Updated Youth Intake Information

Good morning ladies and gentleman,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but having a casual browse through the forums and using some search terms I am unable to find what I'm looking for. Anytime I search anything regarding youth intakes I feel I read the same few paragraphs on different websites like one was written ages ago with a bit of truth and has been rewritten so often that the truths have since faded. So below is some information I want to list to confirm if it is either still true or has been updated since as most of my info is from 2017-2019.

Youth Intakes

Youth intakes are the introduction of newgens into teams in FM23, these are at different times of the year based on the country, but occurs at the same time of year, every year for that specific country. This does not occur in every country, but most countries. Newgens that are not currently visible are considered Juniors.

Factors That Influence Newgen Quality (Current Ability (CA) and Potential Ability(PA))

These are not being listed in order of importance, but I will list all that I'm aware of and maybe we can remove and modify the irrelevant and outdated. I will not describe what the factor is supposed to represent in real world terms, just it's impact on the creation of newgens.

Facilities

Youth Facilities

These affect Juniors only (not visible). The quality can have an impact upon newgen CA and PA.

Junior Coaching

The quality and quantity of junior coaches (not visible). The quality can have an impact upon newgen CA and PA.

Youth Recruitment

The clubs recruiting of juniors (not visible). The greater the quality the higher chance you are of securing the junior talent in your area. The quality can have an impact upon newgen CA and PA.

Nation

Youth Rating

Each nation has a hidden youth rating, the higher the rating, the higher the quality (CA and PA) of newgen it will produce on average. This also affects the maximum quality of juniors produced. As of 2022 this rating is now dynamic and so countries ratings can increase or decrease.

Game importance

Each nation has a hidden game importance rating, the higher the rating the higher the quality (CA and PA) of the newgen it will produce on average.

Staff

Head of Youth Development (HOYD)

Their personality can be partially or fully passed onto newgens. This is to some newgens not all.

Their preferred formation can influence the positions of the newgens. This is to some newgens not all.

Their coaching style can influence the attribute spread of the newgens. This is to some newgens not all.

Their Judging Player Potential (JPP) and Working With Youngsters (WWY) can influence star/freak newgens. This is to some star/freak newgens, not all of them. This has no influence on any average newgens.

The HOYDs impact is twice that of your youth coaches.

Youth Coaches

Their personality can be partially or fully passed onto newgens. This is to some newgens not all.

Their preferred formation can influence the positions of the newgens. This is to some newgens not all.

Their JPP and WWY can influence star/freak newgens. This is to some star/freak newgens, not all of them. This has no influence on any average newgens.

The youth coaches impact is half that of the HOYDs

Added Notes

Training Facilities

These affect visible players (senior and youth), not juniors. The quality of training facilities directly impacts upon player progression and training injuries.

HOYDs are coaches and as such will be involved in training youth players, keep that in mind when hiring one.

Maxed facilities, junior coaching, youth recruitment, with an excellent HOYD and youth coaching staff does not guarantee any results, it just increases the likelihood of a better outcome.

Order of Operations

Junior talent is picked up by priority of Youth Recruitment, and influenced by HOYD. If two clubs have matching Youth Recruitment, then reputation will be favoured. You then receive your youth intake review email detailing prospective newgens. Then over a period of weeks your Youth Facilities and Junior Coaching will be applied to the juniors to increase the CA and PA of the talents until youth intake day at which point the CA and PA will be finalised and the newgens generated. 

Youth Intake Ratings

The CA ratings in the youth intake are based on the HOYDs interpretation of the players ability, which will be less exact the younger they are. The CA is also relative to their age. 

Summary

Thanks for sticking with me guys, I am probably missing more, but these are what I have found for now. If anyone has any to add, or has a reliable source to confirm or deny any of the above that would be hugely helpful. Once again apologies if there is something elsewhere that covers all this but I couldn't find anything post 2019, and there is so much misinformation out there regarding this topic I felt it was worth clarifying. With regards to sources, a lot of my information has come from an SI employees posts on this forum a @Seb Wassell was hugely valuable for me (thankyou). Some of this information has also been picked up from various sources on the web when searching up youth intake information. As a final note, since this is all pretty much gathered pre 2019, I am hoping there is a large amount of new information surrounding this and it's just an untapped well, waiting for a prospector. Can I also ask that for the sake of the integrity of the game, we not ask for or divulge specific weights and or figures of these mechanics, but rather confirm concepts so we  can get the best playing experience possible. I also know I haven't included anything beyond the creation of a newgen, as the development of youth players is a whole other can of worms and I am hoping to keep this topic specific.

Edited by TeddySeven

I believe this is correct, based on what I have read.

I did want to add that it's not necessarily the end of the world if you have a bad youth intake.  It's not as easy as it was in prior versions of FM, but you can still raid the youth intake of other teams.

It used to be that you could offer trials to practically any newly generated player and have the other teams agree.  Now, based on my experience, it seems that you usually only have success if the teams are in a similar geographic region and have a lower reputation.

My approach in my Yanbian save has been to bring in Chinese newgens on trial as soon as they are created, and then scout the ones that aren't willing to come.  I've been able to purchase dozens of 15 and 16 year old players with good personalities and fairly good coach reports for extremely cheap, sometimes as cheap as free.

Now, to get this transfer philosophy to work, you really need to have a strong first team that can hold you over for a few years.  If you've got that, though, you can simply load up on young players, get as many possible to become home grown at club and in country, stick the most promising ones into your first team squad for experience and game time, and simply loan everybody else out from age 17 on.  If you use a few loan tricks, you can theoretically make money off of each of your players who are out on loan, and then just hold onto them until a rich club comes in and makes a ridiculously high offer for them.

This plan can backfire, especially when everybody comes back in the summer and you suddenly go over your wage budget.  However, if you play it right, you'll find it easier to make a profit each time you send your players out on loan, since their reputation is constantly improving.  The goal in the end is to sign the best young players as young as possible, develop them at your home club to get them home grown, have numerous players competing for each position, and loan out the ones that don't quite make it for profit, holding them out as bait for rich clubs.  Once you get the big money in, you can go around looking for more young players to poach, keeping the process going in perpetuity.

Anyway, that's my long-term squad building philosophy.  It works mostly because the AI still undervalues prospects and overemphasizes reputation.  Once you figure out how to min/max reputation, you can get the computer to start paying you to develop your own players, and then watch it overpay for them once their development is complete.

On 09/04/2023 at 16:05, TeddySeven said:

Youth Intake Ratings

The CA ratings in the youth intake are based on the HOYDs interpretation of the players ability, which will be less exact the younger they are. The CA is also relative to their age. 

This is true of PA also. 

I've had a player with 160 PA and 164 PA be rated 3 star and 5 star respectively.

PA ratings will get more accurate at 18 and then finally 21 (providing the person has good judging ca/pa)