4-2-3-1 Man Utd

Although having played FM since the CM days I would describe myself as a tactical novice and not fully understanding exactly all the different roles and tactical instructions and how they all interact. Through reading this section of the forum it has helped me better understand how everything work together. I've attached below my current formation when playing at home (and away against the 'easier' sides) with my Man Utd save just starting the 2nd season. First season I finished 3rd on 82 points behind strong City and Liverpool sides. I've tweaked a few things and made some big signings to help push me on to the title in season 3.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Man Utd have never historically been a possession based club and the idea behind this tactic was to try and implement a more high intensity and fast attacking play. I am still expecting to dominate possession against the weaker teams but would probably expect to have under 50% against the stronger teams in the league.

I am looking to try and make the pitch nice and wide in attack which will hopefully open gaps through the middle for my central players to take advantage. I am looking to provide the width on the left from my WB which will free up space for Rashford to be one of my main scorers. I had thought about an IW for the right hand side but Antony seemed to really flourish as a winger even though it may not suit him being a left footed player he contributed 7 goals and 16 assists from 28 starts and 14 sub appearances so I have kept him as a winger for now.  I went with the SV on A duty as I really want them to providing plenty goals and assists during the year and both Sabitzer and Eriksen popped up with a decent amount last season so hoping Bellingham can take it to another level. I wanted to be aggressive in the press and hence I opted for a BWM alongside the SV. While this can leave me exposed defensively I thought it was a risk worth taking against the weaker teams. Away from home I change the roles to HB and SV on S duty for a bit more stability.

I have a much higher defensive line matched with a mid-block to really try and force a turnover in this area of the pitch which allows my pacey players further forward to exploit any gaps that may be left. I had contemplated a high block but thought this wouldn't suit players such as Rashford and Osimhen who are my main attaching threats.

It would be good to have some feedback from some of the more tactically able and some pointers in where I may be going right, or more likely, where I am going wrong. 

Below is a screenshot of the formation away form home against some of the stronger teams. 

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I think both generally look alright, neither look very possession based though. Have you tried either of them in matches?

Both have Pass into Space, Dribble More, Higher Tempo, Fairly Wide TIs on them so they look more fast paced attacking tactics to me. Especially with 3 of 4 of your most advanced players on Attack duties. You'll probably keep possession versus weaker teams by default but it might struggle with teams on par or better than you. Your under and over laps look unnecessary too when you think about the roles on the flanks you've used. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

I think both generally look alright, neither look very possession based though. Have you tried either of them in matches?

Both have Pass into Space, Dribble More, Higher Tempo, Fairly Wide TIs on them so they look more fast paced attacking tactics to me. Especially with 3 of 4 of your most advanced players on Attack duties. You'll probably keep possession versus weaker teams by default but it might struggle with teams on par or better than you. Your under and over laps look unnecessary too when you think about the roles on the flanks you've used. 

Thanks for the feedback, and the fast paced attacking style is what I am trying to achieve. 

The purpose of the underlap and overlap was trying to ensure that my LB provided the width down the left while my RW was the one stretching the pitch on the right. Also with underlap for the left to provide more cover for the SV on A duty. I have PI's of sit narrower and cut inside with ball.

Would there be any instructions I've used that you would say contradict what I am trying to achieve?

5 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

Thanks for the feedback, and the fast paced attacking style is what I am trying to achieve. 

The purpose of the underlap and overlap was trying to ensure that my LB provided the width down the left while my RW was the one stretching the pitch on the right. Also with underlap for the left to provide more cover for the SV on A duty. I have PI's of sit narrower and cut inside with ball.

You've set them up naturally then with your roles and PIs, I'm just thinking you should still drop them as in the first tactic, the IF(A) will be looking for the overlap, it might distract him from his role as a goal getter when he's having to look out for the overlap when he shouldn't have to, the WB(A) will provide the width without the instruction just fine  

9 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

Would there be any instructions I've used that you would say contradict what I am trying to achieve?

I'd probably have Bruno on Support at least, it's a very aggressive front 4 you've got and I'd probably just up the lines up in your home tactic, your other TI's are geared toward it. I'd experiment with the width a bit too, you've natural width with your Wingers and WingBacks so added more Width may not be needed 

Try them out and let us know how you get on :thup:

25 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

the IF(A) will be looking for the overlap, it might distract him from his role as a goal getter when he's having to look out for the overlap when he shouldn't have to

This is a good point and Rashfords goal return wasn't as good as I was hoping last season so I think I will definitely remove this one. My AMR seemed to perform well along with the RB so probably sensible to leave that for now.

26 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'd probably have Bruno on Support at least, it's a very aggressive front 4 you've got and I'd probably just up the lines up in your home tactic, your other TI's are geared toward it. I'd experiment with the width a bit too, you've natural width with your Wingers and WingBacks so added more Width may not be needed

Bruno performed great last season but think it might be an idea for the away tactic to have him on support, will give that a try. Thanks, definitely food for thought and will give it a go.