Trying to create a 235 formation that pins the opposition into their own box

Pep has described many times his love of pinning the opposition into their own goal by recycling the ball around the opposition box constantly, counterpressing and sustaining pressure in the opposition final third by holding the ball there with dynamic runs from all players in the 235/325 formations. I am not having much success trying to replicate this tactic and philosophy of playing, does anyone have any idea how I can pin oppositions into their own box tactically?

Here's a very basic idea for the 2-3-5:

image.thumb.png.5d3893e84881494260db91582c919bb8.png

Obviously there's more than one way to achieve it and various different Pep teams to base it off of. Player attributes and traits obviously matter a lot in pulling off this brand of football. (I haven't tried this tactic, I just made it, but try and see if it works).

I find the most control comes from the metronomic passing of the team, which for me personally comes from Much shorter passing and slightly higher tempo. For others, Lower Tempo works with Standard or shorter passing.

The thing is with pressing in the game is that's it is very difficult to contort your teamshape to trap opposition (ie, fullbacks pressing on the flanks) So most of time it is very hard to make a good pressuring tactic.

Ive tried to replicate this aswell and i think ive done a good job at it. When we start having 60+% possession and/or winning. I add these instructions to keep the ball and constantly go at them.

take fewer risks to each player, increase tempo(sometimes), run at defence(or just have the wide player on attack duty), the most narrow width, focus play down the middle(sometimes or down the flanks) and overlap

I keep the pitch as narrow as possible so that the counter press is as effective as possible, the overlap is used cuz most of the time i do this i have IWBs and it sometimes lets them overlap. 

I also add step up more(+highest line of defence) to reduce space for attackers

Edited by Miragepredator

Ive tried the 235 often but have decided to shift more towards an Arteta Arsenal style of play since for me, they are the best team in the world as of now: 

Mark tighter tackle harder on all players to win the ball back as soon as possible

Shoot less often on all players to retain possession and look for high quality chances

Sit narrower on wingers in order to make sure they press the CBs with the SS

Take more risks, move into channels, dribble more and cross more often on the CM-As

More direct passing on the Anchor

Dribble more on both CBs with Stay wider on the left one so it creates a back 3

Stay wider and cut inside with the ball on the FB

I tend to dominate games with high xG numbers and around 60-70% possession, although I do concede a decent amount of chances on the break, if anyone has ideas to conteract it let me know

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 23.05.39.png

• 2 weeks later...

ive asked quite a few questions here trying to create the perfect 235, and i do think im getting close now. the only way ive been successful recreating proper touchline wingers who cut inside and having a player in all channels is the widest setting with play through the middle selected so the mezzalas (one on attack and one on support to give me depth through the lines) not drifting too far wide and my wingers stay wide holding the width. i like to use two iwbs to support my DLP as my mezallas do drift quite high. it works well, i get around 650/850 passes most game with 60%+ possession with high xG, whilst solid defensively. obviously you need to be one of the better teams but i hope this helps.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 05.28.56.png

9 hours ago, jalalanware said:

ive asked quite a few questions here trying to create the perfect 235, and i do think im getting close now. the only way ive been successful recreating proper touchline wingers who cut inside and having a player in all channels is the widest setting with play through the middle selected so the mezzalas (one on attack and one on support to give me depth through the lines) not drifting too far wide and my wingers stay wide holding the width. i like to use two iwbs to support my DLP as my mezallas do drift quite high. it works well, i get around 650/850 passes most game with 60%+ possession with high xG, whilst solid defensively. obviously you need to be one of the better teams but i hope this helps.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 05.28.56.png

Hi @jalalanware do you use any specific player instructions? Also do you do opp istructions or leave to your assistant?

1 hour ago, fadesany said:

Hi @jalalanware do you use any specific player instructions? Also do you do opp istructions or leave to your assistant?

Stay Wider and Get further forward on the wingers

Close down more on every player

Take fewer risks and Shoot Less Often on my IWbs

those as the main ones i can think of, i have trigger press selected on each position because I want to win the ball back as much as possible, i leave individual OIs to my assistant manager though.