Help against the big boys

Hi all after getting my St Pats team into the champions league group stage i wondered how you would set up against the best teams.

We made it through last season as well but it was a nightmare losing all but 1 of my games.

I know whatever tactic i use will be tough as i havent got the players to compete but is there any advice that would help?

After my 4th defeat i decided to play a defensive/counter att style just a basic 4-5-1 but nothing seems to work.

Getting the money for the champions league is great but seeing 6 goals go flying past my keeper is a bit boring now.

So any advice would be great many thanks

Player quality > tactics, so whatever you do the odds are against you.

My experience is that pressing high and getting players forward is the best option against good teams.

You can see from this thread, that you don't need great players to beat good teams, and the tactics don't need to be complicated.

For more specific advice you should post the tactic.

On 05/05/2023 at 06:44, Ciderarmy said:

Hi all after getting my St Pats team into the champions league group stage i wondered how you would set up against the best teams.

We made it through last season as well but it was a nightmare losing all but 1 of my games.

I know whatever tactic i use will be tough as i havent got the players to compete but is there any advice that would help?

After my 4th defeat i decided to play a defensive/counter att style just a basic 4-5-1 but nothing seems to work.

Getting the money for the champions league is great but seeing 6 goals go flying past my keeper is a bit boring now.

So any advice would be great many thanks

Champions League as a small club is difficult but you've got a couple things going for you.

• Opposition teams won't take you seriously, so they'll play a very attacking brand of football against you. Sitting back and counter attacking can be very effective. Taking the game to an opposition who has much better players isn't the best plan. 
  • 4-5-1 is hyper defensive. Make sure you have players who are set up to attack in your formation. Setting up defensively with no push back on the opposition will lead to you getting pummeled, even more so than playing attacking would.
  • Make sure you sign a goalkeeper who can make saves. 
  • Squad recruitment can help a lot: you don't need high quality players to win games if you've got a formation where you need specific tasks from each player and they are consistent performers. 
Edited by Cloud9

I just had a similar thread about how to play against the better teams and how to soak up their pressure:

Just read the whole thread there are valuable tips to improve your gameplay:

Edited by ultrAslan