The worst ever start in the premier league?

Hey people, got Blackburn promoted to the prem in FM22 and having an absolute nightmare.

image.png.3dc2a7a1c71ede7275add3b58f08c82a.png

image.png.fa9d742de3e5cb6159eafd15fb2192b7.png

image.png.05a10b7b092fbb0b3c1b79e9e6ea4c1f.png

Tactic 1:

I varied this in many ways trying to get a win but ended up with something like this:

• Tried Cautious, Balanced and Positive when I thought appropriate.
  • Varied the directness and tempo of passing
  • Sometimes enabled "Force Opposition Outside" and varied Pressing intensity depending on what I saw in games.

image.png.d49124ea260a2548bee11843f0224af1.png

Tactic 2:

Same as above with how I varied mentality and instructions.

image.png.b656e3d8e8e16c25b579dff9a2a81820.png

Can anyone give any tips here? I'm obviously not very competitive financially but my tactics don't seem very unbalanced to me so I'm struggling to understand how I'm overseeing the worst ever premier league start :D.

Edited by rapidestimator

• rapidestimator changed the title to The worst ever start in the premier league?
33 minutes ago, rapidestimator said:

Hey people, got Blackburn promoted to the prem in FM22 and having an absolute nightmare.

image.png.3dc2a7a1c71ede7275add3b58f08c82a.png

image.png.fa9d742de3e5cb6159eafd15fb2192b7.png

image.png.05a10b7b092fbb0b3c1b79e9e6ea4c1f.png

Tactic 1:

I varied this in many ways trying to get a win but ended up with something like this:

• Tried Cautious, Balanced and Positive when I thought appropriate.
  • Varied the directness and tempo of passing
  • Sometimes enabled "Force Opposition Outside" and varied Pressing intensity depending on what I saw in games.

image.png.d49124ea260a2548bee11843f0224af1.png

Tactic 2:

Same as above with how I varied mentality and instructions.

image.png.b656e3d8e8e16c25b579dff9a2a81820.png

Can anyone give any tips here? I'm obviously not very competitive financially but my tactics don't seem very unbalanced to me so I'm struggling to understand how I'm overseeing the worst ever premier league start :D.

Staying up is tricky. Ben Diaz at blackburn is a superstar though but he's wasted as a DLF. Use him as a AF and he can singlehandedly get you the goals to stay up.

Other than that the big thing will be moral, get it up to perfect every game and youre in with a chance.

Edited by Cloud9

On 05/02/2023 at 17:20, Cloud9 said:

Staying up is tricky. Ben Diaz at blackburn is a superstar though but he's wasted as a DLF. Use him as a AF and he can singlehandedly get you the goals to stay up.

Other than that the big thing will be moral, get it up to perfect every game and youre in with a chance.

Thanks will give this a go! Reason I didn't play him at AF is because his finishing and off the ball isn't great and he's got the Comes Deep PPM but it can't get any worse :).

2 minutes ago, rapidestimator said:

Hey thanks will try use a more attacking mentality. I had this thought about fm23 as well - is it easier to keep teams up as defensive playstyles are more effective?

I can't really say from experience really, I prefer playing at the Balanced/Positive end of the mentality scale regardless if we're favourites to win the league or go down

In FM22, I always felt playing defensive/cautious as a weaker team was asking for trouble and you were better off going on the front foot

In FM23 some mentality changes were made so that defensive/cautious mentalities weren't quite as timid so they probably are a bit more viable for an underdog now 

1 hour ago, rapidestimator said:

Thanks will give this a go! Reason I didn't play him at AF is because his finishing and off the ball isn't great and he's got the Comes Deep PPM but it can't get any worse :).

Oo, yea I'd try to get that trait off him as soon as possible. If you can't, he's still got "move into channels" and an incredible engine/work rate so it's not the end of the world. 

Unfortunately he's got no passing/vision/flair and really poor decision making so playing as a playmaking forward will be difficult for him to execute. As an attacking forward he's got the holy trinity of dribbling, first touch and finishing but its his incredible physical profile (ie, strength, speed, and jumping reach) which make him an absolute wrecking ball. Most defenders can't close him down, can't give him space, can't bully him, he can score in the air and run in behind. That specific well rounded physical profile is what separates the wheat from the chaff in AFs in my experience. 

His mentals do leave a bit to be desired but they're decent enough for him to finish his chances more times than not. If he had great off the ball as well he'd be an elite level striker. 

Side note: He's also "fairly professional" (one of the best personalities) and is in the green in terms of consistency which is a combination that can't be understated for your main goal scorer. 

Edited by Cloud9