What's more important in training - star quality or coach workload?

I have one coach assigned to each area, so the star ratings are high but so are the workloads. I usually like to hire 1-2 backup staff to just spread across all the areas to help lighten the load, but no matter how many millions of euro I bring into my club they won't let me hire another body for some reason, so I can't do this.

Should I have everyone buddy up two to a category, lessening the star quality but lightening the load, or is the hit from "heavy" not that much and they're better off focusing just on their strong-suit?

You'd think it's the same amount of work spread around in different ways, but I don't know how the game calculates these sorts of things, and it's frustrating how you can see the stars go down when a coach is spread thin across categories, but there's no visual indicator for what happens when he's overworked in one category.

image.thumb.png.cb741cb4606d336a8f11ae7d06c75187.png

35 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Both are important.

If I were you, I'd really push to add one more coach and then assign him to help out in the areas where the workload is Heavy or Very Heavy.

I've tried so many times and am always shut down. It's very silly how I can bring in millions of euro and they won't let me spend 50-100k of it on another coach. It won't even give me the option to ask to raise the wages for youth staff, so I can't improve upon any of the awful coaches there because no one will join for the 8k max salary I can offer. It's very frustrating and doesn't make any sense.

The training workload lightened up a bit after I sold some players, but there are still a couple areas that are heavy. For those categories - is there any official word on which I should prioritize, stars or workload?

No, but as I said both are important.

If you have a 5 star coach, but he has far too many players to train, the quality of the training each player receives, will be poor as you're not utilising a good coach very well. If you have a 2 star coach with a few players, the players get the attention they need, but the training quality of a 2 star coach will be poor. Either way - it's a poor outcome. You have to find a balance until you're able to get more staff in to help out the workload.

The image that you show obviously does not show all your coaches but it does show, for example, that you have two defence coaches. If the tactical coach is rated as being decent technically and the technical coach is decent tactically have you tried assigning both coaches to both categories? I often find this to be decent solution as it lightens the workload of both categories and, depending, on the attributes of the two coaches, may not reduce the star rating significantly.

3 hours ago, Weston said:

I've tried so many times and am always shut down. It's very silly how I can bring in millions of euro and they won't let me spend 50-100k of it on another coach. It won't even give me the option to ask to raise the wages for youth staff, so I can't improve upon any of the awful coaches there because no one will join for the 8k max salary I can offer. It's very frustrating and doesn't make any sense.

Though I agree, it would be too easy to manipulate the system in order to get full 5 star across the board if you were given too many coaches too soon.

That said, the idea that I've got many £'s left over in player wages etc, but like you say, can't spend £100k of that on a new coach seems a little silly.

I'd like to see the back ground side of the game improved somewhat - it would be neat to see "set piece coach (def or att) being added into the game.

5 stars busy coaches >>> 3 stars non-busy coaches

I'd say as a pro tip, get a lot of reserve coaches as they help with workload. Never split a 5 star coach's tasks, have a lower tier coach support them instead

On 02/04/2023 at 09:06, Mitza said:

5 stars busy coaches >>> 3 stars non-busy coaches

I'd say as a pro tip, get a lot of reserve coaches as they help with workload. Never split a 5 star coach's tasks, have a lower tier coach support them instead

This is what I want to do but my club won't let me hire more staff.

• 4 weeks later...

I've now begged my board to increase the number of coaches probably 20 times with no luck. I broke the record for most transfer income, won a trophy and two runners-ups, guided the club back to European football, and then groveled at their feet at every available opportunity while they laugh me out of the room. I just don't get it, it's maddening.

I've always used U21 coaches to share the load. They appear on the same screen and affect the star/workload overall. Someone please tell me this is true and the U21 coaches aren't exclusively training U21 players. It makes sense in name but the whole screen is useless if they aren't training everyone...

Ideally, the workload should be light. So, spread a couple of weaker coaches across multiple responsibilities.

Coach personality is more important than stars, according to a training video by FM scout. (I don't totally like his approach, but here it is). Good luck.

Edited by phd_angel

11 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Ideally, the workload should be light. So, spread a couple of weaker coaches across multiple responsibilities.

Coach personality is more important that stars, according to a training video by FM scout. (I don't totally like his approach, but here it is). Good luck.

My players always complain about training no matter what so I've pretty much begun to just ignore it unless they're all clamoring for "we should be doing more of ___" and then I'll just add it in.

I just don't understand how we can be rich and successful and my club won't let me add another coach no matter how much I ask. Is this a bug? We will never get to light because I only have one coach per area, unless we just have everyone double up and decimate the stars.

If you have empty slots in other areas, like medical or recruitment, then add staff to those areas with secondary jobs as coaches.  If you don't have gaps, look to add secondary jobs when you renew contracts.

On 07/05/2023 at 03:36, Junkhead said:

If you have empty slots in other areas, like medical or recruitment, then add staff to those areas with secondary jobs as coaches.  If you don't have gaps, look to add secondary jobs when you renew contracts.

Interesting idea, but is this something you've gotten to actually work in practice before? The idea of a second job is not going so well for me so far with current staff nor potential hires, even though I'm sorting by people who are at least partially comfortable in both roles and am approaching targets I can afford.

image.thumb.png.0a0991c84e11ef64d59ef4e34a64762a.png

image.thumb.png.16114e02690618caf3c1031556bed24c.png

Edited by Weston

In some leagues reserve or even youth coaches can help with first team coaching.

Something else I will do is when looking to sign a goalkeeping or fitness coach I sign them as a normal coach that way they can also help with the workload 

5 hours ago, DarJ said:

In some leagues reserve or even youth coaches can help with first team coaching.

Unfortunately mine is not one of them.

5 hours ago, DarJ said:

Something else I will do is when looking to sign a goalkeeping or fitness coach I sign them as a normal coach that way they can also help with the workload 

Yes I try to do this too.

On 08/05/2023 at 23:04, Weston said:

Interesting idea, but is this something you've gotten to actually work in practice before? The idea of a second job is not going so well for me so far with current staff nor potential hires, even though I sorting by people who are at least partially comfortable in both roles and am approaching targets I can afford.

image.thumb.png.0a0991c84e11ef64d59ef4e34a64762a.png

image.thumb.png.16114e02690618caf3c1031556bed24c.png

Yes, multiple times, although mainly at lower levels.

In my current (FM22) save as a large club, I have found it harder, but possible;

image.png.d2543a5280b559b37702c35c2acbaa83.png

On 03/05/2023 at 10:05, Weston said:

I just don't understand how we can be rich and successful and my club won't let me add another coach no matter how much I ask. Is this a bug?

Is it a bug?  I don't know.  It was reported as one in FM22.  Playing as Arsenal I was never able to get the board to agree to add another coach, and they don't have enough for 1 coach/category.  I tried five separate saves, won the league, won the Champions League, yadda yadda, billion pounds in the bank, didn't matter.  Even had a takeover once, and I still couldn't get an extra coach.  But surely if it was a bug in FM22 it wouldn't continue to be one in FM23, right?  Errr, right?

22 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Is it a bug?  I don't know.  It was reported as one in FM22.  Playing as Arsenal I was never able to get the board to agree to add another coach, and they don't have enough for 1 coach/category.  I tried five separate saves, won the league, won the Champions League, yadda yadda, billion pounds in the bank, didn't matter.  Even had a takeover once, and I still couldn't get an extra coach.  But surely if it was a bug in FM22 it wouldn't continue to be one in FM23, right?  Errr, right?

I wish I'd counted but I've probably asked 20 times now. You'd think just off pure odds it should've happened at this point?

4 hours ago, Weston said:

I wish I'd counted but I've probably asked 20 times now. You'd think just off pure odds it should've happened at this point?

Went back to FM22 after my GamePass ran out and my time with FM23 ended, and I'm up to five requests on my Inter save.  Don't have enough coaches, counting the assistant manager and the manager, to have one coach per category.