The Target Man in Poacher's Clothing

55 minutes ago, De Nile said:

I think this is similar to the Lukaku situation at Chelsea where most descriptions about how to use him were target man like whereas he was more suitable as a poacher.

I think Chelsea tried to play him as a TF/Poacher which was the problem (along with other things). At Inter he'd pick up the ball deeper and run at opposition while Martinez did the dirty work alongside. At Chelsea there was a lot of him sitting in the box throwing up his arms isolated from the buildup play.

Although I suspect the underlying problems were that he felt loved at Inter, while at Chelsea he struggled w/big expectations again and an underlying cynicism on him from the Press. 

Edited by Cloud9

18 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Haaland makes a great Poacher

True he reminds me of Van Nistelrooy at least when it comes to dominating the penalty box, sure these days you ask a lot of a striker but sometimes it is good to know that simplicity is still important. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Johnny Ace:

Do like me a Poacher :thup:

Many of my tactics are based around "feeding the Poacher"

Have said it before but Haaland makes a great Poacher, keep it simple, the guy's a phenom

How do you setup in the youth challenge, you have a poacher there?

I Love the Shadow Striker didn’t make a poacher work but like to,

4 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Do like me a Poacher :thup:

Many of my tactics are based around "feeding the Poacher"

Have said it before but Haaland makes a great Poacher, keep it simple, the guy's a phenom

Another thing I love about the poacher is that he can still bag assists, create chances and be a wonderful outlet to get up the pitch  despite being the guy that's supposed to be fed all the time.

-Knockdowns to the support duty striker running behind him while he occupies a defender: Many times, deep players intentionally hoof it to him under pressure. This is not the "target forward" effect. He's a poacher and always stays high. He will naturally attract long balls and link up with people around him. This is also proof that he doesn't always want to run behind. He can play with his back to goal and bully CBs. This is why a big, strong poacher can be an alternative Target Man(attack). They are the  most "static" attack minded roles. He doesn't have to be Michael Owen. He can be Godzilla. 

- He takes fewer risks but he still slides it through defences. He's not Kane but if someone's making a run behind him, he will not hesitate to play him through, so far there's no chance of losing the ball. 

-He's no playmaker but he keeps things ticking. Team wins the ball deep in their half and hoofs it to the channels for the big poacher to chase. Big poacher receives but admits he's not Adama Traore. He holds it up and plays it safe to a supporting player (SP). SP sees other runners ahead of him and plays one through. GOAL!.  Big poacher didn't score but he kept the move alive by being the big log of wood upfront that his teammates used to bounce the ball off.  

Brilliant thread. I've been struggling for years to figure out how to get the best out of the big, limited center forwards that populate the sub-elite levels. I have been slowly gravitating towards this solution, but I think I was afraid to commit to it because it feels "wrong". But this really is it. Just go and score goals, lad. :thup:

(Bonus: my current striker has the "plays with back to goal" trait. He does a bit of everything!)

Edited by Prolix

10 hours ago, Prolix said:

Brilliant thread. I've been struggling for years to figure out how to get the best out of the big, limited center forwards that populate the sub-elite levels. I have been slowly gravitating towards this solution, but I think I was afraid to commit to it because it feels "wrong". But this really is it. Just go and score goals, lad. :thup:

(Bonus: my current striker has the "plays with back to goal" trait. He does a bit of everything!)

Plays with back to goal? Perfect!