New Player - Question on Squad Analysis

Apologies if the question is already answer as I am new to FM23, just started a save. I would like to know what the important attributes are to watch for in a team before creating a formation and a tactic for a team I want to manage. Much appreciated for the answer. Thank you

hi! May i help?

i think firstly you should wonder how are the odds for your team predicted by medias (league > details or something like that i don't have menues in my mind)

then, ask yourself how do you want to play.

check @Cleon's book here:

https://fmplaybook.viewfromthetouchline.com/#playing_styles

chapter Playing Styles - The Attribute Side Of The Game may be helpful (others too!)

and i suggest you to try preset tactics, don't be fooled they are really good and yous ass man may help you find out wich one is best for you ;)

interesting read here !

enjoy ;)

11 hours ago, Newbie Manager said:

Apologies if the question is already answer as I am new to FM23, just started a save. I would like to know what the important attributes are to watch for in a team before creating a formation and a tactic for a team I want to manage. Much appreciated for the answer. Thank you

In general looking for strong pairings of attributes on a players or pairing roles in a tactic are a great place to start.

For example Mezzala/Winger, DLP(s)/BWM(d) are great combos in a tactic (just as two examples). High agility and balance on a player can create a really dynamic player, decision making is super on any position. Identifying and piecing together these combos that work great together can be really impactful when building a tactic and doing recruitment. 

12 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

In general looking for strong pairings of attributes on a players or pairing roles in a tactic are a great place to start.

For example Mezzala/Winger, DLP(s)/BWM(d) are great combos in a tactic (just as two examples). High agility and balance on a player can create a really dynamic player, decision making is super on any position. Identifying and piecing together these combos that work great together can be really impactful when building a tactic and doing recruitment. 

Thank you but for starters I am looking at important attributes for the overall team. Not too sure if i am wrong here but there are a few important attributes of the team we should look for i guess, for example teams work rate, determination etc. By looking at this then we can create a formation with the tactics. As there alot of attributes in a team, which are the most important ones to look for in a squad analysis is what I am trying to learn. Once again thank you :)

12 hours ago, Poison said:

Never under-estimate aggression and determination, they are the two most important attributes.

Thank you. This is what I am trying to look for in an overall team analysis.  Any other attributes like work rate etc which I should be concern about.? 

40 minutes ago, Newbie Manager said:

Thank you. This is what I am trying to look for in an overall team analysis.  Any other attributes like work rate etc which I should be concern about.? 

Just an FYI in case you didn't know: the game highlights key and preferable attributes for various roles and you can search for these attributes too in player search. Pro tip: Don't search via highlighting a position, just the attributes you want, if the player doesn't know the position, you can always retrain him there (comes with a penalty , a little loss in his ability supposedly and sometimes they are really bad in learning a new position, but for me this trick is worth it overall, especially if you are a small team - or on the rise and desperately looking for players etc)! Having said that, underrated attributes by people usually are: For keepers, communication and command of area, I mean reflexes and one-on-ones  are nice but if you don't even have to sweat, it's even better. From physical attributes, agility and acceleration (especially if you want them to sweep). For defenders, composure, dribbling, first touch, technique and passing is good for them to actually keep the ball, despite not being mentioned for some roles. The best defenders in the game are good offensively too, in addition to the usual defensive capabilities (Decisions - important for all positions , positioning , concentration, marking , tackling , heading and anticipation and of course all physicals). Teamwork is also very useful for all positions and many times underrated too. For midfielders for sure work rate is important, especially for those in central areas. Also stuff  like vision and flair can't hurt, they are useful for breaking the press alongside with decisions.  For  wingers or strikers, aerial and balance are often underrated, stuff like jumping, heading, bravery etc. This however depends on how you play, many times a short forward or winger can be useful too. Those on the top of my head, if someone wants to add something / correct me feel free to do so.

Edited by Poison

55 minutes ago, Newbie Manager said:

Thank you but for starters I am looking at important attributes for the overall team. Not too sure if i am wrong here but there are a few important attributes of the team we should look for i guess, for example teams work rate, determination etc. By looking at this then we can create a formation with the tactics. As there alot of attributes in a team, which are the most important ones to look for in a squad analysis is what I am trying to learn. Once again thank you :)

I would recommend choosing a  style of play first and then we can point you in the direction of attributes to look for: Usually when I put together my team I want specific attributes on specific positions, it's not that an attribute is overall "better" than another. 

Do you want to dominate possession? Counter attack? Etc. Those are the questions you need to figure out first before trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together :thup:

Edited by Cloud9

9 hours ago, Poison said:

Just an FYI in case you didn't know: the game highlights key and preferable attributes for various roles and you can search for these attributes too in player search. Pro tip: Don't search via highlighting a position, just the attributes you want, if the player doesn't know the position, you can always retrain him there (comes with a penalty , a little loss in his ability supposedly and sometimes they are really bad in learning a new position, but for me this trick is worth it overall, especially if you are a small team - or on the rise and desperately looking for players etc)! Having said that, underrated attributes by people usually are: For keepers, communication and command of area, I mean reflexes and one-on-ones  are nice but if you don't even have to sweat, it's even better. From physical attributes, agility and acceleration (especially if you want them to sweep). For defenders, composure, dribbling, first touch, technique and passing is good for them to actually keep the ball, despite not being mentioned for some roles. The best defenders in the game are good offensively too, in addition to the usual defensive capabilities (Decisions - important for all positions , positioning , concentration, marking , tackling , heading and anticipation and of course all physicals). Teamwork is also very useful for all positions and many times underrated too. For midfielders for sure work rate is important, especially for those in central areas. Also stuff  like vision and flair can't hurt, they are useful for breaking the press alongside with decisions.  For  wingers or strikers, aerial and balance are often underrated, stuff like jumping, heading, bravery etc. This however depends on how you play, many times a short forward or winger can be useful too. Those on the top of my head, if someone wants to add something / correct me feel free to do so.

Thank you, i can work on these guidelines for a start to find the right attributes for the team. Much appreciated for a beginner like me. :)

9 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I would recommend choosing a  style of play first and then we can point you in the direction of attributes to look for: Usually when I put together my team I want specific attributes on specific positions, it's not that an attribute is overall "better" than another. 

Do you want to dominate possession? Counterattack? Etc. Those are the questions you need to figure out first before trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together :thup:

The team I would like to be using is brentford.  What I would like to have is 2 formations. One for normal teams and one for matches against better teams like city, arsenal, united etc. I would like to have a balanced possession-based style of play for normal teams and a counterattack against better city. That is what I am want and looking for the correct attributes to create. :)

1 hour ago, Newbie Manager said:

The team I would like to be using is brentford.  What I would like to have is 2 formations. One for normal teams and one for matches against better teams like city, arsenal, united etc. I would like to have a balanced possession-based style of play for normal teams and a counterattack against better city. That is what I am want and looking for the correct attributes to create. :)

Hm I think Brentford IRL have done recruitment about being quite a physical team (speed/strength wise) so I'd lean into that. How you want to squad build is up to you, but I'd rather ramp up a squads strengths than have them be more well balanced (that's just personal preference on my end). 

• I think they play a 5-3-2 direct counterattack at the moment. As a smaller team in the league most opposition will be taking the game to you home and away which will play into your hands.
  • In counterattack football you want players with pace out wide and up top, the AF will need good Anticipation/Off the Ball as well. For the core of the squad, I'd look to recruit players you can rely on. This doesn't have a specific meter to it, but players with good Personalities and Strength are a good starting point. Workrate, Teamwork, Aggression, Bravery will help you play without the ball.  Tell the technically weaker members of your team to "play it short" in the PIs.
  • You'll want a couple players who are technically capable of playing more direct passing (passing, technique, vision, decisions) to launch the counters. 
  • If you end up going for the possession based play, passing and decisions are probably the two attributes I'd highlight for the squad. 

When putting together your starting 11, think about what tactical task you'd like each player to perform (win the ball back, cover space, attack a space, score, etc.) and then you can start figuring out which attributes work best for you to get the desired effect. I like to make these tasks as distinct as possible. Here's a very rudimentary example: playing a TF and AF partnership. The TF will drop deep to hold up play and give you an aerial advantage, and the AF will look to run in behind and score all the time. On the AF I'd emphasize pace/acceleration/off the ball, and strength/jumping reach on the TF. Watching the game in the match engine can be really helpful in figuring out how your players are playing and how different attributes affect performance. 

Also there is really no "wrong" way to build your squad. The highlighted attributes for each role are a great starting point, but you could look to sign a bunch of aggression 20 maniacs and that could be quite fun. Trying out unusual attributes on different roles can be rewarding as well :) 

Edited by Cloud9

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

Hm I think Brentford IRL have done recruitment about being quite a physical team (speed/strength wise) so I'd lean into that. How you want to squad build is up to you, but I'd rather ramp up a squads strengths than have them be more well balanced (that's just personal preference on my end). 

• I think they play a 5-3-2 direct counterattack at the moment. As a smaller team in the league most opposition will be taking the game to you home and away which will play into your hands.
  • In counterattack football you want players with pace out wide and up top, the AF will need good Anticipation/Off the Ball as well. For the core of the squad, I'd look to recruit players you can rely on. This doesn't have a specific meter to it, but players with good Personalities and Strength are a good starting point. Workrate, Teamwork, Aggression, Bravery will help you play without the ball.  Tell the technically weaker members of your team to "play it short" in the PIs.
  • You'll want a couple players who are technically capable of playing more direct passing (passing, technique, vision, decisions) to launch the counters. 
  • If you end up going for the possession based play, passing and decisions are probably the two attributes I'd highlight for the squad. 

When putting together your starting 11, think about what tactical task you'd like each player to perform (win the ball back, cover space, attack a space, score, etc.) and then you can start figuring out which attributes work best for you to get the desired effect. I like to make these tasks as distinct as possible. Here's a very rudimentary example: playing a TF and AF partnership. The TF will drop deep to hold up play and give you an aerial advantage, and the AF will look to run in behind and score all the time. On the AF I'd emphasize pace/acceleration/off the ball, and strength/jumping reach on the TF. Watching the game in the match engine can be really helpful in figuring out how your players are playing and how different attributes affect performance. 

Also there is really no "wrong" way to build your squad. The highlighted attributes for each role are a great starting point, but you could look to sign a bunch of aggression 20 maniacs and that could be quite fun. Trying out unusual attributes on different roles can be rewarding as well :) 

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain here and this has given me a good idea on how to go about it is combining with presets formations. This will suffice for now to start playing. Much much appreciated. :)

10 hours ago, Newbie Manager said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain here and this has given me a good idea on how to go about it is combining with presets formations. This will suffice for now to start playing. Much much appreciated. :)

Happy to help out, good luck with the tactic!

Edited by Cloud9