New Uefa Champions League Format

In real life I dont really mind it too much, but in FM, I always use a mod that keeps the original format.

First, I dont like the number of teams that go up. It is all or nothing. More teams go up but the ones that dont just get kicked out entirely. It basically makes the game both too easy and too difficult at the same time, based on your situation.

Second, I love the group stage draws. Its cool and exciting, but who cares about the match draws.

Third, I dont like the idea of a single consolidated league. The league has a winner so to me it almost feels pointless to have the knockouts. Just give the winner of the league the cup? I prefer different group stages and the competition is to decide which group stage winner is actually best.

I like the idea of a big league table and playing a wider variety of opponents rather than just 3 teams 2 times each. But I really wish they'd add back the drop down to Europa League etc.

If it were up to me I'd change the knockout playoff to just 1 leg, then the losers play a second 1 leg playoff against Europa League teams for a place in the Europa League round of 16 instead.

Wouldn't mind if it went back up to the originally proposed 10 league stage games too, and maybe play a few of them on weekends rather than just weekday evenings as well. I know domestic leagues would hate that, but oh well.

14 hours ago, Pafnus said:

İ really like new format. Older format is boring because you play only 3 different opponents 2 matches. İn new format you play against 8 different teams. İt is really so so so much enjoyable.

I actually agree, I like the idea of playing 8 different teams rather than the same 3 teams twice. It not only sets teams up against a wider variety of opponents, which IMO tests their ability more, but also increases the chances of a few of the smaller teams that were never going to get through the initial group stage of pulling a few big teams out of the hat, bringing them additional much needed revenue.

3 hours ago, Carambau said:

(if it ever materializes)

Is that a possibility? I'm going to get my hopes up now! I'm very much against the change as I love a group stage.  I'd be in favour of scrapping all leagues and replacing them with a group stage.

Does it actually really matter?  The champions league hasn't been the 'champions' league for years when 95% of the teams in the comp have not won a damn thing.  Whole thing is an ironic mockery of itself these days.

I miss the old days of the European Cup, Cup Winners Cup etc....alas, not enough money involved for FIFA though.

• Administrators

Personally really enjoy it in FM, and hoping in reality it'll help my own club progress to the knockouts (rather than losing 6 out of 6 games with a -22 GD :D)

On 09/04/2023 at 13:34, kingjericho said:

In FM I'm enjoying it. In reality maybe it can work but the classic CL groups will be missed.

its not really classic because before 2000s CL was only a knockout tournament no groups. The same could be said for UEFA Cup and the other cups. What I would love to see is the cup winners cup coming back

On 10/04/2023 at 23:36, Pafnus said:

İ really like new format. Older format is boring because you play only 3 different opponents 2 matches. İn new format you play against 8 different teams. İt is really so so so much enjoyable.

Then have nine-team groups.

I don't like that not everybody in the same group plays the same opponents the same number of times. But, whatever, there are other things in football that bother me a lot more than this. And at least the strength of schedule for everybody will be roughly equal.

I really like it. It needs a couple of tweaks, though.

- January matches will screw teams in calendar year leagues (or leagues with long winter breaks).

- If there are still going to be January matches, you need to be able to register transfer before each match, and not just after the window closes.

17 hours ago, paracoolo said:

its not really classic because before 2000s CL was only a knockout tournament no groups. The same could be said for UEFA Cup and the other cups. What I would love to see is the cup winners cup coming back

Knockout- only tournaments would be fun but that would mean less matches on TV so won't happen I reckon

On 14/04/2023 at 16:06, kingjericho said:

Knockout- only tournaments would be fun but that would mean less matches on TV so won't happen I reckon

Of course it won't ever go back, not about the competition anymore or prestige, it's all about the money.

32 minutes ago, Maviarab said:

Of course it won't ever go back, not about the competition anymore or prestige, it's all about the money.

Exactly this. Greed pure greed. Bring back the old style competitions and I'd be a happy man. I only ever play FM this way and have done since I learnt how to work the editor for my own means. 

On 13/04/2023 at 06:54, Maviarab said:

Does it actually really matter?  The champions league hasn't been the 'champions' league for years when 95% of the teams in the comp have not won a damn thing.  Whole thing is an ironic mockery of itself these days.

I miss the old days of the European Cup, Cup Winners Cup etc....alas, not enough money involved for FIFA though.

is there a mod for that old format?

• 4 weeks later...
6 saat önce, phd_angel said:

It's cool. This hybrid format tries to combine the fairness of a league with the conciseness of a cup. It's different but I like it.

:thup:

It is so cool and  enjoyable.. so good