Graphics Issue

I have recently started having issues with crashes in FM23, and in accordance with the support advice, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. The crash message I get is DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. I have an NVIDIA 3070 GPU, and the motherboard was recently replaced (not sure that is relevant, but I post it just in case). I've reported each crash to SI but have gotten no response.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

The SI support team responded quickly to my ticket. Unfortunately, neither deleting the custom skin nor removing the cache and preferences solved the problem, and Steam has verified the integrity of the local files of my game. I have so advised the support team. 

I'm wondering if anyone else with an NVIDIA 3070 GPU is having the same problem since the most recent driver update.

3 hours ago, gunnerfan said:

The SI support team responded quickly to my ticket. Unfortunately, neither deleting the custom skin nor removing the cache and preferences solved the problem, and Steam has verified the integrity of the local files of my game. I have so advised the support team. 

I'm wondering if anyone else with an NVIDIA 3070 GPU is having the same problem since the most recent driver update.

Have you tried rolling back the driver to the previous version?

On 21/04/2023 at 13:32, gunnerfan said:

3060 here, but I have the same issues. I spent a few days exploring possible fixes, tried a bunch of things, and then just gave up on it. I didn't buy the game to troubleshoot it. I save much more frequently now and endure the annoying crashes.

On 18/04/2023 at 14:29, gunnerfan said:

I have recently started having issues with crashes in FM23, and in accordance with the support advice, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. The crash message I get is DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. I have an NVIDIA 3070 GPU, and the motherboard was recently replaced (not sure that is relevant, but I post it just in case). I've reported each crash to SI but have gotten no response.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had this problem often previous versions and even occasionally in FM 23.  I submitted numerous bug reports and crash files, etc., as well, but SI was never able to determine the cause. SI would say it's Logitech's fault and Logitech would say it's SI's fault.

First, two pieces of advice, which you might already follow but i mention just in case:  Always exit the game when you are not actively playing.  If you put the computer to sleep with the game running, for example, and then wake the computer the next day and continue playing, it can cause the game to crash. I don't know why, but it does.  Also, sometimes when the game is left running, the Nvidia or other graphic card manufactures will put out updated drivers and before you notice it, and the game will crash.  Again, have no idea why.

But the culprit in my case, I discovered, is that I use a Logitech mouse and the mouse software runs a background program called "Logitech Overlay.exe".  For some reason, this file causes FM and many other programs to crash (you can search the file name/crash and find pages and pages of people complaining that this file causes all sorts of programs to crash.  The file is unnecessary - all it does is enable Logitech to generate a popup telling you the battery is low or whatever.  I forget how I disabled it, I just followed the instructions on one of those pages.

Apparently there are other "overlay" programs that cause crashes.  For example, here is a link to an FM22 crash troubleshooting guide: https://www.getdroidtips.com/football-manager-2022-crashing-pc/#14-Try-Disabling-Overlay-Apps which states:

"14. Try Disabling Overlay Apps
It seems that a couple of popular apps do have their own overlay program that can eventually run in the background and cause issues with the gaming performance or even launching issues. You should turn them off to fix the issue by following the steps below:

Disable Discord Overlay:

Launch the Discord app > Click on the gear icon at the bottom.
Click on Overlay under App Settings > Turn on the Enable in-game overlay.
Click on the Games tab > Select Football Manager 2022.
Finally, turn off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
Make sure to reboot your PC to apply changes.
Disable Xbox Game Bar:

Press Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
Click on Gaming > Go to Game Bar > Turn off Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using the Game bar option.
If in case, you’re unable to find out the Game Bar option, just search for it from the Windows Settings menu.

Disable Nvidia GeForce Experience Overlay:

Launch the Nvidia GeForce Experience app > Head over to Settings.
Click on the General tab > Disable the In-Game Overlay option.
Finally, restart the PC to apply changes and launch the game again.
Also, keep in mind that you should disable some other overlay apps like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner, RGB software, or any other third-party overlay apps that always run in the background."

Anyway, after disabling that Logitech file (you can check task manager to see if it's running), I rarely have crashes, and when I do it's usually because one of the first two things I mentioned above (ie, not exiting the game when not actively playing).

Good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks very much, @b28937. I have read about not leaving the game running when the PC goes to sleep mode, and I now exit the game whenever I may be stepping away for more than a few minutes. I don't have a Logitech mouse, but I DO have Nvidia's GeForce Ex[erience App, so I will take care of that. Thanks for the in-depth response.

Update: I eliminated the Nvidia GeForce Experience overlay and played two matches, then crashed on the 3rd. I then eliminated the Intel Killer Performance app, and the game crashed on the next match I tried to play.

I think I'll take @Overmars approach: I didn't buy the game to troubleshoot it. And since I find constant crashes irritating, I think I'll stick to 2D at least until the next Invidia driver comes out. 

5 hours ago, gunnerfan said:

Update: I eliminated the Nvidia GeForce Experience overlay and played two matches, then crashed on the 3rd. I then eliminated the Intel Killer Performance app, and the game crashed on the next match I tried to play.

I think I'll take @Overmars approach: I didn't buy the game to troubleshoot it. And since I find constant crashes irritating, I think I'll stick to 2D at least until the next Invidia driver comes out. 

It's been happening to me on 2D too. Pretty frustrating since this has never happened to me on prior FMs. Hope FM24 doesn't have such issues.

3 hours ago, Overmars said:

It's been happening to me on 2D too. Pretty frustrating since this has never happened to me on prior FMs. Hope FM24 doesn't have such issues.

I haven't had any problems with 2D. Keeping my fingers crossed. It would be nice to know if SI was digging into this, since I'm sure we're not the only ones having this issue.