What do YOU look for when adding a player to your squad?

Pick a position (or more than one) & name the attributes you mainly look for in that / those position(s). Or maybe there is / are attribute(s) that you look for irrespective of position. I'd like to see the minds of my fellow managers out there :)

Position: DC

Technical Attributes:

- Heading
- Marking
- Tackling

Mental Attributes:

- Anticipation
- Concentration
- Decisions
- Positioning

Physical Attributes:

- Acceleration
- Agility
- Jumping Reach
- Pace
- Stamina
- Strength

Basically, I am follow the weighting of each attribute for each position according to PGE (Pre-Game Editor).

1 hour ago, Brodie21 said:

Pick a position (or more than one) & name the attributes you mainly look for in that / those position(s). Or maybe there is / are attribute(s) that you look for irrespective of position. I'd like to see the minds of my fellow managers out there :)

A lot of the time I look for teamwork, work rate, natural fitness and stamina as well as personality type in all my players.

On 27/01/2023 at 12:26, Jonthedon26 said:

A lot of the time I look for teamwork, work rate, natural fitness and stamina as well as personality type in all my players.

100% this.  Even at top level, these are still the most important stats and hide and cover up a multitude of 'bad' stats that the player should have.

What would people really have, really?  20 in tacking, 20 in heading but 5 in work rate and 2 teamwork and a 10 in stamina?  Swap those stats, I know which player I'd pick every day of the week because the stats ultimately are just ranges and don't actually mean all that much in the great scheme of things within the mad world of FM code.

43 minutes ago, Maviarab said:

100% this.  Even at top level, these are still the most important stats and hide and cover up a multitude of 'bad' stats that the player should have.

What would people really have, really?  20 in tacking, 20 in heading but 5 in work rate and 2 teamwork and a 10 in stamina?  Swap those stats, I know which player I'd pick every day of the week because the stats ultimately are just ranges and don't actually mean all that much in the great scheme of things within the mad world of FM code.

Prefer something to have higher in weighting for each position and rest room of CA to be spend in physicals. Rather than the heavy weighted ones to eat all CA. That’s why I prefer the weighted ones to be higher😉

Work Rate, Teamwork and Stamina is required attributes that I do not compromise on. I don't really look at the other attributes as long as the player have a high PA.
As Herne pointed the hidden stats are equally important. If a players is inconsistent or dislikes big matches he is discarded.

In general, I scout a lot and then help myself from this pool of scouted players. Then I filter by:

1st grade minimum 2-

2.Key attributes depending on the position ( I think that goes without saying)

3. Personality beats workrate etc...

4. Susceptibility to Injury

5. Budget

6. age

7. If attacker and i use a targetplayer, he must (!) have a certain size

8. If he is a defender, he must (!) be of a certain size

9. I am also selectively looking for standards experts - I have found that it is worthwhile

10. What talent does he have, so what class could he play one day (I'm mostly at home in lower league management)

The order is chosen arbitrarily

Speed, speed and speed. Also jumping reach for DCs. Go to fmarena. They made some interesting test regarding attributes.

Pace is the most important followed closely by acc. Number 3 but firther away is Jumping reach. All others are not so important as we may think.

If you acquire fast and agile players for every position (except for GK), you will overachieve dramatically, regardless of players' personalities, hidden attributes, mental or technical capabilities.

I've played this game since Championship Manager 96/97 and it's been like that for every ME version.

That's not to say slow players are useless, just that overachievement comes quicker with pacey players, no pun intended.

Em 28/01/2023 em 16:24, herne79 disse:

In threads like this people rarely mention the every-bit-as-important hidden* attributes such as Consistency.  You can have the best looking player on the planet, but if he lacks consistency, is injury prone, likely to get sent off, wilts under pressure and hates big matches he'll be useless.

*They're not "hidden".  They're stated on scout/coach reports, just not in the usual 1-20 format.  eg., "Player lacks consistency, is injury prone and goes missing in big matches" = avoid;  "Player is consistent" = snog.  "Player is consistent, enjoys big matches, works well under pressure" = marry.

High potential player but inconsistent will stop you from signing him? 

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

High potential player but inconsistent will stop you from signing him? 

It’d depend on the rest of his attributes.  Deficiencies can be compensated for in other areas, so a lack of consistency only doesn’t have to be the end of the world.  But a player such as Super Mario who would be unplayable on his day would find those days few and far between.

In a young player though not so important as he’d (hopefully) develop over time.

2 horas atrás, herne79 disse:

It’d depend on the rest of his attributes.  Deficiencies can be compensated for in other areas, so a lack of consistency only doesn’t have to be the end of the world.  But a player such as Super Mario who would be unplayable on his day would find those days few and far between.

In a young player though not so important as he’d (hopefully) develop over time.

So lack of consistency can change in a young player? But is it rare for that change to happen?  I've noticed that I have a few in my team 

7 hours ago, mikcheck said:

So lack of consistency can change in a young player? But is it rare for that change to happen?  I've noticed that I have a few in my team 

It can change yes, I’d also suggest it’s not uncommon for that change to happen although I have no data to back that up.  The degree of change is a different matter and again I’d suggest we shouldn’t expect large increases, although I have no data to support that either.

One or two inconsistent players in a team is probably ok so long as the rest of your team can cope, more than that and I’d start to be concerned and want to look at the transfer market.

4 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

In that case, I guess that the younger the player is the more you can gamble on his consistency improving a little over the years.

It depends on the player's ability, if we're talking about a squad player, as per the thread title. As long as you can extract (consistent) decent performances out of the player, he has a chance to improve consistency.

As Herne79 mentioned, have one or two fairly inconsistent players shouldn't be the end of the world. If you're fielding a lot of them, you could potentially have issues.