How much Attention do you pay to your youth teams/The youth system?

I had a brief chat to a friend earlier, and it made me realize I never payed a great deal of attention to the Youth league system, or really my  youth system at all. I horde youth players, but most I will, admittidly, shove into the first team, realize they dont play other enough and sell on or send them on loan endlessly. I've never dealt with their training, Never scouted/Watched a game and couldnt tell you who my best prospect would be and it seems a MASSSIVE oversight. To be honest all my energy goes into the first team and I occationally dip in to the U21's if I need a backup. I even mindlessly accept ALL loan offers from the AI without even looking . Think I'm probably killing my youth teams TBH with all the players i've sent out attempting to find a diamond in the rough.

Anyone else as haphazard/lazy as me? I feel bad now.

Edited by KillYourIdols

Im the opposite. I take control of the youth team as I dont trust the AI staff for one bit.

You might think this is very time consuming, but it doesnt have to be. At the start of the year, in the training calendar, just paste in an optimized youth shedule (like for example BTN has), and just copy that for all the weeks. Next up, inspect your players with at least 3 star potential and customize their individual training and focus. Once in january, you revisit this and change where necessary.

And then every 3 month i check their progress and criticise or praise it, like i do with my main team. And yeah, once 18 they get sent out on loan.

1 hour ago, eXistenZ said:

Im the opposite. I take control of the youth team as I dont trust the AI staff for one bit.

You might think this is very time consuming, but it doesnt have to be. At the start of the year, in the training calendar, just paste in an optimized youth shedule (like for example BTN has), and just copy that for all the weeks. Next up, inspect your players with at least 3 star potential and customize their individual training and focus. Once in january, you revisit this and change where necessary.

And then every 3 month i check their progress and criticise or praise it, like i do with my main team. And yeah, once 18 they get sent out on loan.

You're a stellar human being.

More than I do my first team.

I’m very youth-orientated (mainly due to the sh*t scouting system (which has improved in fairness this year).

Both types of training, positional retraining, checking out games for an eye test and hiring the best staff, putting all the money into upgrades.

I pay more attention as time goes on and my team becomes more successful. Finding players who can perform short term is needed when making your way up I feel. Meanwhile, once at the top players become a fixture for the long term and bringing as many through at the club as you can is a positive. It's also a good source of funds for any major high value transfers. 

18 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

interesting. I do this with high potential youngsters but I leave the meat grinder to the staff.

Always do it myself - above everything it's something I enjoy doing and I'm a slow and immersive player on all my saves, but also I don't trust the AI to either a) maximise development or b) do it in a way to suit how I want the football to be played. I will manage the training/development at a minimum for all teams and very often manage my B/reserve/youth teams or feeder affiliates myself.

Actually been revisiting an old Bilbao (a team where obv you're forced to take an interest in development)  save on FM15 currently where I'm managing the first team in the top division, the B team in the second tier, the C team in the third tier, plus the U19 team as well. From 15-21 I'm effectively with every player at every step along the conveyor belt.

Am 5.4.2023 um 13:17 schrieb eXistenZ:

BTN?

Starting in the lowest possible league the youth is a waste of time and effort and i spend as little as possible making it at best a tool for players to play friendlies and get matchfitness.

The only good youth players i ever get are those i buy from better teams and then they may 16 or 17 yrs of age and can play in the youth team while train in the 1st team bcs i dont have enough money for youth coaches.

That changes when you reach the top tier and your reputation grows enough but that is 10 or even 15 yrs into the game.

Edited by Etebaer

I pay tons of attention to my youth setup, right from the start of each save.  I actually have more fun messing with the youth than I have doing anything else.  Newgens are tons of fun.

I also buy lots of newgens.  I bought about 200 in the latest transfer window, lol.

I send always one person to "discover" youthplayer. Its the one with the best stats. I dont talk about scouting. He is approaching the player. Dont know the englisch Word. Its in the staffsection. Dutys... They find a lot of good players..  

On 07/04/2023 at 18:18, Daniel Evensen said:

I pay tons of attention to my youth setup, right from the start of each save.  I actually have more fun messing with the youth than I have doing anything else.  Newgens are tons of fun.

I also buy lots of newgens.  I bought about 200 in the latest transfer window, lol.

Building an army of newgens to invade some rival :lol:

On 07/04/2023 at 17:18, Daniel Evensen said:

I bought about 200 in the latest transfer window, lol

what do you end up doing with them? and what clubs are you guys managing that you have the money to buy 200 players 

• 4 weeks later...

Only if I plan on staying for the long haul AND youth system is a good or required opportunity.

Occasionally, I hire some youth star to my lower-league club that I keep for a few years and then sell for millions. I can then revamp the entire squad with the transfer fee! 

On 16/04/2023 at 05:42, DarJ said:

what do you end up doing with them? and what clubs are you guys managing that you have the money to buy 200 players 

Sorry for missing your comment earlier!

Sadly, that save fell apart - bugs in the editor data file made everything crash once I got to a certain point.

And, yeah, I had a rich sugar daddy owner with a very large starting budget, playing in a league and a country with teams that had much smaller budgets.  It was fun.

I started loaning players out once they hit age 17.  The ones that clearly weren't going to ever be part of the first team would be on loan in perpetuity.  The ones who had a good chance of hitting the first team would go to the first team as soon as possible.  Pretty simple system.

My general approach to youth is:

- overhaul all the staff and facilities. Good personalities, coach ratings, training facilities, youth recruitment etc.

- set individual training and role training for all the three star and above players. I let staff run the general training as the basic routines are pretty good and I can't be bothered.

-  at 18, I will aggressively loan out any of the priority players, while keeping the U21 and U18 squads a decent size so they play well. I've sometimes taken on some dud youth players who will help the reserves keep winning matches.

- I get training emails and praise the good performers, and if they are progressing well. I used to praise/criticise their development every few months also but it only seems to effect morale so I have mostly left it this year.

Only thing I can't work out this year is whether it is worth adding U18/U21s to the senior training units so I can aggressively mentor them. I don't want them to miss out on training if we are playing midweek but also want to start moulding their personalities early.