4-2-2-2 Red Bull Style

Hi

I'm struggling with having my hard working AM's (support duty) to get behind the ball in the defensive phase.

I want my team to play a very agresssive ball-oriented press (so no man marking), want direct or very direct passing, very high tempo. High defensive line, high block. But even on support duty, they initially stay in front of the ball. (And I want to stick to the template formations, limited as they be.)

So, most of the times, I play with these instructions:

Very Attacking mentality - for the extremely loud heavy metal football
(very) Direct passing
Play through the middle
Narrow width
Counter
Counterpress
Press Much more often
High Block
High defensive line
Force opposition outside

Player roles (can switch):

---------------SK(a)----------------

AWB(a)-CV(d)-CV(d)-AWB(a)
--------DM(d)----DM(d)---------

----AM(s)-----------AM(s)-------
-------PF(A)-----TF(A)------------

Any help?

I know lowering the mentality could help, but marginally, even on very defensive they tend to start in front of the ball. I prefer a compact unit, horizontally & vertically, that attacks together & defends together. Playing with a flat 4-4-2 makes my team defend too wide.

So: any suggestions to make my team defend more compactly, to make the AM(s) contribute more defensively, without touching the intensity and the extremities of my vision?

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, Kcinnay said:

Hi

I'm struggling with having my hard working AM's (support duty) to get behind the ball in the defensive phase.

I want my team to play a very agresssive ball-oriented press (so no man marking), want direct or very direct passing, very high tempo. High defensive line, high block. But even on support duty, they initially stay in front of the ball. (And I want to stick to the template formations, limited as they be.)

So, most of the times, I play with these instructions:

Very Attacking mentality - for the extremely loud heavy metal football
(very) Direct passing
Play through the middle
Narrow width
Counter
Counterpress
Press Much more often
High Block
High defensive line
Force opposition outside

Player roles (can switch):

---------------SK(a)----------------

AWB(a)-CV(d)-CV(d)-AWB(a)
--------DM(d)----DM(d)---------

----AM(s)-----------AM(s)-------
-------PF(A)-----TF(A)------------

Any help?

I know lowering the mentality could help, but marginally, even on very defensive they tend to start in front of the ball. I prefer a compact unit, horizontally & vertically, that attacks together & defends together. Playing with a flat 4-4-2 makes my team defend too wide.

So: any suggestions to make my team defend more compactly, to make the AM(s) contribute more defensively, without touching the intensity and the extremities of my vision?

Thanks!

Attacking mentality is the maximum you should go, very attacking is a bit suicidal at the best of times. 

Sweeper keeper attack is also asking for trouble. 

The AMC arn't getting back to defend because you're just booting the ball up the pitch and running at the opposition all out. Your better off setting your tactic up a little bit toned down so you can make changes (like counter press) within the match. If you want a more defensively minded AMC, check the players mentality in their PIs. 

Edited by Cloud9

2 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

I prefer a compact unit, horizontally & vertically, that attacks together & defends together.

Using more support duties will make your team move as a unit and play more compact. By more I mean 6 - 8. 

Edited by CARRERA