic for how Howe plays against teams who play with a 5-3-2 or 5-2-2-1. When the opposition have a very narrow pressing structure like this Howe changes the back four quite dramatically. He'll play Trippier much deeper and narrower, with Burn taking up a very similar position on the other side and he'll build with more of a 4-2 shape where both full backs are always free for a switch of play. He did this the other night against Leicester and has done it vs Spurs this season too. 

13 hours ago, Smallen said:

I'm going to start trying a mid or even low block (but same PI/OIs) in these games too I think. Newcastle have played a lower block against these teams away from home at times IRL this season so it's worth trying to make it work.

I've been trying something similar but still tweaking. Just played Liverpool at home and started with the standard tactic trying to get off to a fast start which worked. Went 2-0 up early. Towards the end of the half though, Liverpool really pushed forward and we struggled to contain them and they got one back. Switched to this at half time. 

Away.png.40a20e348dafec8d632393f3b458ba07.png  

Changes to PIs:

CMs

CM.png.06f780d1731a9bbf7136e080beea538d.png

FBs

DL.png.86a38ea70f168f98547a243249cde7b8.png

We were so much better defensively in the second half and great on the counter. Eventually finished with a 5-1 win. Obviously this is situational and was mainly driven by Liverpool wide players running riot cutting inside and getting in behind. So I dropped to a back 4 but still allowing Trips to get forward on the break. Dan Burn at LB still acted as a third CB when in possession so patterns of play still similar. Won't work in every game, but just and idea of what can work.

Momentum.png.65ee290b3333464ca15042d972346d55.png

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic post and really interesting insight. As a Newcastle fan I've sat and thought how to replicate Howe's tactics for ages and in all honesty I was very close to this version and really thought about deploying Burn as a FB (def) or WCB (def) but didn't like the exposure to that flank. I also did not utilize the PIs as much as I should. I don't feel like this is a plug and play when I use this moving forwards, more so filling in the blanks. Thank you!

Edit: To add further critique to myself, I  was too structured in the formation trying to fit into a 4-1-2-2-1 and felt in my head I'd often seen Joelinton pop-up IRL on the left hand-side so was struggling with that. Shame Longstaff isn't more effective on FM23 he's been key for us this season, sorely missed him when he was injured. It has been a joy to watch every game this season which I never thought I'd say being a Newcastle fan :D

20230602225441_1.jpg

Edited by janesy20

Have been tweaking my original tactic a fair bit since posting but not happy with it yet. Also been working on a secondary tactic for when we play against a narrow pressing shape (5-3-2, 5-2-2-1 etc). These are some principles I want to implement though:

- More often than not, from goal kicks the backline will set up for short distribution but Pope will go long anyway. Form a data standpoint Pope is one of the longest kickers in the league and Newcastle don't seem to mind if this loses possession because the counter-press or ability to win the second ball high up is so strong. 

- Allow creative freedom to deviate from the attacking structure occasionally as outlined in the video posted a couple of posts up

- Getting Bruno Guimaraes forward more often in transitions to support counters

- Fabian Schar's long passes, switches of play and through balls to the LW:

Edited by Smallen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Interesting post and tactic. @Smallen what training regime do you use to ensure the squad plays with the intensity and fitness required to meet the demands of Howe's way of playing? I've done some research online, but there isn't much in the way of info out there as to what a general training week under Howe entails and looks like.

En 25/5/2023 a las 12:32, alanfishead dijo:

I've been trying something similar but still tweaking. Just played Liverpool at home and started with the standard tactic trying to get off to a fast start which worked. Went 2-0 up early. Towards the end of the half though, Liverpool really pushed forward and we struggled to contain them and they got one back. Switched to this at half time. 

Away.png.40a20e348dafec8d632393f3b458ba07.png  

Changes to PIs:

CMs

CM.png.06f780d1731a9bbf7136e080beea538d.png

FBs

DL.png.86a38ea70f168f98547a243249cde7b8.png

We were so much better defensively in the second half and great on the counter. Eventually finished with a 5-1 win. Obviously this is situational and was mainly driven by Liverpool wide players running riot cutting inside and getting in behind. So I dropped to a back 4 but still allowing Trips to get forward on the break. Dan Burn at LB still acted as a third CB when in possession so patterns of play still similar. Won't work in every game, but just and idea of what can work.

Momentum.png.65ee290b3333464ca15042d972346d55.png

hi, only u have 2 PI? or have more??

12 hours ago, Diverisma158 said:

hi, only u have 2 PI? or have more??

These are the 2 positions that are different to the original tactic that was created by @Smallen. I’ve changed the two I mentioned when moving into a back 4.

For reference, this same tactic doesn’t work that well in the FM24 ME currently but that might be down to initial bugs in the beta. Seen a lot of comments about high scoring games, poor goalkeeping etc which reflects what I see.

Using the new IFB role for Dan Burn sounds like it should work however IRL he still provides width albeit from a deep position. As an IFB he sits too narrow and doesn’t support the left wing enough. FBs is a closer replication of his positioning IMO with Schar staying wider on the opposite side.

Will start testing more once the full game is released.