Football Manager 2023 is now Steam Deck Verified

• Administrators

We’re delighted to announce that Football Manager 2023 has been Verified for Steam Deck compatibility.

With Steam Deck you have the power of a PC in your hands, allowing for gaming on the go. You can take your Football Manager career on your travels, either with a brand-new save game or by taking advantage of Steam’s cloud saving compatibility with an existing save game from your home system.  

Football Manager 2023 is now Steam Deck Verified

If you already have Football Manager 2023 in your Steam library, it’ll be there ready for you to download and install* when logged into your account via the Steam Deck. 

If you’ve got a Steam Deck and wish to buy FM23, just click the Steam button to bring up the menu and go to Store to bring up the regular Steam storefront, where you can add to cart and complete the purchase. 

For any questions about running the game via Steam Deck, please visit our dedicated FAQ for further information. 

*The game’s first-time setup requires an active internet connection 

So... does this mean it'll stop crashing when browsing for new players to sign when on the Steam Deck? I logged it as a bug previously and got told the Steam Deck wasn't supported and so it was closed. Can we log Steam Deck bugs now and they'll get looked into?

Love that this has happened now, btw. 

В 03.02.2023 в 19:27, Neil Brock сказал:

If you already have Football Manager 2023 in your Steam library, it’ll be there ready for you to download and install* when logged into your account via the Steam Deck. 

Is it 100% the full version as PC version? No limits for leagues and features like Mobile/Touch? 

3 hours ago, Novem9 said:

Is it 100% the full version as PC version? No limits for leagues and features like Mobile/Touch? 

It seems to be the full PC version from what I've played.  The Deck is essentially a pocket PC anyway. :)  I can't comment on leagues alas as I only have max of about 5 when I play anyway; don't expect anything wild but you should still be able to have a few active.

7 минут назад, MorrisseyMuse сказал:

It seems to be the full PC version from what I've played.  The Deck is essentially a pocket PC anyway. :)  I can't comment on leagues alas as I only have max of about 5 when I play anyway; don't expect anything wild but you should still be able to have a few active.

Usually I play with 7 countries, 14-16 leagues and advanced database (65-70k db in first season), I just want to clarify about Steam Deck Edition. Apparently it's really the same version, I just want to be sure :) 

Does anyone have extensive experience (which at this point means a couple of seasons I guess) playing FM on the steam deck? How smooth does it run with, say, 3 nations and about 7 leagues? 

I'm looking into buying the Deck, but FM would be my main driver - if this isn't worth it, the Deck isn't.

Also: anyone have any ideas on how futureproof the Deck is regarding FM?

On 13/02/2023 at 08:29, jens_dewit said:

Does anyone have extensive experience (which at this point means a couple of seasons I guess) playing FM on the steam deck? How smooth does it run with, say, 3 nations and about 7 leagues? 

I'm looking into buying the Deck, but FM would be my main driver - if this isn't worth it, the Deck isn't.

Also: anyone have any ideas on how futureproof the Deck is regarding FM?

I run about 12/14 nations and multiple leagues runs fine - Database of about 120k players you'll be fine with 3 nations 

4 hours ago, Wayne wonder said:

I run about 12/14 nations and multiple leagues runs fine - Database of about 120k players you'll be fine with 3 nations 

Sounds great, thanks for the answer. How futureproof do you estimate the steam deck will be? Will it still be able to do that in say 3/4 years' time?

Which one did you get? I'm really tempted but I'm wondering if I'd need the step up to the middle version for more storage... but thinking the 64GB one would do if It's mainly just for FM/HP legacy...

14 hours ago, jens_dewit said:

Sounds great, thanks for the answer. How futureproof do you estimate the steam deck will be? Will it still be able to do that in say 3/4 years' time?

Which one did you get? I'm really tempted but I'm wondering if I'd need the step up to the middle version for more storage... but thinking the 64GB one would do if It's mainly just for FM/HP legacy...

They've sold over a million already so i suspect it'll be fine for 2 years or so unless they do a refresh of the model maybe but you never know!

I got the 64gb base one and got a 256gb card and installed that for £30 so cost less than the middle specc'd one all in all! Get the 64gb and just get a sd card thats what i did originally 

5 hours ago, Wayne wonder said:

Did you close the game down straight after saving? if so you have to wait a few mins for the cloud sync to do its thing otherwise it screws up

no i saved the game last night, although when i do try load just after saving i do get the warning that its not updated yet but still no saves show for me 

On 15/02/2023 at 10:56, Wayne wonder said:

They've sold over a million already so i suspect it'll be fine for 2 years or so unless they do a refresh of the model maybe but you never know!

I got the 64gb base one and got a 256gb card and installed that for £30 so cost less than the middle specc'd one all in all! Get the 64gb and just get a sd card thats what i did originally 

can you send me link of the ssd you got. I'm considering getting the steam deck and this is definitely the way to go but I can't find any ssd at that price on amazon at the moment 

45 minutes ago, scotty-corkcityfc said:

Got mine yesterday purely for FM and it's beautiful. I'm using the right pad for mouse cursor with the top right trigger to click and top left is my space-bar to continue etc. It's flawless and I love it

I'm finding the right pad as a mouse is still a bit.. finnicky? The left pad is a mystery to me... No idea how to properly make use of that one :D 

23 hours ago, scotty-corkcityfc said:

Think I have it as a scroll button. Haven't figured out how to do a back button yet

I took some time last night to figure this out for myself and I now use the right track pad for mouse navigating and left clicks (with R2 as back-up left click). I set up the left pad for 'swipes' with continuous mode (not sure if that's the translation, my Deck is in Dutch). It means that if I swipe up or down, it keeps scrolling until I let go, which is essentially how the scroll function should work. But the scroll function didn't work at all; luckily this does. 

Also set up left swipes on the left pad to go back, right swipes to go forward and the 'a' button as space bar (continue). Seems to be all I really need. Might look into some shortcuts next for things like squad page and tactics.

How many active leagues do you guys have in your saves and how fast is it. Mine will be arriving this week or early next week and although I’ll mostly be streaming the game through steam link I need to know if it will be able to handle my save when I’m out because I have all leagues loaded some are View only but most of them are fully loaded 

56 minutes ago, DarJ said:

How many active leagues do you guys have in your saves and how fast is it. Mine will be arriving this week or early next week and although I’ll mostly be streaming the game through steam link I need to know if it will be able to handle my save when I’m out because I have all leagues loaded some are View only but most of them are fully loaded 

My game is based on Laptop first and foremost, I use Steam Deck for on the go. Currently my Reims save has 9 Leagues loaded with all divisions and 180,000 players (Basially all divisions in Europe, South America and other major nations in Africa, Asia and North America. Runs fine. Not as quick as my laptop but for on the go its great

Once the update drops Ill be doing my new Cork City save.

Same idea the top 7 nations in Europe, Brazil and Argentina plus Ireland. Ill load the 180k players aswell. No registration or foreigner rules so thats the reason behind it

Edited by scotty-corkcityfc

1 hour ago, Gangor said:

The Steam Deck is fantastic for travel, especially as you can often plug it in on long flights these days. I haven't been able to load an alternative skin though. 

It should be possible. Have you found the folder where the game is installed?

Yeah, adding logos & graphics is essentially the same process as a PC, just in a different location on the linux directory.

I've had zero crashes running FM23 so they've resolved something as FM 21/22 crashed frequently.

Just to clarify a comment near the start of this thread: This isn't a 'Steam Deck edition', it's the full PC version.

• 2 weeks later...

yes it is possible 

if whatever game you are trying to play is available on steam all you have to do is open steam on your computer, click on play, if your steam deck is logged in to the same steam account it will ask you if you want to stream it to your steam deck and you accept 

Tagging on here just to mention that FM23's Linux compatibility is stellar.  I switched over to Pop!_OS a few months ago and haven't missed a beat.  If anything, I think the performance on Linux is better than on MacOS.

I'm not surprised to see the Steam Deck verification here.  Proton works wonders.

47 minutes ago, BeadyRoller said:

Does FM 22 work on the steam deck without issues?

Can't imagine it won't. FM Touch 2020 works pretty much the same as FM23 I thought (only other one I tested on the deck)

Only thing I notice, especially for FM23, is that you have to be a bit patient. Rendering even one day without a game can sometimes take up to 10 seconds...

• 3 weeks later...

I've read and watched several reviews and couldn't find a single bad word on the Steam Deck, so now I seriously consider buying it instead of the new laptop. Is it really that good? I think it would be a game changer for me.

If you plug it into your smart TV does it work well too? Graphic quality on the TV is fine?

How many saves you could have there, is it unlimited? I like having multiple saves.

On 08/04/2023 at 19:09, gggfunk said:

I've read and watched several reviews and couldn't find a single bad word on the Steam Deck, so now I seriously consider buying it instead of the new laptop. Is it really that good? I think it would be a game changer for me.

If you plug it into your smart TV does it work well too? Graphic quality on the TV is fine?

How many saves you could have there, is it unlimited? I like having multiple saves.

It's graphics are perfectly adequate for FM. I have all the graphical details on. The processor is very good given the form factor - about Ryzen 3/i3 level which in a laptop would cost around the same as a Steam Deck. Since it's a PC you have the same restrictions as you would on a laptop or desktop computer. I've not tried plugging it into a TV but there's no reason why it wouldn't work just fine. You would need a dock of some kind though as it doesn't have HDMI on the device. 

One last thing to bear in mind is the OS is based on Linux so it's a bit more tricky if you want to add custom files like photo packs etc. 

21 minutes ago, Gangor said:

It's graphics are perfectly adequate for FM. I have all the graphical details on. The processor is very good given the form factor - about Ryzen 3/i3 level which in a laptop would cost around the same as a Steam Deck. Since it's a PC you have the same restrictions as you would on a laptop or desktop computer. I've not tried plugging it into a TV but there's no reason why it wouldn't work just fine. You would need a dock of some kind though as it doesn't have HDMI on the device. 

One last thing to bear in mind is the OS is based on Linux so it's a bit more tricky if you want to add custom files like photo packs etc. 

Thanks.

I've decided to buy a new laptop this time, but I'm pretty sure steam deck is the future for me and I will have it rather sooner than later.

47 minutes ago, Gangor said:

Yeah, this bears repeating and should be somewhat emphasized.

I'm running FM on Pop!_OS using a desktop right now.  It works very well.  However, it's a little bit difficult to navigate the directory structure to figure out where to stick your photo packs and other goodies.  I actually made a little video about it here, as well as another video about getting the Newgans Facepack to work here.  I also played around a little bit with the pregame editor, reporting my findings here.

Basically, Proton will install FM into a directory structure that mirrors what you would see on Windows systems.  However, you're going to have to hunt around a little bit to figure out exactly where that directory is located.  And, unfortunately, the pregame editor winds up creating its own Wine wrapper and directory structure when you install it, meaning that you've got to figure out where those directories are in order to move editor data files from one place to the next.

I was never able to get the Newgans facepack generator to work on Linux, and wound up just using the Windows version in VirtualBox and sending the XML files to myself.

Because the Steam Deck is simply a Linux computer, it will be possible for you to add in all the editor data files and other goodies that you want.  However, I'm not entirely certain how easy it is to access all of that stuff.  It would take some exploring and hunting to get everything figured out.  It should be possible, though.  I mean, running FM on Linux right now is basically the same as running FM on the Steam Deck: it uses the same operating system and the same software.

The game works extremely well on Linux, by the way.  I haven't had any problems at all, which is more than I can say for the MacOS version.  Proton has been doing a really good job.

• 8 months later...

Late post to say that FM21, which I'm playing, is superb on Linux with Proton. I'm really impressed. The only fault I can note is that it does make the GPU work harder than Windows, although overall RAM use is way down compared to Windows.

Anyone else playing on Linux?