Keepers hoofing when I think I'm asking to play short.

In terms of game management I've been trying for the last few issues of FM to get my keepers to occasionally play short. However, when I assume I'm doing everything I can do to make the keeper to play short a lot of the times he doesn't and hoofs the ball more often then not,

Some of the tactics I employ into my "game management" system are:

'Much Shorter Passing'   'Play out of Defence'    'Be More Disciplined'    'Roll it Out'    'Distribute to Centre-Backs'    'Slow Pace Down' and 'Lower Defensive Line' 

These aren't the exclusive tactics I use particularly and I do not have any 'Individual Instructions' on my keepers other than 'Ease off Tackles' which I have on every player in "game management" system to avoid any unnecessary freekicks in awkward areas - not that this works 100% of the time.

I play a 'Sweeper Keeper' role, are there any individual instructions I should add on my keeper to force him to play the way I want at these times?

I have done a vague search in the forum for any hints on this but I received no feedback from the search function.  

If there is no short pass option available then he will hoof it.

Whether there is such an option depends on his judgement.

This includes the risk setting you have set for the team e.g. Attacking, positive, balanced, cautious, defensive.

Positive/ Attacking means he takes more risks. So if the defender the goalkeeper wants to pass to has a marker nearby, he might still try to pass to him anyway.

If the setting is cautious / defensive though, he is less likely to try a pass and will hoof instead.

Edited by 2feet

Ah, apologies.

It was silly of me to not add my mentality - it is set as cautious...:rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, 2feet said:

This includes the risk setting you have set for the team e.g. Attacking, positive, balanced, cautious, defensive.

Positive/ Attacking means he takes more risks. So if the defender the goalkeeper wants to pass to has a marker nearby, he might still try to pass to him anyway.

If the setting is cautious / defensive though, he is less likely to try a pass and will hoof instead.

Welp, I just added 'Take Fewer Risks' to his individual instructions - maybe this'll help ;) 

Edited by SOULjah

First of all, you stack a whole ton of passing range reducing instructions, which severely limits the options your goalie has. The fewer options he has, the more likely none of the options are good (in his opinion), so the more likely it is for him to hoof the ball up field.

Second, as pointed out, you play with low risk (and then lowered risk even further?) which means that the goalie wants to get rid of the ball. The least risky option is to simply hoof it up field and get the ball as far away from your goal as possible. From the looks of your instructions you want to sit deep and play possession in your defense, which is an incredibly risky tactic since if you lose the ball the opposition will immediately be close to your goal (and defenders generally aren't the most comfortable on the ball in the first place). That's a set of heavily contradicting instructions, as the lowest risk option is to hoof the ball up field. The first priority of a low risk mentality is to get the ball away from your goal, while holding possession is what you do when you have the ball further up the field. The lower the risk the more direct your defense tends to be and the shorter/saver passing your offense will use. Vice versa, higher risk mentalities will apply shorter passing in defense to build up and then go for risky passes in the final third, that are more likely to result in possession loss, but can unlock a defense if they're successful. If you want to play a defensive possession based game you need to set your team up in a way where the mentality is not so low that defenders will just hoof it up field, but at the same time your midfield mentality isn't too high so they keep possession in the midfield area.

Third, you're playing a sweeper keeper, which naturally is allowed a bit more creative freedom than your regular goalkeeper. So, if he sees a counter attack option he is very likely to go for it, regardless of your instructions.

Thanks for the clarifications, it actually means now I will not be so wound up about my keeper hoofing the ball as it all makes a little sense now.

I do not use this "game management" system too much in matches just in certain situations and as I also said the tactics aren't the exclusive tactics I use.

I'm going to have a lot cooler head in the hoofing situations now as my "game management" system rarely lets me down, there have only been a hand full of times it has let me down - but that's football, eh?

in addition to the other great advice above—watch your roles and duties, particularly in the back line. if you’re playing with aggressive wingbacks who push on or defensive midfielders who aren’t contributing to the early phases of play, the gk naturally has fewer options to play it short to.