Any reasons not to pick a loan player as captain/vice captain?

All else being equal, I want to pick a loan player as vice captain. Apart from him being a loan player it is a no brainer IMO.

Are the any reasons not to pick loan players as captain/vice captain? Does that work poorly in the game engine?

The game seems to suggest so, since the loan players are bottom of the pick list when you are told to choose captain/VC just before the first league game of the season.

hi Danej, out of the Leadership, collectif*, and personality, a captain must be on the top of team hierarchy* this is how you should choose your captain ;)

* words i'm not sure are good english x)

Edited by Drikcey75

Exactly. When choosing the captain and vice captain you should not just look at their Leadership and Teamwork attributes but also how high they are on the team hierarchy pyramid. Sometimes it's better to choose someone with lower attributes but high on the hierarchy so that he is respected by everyone on the team.

In this case, the loan player is actually high in the hierarchy. It is Dennis Cirkin, I am managing Sunderland, summer 2025. Just had to sell him to Sunderland because of a clause, I took their offer of a loan back for the season. In other words, he has been a regular at the club for the last three seasons and has been my vice captain all along.

3 hours ago, danej said:

All else being equal, I want to pick a loan player as vice captain. Apart from him being a loan player it is a no brainer IMO.

Are the any reasons not to pick loan players as captain/vice captain? Does that work poorly in the game engine?

The game seems to suggest so, since the loan players are bottom of the pick list when you are told to choose captain/VC just before the first league game of the season.

Avoid picking a young captain as well. Usually they're more affected by big games etc and it can rub off on their teammates when they get nervous. 

I'd also look for a Captain/Vice Captain who are in the starting 11 to influence games positively. 

They can be new signings to the club, an older player with high reputation and a good personality can go straight to the top of the hierarchy.