Regista & False 9

I was wondering if someone has ever played a regista and a false 9 in the same team? Can it work? If so what would the setup look like? I guess you would throw a ramdeuter or inside forward in the mix? 

Then related to this question I was wondering what is the best way to get the most out of a regista? There doesn’t seem to be too many people that have cracked the role in a good way by creating a team that plays primarily throught the regista. 

Like what would the ideal formation and roles around the regista look like to get the most out of the role?

I had some decent success with using regista alongside a half-back in a 4-2-3-1 DM.

He gives quite a few assists, sometimes scores from long shots or the edge of the box. In possession the system can sometimes look like a 3-3-4 in build-up with regista being in the very middle in between the wing backs pushing up, while HB drops between two CDs going wider. I can't say the team plays through him every time, but he will be your main riskiest passer. If anyone can be called a playmaker in this setup, it's the regista.

I didn't use an F9, because I had no player really fitting the role, but ideally that's exactly what I'd want to do. 

Obviously, it's a highly attacking setup.

image.png.ca87c3426e4296ff207293ec5fd607f3.png

Edited by Drake

On 10/03/2023 at 00:25, Bird_SA said:

I was wondering if someone has ever played a regista and a false 9 in the same team? Can it work? If so what would the setup look like? I guess you would throw a ramdeuter or inside forward in the mix? 

Then related to this question I was wondering what is the best way to get the most out of a regista? There doesn’t seem to be too many people that have cracked the role in a good way by creating a team that plays primarily throught the regista. 

Like what would the ideal formation and roles around the regista look like to get the most out of the role?

Regista is basically a DLP that's given a free role to roam from deep and take creative risks within the team. In comparison a DLP will hold position and a RPM will operate more like a Box to Box playmaker. The Regista operates w/ more flair and a greater creative range of passing than the other two who offer more defensive responsibilities. Personally I'd avoid combining the Regista with a ramdeuter, since you'd be pairing two completely free roles. If you have a top top player I'd chose to build around one or the other. Reigsta is a role primarily for high possession dominating tactics, high lines etc, and is almost always deployed in a double pivot. Usually I'd pair one with a holding midfielder, but they do work in tandem with a SV quite well. Ultimately you can make almost anything work in game, but those are the more traditional choices.

Double pivots work really well this year and tinkering with role combinations in game can help you find what role reflects what you want to see on the pitch. Keep in mind that roles will play differently based on the player in them and the attributes they have (not just the ones highlighted). I've been playing a Shadow Striker with the physical profile and aggression of a BWM and getting some cool results in my own save. 

If in doubt on what works best in your double pivot I'd start with a DLP(s) BWM (D) and make changes from there. 

Edited by Cloud9

Thanks for the responses. Really appreciate it. I have been experimenting a bit and at the moment I am getting absolutely pumped!! I have been playing fm for a couple of years but never have I had it this bad. 

At the start of my save I started with the following tactic:

image.png.2ec43e3a99c7f3659c833235c2ebcb62.png

It worked really well the only role I changed a lot was the striker. Sometime changed to target man, complete forward or deep lying forward as above. Was playing some really good, beautiful football. Then the slump came and teams started playing more defensive against me and I have just not been able to recover. By the way I have improved to team with signings and young players have developed etc. But my results have still not recovered.

Then I started the new season with some optimism and a new tactic that I wanted to implement. This tactic:

image.png.3b2218548827de8471a517d1d5471331.png

To say things are a nightmare is a understatement. I have tried changing the false 9 to a complete foward (s), changing the Ramdeuter to a inverted winger (a), changing the car to a ball winning midfielder (s) & (d), left wingback to a fulback on (s) and nothing seem to work. 

I am fully committed to make the regista work everything else I am willing to change. I have a decent player for the regista role and a young player that is not too bad either. They played the role great before. @Cloud9 I read your comment about the Ramdeuter and I guess that is the first change to make what combination of roles would you suggest for the left flank? Any other advice would be much appreciated.

I know you are committed to making a regista work but do note that in your second tactics you don't have a single true holding midfielder in your midfield. Like carrilero is a bit less adventurous than a box to box but really your midfield is downright suicidal, especially with those instructions. Unless you are playing as Real Madrid. 

I'm really not surprised that you are getting pummeled. I'm sorry but that's the reality.

13 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

I know you are committed to making a regista work but do note that in your second tactics you don't have a single true holding midfielder in your midfield. Like carrilero is a bit less adventurous than a box to box but really your midfield is downright suicidal, especially with those instructions. Unless you are playing as Real Madrid. 

I'm really not surprised that you are getting pummeled. I'm sorry but that's the reality.

What midfield setup would you suggest? I have a really great defensive midfielder (great mentals - workrate, teamwork and 18 tackling) that played the carrilero role in that tactic that I have tried as a ball winning midfielder (d) in the cm strata which also didnt work. I thought that the Inverted Wingback would do some of the covering for the regista? What does the IWB do on (d)? Anyway how would you setup the midfield and back 4 with the regista in mind? 

Edited by Bird_SA
Typo

2 hours ago, Bird_SA said:

What midfield setup would you suggest? I have a really great defensive midfielder (great mentals - workrate, teamwork and 18 tackling) that played the carrilero role in that tactic that I have tried as a ball winning midfielder (d) in the cm strata which also didnt work. I thought that the Inverted Wingback would do some of the covering for the regista? What does the IWB do on (d)? Anyway how would you setup the midfield and back 4 with the regista in mind? 

If you really want to use a regista then I would use a simple CM on attack duty (perfect fit making those central runs into space liberated by your False 9) and a CM(d).

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

If you really want to use a regista then I would use a simple CM on attack duty (perfect fit making those central runs into space liberated by your False 9) and a CM(d).

How would you setup the flanks? Would you keep the IWB and I guess I would have a winger on support on that side as well. Then on the left a Inside Forward or a Inverted winger on (a) ? With a wingback on support? Or rather a fullback?

9 hours ago, Bird_SA said:

Thanks for the responses. Really appreciate it. I have been experimenting a bit and at the moment I am getting absolutely pumped!! I have been playing fm for a couple of years but never have I had it this bad. 

It worked really well the only role I changed a lot was the striker. Sometime changed to target man, complete forward or deep lying forward as above. Was playing some really good, beautiful football. Then the slump came and teams started playing more defensive against me and I have just not been able to recover. By the way I have improved to team with signings and young players have developed etc. But my results have still not recovered.

Then I started the new season with some optimism and a new tactic that I wanted to implement. This tactic:

To say things are a nightmare is a understatement. I have tried changing the false 9 to a complete foward (s), changing the Ramdeuter to a inverted winger (a), changing the car to a ball winning midfielder (s) & (d), left wingback to a fulback on (s) and nothing seem to work. 

I am fully committed to make the regista work everything else I am willing to change. I have a decent player for the regista role and a young player that is not too bad either. They played the role great before. @Cloud9 I read your comment about the Ramdeuter and I guess that is the first change to make what combination of roles would you suggest for the left flank? Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.30.05 PM.png

How about a setup like this?  This is the closest thing I could think of for how it sounds like you want to play // could provide you with clearer goal threats and some structure. 

I would opt for the DLF over the F9, the DLF will add some muscle to the front line.

Edited by Cloud9

I would go for a regista/dm combination. Thinking of combinations such as Kante/Jorginho, Modric/Casemiro, Ericsson/Casemiro and Pirlo/Vidal at Juventus.  I would then have a CM (a) with a IW, IF and complete forward 

Yeah, I think I'd feel more comfortable using a Regista in a DM pairing with a partner that holds his position a bit more, just a Regista and Anchor or DM(D) should cover it, then build your other roles around that  

As the DM in a midfield 3 could be interesting, are you still using it @Bird_SA? I would go simple roles as your 8's, just a BWM and a CM or something to help secure the midfield and cover for the Regista, let him and the False9 create for the wide attackers. I would certainly use an IF or IW on Attack on the flanks over the Raumdeauter but that's a different story :lol:

I’m playing a 4231 with AS Roma in 2026, I use a RPM and a BWM on defend as DMs, but the RPM often becomes a Regista when I play with a player with less physical. I like the combination of Regista and BWM on defend since the BWM holds position but will step up more and get stuck in to compensate the lack of defensive work from the regista.

Up front I have a false 9 paired with a shadow striker and 2 inverted wingers (the support one on the same side as the regista) and it works wonders

19 hours ago, Rich162 said:

I would go for a regista/dm combination. Thinking of combinations such as Kante/Jorginho, Modric/Casemiro, Ericsson/Casemiro and Pirlo/Vidal at Juventus.  I would then have a CM (a) with a IW, IF and complete forward 

Modric is not a regista tho... Neither eriksen(maybe Man U Eriksen, I dont watch him a lot there but Spurs Eriksen was a CAM) . They both go high up the pitch and sometime initiate the Press. And Kante/Jorginho was more of a VOL-REGISTA Combination or BWM-SU/Regista combo. Kanté is not playing like a DM at all IRL. he doesnt hold position, he just roams to press the opposition like  a BWM would do. Modric usually goes up to press the opposition defenders with Benzema and that isnt a Regista behaviour. Frenkie De Jong is a real-life example of a Regista that plays in our time. He is deep but he loves to move and roam around his playmaking area. 

Edited by paracoolo

On 12/03/2023 at 00:51, Cloud9 said:

Regista is basically a DLP that's given a free role to roam from deep and take creative risks within the team. In comparison a DLP will hold position and a RPM will operate more like a Box to Box playmaker. The Regista operates w/ more flair and a greater creative range of passing than the other two who offer more defensive responsibilities. Personally I'd avoid combining the Regista with a ramdeuter, since you'd be pairing two completely free roles. If you have a top top player I'd chose to build around one or the other. Reigsta is a role primarily for high possession dominating tactics, high lines etc, and is almost always deployed in a double pivot. Usually I'd pair one with a holding midfielder, but they do work in tandem with a SV quite well. Ultimately you can make almost anything work in game, but those are the more traditional choices.

Double pivots work really well this year and tinkering with role combinations in game can help you find what role reflects what you want to see on the pitch. Keep in mind that roles will play differently based on the player in them and the attributes they have (not just the ones highlighted). I've been playing a Shadow Striker with the physical profile and aggression of a BWM and getting some cool results in my own save. 

If in doubt on what works best in your double pivot I'd start with a DLP(s) BWM (D) and make changes from there. 

I would also add that you can make  good counter-attacking football with a regista. He'll spray those long killer balls to the forwards or runners and it'll be entertaining to watch. 

2 hours ago, paracoolo said:

I would also add that you can make  good counter-attacking football with a regista. He'll spray those long killer balls to the forwards or runners and it'll be entertaining to watch. 

I'd be careful w/this approach, in a counter attack system this sounds like a "win more" strategy. 

A DLP(s), even a BPD or FB, with good technicals can launch your counter attack just as well as a roaming Regista and they won't be a liability or break your structure. In a double pivot you're already outnumbered in midfield and you'll get overrun w a Regista on the defensive. If you're going to carry a player in a counter attacking system it's probably better to prioritize pacey positions upfront that can stay high and put pressure on their backline.

The "roam" PI on the Regista really comes into its own during possession based systems where they can pop up in different locations to break down the opposition. 

Edited by Cloud9

3 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I'd be careful w/this approach, in a counter attack system this sounds like a "win more" strategy. 

How so? The role's just a risky and more direct passer from deep that roams so good for picking out players further up the pitch like you say, I don't see why it's win more thing

35 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

How so? The role's just a risky and more direct passer from deep that roams so good for picking out players further up the pitch like you say, I don't see why it's win more thing

I really think people have the wrong idea about the regista from reading this thread. While the regista roams it's more side to side than pushing up into the oppositions half. He will only do that if you ask him to go further forward. The rest of the time he plays around the semi circle on the half way line and just roams around to either side of it. The regista is nothing like a box to box player and very rarely (unless you asked him to or its from a set piece) deviate away from the centre of the pitch. He'll roam side to side but not forward. 

I use one with a DLF/F9 in this set-up, I change the role between the two depending on what sort of defensive line I'm against.

Bladesformation.png.8fd5e13df908f24e0afbd9866bb7af7c.png

image.thumb.png.970c3477f56c8cc793b2cc80fb67e32f.png

image.thumb.png.479250a660d4dca08747e8263e69f4e6.png

image.thumb.png.7e88fcbf6667c11c925ba0d38f763ed2.png

Untitled.thumb.png.b3e6787c7f57a9054b5417ebb35ef3a4.png

The yellow line is the area he patrols and will roam about there. The black line is as far as he will go with the ball or make runs as a general rule in open play. Once he reaches the black line he drops off again. And in this match it was a high line, attacking mentality and aggressive as we can be.  he just doesn't go as high as people are making out. 

He's also great defensively and is much more strict with his positioning. In defensive scenarios he is no different to a DLP on defend.

He's just aggressive with the ball and how he uses it. That's the only real difference between the regista and DLP. DLP is lots more sideways, backward and safety passes. The regista is more progressive and looking to put you on the front foot. It's the only difference.

Edited by Cleon

On 12/03/2023 at 14:17, Bird_SA said:

You are too attacking.I would start by changing iwbs to iwbd.

But in my mind in a positive mentality you must have a top team to leave alone a regista as a DM.

You need someone next to him ,i would change also passing to mixed while i would remove prevent GK short distr .

Edited by Panosgeo79

7 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Against tough opposition I prefer to run a BWM w/ a holding playmaker (you can then alter in the PIs if you want more direct/risks taken) since the BWM will be charging out of position to win the ball. I find it difficult to create little pressing traps if a member of the pivot roams. 

Since your attack is triggered when the ball is won back, I think your odds are better prioritizing defensive shape and looking to launch more counters.

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

Against tough opposition I prefer to run a BWM w/ a holding playmaker (you can then alter in the PIs if you want more direct/risks taken) since the BWM will be charging out of position to win the ball. I find it difficult to create little pressing traps if a member of the pivot roams. 

Since your attack is triggered when the ball is won back, I think your odds are better prioritizing defensive shape and looking to launch more counters.

Ah, with you now, I thought you meant it was an OP role or something :thup:

5 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Ah, with you now, I thought you meant it was an OP role or something :thup:

:) Any favorite roles on this years fm? 

The HB feels quite strong (maybe too strong) this year, but I've really enjoyed using a PF(s) the most. Been trying to get away from the AF and TF's which have served me so well in the past. Honorable mention to dependable soldier that is the FB(s).  

7 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

:) Any favorite roles on this years fm? 

The HB feels quite strong (maybe too strong) this year, but I've really enjoyed using a PF(s) the most. Been trying to get away from the AF and TF's which have served me so well in the past. Honorable mention to dependable soldier that is the FB(s).  

Great stuff!! :thup: There's quite a few I'm enjoying this year, I really like the wide AP on Attack, it's like an IF but with some extra style and license. I'm actually enjoying Wingbacks more this year now that DMs are all the rage, just let them fly up the flanks and stretch teams. The good ol' DLF is a lot of fun to watch in action, versatile and combines well with different roles. Pressing Forward is still a stable, I did a season with a Pressing Forward on Defend last year, that role's great fun too see in action and play around with :onmehead:  

19 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Great stuff!! :thup: There's quite a few I'm enjoying this year, I really like the wide AP on Attack, it's like an IF but with some extra style and license. I'm actually enjoying Wingbacks more this year now that DMs are all the rage, just let them fly up the flanks and stretch teams. The good ol' DLF is a lot of fun to watch in action, versatile and combines well with different roles. Pressing Forward is still a stable, I did a season with a Pressing Forward on Defend last year, that role's great fun too see in action and play around with :onmehead:  

Nice! I played with a Wide Targetman once and it was... surprisingly decent. Would be fun to tinker w a wide playmaker, I've always had them sit more centrally.

Any tips on getting a DLF firing with decent ratings? I've tried one a couple of times and always feel underwhelmed by their performance. 

Edited by Cloud9

4 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Nice! I played with a Wide Targetman once and it was... surprisingly decent. Would be fun to tinker w a wide playmaker, I've always had them sit more centrally.

Any tips on getting a DLF firing with decent ratings? I've tried one a couple of times and always feel underwhelmed by their performance. 

Do like a WTM, very underused role :thup: The way I see I DLFs are, there are two types. The Targetman type, the physical tall, stronger players who play with their back to goal, hold up defenders and lay it off to others, then turn and get forward. The other is the more skilful and technical type who can run on the ball and can pick out others. Both are lethal and if I'm looking for one, I try and get a combination of both.   

To get them scoring, it's the same as the other striker roles, they're less of a spearhead role than say an Advanced Forward or Poacher who look more to get on the end of chances, DLF's will involve themselves more in the build up so I like another attacking role with them from either out wide or deep. The DLF will still get on the end of chances like any other striker role

Here's some good reading from @Cleon about striker roles from a few years back that still holds up today

39 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Do like a WTM, very underused role :thup: The way I see I DLFs are, there are two types. The Targetman type, the physical tall, stronger players who play with their back to goal, hold up defenders and lay it off to others, then turn and get forward. The other is the more skilful and technical type who can run on the ball and can pick out others. Both are lethal and if I'm looking for one, I try and get a combination of both.   

To get them scoring, it's the same as the other striker roles, they're less of a spearhead role than say an Advanced Forward or Poacher who look more to get on the end of chances, DLF's will involve themselves more in the build up so I like another attacking role with them from either out wide or deep. The DLF will still get on the end of chances like any other striker role

Here's some good reading from @Cleon about striker roles from a few years back that still holds up today

I did an updated version recently;

and then did a follow up;

11 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Cheers, I'll give it a read :thup: Thanks for the additional resources linked @Cleon.

On 16/03/2023 at 03:08, Cleon said:

I really think people have the wrong idea about the regista from reading this thread. While the regista roams it's more side to side than pushing up into the oppositions half. He will only do that if you ask him to go further forward. The rest of the time he plays around the semi circle on the half way line and just roams around to either side of it. The regista is nothing like a box to box player and very rarely (unless you asked him to or its from a set piece) deviate away from the centre of the pitch. He'll roam side to side but not forward. 

I use one with a DLF/F9 in this set-up, I change the role between the two depending on what sort of defensive line I'm against.

Bladesformation.png.8fd5e13df908f24e0afbd9866bb7af7c.png

image.thumb.png.970c3477f56c8cc793b2cc80fb67e32f.png

image.thumb.png.479250a660d4dca08747e8263e69f4e6.png

image.thumb.png.7e88fcbf6667c11c925ba0d38f763ed2.png

Untitled.thumb.png.b3e6787c7f57a9054b5417ebb35ef3a4.png

The yellow line is the area he patrols and will roam about there. The black line is as far as he will go with the ball or make runs as a general rule in open play. Once he reaches the black line he drops off again. And in this match it was a high line, attacking mentality and aggressive as we can be.  he just doesn't go as high as people are making out. 

He's also great defensively and is much more strict with his positioning. In defensive scenarios he is no different to a DLP on defend.

He's just aggressive with the ball and how he uses it. That's the only real difference between the regista and DLP. DLP is lots more sideways, backward and safety passes. The regista is more progressive and looking to put you on the front foot. It's the only difference.

Have you experimented with moving the right WB to an Inverted Wingback? 

Curious if you think that would be workable to create "a box midfield" with the Mezzala and Wide Centerback providing the attacking width down that side.

I've come across a two footed wingback in my save and am trying to figure out new approaches to use him. Made me think of this thread from the other day w/ the Regista shuttling behind the midfield two. 

On 10/03/2023 at 19:25, Bird_SA said:

Going back to the original quote, I'm about to win League 2 with Morecambe playing three at the back with a Regista and a DM(S) directly in front:

PF(A)  TF(S)
              AMC(A)

WB(S) REG(S) DM(S) WB (A)
    CD(D) CD(D) CD(D)
                SK (D)

I have a couple of giants up front and the setup is designed to play to their strengths, but the pivot both supports and protects quite nicely with the Regista often hitting balls over the top for the AMC to run on to. I often change him tp to a DLP(S) if I want a bit more solidity (or the DMC moves to D).

8 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Have you experimented with moving the right WB to an Inverted Wingback? 

Curious if you think that would be workable to create "a box midfield" with the Mezzala and Wide Centerback providing the attacking width down that side.

I've come across a two footed wingback in my save and am trying to figure out new approaches to use him. Made me think of this thread from the other day w/ the Regista shuttling behind the midfield two. 

If you keep an eye on this thread;

I'll be updating it this week. And I talk about this type of thing and show examples of how I already create a box midfield while using the roles I currently have. I think people will find it really interesting. I ask the wigback to stay narrow instead of making him a IWB. This means I now have overlaps happening via team instructions and underlaps natural from what the wingback does.

12 hours ago, Cleon said:

If you keep an eye on this thread;

I'll be updating it this week. And I talk about this type of thing and show examples of how I already create a box midfield while using the roles I currently have. I think people will find it really interesting. I ask the wigback to stay narrow instead of making him a IWB. This means I now have overlaps happening via team instructions and underlaps natural from what the wingback does.

Great :thup: thanks for this. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

So an update on my current journey. Things have gone well at times and then not so well. I have managed to get up to 63 points in the prem on a couple of occasions and even managed to win the Europa League, however my current season has been a true disaster. I have continue using the regista role and I had a tactical setup that really worked well for while, but now I need to change things up a bit since I am just above the relegation zone and would probably have been fired already if I had not built up some good will. My current iteration some to not be creative enough and I am struggling to create enough chances. Here is the tactic. I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Only player instructions is for the BBM who has get forward, move into channels and take more risks. The idea being having him more as a attacking link, but still keeping some of his BBM behaviors

Also both the wingback and fullback have stay wider.

Screenshot 2023-04-30 165501.png

Edited by Bird_SA

bit late to this thread but I've had great success with both a reg and F9 in a 4-4-2 DM inspired by Crusadertsar's thread on F9 and poacher combo's (poacher being the other striker).  My first choice Reg posts decent average ratings and chips in with the odd assist (6 in 32 in the league last year) despite being a youngster (19 at the end of the season).

My first choice F9 got 14 goals in 25 games in the league, but was injured and my main back up who I play against weaker opposition got 11 in 18 (though that includes 10 sub appearances).

I also have a 4-2-4 DM system which I start against most 4-2-3-1s which also features both a F9 and reg (for some reason my usual 4-4-2 DM does not perform against 4-2-3-1 systems but 4-2-4 does).  We were top scorers (albeit only just) and had the meanest defence in the league last season)

As regards your current system, I would suggest you don't carry sufficient goal threat and your defensive instructions are risky, albeit viable if you have enough pace in your defence.

A winger-a does provide some goal threat from the AM strata and your striker also does, but both roles (CF-s and W-a) are a bit more balanced between creation and scoring, personally I would turn your BBM into a CM-a to add more threat from central positions to add to the hybrid threat from your right winger/striker.  Another change you could also consider is the AML to either AP-s and the CF-s to CF-a (this would bring the AML more infield and he would have options to play in the striker/CM-a or switch the play for the winger to cross for your dual central threat.  Alternatively, you could also keep the CF-s and turn the IW-s into IF-s which would also carry slightly more goal threat, whilst retaining a support role.  Lastly you could make the AML a TQ, this would be a bit risky on defence with both the LB and AML on attack but it could be quite pokey offensively and provide some real creative threat to combine with you CM-a and W-A.  Give some of these options a try and hopefully one will help, of course it depends on the players you have, some options may not be viable.

Instructions wise you could consider raising the tempo slightly to normal to unsettle packed defences a bit more and also experiment with your width setting against different opposition formations.  You also probably don't need the distribute to instructions when you already have play out of defence on, though that is a small point.

As regards defence, you probably don't need a stopper with 2 DMs and it could occasionally pull him out of position when the DM should be dealing with it but if its working don't change it.

Anyway hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. You make some excellent points. What other team instructions would you consider here? Overlap left or right? Be more expressive? Dribble less?

Also what do you expect from the experimentations with the width? I have tried it before without any good results.

Edited by Bird_SA

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to give a final update. I have changed to the tactic below and ended up doing the premier league & champions league double. So it all worked out in the end after 13 glorious seasons with Sunderland!

I rotated two strikers during the season and both chipped in with over 20 goals and my AM (A) had a complete stormer of a season with an average rating of 7.7 and also over 20 goals and 19 assists. Players I used in SS slot also scored frequently. Regista performed very well with loads of key passes and combined the two players I used had close to 20 assists. 

Screenshot2023-05-14234615.png.044f666f9ca8b20cf60c60155a1303a4.png

• 10 months later...

Reading loads of great articles for FM24 (then realised this was for FM23) and searched for Regista articles. Not many about and after reading Cleon's excellent description of the role I was determined to get it working. 

Currently at Dortmund rebuilding them and love this role and after 2 seasons feel like it is finally clicking. We are only in October but I bought Van Hees to play this role and he is starting to produce.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but wasn't sure about creating a new one and the info in here is still relevant.

Greg Richardson_ Inbox-2.png

Milo van Hees_ Profile.png

I think 4-3-3 is the right formation for a F9, and you could adapt it to work for a regista by using three DMs:

1. ST = F9(s)
  2. AML = IF(a)
  3. AMR = IF(a)
  4. DMCL = SV(a)
  5. DMC = HB(d)
  6. DMCR = REG(s)
  7. DL = WB(s)
  8. DCL = CD(d)
  9. DCR = CD(d)
  10. DR = WB(a)
  11. GK - SW(s)

I would play this with shorter passing and higher tempo. I've tried it with lower tempo, but it is far too tame in this match engine. I would use mid-block against an equal or better opponent and high-press against a worse opponent. Either positive or attacking mentality works.

The one key issue to using a F9 is that they can run into goalscoring dryspells that affect how FM perceives their form. They do get involved in the action a lot, though, and if they are dribbling wizards then they can make a big impact. I actually find these F9 4-3-3 tactics produce really pleasing football in FM24.

3 hours ago, Overmars said:

I think 4-3-3 is the right formation for a F9, and you could adapt it to work for a regista by using three DMs:

1. ST = F9(s)
  2. AML = IF(a)
  3. AMR = IF(a)
  4. DMCL = SV(a)
  5. DMC = HB(d)
  6. DMCR = REG(s)
  7. DL = WB(s)
  8. DCL = CD(d)
  9. DCR = CD(d)
  10. DR = WB(a)
  11. GK - SW(s)

I would play this with shorter passing and higher tempo. I've tried it with lower tempo, but it is far too tame in this match engine. I would use mid-block against an equal or better opponent and high-press against a worse opponent. Either positive or attacking mentality works.

The one key issue to using a F9 is that they can run into goalscoring dryspells that affect how FM perceives their form. They do get involved in the action a lot, though, and if they are dribbling wizards then they can make a big impact. I actually find these F9 4-3-3 tactics produce really pleasing football in FM24.

For an F9 you're really just looking for another player to be moving into that striker space, while the F9 helps to create space by dragging the defenders out of position. I don't think you should feel compelled to just run a 4-3-3 to get the best out of a F9.

A 4-2-3-1 for example could run a SS who pairs excellently with the F9 as does a 4-4-2 with a Poacher + F9 combo. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 16/03/2023 at 12:08, Cleon said:

While the regista roams it's more side to side than pushing up into the oppositions half. He will only do that if you ask him to go further forward.

Hi Cleon,

I have a question. Knowing that with the roles rotating from DM to AM due to positional play this year, if you instruct the RGA to get further forward will it affect the IW/IF position and keep them more wide on the field or is that not the case?

37 minutes ago, dzek said:

Hi Cleon,

I have a question. Knowing that with the roles rotating from DM to AM due to positional play this year, if you instruct the RGA to get further forward will it affect the IW/IF position and keep them more wide on the field or is that not the case?

Regista is not affected by positional play changes. Also even with "get further" instruction regista never gets into AM strata. What you are looking for is Roaming Playmaker in DM position. It will get up into AM strata and push IW/IF wide.

Edited by crusadertsar

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

Regista is not affected by positional play changes. Also even with "get further" instruction regista never gets into AM strata. What you are looking for is Roaming Playmaker in DM position. It will get up into AM strata and push IW/IF wide.

I’m looking exactly the opposite thing, which means a role which gets further forward but don’t push IW/IF out wide. :D

Get Further Forward PI affects the starting position of the player when his team has the ball?

18 minutes ago, dzek said:

I’m looking exactly the opposite thing, which means a role which gets further forward but don’t push IW/IF out wide. :D

Get Further Forward PI affects the starting position of the player when his team has the ball?

No it increases the frequency of forward runs. But the defensive position should still remain the same, the player will be spending less time there because he will be focusing more on getting forward at every opportunity.