What are "manager points"?

I smashed the league, breaking nearly every record and outpacing this guy's club by 20 pts in the process. So it appears the only metric he's beaten me by, and it must be the only one that matters when deciding the award, is this ambiguous "manager points" number. Any idea what that means?

image.thumb.png.879a7916aca49ac944ca09522974c6d1.png

Without knowing more details, it's difficult to say. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that VPS were predicted to run away with the league and FF Jaro have significantly overachieved their predicted position. I don't know the league details so say it's a 20 team league, VPS are predicted to finish 1st and FF Jaro say 15th. But at the end of the season, VPS did finish top and FF Jaro finished say 3rd. The FF Jaro manager would appear to have done a significantly better job. 

6 hours ago, thomas166 said:

Without knowing more details, it's difficult to say. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that VPS were predicted to run away with the league and FF Jaro have significantly overachieved their predicted position. I don't know the league details so say it's a 20 team league, VPS are predicted to finish 1st and FF Jaro say 15th. But at the end of the season, VPS did finish top and FF Jaro finished say 3rd. The FF Jaro manager would appear to have done a significantly better job. 

4 hours ago, du Garbandier said:

I think Manager of the month/season varies from country to country. It isn't the guy who finished first, necessarily, in several leagues. Also, in some it's voted on by all the managers. 

Good points by both.

We did not vote on it in this league. And IIRC we were predicted to finish first and they were predicted to finish second, which is exactly what happened.

However, it's tricky, because we were only predicted to finish first AFTER I worked magic in the transfer market and overhauled the entire team. The team I inherited at the end of the prior season was not predicted to finish first.

So it seems perhaps that I some how made my own team so good with my work in the transfer market that it undercut the work I did on the pitch? Still feels like an extreme overcorrection if so.

Does anyone know definitively how manager points are calculated?

• 8 months later...
On 07/02/2023 at 16:53, Weston said:

Good points by both.

We did not vote on it in this league. And IIRC we were predicted to finish first and they were predicted to finish second, which is exactly what happened.

However, it's tricky, because we were only predicted to finish first AFTER I worked magic in the transfer market and overhauled the entire team. The team I inherited at the end of the prior season was not predicted to finish first.

So it seems perhaps that I some how made my own team so good with my work in the transfer market that it undercut the work I did on the pitch? Still feels like an extreme overcorrection if so.

Does anyone know definitively how manager points are calculated?

Did you ever find out? I googled because just had something similar happen..

3rdplace.thumb.png.6c8439baa4b3dc887f45a8826ba3eb81.png

• Administrators

If you're going on holiday for matches, you don't get manager points. Your assistant gets them instead.

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If you're going on holiday for matches, you don't get manager points. Your assistant gets them instead.

Played every single game myself, didn’t do any media stuff though. Went on holiday once during an international break

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Played every single game myself, didn’t do any media stuff though. Went on holiday once during an international break

In that case, is most likely your pre season expectations being higher than the others. 

I've noticed that managers of smaller clubs get more points than managers of major clubs for the same achievement within the same division. That's only fair, as they are making more with less...

Edited by phd_angel

48 minutes ago, Lucas said:

In that case, is most likely your pre season expectations being higher than the others. 

Which is interesting because the Salzburg manager has won the past however many awards. But sure if the other team had a crazy good season, but they are 6000 points ahead of me, which seems like a huge amount. 

On 03/11/2023 at 16:24, Lucas said:

I, too, played every game myself.

On 03/11/2023 at 16:30, Lucas said:

This, I think, has to be it, though the way it's calculated is very misleading. When I take over a club, they're usually not predicted to finish top. But then I work some magic in the transfer market and drastically improve the side, causing my predicted place to improve. The game should look at the prediction when I took over, not the prediction in place when I finish.

On 03/11/2023 at 17:22, craiigman said:

Which is interesting because the Salzburg manager has won the past however many awards. But sure if the other team had a crazy good season, but they are 6000 points ahead of me, which seems like a huge amount. 

And this is another good point - it seems the prediction vs outcome metric is too heavily weighted. Sure, it should factor in, but even if I was predicted to finish first, I smashed every record in the league, while the guy predicted to finish 2nd just finished 2nd in a routine way. Surely I still went far more above and beyond my predicted outcome than the other guy who simply met expectations.