Edited file crashes after 23.3 update. Advice needed.

\'Appy \'Ammer

I'm in a dilemma, and not sure what to do now? I have been spending the last few weeks preparing an update to my '80s style European competitions' file and I have been nearing completion of the project. I have been doing all testing within the editor, and I verified the file the other night. After the 23.3 update was released I decided to test my new file in the game environment. But after setting up a holiday the game crashes within 2 game days. I have submitted a support ticket and initial advice is to remove all custom files to see if game crashes. The game is fine then, so I have added the folders back one by one, and all is ok until I put back my 80s file. Not good. I loaded a save I had going a month ago using the original database and my 80s file, but that too crashes within 2 days. So any save with my old file or new file involved will now crash the game. 

I decided to verify the file in the fm22 editor to see if it would work. The file works great in fm22 , and i ran a holiday save with no issues overnight for 90 seasons. So something in 23.3 has triggered my file useless. What options do I have?

I could rebuild the file from scratch, but apart from taking ages to do, if I am literally copying the file bit by bit to a complete replica, would I not be getting a repeat of the crash. I think if I do rebuild, maybe 1 competition at a time and testing in between to see if the crash occurs. Are there any other better options out there for me to try?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by \'Appy \'Ammer
typo

58 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Thanks for any advice.

Have you by any chance included Russia or Belarus? Even if they're competing under the Soviet Union flag it could be that an update has 'fixed' something regarding their sanctions. 

33 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

Have you by any chance included Russia or Belarus? Even if they're competing under the Soviet Union flag it could be that an update has 'fixed' something regarding their sanctions. 

I have included them. I could try omitting them and see if that does anything. I've someone else's international file for 32 nation world cup's that I've included Russia in and that still works ok. Unless the issue is the clubs only. 

4 hours ago, Fredrik said:

I've just done a few tests, and still have the crashing within a few days. I removed Russian and Belarussian from the 3 European competitions and also removed both countries from Europe>Nations.

I feel my only option is to rebuild it from scratch but as I said above, surely if I am just repeating the steps I have done before I will get the same result....a crash.

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

The 23.3 update definitely did something ... none of my files are working. They all crash in 2026-2027. None of trouble shooting has worked so far.

Have you tried using your file in FM22 (if you have it)? I verified mine in the fm22 editor and the file works fine. I'd love to know what 23.3 has done. 

I've had no further response from Sega Support yet, but I bet they say nothing can be done because the game does not crash without custom files. I am quite snookered.

9 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I've just done a few tests, and still have the crashing within a few days. I removed Russian and Belarussian from the 3 European competitions and also removed both countries from Europe>Nations.

I feel my only option is to rebuild it from scratch but as I said above, surely if I am just repeating the steps I have done before I will get the same result....a crash.

Have you tried using your file in FM22 (if you have it)? I verified mine in the fm22 editor and the file works fine. I'd love to know what 23.3 has done. 

I've had no further response from Sega Support yet, but I bet they say nothing can be done because the game does not crash without custom files. I am quite snookered.

Yet they give you an pre-editor . What a cop out . Its part of the whole package of buying the game isn't it ? 

Also one reason i found out is pure laziness of whoever does the editor as my issue was the Asian U20s Cup Qualifying was saying it need 50 teams but found none even though my custom file never even used it.  So I got into that file and found no teams at all either registered or any rule of qualification . 

The only thing I could do was delete it to make my file work

Just lazy 

Edited by alian62

@alian62at least you were given a message why your file failed. You're then able to use logic to get your file up and running (which you shouldn't have had to do in the first place). I get nothing. Just a crash. That leaves me with absolutely no indication as to what the problem is , but the pre game editor says the file is fine. File even works on fm22 ffs!

• Administrators
On 06/03/2023 at 06:29, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

As well as the support ticket (which will get nowhere) I've logged it in the bug tracker. Others have had crashes, not all similar, but if enough people log issues SI may feel obliged to look into it further. 

Hey, sorry you've had this issue.

If you are on Windows and had the crash dialog message appear, what you can do here is put some information in there and tell us exactly what message you've sent, and we can look at the crashes directly. If you're able to reproduce and do that and update either your support ticket or the bug tracker, one of the team will relay your info over to me to look at.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

I actually had no fix myself, but SI released a minor update earlier which has fixed my crash issue using my custom edited file. 

We might be speaking too soon though .. the patch did give an extra 2 years but now crashes in 2029 January 7

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

31 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

We might be speaking too soon though .. the patch did give an extra 2 years but now crashes in 2029 January 7

We must have had different reasons for the crash. I couldn't get beyond 2 to 3 days. You managed 5 years before your first crash. Mayeb @Lucas could look at your file.