Need some help in changing the Champions league format to the early 2000 format (with two group stages)

PerS

Hi all!

Really hope there are some editor gurus who can help me with a little advanced rules problem. Take note that I am a noob with the editor.

Introduction:

I started really enjoying football during the early 2000s and was especially interested in the champions league, and loved the historical format with two group stages.

Problem:
Based on the editor work from V2023 where the new 2024 format is removed, I tried to make my own changes to the current champions league format in order to add an additional group stage to replace the round of 16.

My only changes are these:
1) Changed the “stages” from A to B. Effectively replacing the round of 16 with a secondary group stage:

image.thumb.png.163f700d904496191c45bc1ffbd14fc1.png

2) Made the following ranking schedule (no changes to the qualifying rounds # of teams):

image.thumb.png.6b02dc2a688a7c529c50b5b4c063ebd3.png

This is the error message I get when I test the rules:

Ze3KT6m5T8i28svgGbOtvJySNTeLUv-_LQzJg_TVeIVsMQP0cIZW1QrhQ1BtxYI0Qz9C4d4UDRzLtZ-fdbQI3I5n29ybr7Ye9OSRBxQUAns-uWnRHlWLXagS748xVmmx2N8mfFeh1FiPuBeYNW-Z-ec

No new format 2 stages.fmf

Yeah, you'd need to do a bit more. You need to setup the fixtures/settings for the 2nd group stage and tell it how to pass teams on from the 1st to the 2nd as well as from the 2nd group stage to the final cup stage.

Although there's already a 2 group stage UCL format file that you could look at if you're interested, https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/573487-uefa-format-with-2-group-stages-fm23/

Thank you for your reply! I will take a look at it at once : )

I tried the editor data that you linked, but it had an error which resulted in the 3rd and 4th place finished teams like Juventus, Chelsea and Spurs etc. were qualified for UEL rather than UCL.

Thanks!

Per

11 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Yeah, you'd need to do a bit more. You need to setup the fixtures/settings for the 2nd group stage and tell it how to pass teams on from the 1st to the 2nd as well as from the 2nd group stage to the final cup stage.

Although there's already a 2 group stage UCL format file that you could look at if you're interested, https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/573487-uefa-format-with-2-group-stages-fm23/

Hi again, Rusty. Thank you for your previous reply. I made an attempt to make the changes that you suggested, but I still get the same error message as in the original post.

Do you have any further suggestions? : )

Please find the updated database below. Once again, thank you so much for your help - it is r eally appreciated ! : )

No new format 2 stages new 1403.fmf

No new format 2 stages new 1403.fmf

I managed to find a solution (I forgot to change the ranking in the qualifying rounds (wich of course had to be changed when I added the second group stage).

I do now, however, have a new error message:

image.png.3211d5bdfad0bb7ca2952765d193e34c.png

5 hours ago, PerS said:

I managed to find a solution (I forgot to change the ranking in the qualifying rounds (wich of course had to be changed when I added the second group stage).

I do now, however, have a new error message:

image.png.3211d5bdfad0bb7ca2952765d193e34c.png

It's referring to Stage 2 - sub-Stage 0, ie. Group A of the 1st group stage. You have no schedule set for the 1st group stage.

5 hours ago, rusty217 said:

It's referring to Stage 2 - sub-Stage 0, ie. Group A of the 1st group stage. You have no schedule set for the 1st group stage.

It worked!

I tried a simulation and everything seems smooth!

Thank you so much for your help! : )