Has work on FM 24 begun?

There will be no more work on the new ME patch FM23 hence my question. In addition;

Will the interface be refreshed? We've had the same graphic design for years, which has become tedious

Will women's football appear in FM24? At what stage are the works?

Yes, they've already been working on FM24, probably since before FM23 was even released.

I think FM24 will be the version that introduces women's football and be the new features headliner. It seems like the right time to introduce it, right after the World Cup and when every European club is required to become a professional team if they want to play European football. I also think that's why the new FM23 features have felt a little underwhelming, most of the development time went into finishing working on women's football. If I remember correctly, FM18 did the same thing where its only new feature was the social feed and then FM19 came with the tactics and training overhaul.

SI will have a road map for several versions I suspect, as this is an iterative software after all. They very rarely confirm much about future versions, but they have announced they are working on adding women's football some time in the future, so that work has gone on for a while at least.

On 09/05/2023 at 09:10, Johnny Ace said:

it's not even a certainty there will be an FM24

Whaaaaa?... Does this mean you know some insider scoop?... Is anything weird happening at SI?...

The news system needs a reboot. It's great how you can subscribe to the topics you want (and smashes the way news is done in comparable games like OOTP) but we've been looking at the same interface for years. This is something that could be refreshed without affecting crucial elements like match engine/transfers, because in the end it's just reporting what happens elsewhere in the game. I've put this in the new version suggestion forum for the last couple of years with no luck but hoping for a fresher interface for news next year. I've got a vision of what I'd like to see but no point going into major detail if it's not a development priority.   

As others have said, FM24 has probably been in development in some form for a number of years.  It probably moved into serious development the moment FM23 stopped being.  And of course very liberal use of "probably" there, as no-one really knows that is actually going to say anything.

2 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Whaaaaa?... Does this mean you know some insider scoop?... Is anything weird happening at SI?...

Because until they actually say "Here's FM24", there is no FM24.  Nothing more than that.  It's said every year.

2 hours ago, phd_angel said:

No :D but there's always the official announcement that it'll be coming, we all just assume it's on it's way :thup:

On 09/05/2023 at 14:10, Johnny Ace said:

You know the same as everyone else, no details have been released on FM24, it's not even a certainty there will be an FM24 

Of course there is going to be FM24! There isn't officially announcement, since that is only coming by end of August or beginning of September, when pre-orders start.

I mean, if we take into count what Miles has said on FM23 and his twitter, that FM23 broke pre-order numbers and it sold very well. I mean every version sold well, from Miles been sharing it is growing by each version.

1 hour ago, grade said:

Of course there is going to be FM24! There isn't officially announcement, since that is only coming by end of August or beginning of September, when pre-orders start.

I mean, if we take into count what Miles has said on FM23 and his twitter, that FM23 broke pre-order numbers and it sold very well. I mean every version sold well, from Miles been sharing it is growing by each version.

We all know that but it's easy to take it for granted :thup:

I envisage FM24 introducing new features / developments to the series not seen for a few years. Some will like them, others will moan it hasn't gone far enough. FM25 will refine and improve these new features, and FM26 will see SI nail these and that is the version that will be hailed as the best FM for a long time. Then the next 2 iterations will be deemed "updates" and the moans begin again. And onwards the cycle will continue ...

23 hours ago, nickoo said:

Miles did a podcast recently below - Women's football is unlikely for FM24 with FM25 more likely - SI will be releasing a blog post in June about it

This is a great in-depth interview for the podcaster specializing in new types of jobs of the future. Thanks for sharing! I noted some highlights:

• how people may get jobs at SI: programming ("study math"), Quality Assurance is the dream job of many gamers, career development inside; Data Analytics as a big trend
  • "The average gamer plays 200 hours a year" only. (Wow, I spend around 1,500 to 2,000 per year!)
  • FM has feature development done with six personas (user profiles) in mind, for example: "the hardcore gamer", "the new gamer", "not-much-time gamer", "occasional gamer" etc.
  • There is a gap between how Miles imagines a game feature and how it actually turns out, for example:
  • Squad Planner is a new feature that most gamers dislike and have rejected
  • Newgens have more eccentric personalities than real players ("because we can get sued")
  • Wonderkids that turn out to be flops IRL - Miles feels bad about it.
  • Yaya Toure' and Pep Guardiola are football geniuses
  • Miles has a PR coach that monitors what he says (there was an embarrassing moment when Miles joked that he has a "giant ego")

Edited by phd_angel

8 ore fa, phd_angel ha scritto:

• Squad Planner is a new feature that most gamers dislike and have rejectet

Because it's actually useless. My excel sheet is 10 times better than that thing. And btw that shouldn't ever been an headline feature in the first place.

Edited by DMaster2

3 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

OMG that's about 4 to 5½ hours a day. That's alot of mouse clicking. I don't get that done in a week!

I guess FM counts dead hours too (when I’m away), plus I multitask playing and watching TV or YouTube, or listening to the radio, checking email, etc., so it’s not as bad as it may sound…

Edited by phd_angel

In the perfect world where SI staffs are one of the best game developers in the world, FM24 should minimize the amount of new stuffs and focus on fixing all the bugs and issues that has been stacking since FM19 or further back the time. If you play the game enough hours you'll find a lot of minor bugs. Obviously some significant portion of the bugs are insignificant and at times hard to notice, but it has come to a time where it's enough to impact the immersion of the game. I'm not even talking about other issues like ME and etc.

Well the second most ideal update would be improving what i know by far the most requested improvement by community which is set piece setup and international management which SI refused to focus on even after years of consistent requests by players.

I'll just recommend sticking to FM22 or whatever most recent FM you have now, stop encouraging SI to add new features that don't have significant impact to the game and ignoring the game bugs they have while also ignoring player's feedback at the same time

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/05/2023 at 19:00, nickoo said:

Miles did a podcast recently below - Women's football is unlikely for FM24 with FM25 more likely - SI will be releasing a blog post in June about it

I read something similar. While the desire was to add the women's game to FM24, it isn't looking to be practical to get it right for the coming version and most likely something to be saved for FM25.

On 14/05/2023 at 00:00, nickoo said:

Miles says in this that with FM23 they failed with making features for the hardcore players and that they will learn from it. 

I'm actually really glad to hear him admit this and it makes me more optimistic for FM24