[Discussion] Could need of updating added league files be avoided?

rristola

First, I'm not familiar with Editors. But I use Editor files a lot.

Problem that I would like to go away - with every database update there is also the need to update all league files. Is this really the best solution? Any other way to organize the structure of league files?

My idea is, that league files could be divided into two separate files - league rules etc. (everything NOT dependent on database) and the NEW part of league file (all dependent stuff).

But, as I wrote, I have no knowledge of what stuff there are in those league files and why they don't get verified with new databases, but I hate that good league files are not updated and therefore can't be used later on.

So, write comments - could this be done, need for this, etc.

34 minutes ago, FootballHedgehog said:

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this is an impossible ask because of how the database is structured. It would make things significantly easier on mod makers, but I don't think it's possible.

At least in some Steam games Mods can be dependent on some other Mod(s). One of them is Cities:Skylines, I think.

So, if the Editor first loads the vanilla database, could it then load also an another, user made Mod with league rules, and use them both at the same time adding/changing data into the other user made Mod, and SAVE them into two separate files?

All that data from user's database would be shown just the same way in the Editor as everything from the vanilla database. Or, maybe another color...

On the other hand, wouldn't it be much more easier to make those league structures. Just choose needed one from pulldown menu in every step. I have heard that getting those league rules to work correctly can be pain in the... It shouldn't be...

One problem is if teams have been deleted from the database in the update - I know that's caused problems for mod makers in the past.

If there's no issues the files will validate ok - what about a bulk validator so you don't have to do all your files individually?

12 hours ago, Supermercado99 said:

...if teams have been deleted from the database in the update...   ...what about a bulk validator...?

That first part. Exactly my point. If these Added League Mods (or even the whole vanilla game) would be separated into two parts, then the League Rules Part would always stay the same... Every season.

That league structure or pyramid with all rules would be the frame, where all these data units would be placed into. "Frame" can be changed, of course, and after that all bits of data would have to be placed again into the frame. But that's just what the Editor does, isn't it?

If someone wants to change something, that's fine. That would be called a Mod.

BTW, that teams have been deleted from the database is interesting - why that has to be done? I do understand, if that would happen before FM24, but...

That bulk validator - why not? But... could anyone get that to work correctly, if we can't get even single Mods validated?

On 17/05/2023 at 04:14, rristola said:

That first part. Exactly my point. If these Added League Mods (or even the whole vanilla game) would be separated into two parts, then the League Rules Part would always stay the same... Every season.

That league structure or pyramid with all rules would be the frame, where all these data units would be placed into. "Frame" can be changed, of course, and after that all bits of data would have to be placed again into the frame. But that's just what the Editor does, isn't it?

If someone wants to change something, that's fine. That would be called a Mod.

BTW, that teams have been deleted from the database is interesting - why that has to be done? I do understand, if that would happen before FM24, but...

That bulk validator - why not? But... could anyone get that to work correctly, if we can't get even single Mods validated?

One of the English lower league databases had an issue where some tiny team folded midway through this year so SI removed them from the database in an update. Then the editor data file was looking for a team ID that didn't exist anymore so couldn't validate.

Should never be an issue with a new game (unless a team dies right before the season) but can be an issue with mid-year database updates.

12 hours ago, Supermercado99 said:

..but can be an issue with mid-year database updates.

Yeah, but if things were done differently, there wouldn't be these problems. (I think.)

Example. Let's say that there is a team which will go bankruptcy in January 1.

That date is written down into "Career history".

If a (human) player wants to start a new game after that date, then team is already in bankruptcy, and he won't be able to choose its manager position, but...

if he begins his new game when season begins (August?), that team would still exist. He could even try to "save" it.

Anyway, that team would not vanish from the database.

But, anyway, those league rules are still the same, and those changes in database is a poor reason not to get League Mods validated.

There are teams, associations, and so many persons, staff and players, that something serious is bound to happen to someone in used database.