Fast & short striker : how to get the best of it in a 433 DM ?

Hey people,

I'm on FM21, going into my second season with Bristol in English 2d tier. Quite happy with the team of players I have, I am however quite disappointed with my start striker, Adam Armstrong.
With 2 goals in and a rating of 6.81 in 10 games, I feel like he should be doing much better considering his attributes, the category we are playing in and our xG rating.
Despite being top of the league (we were considered play-off contenders), the score lines are often disappointing.

This is the tactic I'm currently using (and PIs) :

Révélation

image.png.ccc48b90b1ea5af6c28a41426ade1ffc.png

My striker profile :

Révélation

Aucune description disponible.

Our xG stats :

Révélation

Aucune description disponible.Aucune description disponible.

And as a result, despite having chances, we struggle to score more than one goal per game...

Révélation

image.png.540b47f62f147641b31b2bd15d405b9c.png

What am I getting wrong here ? what should I do to unleash my striker potential ?

Any help is welcomed !

Seems a pretty solid formation, not sure if your striker is just missing chances or he doesn't get many chances to score?

Generally I don't like Poacher for a lone striker in a 433 (or in any one-top formation without AMC) as he risks to become too static and isolated, maybe try a more dynamic role like CF/DLF or even AF. Also would change something on the right flank to add more width and variety, like a classic winger instead of IW.

il y a une heure, kandersson a dit :

Seems a pretty solid formation, not sure if your striker is just missing chances or he doesn't get many chances to score?

Generally I don't like Poacher for a lone striker in a 433 (or in any one-top formation without AMC) as he risks to become too static and isolated, maybe try a more dynamic role like CF/DLF or even AF. Also would change something on the right flank to add more width and variety, like a classic winger instead of IW.

Thank you for the advice !

Considering my striker low ratings in passing and vision, I don't think DLF nor CF would really suit him (or does it?). But willing to try AFa and Winger (a).

However, by having the striker as AF (so, moving much more into channels) and a Winger (a) instead of IW(a), wouldn't this result in having very little attacking thread inside and in front of the oppisition box ?

Use him as an advanced forward so your playmakers can find him with a direct pass. As he is the only one who is penetrating the final third it is easier for the opponent to mark him only. Im also using the 4-3-3 dm and using one of my wingers as a IF - AF combination or a mezella on the middfield to have more penetrating optons when we attacking and my playmakers has more option. 

But for the lone wolf I would try a advanced forward, because his speed is dangerous as he will make the run behind the defenders. Teach him the traits: like to beat offside trap or move in to channels. 

12 hours ago, Cassius said:

Hey people,

I'm on FM21, going into my second season with Bristol in English 2d tier. Quite happy with the team of players I have, I am however quite disappointed with my start striker, Adam Armstrong.
With 2 goals in and a rating of 6.81 in 10 games, I feel like he should be doing much better considering his attributes, the category we are playing in and our xG rating.
Despite being top of the league (we were considered play-off contenders), the score lines are often disappointing.

This is the tactic I'm currently using (and PIs) :

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.ccc48b90b1ea5af6c28a41426ade1ffc.png

My striker profile :

Reveal hidden contents

Aucune description disponible.

Our xG stats :

Reveal hidden contents

Aucune description disponible.Aucune description disponible.

And as a result, despite having chances, we struggle to score more than one goal per game...

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.540b47f62f147641b31b2bd15d405b9c.png

What am I getting wrong here ? what should I do to unleash my striker potential ?

Any help is welcomed !

His ability is really only underlined by his pace, which is fantastic. That's why he's underperforming as a Poacher. 

I would either:

• Run him as an advanced forward in a striker partnership with a player who can bring in the height/passing to the partnership (lower lines).
  • Play him as an IF(a). This will take advantage of that quickness and help to work around his lack of height and buildup play. On the plus side's you'll get to utilize his ability to shoot from range (higher lines).

Personally I'd move to a 4-4-2. With two defensively minded fullbacks and no attack roles in midfield your current system would suit that setup better as well. 

Edited by Cloud9

20 hours ago, Cassius said:

Thank you for the advice !

Considering my striker low ratings in passing and vision, I don't think DLF nor CF would really suit him (or does it?). But willing to try AFa and Winger (a).

However, by having the striker as AF (so, moving much more into channels) and a Winger (a) instead of IW(a), wouldn't this result in having very little attacking thread inside and in front of the oppisition box ?

Yeah I'd also change the Mez to CM (a) and AP to IF (s). AF at STC should still be a consistent presence in the box despite moving into channels.

Hey people;

So...thank you all for the tips and advices. Changes I've made ;

- Higher tempo
- moved the AP on the left and the IW on the right to the WM strata
- changed the role of the striker to Complete Forward (thanks @kandersson) with duty "attack" or "support" adapting along the games), despite him having very mediocre passing, vision, decision and aerial/strenght attributes...

Well, it worked wonders :

Révélation

image.thumb.png.80c4e76220dd129623527cba596e19c5.png

It seems like lowering everybody on the field (wings and striker) + playing at higher tempo had tremendous effect on his delivery. Now scoring opportunities are way more diverse, while having the striker scoring sometimes by getting behind the defense, sometimes just with a quick 3m rush backward/onwards for a swift tap-in. Main lesson learned here for me : the movement of a role, within a given tactic, is way more important than the attributes marked as key for that role. 🤷

Edited by Cassius