Get Stuck In/Tackle Harder Instructions

Apologies if this has been covered before but advice/opinions needed. I've finally stumbled across a tactic that's working great for me. I'm not a tactical whizz by any means, so often I resort to downloading and tweaking if needed, tactics from the forums. Most always seem to come with the get stuck in team mentality and/or tackle harder player instructions. Does removing these seriously impact the tactics performance? Whilst it's great to find a winning tactic, I'm someone who hates getting too many yellow and red cards which are inevitable with these instructions on. Thoughts welcome.

As a general rule of thumb most downloaded plug and play type tactics essentially brute force results, while it's effective I often have found that altering them to lower intensity leads to my side playing much more the brand of football I want to see. 

To answer your question more directly I find you do end up winning the ball back a bit more frequently using the brute force methods but I find I typically have better results overall (in the ways that I personally measure a tactics effectiveness, not necessarily just having the highest point total at the end of the season) by removing tackle harder from anyone in my back line and removing the teamwide get stuck in. I get even better results by selectively applying tackle harder  through OIs and PIs as I see fit. This more nuanced style may concede a few more shots on average, but you tend to play more posisitionaly sound defense leading to a worse shot, quality wise. 

Edited by 1twoQ

2 hours ago, 1twoQ said:

As a general rule of thumb most downloaded plug and play type tactics essentially brute force results, while it's effective I often have found that altering them to lower intensity leads to my side playing much more the brand of football I want to see. 

To answer your question more directly I find you do end up winning the ball back a bit more frequently using the brute force methods but I find I typically have better results overall (in the ways that I personally measure a tactics effectiveness, not necessarily just having the highest point total at the end of the season) by removing tackle harder from anyone in my back line and removing the teamwide get stuck in. I get even better results by selectively applying tackle harder  through OIs and PIs as I see fit. This more nuanced style may concede a few more shots on average, but you tend to play more posisitionaly sound defense leading to a worse shot, quality wise. 

That's well-put. But bear in mind also, designing a tactic is a holistic enterprise. Making a choice in one element affects the others. For me, hard-tackling goes with a high press and a compact playing style. If you play a low block or keep the pitch wide, there's less point in it.

I never use get stuck in as a team instruction because, well, it’s a team instruction that may not be appropriate for every player. I’d rather use a PI on each position of tackle harder as then I’d able to remove it from any individual who wouldn’t be suited to that instruction. For example, it’s probably not sensible to tell someone with a low bravery attributable to tackle harder. Like @1twoQ I don’t want my defenders to tackle harder earning cards and giving away penalties or free kicks close to my goal so I don’t tell them to tackle harder.