Max contract length in FM2023?

Chelsea have just signed two players on contracts of 7 and a half and 8 and a half year deals. I’ve never been able to offer contracts over 5 years long. It would make negotiations more interesting. As it’s a thing in real life can it be added to the game sand what is the current maximum length you can offer?

Edited by cantonbean

• cantonbean changed the title to Max contract length in FM2023?

Afair there is or was some law in the EU that prohibits very long contracts in football (maybe profi sport general) in some way as they are against the freedom of work (whatever that is called in english i do not know it).

Since UK has left the EU possibly this law no longer affects them...

But i think 5yrs were the upper contract length possible.

22 hours ago, Etebaer said:

Afair there is or was some law in the EU that prohibits very long contracts in football (maybe profi sport general) in some way as they are against the freedom of work (whatever that is called in english i do not know it).

Since UK has left the EU possibly this law no longer affects them...

But i think 5yrs were the upper contract length possible.

I believe it's a FIFA regulation that contracts should be no longer than 5 years, but "national laws" may permit longer.

image.png.49735b4dc391481ee43371e308880405.png

I just read today that in Germany the League Authority (DFL) permits maximum lenghth of contract to 5 years max, while in England there is no such limit. The main reason for the long contract is supposed to be that the clubs can spread the transfer value to duration of contract so they can fulfill the FFP goals easier. In case of Chelsea it makes sense now, but it might make them difficulties in 5-6 years.