Not scoring any direct free kicks - keeper always saves

So, 8 seasons in I have a free kick taker with 20 in free kick, and 19 in techniques, and "curls the ball" trait. He's yet to score a direct free kick goal. 
(His done so, with his national team, - generated match)

I've read several different posts about which attribute are the most important for freekick, and seen moderators from SI state that freekcik and Tech. is the only ones that's important. 

As stated he hasn't scored a single direct free kick goal yet. - The keeper always manages to save it, in the upmost top of the corner, like he's a reborn Buffon or P.Schmeichel.
There has been goals on the riposte, and such, but never a direct shot.

I remember a few FM games back where there was to many direct free kick goals, but it feels like its the opposite now. 

Decision 16, Strength 14 - and according to the moderators none of that matters, only technique and "Free kick" - Look at James ward prowse, his decision is 14 and strength 12, and he's one the best free kickers in the world.  

According to the game information:

Screenshot2023-05-20162629.png.c1e16c68ad0d41611a456bdf795ca66f.png

Free Kick, Long Shots, Passing, Crossing for Attacking Free Kicks. Traits will help a little bit more. Even having 20, it is not entitled will score more free kicks. It is not working like this.

Do you see many direct free kicks being scored in real life? I’m not sure you do - aside from the Trents and JWPs occasionally. 

Edited by Mst82

On 19/05/2023 at 17:57, ForzaInter said:

So, 8 seasons in I have a free kick taker with 20 in free kick, and 19 in techniques, and "curls the ball" trait. He's yet to score a direct free kick goal. 
(His done so, with his national team, - generated match)

I've read several different posts about which attribute are the most important for freekick, and seen moderators from SI state that freekcik and Tech. is the only ones that's important. 

As stated he hasn't scored a single direct free kick goal yet. - The keeper always manages to save it, in the upmost top of the corner, like he's a reborn Buffon or P.Schmeichel.
There has been goals on the riposte, and such, but never a direct shot.

I remember a few FM games back where there was to many direct free kick goals, but it feels like its the opposite now. 

How many do you expect per season, though? I think I looked a the stats and even the utmost top free kick takers average only a few per year. I think I looked at Ward-Prowse a few years back and he had an average of between 1 and 2 per season.

I just checked again now, and he has 17 free kick goals in 328 matches according to this article: https://thetopflight.com/2023/02/19/james-ward-prowse-premier-league-free-kick-record/

That means he score once every 19th-20th game on average, so about 1-2 per season.

Considering this is a very high number versus other players currently, perhaps it's not horribly off. How many seasons have you played him as your free kick taker without scoring? If you only have for a season or two, that's not far outside the realm of realism. If you say 5-10 season, then perhaps there is an issue.

Thx for all the inputs guys :)

I don't expect a lot of goals. As you stated XaW, and Mst82, not many goals are scored on direct free-kicks in real life. - However, i've used him as the main spot kicker for 3 years now, and he's yet to score. He's also corner taker, (20 corner, 18 vision, 17 passing - and curls the ball) and he's pure magic there. 

The "animation" makes the goalkeepers pull of some insane saves, which could be expected from good to great keepers, but even the bad ones does magic on the kicks. 
Maybe its just bad luck, but it is frustrating having a kicker that good, and not getting any goals from it. 

Valid point fc.cardoni - he 20 freekicks, 20 crossing, 16 long shots, 18 vision, 17 passing, 16 anticipation and 17 decision, so he's got some solid stats for at least a goal a year i would think :)

3 hours ago, ForzaInter said:

Thx for all the inputs guys :)

I don't expect a lot of goals. As you stated XaW, and Mst82, not many goals are scored on direct free-kicks in real life. - However, i've used him as the main spot kicker for 3 years now, and he's yet to score. He's also corner taker, (20 corner, 18 vision, 17 passing - and curls the ball) and he's pure magic there. 

The "animation" makes the goalkeepers pull of some insane saves, which could be expected from good to great keepers, but even the bad ones does magic on the kicks. 
Maybe its just bad luck, but it is frustrating having a kicker that good, and not getting any goals from it. 

Valid point fc.cardoni - he 20 freekicks, 20 crossing, 16 long shots, 18 vision, 17 passing, 16 anticipation and 17 decision, so he's got some solid stats for at least a goal a year i would think :)

You're better off just trying to get loads of throw ins. They're way more potent in this game.