(FM23) This Is Berlin

Coxie84

(FM23) This Is Berlin: Introduction

Posted on 1 Mar 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-4.jpg?w=1024

“This Is Berlin” Introduction

Berlin, the capital of Germany. Home of FC Union Berlin a storied football club infamous for having never won the Bundesliga title in their 57 year history. Can they finally defy all odds and dethrone reigning champions FC Bayern München establishing Berlin as the home of German football as we start our “This is Berlin” series adventure!

History Of FC Union Berlin

FC Union Berlin were founded in 1966, but its pre-history goes way back to 1906 when its forerunner FC Olympia Oberschöneweide were founded – that is one of many clubs that Union Berlin has its root in.

FC Olympia Oberschöneweide become SG Oberschöneweide after World War II. In 50’s, this forerunner of FC Union Berlin was split into two clubs since the players were not allowed to travel to West Germany to play in the German football championship after being the runners-up in Oberliga Berlin. The players responded by going to the West Germany anyway and set up a new club, which became Sport-Club Union 06 Berlin.

What remained from the old club would continue to play in the regional competitions and during the next decade change it’s name several times before finally setting with FC Union Berlin.

In the 60s, FC Union Berlin was a member of the DDR-Oberliga, the highest league in the East German football.

The fall of the wall In 1989 which divided the east and west sides of Berlin was once again one city. In the time of the political changes, FC Union Berlin were in financial struggle and because of that they were not allowed to play in 2. Bundesliga despite winning the division twice below in the 90s.

Finally, in 2001 after winning the third division once again, they were granted a place in 2. Bundesliga. The same year they reach their first final in the DFB-pokal, but lost to Schalke 04.

Almost twenty years later, FC Union Berlin managed to get promoted to the Bundesliga for the first time in its history.

image-16.png?w=1024

THE KITS LOOK AWESOME…

image-17.png?w=885

The Series Begins

38 year old CoxieFM is hired as the new manager of FC Union Berlin. In a statement I am proud to take over the reins at this wonderful club, in what I hope will be a long term career with the side from the German capital and hoping one day we can lift the Bundesliga title and hear the sweet sounds of the Champions League music echoing around the Stadion An der Alten Försterei.

image-14.png?w=1024

The season preview has us down to finish 16th in the league and to battle bravely against relegation and a massive 150-1 odds on to win the Bundesliga, I am sure I got a quid knocking about somewhere to put that on down the bookies, you never know, look when the foxes nearly got relegated that one season and then won the PL, I am sure the odds were like 5000-1, I think? It also looks like I am one of five new managers to grace this league this season and I look forward to facing an ex-Norwich manager and especially the legendary midfielder Xabi Alonso.

image-20.png?w=1024

I think the boards vision’s for this season are achievable. Also, I do like the idea of signing players from our domestic rivals which I will defo be raiding the likes of Bayern, Dortmund and RBL and the fans want us to sign German players which I will look at to keep them on my side.

image-18.png?w=1024

I have only loaded six nations for this series and have used the latest transfer updates from Football Manager Transfer Update which I am a member of. But, will having the first transfer window disabled come to bite me??? Only time will tell…

football-manager-2023_-choose-nations.pn
football-manager-2023_-main-menu.png

Meet The Squad

At first glance of the 27 first team players, I have to work with at the start of the series is not bad to be honest, with a few that stand out players like Knoche, Baumgartl, Trimmel, Khedira and Becker. Let’s hope, we don’t get any bad injuries and I regret having the first transfer window closed, which will likely happen…

image-19.png?w=1024

Final Words

After a month away from blogging, socials etc..I thought I’d drop this introduction to a save that I have recently started offline and enjoying so far… I don’t yet, if I will be returning to blogging full-time like how I used to blog 3-4 times a week, It might only be 1 or 2 blogs per week.

I’d also like to thank all the peeps that DM me whilst I had my time away, much appreciated…

In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback and questions and don’t forget to check out all the other blogs on here and you can follow me on Twitter here.

See you next time and thank you for reading…

(FM23) This Is Berlin: Preseason ’22

Posted on 4 Mar 2023 by CoxieFM
slide1-6.jpg?w=1024

Berlin, the capital of Germany. Home of FC Union Berlin a storied football club infamous for having never won the Bundesliga title in their 57 year history. Can they finally defy all odds and dethrone reigning champions FC Bayern München establishing Berlin as the home of German football as we start our “This is Berlin” series adventure!

Last episode: (FM23) This Is Berlin: Introduction

Preseason

Mixed results in preseason as we played three games with the outcome of one win, one draw and one defeat as that I look to use a tactic that may work well with this current squad. You see below the tactic below but if you want to see if properly then I can put it into the next blog and it’s something different to what I have used in the past on FM23. Let’s hope it works for when the season starts…

The first game was against Czech side FC Viktoria Plzeň and ended in a boring 0-0, cough how can I write this match up when we didn’t hit the target but the Czech side did three times but at least Rennow was alert the save us from defeat.

Dutch side PEC Zwolle (who in real life won 13-0 against Den Bosch yesterday), anyway back to the real world of FM and I got my first win in charge beating them 4-1 before ending preseason in defeat against Turkish side Hatayspor 2-0.

• union-berlin-v-viktoria-plzen_-review.pn
  • hatayspor-v-union-berlin_-review.png?w=1
  • pec-zwolle-v-union-berlin_-review.png?w=
  • union-berlin-v-viktoria-plzen_-review.pn
  • hatayspor-v-union-berlin_-review.png?w=1

DFB-Pokal

1st Round

Hello 1st round, goodbye 1st round…

This season’s DFB-Pokal only lasted 120 minutes plus a shoot-out as we crash out of the competition at the first hurdle against TSV 1860 Munich on penalties. We had taken the lead thanks to a Becker strike from outside of the box and then we thought we were two nil up but Michel’s didn’t time his run and was caught offside. They pulled one back after the break and the match ended 1-1 after extra time. It was Siebatcheu who missed our penalty in the shoot-out. Well, I know one person who will be happy with this result THE FM ACADEMY, who’s currently doing a series with the German side and is in season 6 with them, so go check it out…

Oh, well there’s always next season for this competition and revenge too.

image-1.png?w=1024

Transfer News

We start the season off with just under a million pound in the transfer budget and roughly £16K per week in the wage budget. That is poor for a Bundesliga side and I believe they maybe ranked 17th in the table in transfer/wages, if I am right.

However, work with what you got CoxieFM and it’s one in and one out the door at Union.

We welcome soon to be golfer and Welsh International Gareth Bale to the Stadion An der Alten Försterei. He is only here on a 6 month contract as that he has already announced that he is going to retire in Jan 2023. To be honest, I didn’t even think I’d get him. But let’s see what he can do for the iron ones during his time at the club.

image-2.png?w=1024

The first out the door is Niko Gießelmann.

I was not going to sell anyone this season and see what we could do with the whole squad. However my hands were tied as Niko made it clear literally a week into this series that he wanted to explore his options, so I thought I would test the waters to see if anyone wanted him because well he was in his last year of his contract. Sold to Bayer Leverkusen for £3.5m, I think I got around £2.4m/£2.6m into the transfer budget out of the deal…

image-3.png?w=1024

Final Words

I will be trying something new during this series, and doing monthly blogs instead of a season review or 2-4 blogs per season as that I don’t want to put any pressure on myself in blogging etc. It will probably take me one of two blogs to know what I want to read so bear with me but if you read down to hear then I would appreicated any feedback etc…

In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback and questions and don’t forget to check out all the other blogs on here and you can follow me on Twitter here.

See you next time and thank you for reading…