Winter Patch Speculation Thread

2 minutes ago, oi_oi_ginger_roy said:

As i said earlier though, the winner gets to then tailor their newgen so that won't happen overnight after the competition closes (plus it says the winner will be contacted within a week of it closing) - so if they are waiting for this before releasing the update you're looking at around 9th March not the 2nd

That would be the most ridiculous delay ever. If the update was held back due to that then SI have more problems that I would’ve ever thought. There’s no reason why this couldn’t be done in a separate update 

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, oi_oi_ginger_roy said:

As i said earlier though, the winner gets to then tailor their newgen so that won't happen overnight after the competition closes (plus it says the winner will be contacted within a week of it closing) - so if they are waiting for this before releasing the update you're looking at around 9th March not the 2nd

If this is the thing than maybe they will just do 1 update instead of 2? At least that would make sense now.

What is the date of the last transfer window end?

3 dakika önce, gggfunk said:

If this is the thing than maybe they will just do 1 update instead of 2? At least that would make sense now.

What is the date of the last transfer window end?

I think the last one that SI cares is Turkish transfer window, which is closing on March 7th

10 minutes ago, kiingallen said:

That would be the most ridiculous delay ever. If the update was held back due to that then SI have more problems that I would’ve ever thought. There’s no reason why this couldn’t be done in a separate update 

If they’re holding up an update for some

ridiculous newgen competition then people will lose their ****. Surely the newgen comp is updated on the next update after this 

They won’t delay because of newgen competition lol. It might be a good distraction though as update is a bit more complex than usual . Or, it might come out any minute now….

it would be good of them to indicate when it is, as it appears alot of people are hanging on this.

10 minutes ago, akinozcan said:

I think the last one that SI cares is Turkish transfer window, which is closing on March 7th

So it would really make sense to wait one more week and release the one final update around March 15th. However, I don't really believe it as SI keep replying on twitter that it should be out around late February/early March.

I'm pretty sure we will get it this week.

7 minutes ago, John Joe O'toole said:

If they’re holding up an update for some

ridiculous newgen competition then people will lose their ****. Surely the newgen comp is updated on the next update after this 

Or....and follow me on this one, they have a date planned and has set the competition dates based on that. You are putting the horse in front of the cart with that logic, mate.

30 minutes ago, XaW said:

Or....and follow me on this one, they have a date planned and has set the competition dates based on that. You are putting the horse in front of the cart with that logic, mate.

Yeah but then they have no flexibility on update release date? God knows I’m just hoping 😂

Edited by John Joe O'toole

4 minutes ago, John Joe O'toole said:

Yeah but then they have no flexibility on update release date? God knows I’m just hoping 😂

Yeah, I don't know anything more than you, but I doubt something like a competition would change it. Perhaps the competition is to be implemented in a future game for all I know... It's anyone's guess really.

If it was coming out today it would be released by now but last few editions they haven't waited this late to release a patch. Possibly the earthquake situation has delayed it as they have to take out turkish players out of the game and staff are on leave, I don't know

Just now, autohoratio said:

SI have really fumbled the bag this year tbh

Here's my FM22 play time:

image.png.2e4c1acb8fa1b179d286d116615eaad5.png

versus 2023:

image.png.ace8d6cf835a43ff58acb2dbe8a461b0.png

Have had no desire to pick 23 back up at all

image.png

I'm yet to even play the game at all and have been waiting for this update to come out.

Though by the sounds of it I've not missed much this year :D

7 minutes ago, VP. said:

I'm yet to even play the game at all and have been waiting for this update to come out.

Though by the sounds of it I've not missed much this year :D

You haven't, I went back to 22 in December. I am going to give it one more chance once the update drops, but as of now 20, 21, and 22 are all superior in nearly every aspect.

Edited by smithy20

8 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

SI have really fumbled the bag this year tbh

Here's my FM22 play time:

image.png.2e4c1acb8fa1b179d286d116615eaad5.png

versus 2023:

image.png.ace8d6cf835a43ff58acb2dbe8a461b0.png

Have had no desire to pick 23 back up at all

image.png

It’s all about opinions haha. I’m opposite of that. Think it’s great. Not perfect by any stretch. But very playable. Neither of us right or wrong. 

4 minutes ago, SimonHoddle said:

It’s all about opinions haha. I’m opposite of that. Think it’s great. Not perfect by any stretch. But very playable. Neither of us right 

I'm with you. I thought 22 was poor, the ME in 23 is miles ahead. FM22 was the same goals again and again. 

2 minutes ago, Teep said:

Imagine a company like SI not being able to give ahead of time the date they'll release the one major patch of the year. Like, are they that behind on schedule that they rush on a day-to-day basis to finally get the patch out?

Well, they've made an active choice of not announcing releases or patches. Personally, I think more info from developers to the users is a good thing, so I think they should be more open about it. Though I do see the counter argument in "what if there is a big issue they haven't fixed by the deadline?". Would everyone here be happy if SI had said we will release it at <insert date> and then a few days before they had said it would be postponed a few days?

And I do think they could drop more smaller updates, but as someone who works in software testing, more releases = more testing = more resources spent on OTHER things than fixing stuff. So it's not a matter of "Just update more often" in isolation, just keep that in mind.

Just now, limey150781 said:

Not really. It's not only a patch to add transfers is it.

It's also really standard. Past few years .3 has been out tail end of February with .4 in mid-March. Go back to 3-4 years ago and it used to be the January transfer patch was mid-March.

57 minutes ago, Teep said:

Imagine a company like SI not being able to give ahead of time the date they'll release the one major patch of the year. Like, are they that behind on schedule that they rush on a day-to-day basis to finally get the patch out?

Isn't it better they get it right and put out the best possible game even if we have to wait another week?? Go back ten years ago, they used to be very honest about patch releases. But then any indication a patch was imminent and further delays would be treated like betrayal and these forums would be carnage... so since then they've stuck to a principal of no information. I don't blame them tbh. As a community we reap what we sow. Toxicity leads to less openness.

3 minutes ago, kenbelly83 said:

Starting a new game now - just before the patch...worth it?

Normally i believe the patch can be applied in existing games.

Most of the stuff will work on existing saves. Usually, only updates to players, transfers, and league rules need new saves.

4 minutes ago, kenbelly83 said:

Probably not worth it given we are so close. Yeah some fixes will apply but not everything will. Hence its probably just better to wait just little longer for the release. 

12 minutes ago, kenbelly83 said:

After months away from the game I'm not sure I can wait any longer and might just get stuck in now.

43 minutes ago, XaW said:

Well, they've made an active choice of not announcing releases or patches. Personally, I think more info from developers to the users is a good thing, so I think they should be more open about it. Though I do see the counter argument in "what if there is a big issue they haven't fixed by the deadline?". Would everyone here be happy if SI had said we will release it at <insert date> and then a few days before they had said it would be postponed a few days?

And I do think they could drop more smaller updates, but as someone who works in software testing, more releases = more testing = more resources spent on OTHER things than fixing stuff. So it's not a matter of "Just update more often" in isolation, just keep that in mind.

And don't SI have to roll out updates for multiple systems at (near enough) the same time? Could that be why they might prefer larger, less frequent updates?

I do agree, though, that SI could be rolling out smaller updates more frequently. But it seems odd to me that SI would put out a mini-update early in the game cycle to remove Steven Gerrard as Aston Villa manager - and yet they haven't been as quick to put out hotfixes for users who are experiencing performance issues. It's only a minor thing, but that does give the impression that they aren't quite getting their priorities right.

At the same time, though, I understand why SI want to take their time over the next big update, rather than give in to the "WHERE'S MY UPDATE" crowd and rush it out before it's ready. There are plenty of stories about big game developers with toxic crunch cultures and hostile work environments. I'm sure SI don't want to end up in that situation - and I hope nobody in here wants them to either.

2 minutes ago, we88y said:

After months away from the game I'm not sure I can wait any longer and might just get stuck in now.

you don't have to start a real save just start something to mess around a bit and try new things until the update comes out then you can start playing seriously 

2 minutes ago, CFuller said:

At the same time, though, I understand why SI want to take their time over the next big update,

the problem with taking too long is that people start to get their hopes up even if compared to previous years it's just 3 days late at the moment. If the update take until the first or second week of March and it doesn't meet expectations, it's going to be rough for them and this year has already been bad. I'm just glad I'm happy with the game in general so I don't have big expectations 

7 hours ago, Dreambuilder said:

Funny I feel the opposite :) Just want updated transfer data to start my new save :) In FM24 I’m gonna start my main save after beta tho and not care about winter update transfers as the winter window in sweden is open much longer and the teams wont be complete until april anyway.

Same lol, I like for things to be up to date. Do you bother about the March update or are you only bothered about the main one? I'm not too bothered about the few league windows that remain open myself, I just want the main ones covered.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

1 minute ago, DarJ said:

the problem with taking too long is that people start to get their hopes up even if compared to previous years it's just 3 days late at the moment. If the update take until the first or second week of March and it doesn't meet expectations, it's going to be rough for them and this year has already been bad. I'm just glad I'm happy with the game in general so I don't have big expectations 

How can it be 3 days late when no release date is given? I don't understand where this assumption that it should be out in Feb comes from.

1 minute ago, limey150781 said:

How can it be 3 days late when no release date is given? I don't understand where this assumption that it should be out in Feb comes from.

I said "compared to previous 3 years". In FM 21 it was released on the 21th of Feb and last year on the 24th so I'm not surprised people think Feb and those that have asked on twitter get the same copy and paste reply each year of " it's usually later Feb or early March"

Like I said I'm already happy as it is so I'm not too fussed if they said for some reason that there would be no more updates apart from the database update 

2 minutes ago, DarJ said:

It's three days late compared to last year. SI might actually be on schedule at their end.

But I do understand what you're getting at.

I haven't really enjoyed FM23. Other than a short throwaway save a few weeks ago, I've barely touched the game in the past three months. Every part of this release cycle - feature reveal, beta, full release, first update - nas been a PR and/or gaming disaster in one way or another, and this next patch is probably their last chance to win me over before I move on from FM23.

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

But it seems odd to me that SI would put out a mini-update early in the game cycle to remove Steven Gerrard as Aston Villa manager - and yet they haven't been as quick to put out hotfixes for users who are experiencing performance issues.

This is because the data changes can go in with minimal testing rather than performance that needs to be tested on lots of systems and setups. Changing a manager is not a _functional_ change in FM, performance is, and thus require a hell of a lot more testing.

I think I'd be happy with an update which goes back to the feeling of the original match engine at the start of the year. I miss the battles in the middle of the park and bored with the long balls over the top.

I've played very little FM this year and unless they get the patch right I might just hold off and see what the engine looks like next March.

11 minutes ago, stevemc said:

I'd happily move to a monthly subscription model for FM (as an alternative option), rather than a one-off yearly payment, if it mean't more clarity and more frequent, smaller patches and improvements along the way, possibly even opt-in Beta's to help with testing, there could be loads of benefits on both sides.

Spending £35-40 in October every year for a game that isn't truly long-term playable and/or at it's best until March, just feels like your are asking for negativity. IMO, possibly holding off on ME and UX/UI updates in order to bundle them in with a Winter transfer patch, seems a bit of... a waste of time.

They offered an opt-in beta, and people refused to treat it in the spirit was intended, so it was withdrawn as a complete waste of time.

A subscription model isn't going to magically change anything. All the things you said they could do under the current model. All it does is add more uncertainty on SIs end. 

10 minutes ago, forameuss said:

They offered an opt-in beta, and people refused to treat it in the spirit was intended, so it was withdrawn as a complete waste of time.

A subscription model isn't going to magically change anything. All the things you said they could do under the current model. All it does is add more uncertainty on SIs end. 

Finances aside, changing to a subscription model would completely change their development cycle. The whole business model is built around getting new features out for an November release. If they didnt have the pressure of a strict November release every year then they could be more flexible with what they spend development time on and when.

Who knows how it would impact things if it was actually implemented but it's wrong to say it would make no difference and there are potential benefits if you just look at it from a development point of view.

24 minutes ago, forameuss said:

It can do, a monthly subscription could have a slightly higher cost against it, therefore raising extra revenue to put back into continuous development and if utilised correctly can unlock internal budgets and resource. This would help with smaller more manageable targeted updates (to fix bugs and possibly iterate on current features) after a major yearly update/release, all the way through. Not just an update in March then radio silence until the next FM comes out.

They could do everything I said in the current model, you’re correct, but why would they when they already have payments up front? Get an update out then it’s all eyes on FM24.

Both options could be available but each to their own, just a thought. :thup:

Edited by stevemc

44 minutes ago, forameuss said:

You would be surprised what money can do, for one it would provide more incentive from the development team to keep introducing new things that keeps the user investing in the game.

More money = more incentive.