Attributes required for a direct free kick

8 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Technique could be useful as it determines how much curl can be generated.

Nothing else is involved?
I watched a player with a Technique and Free Kick attribute of 20 in comprehensive mode and he scored 1 goal from a free kick in 3 years.

Edited by 뜨페이뜨

You have to remember with set pieces, unpredictability can yield tremendous results. Yes in theory a 20 technique, 20 free kick taking player should score more. But being able to hit it well, but perhaps not exactly as well as you wanted may well result in more goals. 

A simple example would be aiming for the top right corner of the goal, a "better" free kick taker could get the ball quite reliably within a couple of foot in that area. It's the best spot to go for with that players footedness, on that side, it negates the wall in a more meaningful manner etc etc. A "worse" player could still have the ability to get it up, over the wall and back down again but instead of it going to the top right corner its more left of centre. A keeper is off footed/less prepared and it results in a goal. 

You always have to remember, the gap between 1-20 isn't that great. The "struck it too well" is very much a thing in football, if you strike a ball exactly as you intended as is generally best for that position its more predictable. 

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Strength can determine the power of a shot, so that's maybe something to look into? AFAIK, those are the only 3 attributes used for a direct free kick.

I didn't know that strength determines shot power. thank you

31 minutes ago, santy001 said:

You have to remember with set pieces, unpredictability can yield tremendous results. Yes in theory a 20 technique, 20 free kick taking player should score more. But being able to hit it well, but perhaps not exactly as well as you wanted may well result in more goals. 

A simple example would be aiming for the top right corner of the goal, a "better" free kick taker could get the ball quite reliably within a couple of foot in that area. It's the best spot to go for with that players footedness, on that side, it negates the wall in a more meaningful manner etc etc. A "worse" player could still have the ability to get it up, over the wall and back down again but instead of it going to the top right corner its more left of centre. A keeper is off footed/less prepared and it results in a goal. 

You always have to remember, the gap between 1-20 isn't that great. The "struck it too well" is very much a thing in football, if you strike a ball exactly as you intended as is generally best for that position its more predictable. 

Interesting. thank you
I wrote this because I was frustrated because a player with high attributes couldn't score more goals than I thought.

In FM22 at least, for me the best free kick taker I've had is nabil fekir. Just seemed to score consistently. Also my other AMC Sergio canales was also fairly consistent. Both were around 15 on free kicks I believe but we're also just good all round players on technical aspects. Ward Prowse was 19 but did seem to score less often. His corners were excellent though. That was all playing at Real Betis. I did however put free kicks and set pieces in training quite a lot and not so much by the time ward Prowse came into the team. So how much influence that had I'm not sure.

Edited by mdaw1985