Lookalike stadiums in FM23

Hi model citizens,

I know there is a thread with pics of various stadiums from FM23. But have you encounterd a stadium, that actually looks like its real version? I really miss those FMs when you had a real feeling you are playing at San Siro or Stamford Bridge, because the stadiums looked so much like the real ones.

Feel free to post pics.

Cheers!

30 minutes ago, Ghost77 said:

Hi model citizens,

I know there is a thread with pics of various stadiums from FM23. But have you encounterd a stadium, that actually looks like its real version? I really miss those FMs when you had a real feeling you are playing at San Siro or Stamford Bridge, because the stadiums looked so much like the real ones.

Feel free to post pics.

Cheers!

As we know there are licensing issues around real stadiums, but the artwork on some stadiums is so bad (massive tunnels, picnic benches etc.) that I doubt any legal action would stand up in court, but I understand that SI would want to maintain good relations with clubs

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

As we know there are licensing issues around real stadiums, but the artwork on some stadiums is so bad (massive tunnels, picnic benches etc.) that I doubt any legal action would stand up in court, but I understand that SI would want to maintain good relations with clubs

Yes, I know they dropped the efforts to make stadiums look like real ones because of licensing issues. That's actually why I am searching for stadiums that still look a bit like their real versions :)

Edited by Ghost77

If nothing else, it would be good if stadiums with, say, athletics tracks around the pitches, are actually represented as such, even if the rest of it isn't that similar. Some countries have this in the majority of grounds but on FM it's all 'stands close to the pitch' etc.

Likewise, such is the rise of people playing low down the pyramids thanks to the community editors, some very basic non-league grounds are needed too, namely with just one stand and railings or whatever, rather than a step seven club playing in a ground with big empty stands in them.

As said though, somehow making the stadiums editable so the talented community folks can do the rest would be a big step and add so much to the immersion and realism.

And for the love of god can we please get rid of pub benches and ice cream vans and such like. 

31 minutes ago, Lord Duffucus said:

And for the love of god can we please get rid of pub benches and ice cream vans and such like. 

Especially in places you could never get to...like half way up buildings.

Here's comparison (I did a few of these for last year). This is Frosinone's Stadio Bentio Stirpe.

I can only assume that SI take the basics of the ground (e.g. four stands, four corner sections, 20,000 capacity) and the stadium is generated. Whether it's an accurate representation is purely down to luck.

frosinone-benito-stirpe.jpg

On 23/02/2023 at 22:40, Lempicka said:

Boca Juniors La Bombonera stadium looked similar in FM21 (apart from the flat stand side). I'd imagine it's still the same in FM23

The Stadiums of Football Manager 2021 Edition - Football Manager General  Discussion - Sports Interactive Community

The flat stand would make the playing on this stadium so immersive!

Could anyone from SI provide detailed info where is the crossing line in the likeness of the stadium and why they are so different from the real ones in the last editions of FM? Is it really only the licencing issue? And is there any chance we'll get stadium editor in the future?

I'd love a stadium editor!  I appreciate licensing issues, but if stadiums were created 'unofficially' by gamers/modders , rather than SI, then there's no legal issue surely?  It's a case of whether SI would be liable should they provide a stadium editor program for public use I suppose.

I don't get the licensing argument. Don't they have more than a dozen of licensed leagues and a number of individual club licences, are stadiums not included in those licences?

I am sure if they wanted to create stadiums they could do it

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/football-manager-2023-licences

Edited by renaldasuk

It's not a licensing issue, they could make some effort if they chose to, to at east make them similar enough but avoid any legal issues.  They sinply don't, in fact, they are worse than they used to be.

My only hope at this stage of FM's life is that with all the graphical and match engine changes required for adding the women's game, we'll actually get a brand new game completely, new ME and graphics.  I'll not hold my breath though.

16 hours ago, renaldasuk said:

I don't get the licensing argument. Don't they have more than a dozen of licensed leagues and a number of individual club licences, are stadiums not included in those licences?

I am sure if they wanted to create stadiums they could do it

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/football-manager-2023-licences

They didn't pay extra for licensed stadia...

6 hours ago, forameuss said:

Love the confidence in "it isn't licensing" when we live in a world where you have to pay extra if you want to use the real ordering of fixtures in the Premier League.

I love the confidence in people who don't know licensing and copyright laws and what is and isn't acceptable regarding fair use, similarities and the law  ;)  Not asking for a recreation (illegal if rights are owned), similar is perfectly fine, even to a point so is recogniseable.

Edited by Maviarab

15 minutes ago, Maviarab said:

I love the confidence in people who don't know licensing and copyright laws and what is and isn't acceptable regarding fair use, similarities and the law  ;)  Not asking for a recreation (illegal if rights are owned), similar is perfectly fine, even to a point so is recogniseable.

You've caught them then clearly.  The reason clearly can't be licensing when there are clear cases where some stadiums have some resemblance to their real life counterparts, but not enough to clearly identify them, in a game that is unashamedly around modelling the real football world.  If only they had someone who "knew licensing and copyright laws" in the office and things would have been so much different.

1 hour ago, Maviarab said:

similar is perfectly fine, even to a point so is recogniseable.

Just having the player walkout in the corner to match the IRL stadium (even if the rest of the stadium doesn't look similar) could be a licensing issue, so it's a very tricky area. You have to be very careful with player and stadium likenesses.

15 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Just having the player walkout in the corner to match the IRL stadium (even if the rest of the stadium doesn't look similar) could be a licensing issue, so it's a very tricky area. You have to be very careful with player and stadium likenesses.

Do you have any information wheter the stadium licences would take a major part in overall budget for the licences at SI? I suppose they paid a lot of money for UEFA licences this year, yet the stadium likeness would bring so much immersion to the game.

3 minutes ago, Ghost77 said:

Do you have any information wheter the stadium licences would take a major part in overall budget for the licences at SI? I suppose they paid a lot of money for UEFA licences this year, yet the stadium likeness would bring so much immersion to the game.

Unfortunately, I don't. I don't think that's public information either.

It's not just the cost of the licences, but then also the cost of modeling the real world stadiums and then the cost of creating it in-game. Personally, I don't think it's worth spending the money to do that (not yet, anyway) but rather to use it to upgrade the look of stadiums in general.

5 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It's not just the cost of the licences, but then also the cost of modeling the real world stadiums and then the cost of creating it in-game. Personally, I don't think it's worth spending the money to do that (not yet, anyway) but rather to use it to upgrade the look of stadiums in general.

I see your point. On the other hand I clearly remember that a few years back (not sure which FM was it, maybe around FM15) the stadiums looked really similar to the real ones. So there were real models already done. At least in the major European leagues.

5 minutes ago, Ghost77 said:

I see your point. On the other hand I clearly remember that a few years back (not sure which FM was it, maybe around FM15) the stadiums looked really similar to the real ones. So there were real models already done. At least in the major European leagues.

I'm sure you're correct. I can't remember what I ate yesterday. Image rights and licencing are a lot stricter these days though. Ask Zebre, Parthenope and Manchester UFC. :D

Is there not even the option to stick an athletics track or 'dead areas', for example, round pitches that have them IRL to at least add a bit of likeness to those relevant clubs? Rather than every ground having close up stands? Plus the option of the non-league-types with more railings than stands etc.

My thought in the past has been to have certain types of stadium numbered, for example 'Wembley-type' - 1, Athletics track - 2, Open-ended ground - 10, Basic non-league - 14 etc etc. That list could be readily available in the communities or whatever for reference.

Those can then be applied on the stadium page in the editor/database to identify what kind of ground it is, with the 20/30 different types or whatever designed by SI and applied accordingly as I guess they are now in some ways. Probably only needs two or three new ones doing.

This may not be possible but it would also be open to allow people to change what type of stadium they start with if they wanted to, just like you could now by changing capacity or whatever.

I think, and I don't know this, the decision not to make the stadiums look too similar to their real-life counterparts is to avoid any legal issues that may arise around licencing and bearing an accurate likeness. 

My guess is the stadiums are randomly generated created and are deliberately pretty vague for this reason, rather than SI just not being bothered or interested about stadium appearance. 

6 hours ago, BamBamBam said:

Didn't i see a stadium editor somewhere in this forum?

No.  There is a post here and other places that shows you how to edit stadiums (to some small extent) using the pre game editor but what you can do is incredibly limited.

On 01/03/2023 at 10:12, HUNT3R said:

Frankly I'd rather they put even less effort into the stadia and simply made them a big blurry mass with a bland generic design, which would be better than lots of detailed models of deckchairs and apartment blocks in the corner of stands