[FM23] Give the kids in Folkestone a chance at glory

XaW

Youth intake 2026

jTUxGGx.png

An excellent intake for us! 4 very talented players, and a few more worth keeping an eye out for! Seems like the improved youth coaching and recruitment has started to pay off.

Best prospects

VwGwbJU.png

A very promising player, but I'm not really sure where to use him. His physical attributes are not quite there, but he is a really smart and technical player. Maybe try to use him as a playmaker of sorts.

cQUNHHN.png

Younes is a very promising attacking player. I'm not sure where I will focus his development yet, but I think he would be a very nice inside forward for us.

a4NDJK5.png

I really like the look of Lennie, mostly because we really need a central defender, and that is his best game.

dPy0tbm.png

Fyn is quite similar to Jack, and I don't quite know how to best use him. I very rarely get intelligent players at this level, so I hadn't anticipated this.

Nationality spread

zJZy2GJ.png

Maps

3YNmJOH.png

earIRcF.png

Positional spreadsheet

tYm3G8T.png

The curious case of retraining

One thing that sticks out on the spreadsheet which may not have been obvious, is that Horatio Powers 26d is a prime candidate for retraining to central midfielder. So is he? Let's take a look.

zV4qM5n.png

Now, remember that we are at quite the low level here, so keep that in mind for this explanation. Horatio is a full back positionally, but looking at his stats, I'd say he wouldn't exactly make a great one, mainly due to his lack of speed. However, he is fairly solid defensively, but he has some key attributes for a more central role. His Aggression, Bravery, and Teamwork are all top tier, he also has a good work rate, tackling, and even passing. So he works well, sticks his body in where it hurts, and can win the ball and pass it to someone more proficient with it. Seems like a ball winning midfielder to me! Of course, the mental attributes has a big effect on the rating, but it does open a possibility that is not obvious unless you study the player for quite a while and take a lot of possibilities into account. I often just think about this for a while, but in his case I think I'll start to retrain him to the centre of the pitch immediately.

March 2026

F3gFjaC.png

We keep up the "a good match, but narrow loss/draw" type of matches we've done a lot lately. The intake can just after the final game, but I suspect a few of the new ones will see match time next month.

yK42V99.png

Things just got a lot more hairy after that poor month. Now we are only 2 points ahead of the relegation zone! This run in will be a bit too exciting...

April 2026

FU5BQMS.png

We finally got a few wins again, too long since the last one. The new youths have also started to play for us, and two of them have already scored for us.

VfEofW4.png

Well, we are mathematically safe from relegation! With only one game left, King's Lynn can't overtake us anymore. Still want to finish ahead of Bath, if I can.

May 2026

WFwzveL.png

We ended on a high, with a strong away win over Oldham where young Younes scored the only goal.

aDhBqhC.png

So we ended on a very respectable 18th place in our first season at this level. I saw a clear improvement after the intake happened, so I hope we can stay up again next season. Season summery coming up soon.

Season summary 2025/26

image.png.2281192b13e85e3ecfd939f856641f6f.png

Season 2025/26 (Season 3) - Vanarama National League

kPTUueN.png

Squad | Transfers | Finances

The first season in the national league was a tough one, but we just about avoided relegation. We were down there in the swamp the entire season battling it out for each and all points we could. There are some clear issues with quality in the squad, and especially in the 2nd or 3rd choices that I hope future intakes will help out with. As it stands, I can't hope for much more than to survive at this level in the seasons to come.

I also managed to get a few more improvements accepted.

xRtgdOz.png

zoDIbJb.png

FA Cup: We beat Maidenhead United and Banbury United before we lost to Shrewsbury in the 2nd round.
FA Trophy: We beat Wealdstone and Hampton & Richmond before we lost to Fylde in the 5th round.

U18s

1oHJM0B.png

They finished 3rd in the National U18 League South East this season.

FA Youth Cup: They beat Worthing and Dartford before they lost to Hampton & Richmond in the 1st round.

Youth intake:

pTYHszX.png

jTUxGGx.png

zJZy2GJ.png

3YNmJOH.png

earIRcF.png

Trophy cabinet

Vanarama National League South - 1 (2024/25)

Player statistics:

Most apps for the clubs

Name			Nation		2nd Nation	Apps
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gregor Borg 24a		England		<N/A>		98
Baden Ardley 24g	England		<N/A>		77
Frannie Stratton 24f	England		<N/A>		68
Jaud Kasongo 25d	England		DR Congo	52
Jens Ewald 24m		Germany		England		48

Most goals for the club

Name			Nation		2nd Nation	Goals
Frannie Stratton 24f	England		<N/A>		8
Tyler Mendes 24c	Montserrat	England		4
Baden Ardley 24g	England		<N/A>		3
Jaud Kasongo 25d	England		DR Congo	3
David Jackson 25f	England		<N/A>		3

Most assists for the club

Name			Nation		2nd Nation	Assists
Craig Martin 25b	England		Ireland		14
Frannie Stratton 24f	England		<N/A>		9
Lorne Strevett 25c	England		<N/A>		7
Gregor Borg 24a		England		<N/A>		5
Jaud Kasongo 25d	England		DR Congo	5

Supporters:

fzj6WqA.png

Summary:

jPoK501.png

Preseason 2026

n8NlQnz.png

The friendlies went quite well, even if the opposition was rather limited. Still, the win over Watford U21s was quite good as they have some real talents there.

Here is the presentation of my expected first 11, but it is subject to change as always.

Goalkeeper - Bailey Vose

7F2L9gn.png

Bailey is a good goalkeeper, and while he is not spectacular, this position is not a concern for now. His physicality is impressive, and he don't have many weak points to his game. Luke Morley 26l will function as his understudy and backup.

Right back - Ian Gayle

Ctk4uT3.png

This is a problem position for me. Last season I used Gregor Borg 24a as the first choice, but I'm starting to think his potential is more limited than the coaches have since he came through. So I think Ian will be the starter for us here. I don't expect much of this role other than being a solid defender anyway, so I think he will do a decent job.

Central defenders - Callum Davies & Lennie Wiggett 26i

9Vn0OyG.png

4FQMHiM.png

While Callum is more than twice the age of Lennie, I've paired them up because they are the best defenders I have. I hope Callum can provide the experience that Lennie lacks, and that they can have a solid defensive partnership. Neither of them have much speed, but no one else in my squad has either, so it's not an issue I can fix at the moment. The closest challenger is Gregor Cashman 26f.

Left back - Lorne Strevett 25c

IWPGVcu.png

Lorne is the star of the team and still only 16. His only drawback is his lack of pace, but it hasn't seemed to impact him too much. The first player on the team for each match he is fit.

Defensive midfielder - Andrew Demby

SS2TOYM.png

Andrew does a good job in the role, but he is not spectacular. I'd like to have a better player there if possible, but the closest one so far is Kevin Brennan 26e and I don't think he will cut it.

Central midfielders - Jaud Kasongo 25d & Craig Martin 25b

1JLVm7a.png

kvx1XNB.png

First of all, yes, I know neither of them are ball winners, and I would really like if one of the where. However, they are clearly the two best midfielders we have, so we have to cope. Jack Brown 26g fits into the same mold (after I started to retrain him from an AM, since I don't use that role). There is a possibility Horatio Powers 26d can fit the ball winner role if he develops well as a midfielder though.

Right winger - Ibrahim Olutade

KT9XE0R.png

Ibrahim is not the best player, and he is one I want to replace. However, I want a right footed player here, and most of the good attacking youngsters are left footed for some reason.

Left winger - Fyn Bulpitt 26j

F2ZkPG7.png

I've gone back and forth a lot on who will be my first choice here as I have good options, but Fyn has had an amazing development the last few months, so I'll give him the shot from the start. However, both Noah McGrath 26a and Younes Bessal 26h are players that can fit in here if Fyn struggles.

Striker - Adeoye Yusuff

zhzG8I2.png

Adeoye is still the main man up top. His scoring for us has been amazing, and I see no need to change as long as he keeps it going. I am glad we have options now though.

So there we have it, the people I hope will be able to keep us up yet again. As usual we are predicted dead last by a mile, and I don't expect this to be easy. Our odds are improving though as it was 801 last season.

Ldbk4oH.png

August 2026

G9qavZH.png

Well, can't complain about that start to a season! Looks like we turned the narrow losses and draws into wins. Now, a few of those were quite unserved, like the win over Oldham, but I'm very happy with it!

2JvIrBn.png

i5rZri9.png

So we are 2nd, and our only loss is away to the top team. I wouldn't though it possible, but I'm very happy with the start. I fully expect us to drop off soon enough, but the points picked up now will help a lot come the end of the season.

September 2026

NtWps0D.png

I'm very happy with the results this month, even if we should not have lost to Yeovil.

sooaeiH.png

We are still far above where I expect us to end this season, but I'm very happy with how this season has gone so far. Next season is when the fixture congestion starts, so I think the next month will show how we do this season.

October 2026

d8zOdN7.png

A really tough month for us with loads of matches. I had to really start playing backups after a while and it caused the results to take a hit. Whenever we play with the main guys we do well, but as soon as we get some people out or tired we start to struggle. We are also through in the FA Cup after a replay at least.

0eks1Je.png

We are still up in the playoff spots, but have dropped a bit recently. Still, the goal is only to avoid relegation, so things are looking good for us.

First Youth call up

kj2GBrN.png

Really happy for him, but I think it will help him feel he's outgrown the club soon. He already don't want to talk about a new contract.

November 2026

6pzckut.png

A very tough month for us, but it was to be expected. Lots of the players are struggling with fatigue now, so I have to heavily rotate. At least we finished strong with a win. We are also through in the FA Cup still.

0kovtr0.png

Unsurprisingly, we dropped quite a bit this month. We just need to pick up some more points to avoid dropping down into the relegation struggle.

Frannie Stratton 24f leaves

VpOoY15.png

w0STUiq.png

The first player who had any significant impact are now leaving us. He was more a player of necessity rather than because he was ever good enough.

He played 68 apps for us where he scored 10 goals and had 9 assists in all tournaments.

xRlFp7c.png

We wish him well at St Neots Town down below the visible leagues.

Youth intake preview 2026

oxAr46I.png

Pretty good, can't complain. Now I just hope that the best ones are a right back, a DM, and a right winger. These are the positions I need the most currently.

December 2026

wQTK1nk.png

At least we finished the year a bit stronger. We got past Barnet in the FA Cup, and will face Leeds at home in the next round. Hopefully we can garner some cash from it. Torquay knocked us out of the FA Trophy though, so a short run there this time. A couple of wins the league steadies the ship a bit after a few hard months.

3spafCB.png

If you had offered me this spot at the turn of the year before the season, I'd have bitten you hand off. We are in a very good spot to secure another season at this level, half way.

Club improvement

xAZPo3e.png

I keep on pestering about any and all upgrades I can get, and finally one more got approved.

And a short while later, they approved one more.

DUxmAgb.png

January 2027

PoXHGna.png

A pretty good month for us, even with with 5 goals conceded against Eastleigh. We lost to Leeds, and got knocked out, but we held them to a single goal, even if they dominated the match. I was elated when we drew a strong Yeovil side with an overtime goal, so spirits are high.

aIpURNP.png

We are very comfortable in mid-table this season, and I hope we keep it up.

6 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

How much £ did you get from the Leeds match? That's what matters most in the FA Cup at this level.

I got £72k for it being on TV, and the gate receipts was a record at almost £100k. Would probably be much more if I could face them away, but almost £200k is very nice indeed!

February 2027

5CGFaSX.png

We're struggling a bit defensively this month, but at least our goal scoring is quite good to compensate a bit. Only one win though, and I had hoped we would beat a struggling Gillingham side.

H6rfd0G.png

More of the same this month, as we continue to stay around the midfield of the table.

Youth intake 2027

XECjtfH.png

Looks like we got a very nice intake. Not a talented DM in sight, but at least there are right footed wingers and a couple who can play right back!

Best prospects

DljNEMg.png

Tegan is a right winger and is exactly what I need. Excellent player to get.

8EUmCS3.png

Richard is like Tegan, but more extreme in certain attributes and less rounded.

sARYzXU.png

Very happy to see a good backup at left back. Not an excellent player, but certainly a nice talent to have around.

E769JNz.png

Centrebacks are not something I have too many of, so I'm very happy with Jak. No chance he will play wide roles though.

BDZWT2w.png

Mark is exactly the kind of player I want to play at right back. Strong defensively and with good physicals. He will probably be first choice already.

Nationality spread

7E2o7Oz.png

Maps

qvnUqIA.png

zieJhQQ.png

Positional spreadsheet

9eu7T6H.png

March 2027

DE20pjr.png

A very good month for us! Some strong wins, and only a single loss away to a very good Bromley side.

G4abwOJ.png

I'm feeling pretty secure we will stay in mid-table this season, and it looks to be what I consider a good season for us.

April 2027

szbCeMw.png

We are good at home, but horrible away it seems. At least we continue picking up points, even with the two horrible losses.

jLwoIG7.png

Seems we are going to finish around here were we are now. And it's a pretty good season for us, I'd say.

May 2027

oaaRSyx.png

Just the final game and we won it nicely over an already relegated Telford side. A nice way to end a nice season.

39hzEON.png

So we finish 9th, a very good position for us, and surprisingly close to the playoff spots. Think this was a bit overachieving season, so I don't expect anything like it next season though. Season summary coming up soon.

Season summary 2026/27

image.png.2281192b13e85e3ecfd939f856641f6f.png

Folkestone Invicta - Season 2026/27 (Season 4) - Vanarama National League

MmQqwRl.png

Squad | Transfers | Finances

Quite the season for us, as we stormed away at the start and held the lead in the league for a while. In fact, in the 13 first matches we won 9, drew 2, and lost 2! Then we hit fixture congestions and all hell broke lose. In the end though, we managed to pull ourselves together and pick up a nice amount of points to finishing a very good position. I do think we overachieved this season, so I expect us to drop a but down next season, but I still think we can avoid relegation.

I also managed to get a few more improvements accepted.

xAZPo3e.png

DUxmAgb.png

FA Cup: We had a bit of a cup run as we beat Worthing, Tamworth, and Barnet to reach the 3rd round. There we played Leeds at home and held them to a single goal. We should have been smashed, and we got really lucky to not concede more, but I'll take it.
FA Trophy: We lost to Torquay United in the 3rd round.

U18s

vU8jEBC.png

They finished 3rd in the National U18 League South East this season.

FA Youth Cup: They lost to Horsham in the 2nd qualifying round.

Youth intake:

oxAr46I.png

XECjtfH.png

7E2o7Oz.png

qvnUqIA.png

zieJhQQ.png

Trophy cabinet

Vanarama National League South - 1 (2024/25)

Player statistics:

Most apps for the clubs

Name			Nation		2nd Nation	Apps
Gregor Borg 24a		England		<N/A>		122
Jaud Kasongo 25d	England		DR Congo	89
Craig Martin 25b	England		Ireland		86
Lorne Strevett 25c	England		<N/A>		85
Baden Ardley 24g*	England		<N/A>		77

* - No longer at club

Most goals for the club

Name			Nation		2nd Nation	Goals
Frannie Stratton 24f*	England		<N/A>		10
Fyn Bulpitt 26j		England		<N/A>		10
Craig Martin 25b	England		Ireland		9
Jack Brown 26g		England		<N/A>		6
Younes Bessal 26h	Morocco		Netherlands	5

* - No longer at club

Most assists for the club

Name			Nation		2nd Nation	Assists
Craig Martin 25b	England		Ireland		23
Jaud Kasongo 25d	England		DR Congo	14
Lorne Strevett 25c	England		<N/A>		12
Frannie Stratton 24f*	England		<N/A>		9
Younes Bessal 26h	Morocco		Netherlands	7

* - No longer at club

Supporters:

VeVzJNk.png

Summary:

25cOu7t.png

Preseason 2026

cVS52Ps.png

A nice pre-season where the only loss was to Bournemouth where we didn't embarrass ourselves, and we even finally beat Dover!

Here is the presentation of my expected first 11, but it is subject to change as always.

Goalkeeper - Bailey Vose

eS1Cf6x.png

Bailey is a still good goalkeeper, but I'd really see us get in  more talented player here soon. Luke Morley 26l is still the best talent here, but I have my doubts he will be good enough.

Right back - Mark Powell 27e

c3wsTbY.png

He is very young, and that's a liability, but he is also better than any right back we've had since the start. Not very good going forward, but very nice physical attributes. We don't really have any good choices for backup here.

Central defenders - Lennie Wiggett 26i & Gregor Cashman 26f

3Zwxhk6.png

O6ykuKO.png

The back line is young, but these two are clearly the best ones we have. Nether are very quick, but it's not like anyone else is either. Callum Davies is still a decent backup, the other option is Jak Rowlands 27d

Left back - Lorne Strevett 25c

fsy7pwC.png

Lorne is a great full back for us, and unfortunately I think we might lose him as his contract is up after this season. I might sell him if I can get a good deal.

Defensive midfielder - Jaud Kasongo 25d

qzDkcVC.png

I've been retraining him to a DM to take advantage of his playmaking skills. Unfortunately, I think he is also a candidate to leave us as he won't talk new contracts. He has been capped for the youth side of DR Congo now.

Central midfielders - Craig Martin 25b & Jack Brown 26g

p66BCTZ.png

o24jPqw.png

Two very good midfielder, if somewhat unbalanced. Still, I have to use the best options we have.

Right winger - Fyn Bulpitt 26j

8SYH8zT.png

I'm going to transition into both wingers being inverted, so Fyn is begin moved over here. If I want a more traditional winger I can use Tegan Gillam 27a.

Left winger - Younes Bessal 26h

fg6D2ZA.png

An excellent choice for an inside player on the left. Expect him to pop up with a fair amount of goals. 

Striker - Adeoye Yusuff

Ltj2WHA.png

Don't see any reason to switch out Adeoye yet if he keeps his scoring up.

That's the expected first 11, but as always it's subject to change at any point.

BJXEoMU.png

We are still predicted dead last, but 501 is better than the 701 we had last season, at least!

17 minutes ago, Jtomsett11 said:

Really enjoying following this,  you keep it nice and simple which makes it easy to read and easy to remember who your players are. 

Good luck for the next season!

Thanks. :)

I try to keep it to light reading and let the pictures speak more than my ramblings, even if I do so occasionally. :D 

August 2027

mTxkHcz.png

A very good start to the new season as we are yet unbeaten. We do concede a bit much, but at least we are quite free scoring. Adeoye Yusuff shows he is still a beast!

xJ8Ew6j.png

We are in 2nd place behind York, who had 4 straight wins when we drew them in the final match of the month. So our start seems to be similar to last season, so I'll ride it as long as I can once again.

September 2027

djkXup8.png

We have an issue with conceding goals. Way too many this month, Not sure what to do about it honestly, since I am using my best players. Might need a better goalkeeper.

di0rrC6.png

Just outside the playoffs are a very good position for us. I still expect us to drop down a bit more, but I'll take it for now.

October 2027

Q0d0e7g.png

Some narrow losses at the start of the month, but we bounced back with a couple of very strong wins towards the end. We are also through in the FA Cup.

cGpPvmf.png

Still very happy with our placement here, as I still only think mid-table is a great success for us. Anything above relegation, really.

November 2027

mvdBxno.png

And we are back to conceding loads of goals. Quite the tough month for us. We also got knocked out of the FA Cup by Bristol Rovers.

0LYjoV7.png

Much the same, but the league is very close. We are only 3 points ahead of 17th, so we need to find some form again.

December 2027

3UHRf9z.png

A good month with a bad end. Some good points picked up in the league and we got through in the FA Trophy. The last game where we lost big to Torquay is partially because I had to play a lot of backups due to fatigue and we got punished for it.

YiALc63.png

We are comfortably mid-table, and everything is nice. I'm not sure if I can fix all the goals we are currently conceding without new players, so I'm tempted to just go with it and use the "let's score more than you" tactic...

Selling a great player

MekrIM4.png

His contract it up at the end of the season, so I would lose him anyway. At least now I can keep him and still get some money as well as a very good sell-on percentage.

sU6xXvL.png

I really don't want to see him leave, but he has refused to talk contract, so I don't have much choice in the matter.

19 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

Kasongo has superb mentals for this level. I always sneak in a future % clause too, hope it works out for a couple of your sales. It's always great to receive €5m out of nowhere.

Yeah, I really didn't want to sell him, but the option was to let me go for free, so my hand was forced. He is a really good player at this level, and I hope he sells for millions later!

January 2028

ehvZnUZ.png

A tough month, but at least we got past Tamworth in the FA Trophy. We are struggling with fatigue now and the backups are quite a drop off in quality.

VnZQQFu.png

Still mid-table, and that's fine, I'd say.

February 2028

FBHvrVI.png

Quite a poor month from us, but we had a small upturn again at the end. We also managed to, very luckily, beat Oldham in the FA Trophy to continue the cup run.

3iMpp36.png

We've started to drop down a bit now, and we need to keep picking up points to avoid getting stuck in a battle for survival.