Having trouble building an effective possession based brand of football that is similar to Pep

When I watch City play or Arsenal or any dominant side of Pep's in the past few years, they love to suffocate their opponents, force them to stay in their own half and even stay in their own box for prolonged periods, unable to escape the unrelenting waves of pressure. They slowly move the ball up the field with players rotating within set positions, shifting the opponents block until they must defend their goal inside their own box. 

I love this idea of total control through possession of the ball, the only thing that can win or lose a game. I want to be able to generate chances through sustained pressure on the opponents in their own half/box. I'm having real trouble with this, I can't figure to make this sustained pressure play work, chances are only really created in transition or over the top balls, not very many movements into space, no passing combinations, infrequent cutbacks from the half spaces, struggle to overload and switch to take advantage of the space, wingers cant beat FBs 1v1. 

I'm not too sure if this is purely my experience or just how the game is but if anyone has ideas/tactics in such a way that can recreate the Pep way, I would really really love to see it in action. The reason I make this post is because I feel like I have tried everything to make this kind of suffocating possession based style work but it never really seems to come together unfortunately. Anyways, again if you have any ideas on how to make this playstyle that I am slightly obsessed with work, let me know!