[FM23] Always the Bridesmaids, never the Brides.

VillaSmith

Whilst I have been enjoying this season's FM, I have struggled to get into a save properly and rarely gotten much further than the second season, so over the Christmas break when I had time off I decided to find a save that I could really jump into, and maybe even one I could do an update thread on as I've always liked posting here or in the challenges threads, but who to pick? My first thought was to take a team that hadn't won the league before and bring them their first title. I didn't want to start off too low down, but I wanted a degree of building in the save. I ruled out England, as I've done that and I get bored easily in England after a few seasons, plus being English, there's always some association I have that makes me not like most clubs that aren't Villa :D 

So I looked abroad, and the name that jumped out immediately was Leverkusen. Dominant team to overthrow, good but not ready-made challengers, top league but not the best, the Neverkusen nickname... they seemed perfect, but again I felt I'd get bored with them fairly easily and that the goal of winning the Bundesliga and Champions League with them would be too short term and leave me looking for a new save relatively quickly. I want teams to be all regens and to have battled it out with Pedri or Gavi for managerial dominance when I hang up this save!

And then it occured to me, I remembered one of my favourite threads from this forum, ManUtd1's Nearly Men thread!

knives-out-it-makes-no-damn-sense.gif

Yes! This stupid, impossible challenge will keep me occupied for a while!

Now I'll admit I won't be able to weave a narrative like ManUtd1 did, so I won't try, but I think the journey itself will be interesting enough to warrant a thread here. Plus to add some distinction to this thread instead of just ripping off the idea (it is absolutely just ripping off the idea) I've decided to rename my attempt - The Bridesmaids Challenge! To take every major footballing bridesmaid and give them their big day. If you haven't read through the Nearly Men thread (which I highly recommend you do), then the premise is simple, since the beginning of the European Cup, there have been 20 teams to reach the final but fail to lift Big Ears, whilst for the World Cup, there have been 5* Nations that have played on the biggest stage, only to taste defeat. Always the bridesmaids, never the brides... until now! I will attempt to win the Champions League and World Cup with each of these teams, or as many as possible. Any team that manages to reach one of these finals for the first time but loses will become a Bridesmaid and eligible for this challenge, and the reverse, if a Bridesmaid wins one of these trophies and becomes a Bride, they will lose eligibility.

So, to end this preamble, here's the starting Bridesmaids clubs!

Arsenal - (2006)

Atlético Madrid - (1974, 2014, 2016)

Club Brugge - (1978)

Eintracht Frankfurt - (1960)

Fiorentina - (1957)

Leeds United - (1975)

Leverkusen - (2002)

Malmö - (1979)

Man City - (2021)

Monaco - (2004)

Borussia Mönchengladbach - (1977)

Panathinaikos - (1971)

Paris Saint-Germain - (2020)

Partizan - (1966)

Stade de Reims - (1956, 1959)

Roma - (1984)

Saint-Étienne - (1976)

Sampdoria - (1992)

Tottenham Hotspur - (2019)

Valencia - (2000, 2001)

And their National equivalents;

Croatia - (2018)

Czechoslovakia* - (1934, 1962)

Hungary - (1938, 1954)

Netherlands - (1974, 1978, 2010)

Sweden - (1958)

* For the purposes of this challenge, Czechia and Slovakia will both count as Bridesmaids.

I've loaded the major leagues as playable, as well as the leagues needed for this challenge, plus some non-European leagues as view only. Also to make sure I was enjoying this save, I played a few seasons to get into it first before starting this thread, so the first few updates will come soon, but may be light as I struggle to remember the seasons. So, without further ado, on to my first Bridesmaid - Malmo!

4ZvAyer.png

4ZvAyer.png

June 2022

Manager Profile - I don't want to make this challenge harder than it already is, so starting off with recommended reputation and coaching badges for Malmo. It feels about the right level, I'm not going to be chased by big clubs straight away, but I should have a big enough reputation to keep the dressing room on side.

Starting Table - Taking over in June 2022, so midway through the Swedish season, and Malmo haven't started brilliantly. Still in the title race, but I can't afford too many slip ups. Plus I'm right into the thick of it with my first Champions League campaign kicking off soon, hopefully I can balance the two to progress well whilst securing my berth for next season.

Transfers - A pleasant surprise, Malmo had £50m in the bank :eek: I've started off with a decent budget of £3m, so managed to bring in a few new faces in the summer, although the homegrown requirement in the league is already a frustration, fortunately Malmo start off with quite a few homegrown players and a few decent prospects in Larsson, Nanasi and Gwargis. Montoia and Williamsen were brought in to become HG, but they were too old despite being 18. Jorgensen is an old FM favourite of mine, so I had to snap him up when I saw he was interested and that their were a few decent European sides after him. I'm happy to pick up Peric too, transfer listed at Dinamo Zagreb, and looks a good CB, although his positioning is slightly poor.

3bg7c73.jpg

4ZvAyer.png

2022 Season

An inauspicious start to the challenge, losing my first game in charge to Mjallby, followed by a draw at Hammarby, although easing past Hibernians in the Champions League did give some hope. Hope that didn't last long as I got dumped out by Lech Poznan in the Second Qualifying Round. Fortunately, I managed to turn things around in the league, which put me in with a shout of catching Djurgardens who had shot past me to the top of the league, and a 3-0 away win against them gave me hope I could still win the league, however whilst I stumbled with some frustrating losses in a stuttering end to the year, Djurgardens won every game to win the league with a record 70 points. From when I took over Djurgardens dropped just 5 points, meaning I needed to lose only 4, far less than the 18 I ended up dropping. Things went better in the Cup and Europe though. A high scoring win for my backup side got me through to the Cup group stage and a kind draw got me into the Europa League group stage, which had another shaky start, but I managed to pull out two big home wins against Rangers and Midtjylland to edge through the group on 8 points and onto my first knockout games against Juventus. Yay...

My main takeaway from this season is depth. I have a good squad for the Allsvenskan that can get the odd result in Europe, but I need far better rotation players to cope with the long route in to Europe during the summer. I also need to bring in some young prospects. There aren't many good homegrown players willing to come back to Sweden (yet...), so I need to bring in some players that can become HG later on and can bring the potential to take us further in Europe.

Allsvenskan Table-Fixtures/Svenska Cupen/Champions League/Europa League Group-EL Fixtures

HQnINGG.jpg

puVAzE0.jpg

We have our first Bride as the Netherlands beat England on penalties after a 2-2 draw in the World Cup final, which means they are no longer eligible. Frustrating as they were my best shot at a World Cup, but it was always a risk they would win one before I got the chance to manage them.

Ifo1nxT.jpg

22/23 Europa League Knockout Playoff First Leg

w7CW1yD.png

9wRkD8f.png

An unsurprising first leg result, I managed to keep the ball well, but that was about it. We were under pressure from the first minute, I'm just no way near Juventus' level yet.

22/23 Europa League Knockout Playoff Second Leg

RTrRFsY.png

UjPHKsa.png

A closer game in the second leg, but still not good enough to lay a finger on Juve, and then Christiansen's red finished off all chances of even getting a result. Oh well, was always going to be a long shot to progress past Juve, so I'm happy with the rep and co-efficient boost of reaching the knockout rounds.

4ZvAyer.png

2023 Season

Allsvenskan

Table / Fixtures 1 - 2 / Squad

My first title :cool: I took the lead early on in the season, then didn't give it up for the rest of the year, although I was never really comfortable. Frustrating draws meant I couldn't quite put some distance between me and the chasing pack, but the final run of games plus some slip ups from Hammarby saw me bring the Allsvenskan trophy back to Malmo. The depth brought in during the transfer windows helped me fight on two fronts, and we were much stronger in the league for it, but I would still like to be able to save my starting XI for Europe more often. That being said, I think I have a good core of young players and some older heads that I think I can build around long term, but the HG rules are frustrating me, I need to look for more to bring in, ideally ones that would improve me, but decent bench players would be good too.

Svenska Cupen

22/23 - 23/24

No issues in the Svenska Cupen whilst heavily rotating until I came up against BK Hacken, who are quickly becoming my bogey team, I lost all three of my first meetings with them, only managing to get my first win against them towards the end of the league season. It's a disappointing first Cup run as I hoped I'd I could get my first trophy here, but a league title only will have to do. On to the 23/24 campaign (what an odd system by the way, why not have it on a yearly calendar like the league?) and a comfortable win against Trollhatten to get to the group stage.

Europa Conference League

Group Stage / Fixtures

A brilliant European campaign, losing just one game (and that was a bit of an undeserved one, I'll blame the jet lag from flying to Kazakhstan). We comfortably got through to the group stage and then managed to top the group with some blistering football at times. I'm really hopeful that this can be my first taste of European success, but I have a tough test in Crystal Palace in the next round, though they'll be a great benchmark to see where my team is.

Transfers / In 2 Out 2 / Out 3

A big outlay but I managed to bring in quite a bit through sales. Some good young talent through the door, Arenal and Katinic are young enough that they'll become HG, whilst Moleiro and Diomande fill some pretty big gaps on the wings and could be fixtures for a while hence the big fees, both repaying that investment with great seasons, especially Diomande's 15 goals. Salifu looks a decent pick up for £400k but he may need some time on loan to get some game time. I was really happy with my two free transfers for the first team, with Navarro slotting in to my DM position nicely and creating a strong midfield trio alongside Jorgensen and Zeidan, and Klavan may be one of my best ever signings on FM, he was brilliant! He was seriously impressive for a 36 year old and immediately improved my defence, filling the large Nielsen shaped hole after he requested a transfer. A short term fix, but he has the physical attributes to keep playing a few years yet. Zandén and Ronning help with the HG quotas, and I'm really happy with Ronning for just £100k. I tried to get him last season when he was at Elfsborg, but he turned me down to go to Ajax instead and proceeded to make just 2 appearances for Jong Ajax before being put up for sale at a cut down price, and I had to snap him up. He will defintely be my long term replacement for Dahlin.

Oh, and Zlatan made his long awaited return to Malmo! Far too good for the league, I managed to agree a pre-contract after a couple of attempts, he's by far my best paid player, and I then had the option to buy him immediately for just £450k which I had to do. He was fantastic, slotting in to my tactic perfectly and linking up well with the players around him, and I'm sure 27 goals is enough to get a new nose forged for his statue.

kDOH8bb.jpg

26cqi4R.jpg

Another winner claimed by the AI, this time Man City taking the 2023 Champions League title.

oFNnWXN.jpg

Edited by VillaSmith

23/24 Europa Conference League Round of 16 First Leg

6PoJiT8.png

EVGBBL9.png

A tough away game where Palace's pace caused me real problems and their Premier League quality saw them edge a game that I was probably the better side in overall. It was a frustrating game to lose, especially with Fofana scoring off a last second set piece to double the deficit for the second leg, but I was encouraged by the performance and how we reacted to going 3-0 down, it gave me a lot of hope we could win the second leg and maybe turn the tie around.

23/24 Europa Conference League Round of 16 Second Leg

uEVFM50.png

n6g7JCe.png

Well, **** :( Another game I thought I was the better side in, another game where Palace's pace caused me issues and won them the game. Edouard was unplayable for my defence and seemed to score every chance he got. Every time we took the lead, Palace immediately put us under pressure and managed to score, and Edouard ended up getting his hat-trick as I pushed to win the game.

Again it was an encouraging performace, and I felt I should have progressed over the two legs, but we couldn't make our chances pay or shut down Palace well enough.

Edited by VillaSmith

4ZvAyer.png

2024 Season

Allsvenskan

Table / Fixtures 1 - 2

Back to back titles! Going out of the Europa League to Palace ended up allowing me focus solely on domestic competitions, and I got off to a flying start in the league, with only a defeat to Djurgardens being a major blot on the record, although that was in part thanks to a first half red card. We went in to the summer clear of the hunting pack allowing me to rotate when the Champions League qualifiers came around. A couple disappointing defeats to Varnamo and Brage we worrying, but fortunately we had built enough of a lead that we could still limp to the title with just 2 wins in the last 7. This team is really starting together, and I feel I may just be a few pieces away from making some really progress in Europe, along with further development of the young players I already have.

Svenska Cupen

22/23 - 23/24

We comfortably topped the group again and this time managed to get all the way to the final and win the Cup, beating three rivals along the way too! I'm delighted to have won the Cup after failing last season, especially when using a heavy rotation for it.

And then into the group stage for next seasons edition as my backup side made easy work of the lower league opposition, Sollentuna.

Champions League

League Phase / Fixtures 1 - 2

It ended up being a breeze to get to the League Phase this season, coming up against Astana again and beating two fellow Nordic sides en route. It was a tough start to the League phase losing to Celtic and then drawing with Porto, two games I had aimed to win in the hopes of sneaking a playoff place, so I ended up abandoning my possession focussed tactic from the league and go with a more counter attacking, defence first approach and boy did it pay off! First a well earned Draw in Munich and then 3 back to back wins including a special win against Arsenal. We played some fantastic football throughout these games and really deserved the wins we were getting. The draw at Anfield was a little more fortunate, a late own goal against the run of play knicked us a point, but then we followed it up by outplaying Ajax at home to secure 10th place finish with results going against us the following day to see us slip out of the top 8.

For the Knockout Playoff we've been handed a winnable draw against PSV, I just need to keep morale and fitness up until then with just one competive game between them.

Transfers / Out 2

The money flowed a bit more this season as the transfer budget saw a big increase with the bank balance hovering around the £50m starting balance. I may have slightly overpaid for Haksabanovic, but being a HG player he was still worth it and good enough to rotate with Moleiro to keep things fresh for the bigger games and allow a quality option from the bench in the league. Bellingham and van Sas were pre-contract turned buy-now players, hence the low fees, and I'm really happy to have two high potential players come in. Van Sas isn't young enough to become HG but he'll be a more than capable deputy for Ronning, although he ended up being loaned out to get first team football. Bellingham isn't as world class as his brother, but he still looks a very tidy prospect (this sentence hurt me as a Villa fan...), especially for such a low fee, plus joining at 18 he will be able to become HG eventually which is a bonus. I also addressed two problem areas I saw with the squad which was first CB, spending big money on Gila to have a big upgrade there and getting Relvas on loan with a view to a permanent deal. As good as Klavan has been, his age started to show this season, and he retired at the end of the season, so it was imperative that I sorted out the succesion quickly, and I'm not sure Peric will be good enough to be a starter for much longer unfortunately. The other problem are was up front. like with Klavan, Zlatan was starting to show his age and would retire at the end of the season, and Salifu hadn't quite kicked on enough to take the starting spot full time, so I brought in Ali Akman on loan again with a view to a permanent deal, which I exercised in November as I suddenly panicked that I would be left with no strikers for the Champions League when Zlatan retired in mid-November (turns out players just delay their retirement a few weeks). Turnbull was a good pickup on a free transfer, although I do worry about his poor physical attributes. Bergvall was simply a loan to fufill the league's HG requirements. When I saw I had a shot at Bardghji, I threw everything I had to get him, not just HG in Sweden, but at Malmo too, young, with huge potential, and good enough to challenge for a starting spot immediately. It's a risk to break the transfer record like that, but I think it's worth it.

EATTjvw.jpg

h9wVVqi.jpg

No changes this season, with the 23/24 final seeing Liverpool win their 7th trophy against the previous years winner Man City.

oFNnWXN.jpg

24/25 Champions League Knock Out Playoff First Leg

OE9XHEl.png

zgRq2Xj.png

A very frustrating first leg, we just weren't in this game at any point, we were doing well to keep PSV out, until the last 15 minutes when PSV managed to pull away from us. Salifu got us a bit of an undeserved goal to reduce the deficit to 1, which at least gives us a chance to still go through if we can give a strong home performance.

24/25 Champions League Knock Out Playoff Second Leg

8c2tsFZ.png

f8mAjqO.png

A far better performance this time around, an almost complete reversal to the first leg, but we still required PSV to get a player sent off to allow us to open them up, first with Bardghji getting the eaualiser. I did think when Akman missed the penalty that the luck wouldn't be completely with us and we'd missed our chance to win before ET, but Moleiro popped up at the death and sent us through to the Round of 16!!!

Delighted to have gotten through and a big influx of cash to help us keep building, in the next round, Befica, one of the more winnable ties left in the competition.

Edited by VillaSmith

24/25 Champions League Round of 16 First Leg

zQuPjxp.png

X2r5ID8.png

A much tougher tie than I was anticipating. We were the better team in the first half and managed to take the lead, but we under constant pressure the second half, and just as it was looking like I would hold on to take a win into the second leg, Benfica managed get a last minute equaliser. We didn't lose which was good, but the performance left a lot to be desired going in to the next leg.

24/25 Champions League Round of 16 Second Leg

bgQY7D5.png

Jzn39MH.png

And like that, through to the Quarters :cool: A more even game, but arguably an undeserved win. Having said that, it was in part due to a more defensive performance towards the end of the second half which invited Befinca on to us, but we managed to hold out to set up a date with Real Madrid in the next round.

24/25 Champions League Quarter Final First Leg

g7z7vjd.png

m6XDGR1.png

shocked-surprised.gif

A sensational curled effort in to the top corner from 20 yards out by Federico Navarro delivers a famous victory to Di Blåe! I was delighted at how even the game was and the chances we created, I was in no way expecting us to go toe-to-toe with Madrid after the scraping by Benfica, but we were magnificent on both ends of the pitch, now we just need to follow it up with a strong performance in Spain and we may sneak in to the Semis :cool: 

24/25 Champions League Quarter Final Second Leg

sHGHFss.png

hvkvFhA.png

Back to reality. We managed to take the game to extra time, but we were under pressure from the get go and couldn't get any sort of foothold at all. The xG tells it's own story, we were barraged and when Vini Jr got the goal to make it 2-0, we just didn't have it in us to try and get another goal. An absolutely brilliant campaign though, and we got far further than I expected, plus the boost in finances will help us build as our bank balance is now up to £75m :eek:  Although with Celtic and RB Leipzig making it to the Semi Final, it is frustrating that this season could have ended up with a flukely win of the whole thing if we'd held on in this tie, but it wasn't to be.

Edited by VillaSmith

4ZvAyer.png

2025 Season

Allsvenskan

Table / Fixtures 1 - 2 / Squad 1 - 2

A bit of a mixed start to the season, in part thanks to focusing on the Champions League, but once we got back to solely league football, we managed to storm to the top of the table. A couple slip ups in the first half of the season kept the teams around me in the title hunt, but we managed to go the entire second half of the season without a loss and pull away to win the league with a record points haul! We're easily favourites every season now, and I feel I've gotten a good balance in my squad between capable HG players for the league, and young, high potential players that can perform in Europe, I'm really excited about how far this team can go, I just need to fight off the yearly vultures circling my players and keep the team together, but I'm not sure how long I can do that for.

Svenska Cupen

Group Stage / 24/25 / 25/26

Ahem, well this is awkward... I rotated heavily in the cup to keep my team fresh for the Champions League, and I ended up struggling to get a win in the group stage with all three performances being well below par. I think I underestimated just how tough this group was, but we really should have been able to get through, with the most disappointing result being Helsingborgs where I got a 2-0 lead after just 6 minutes and still managed to draw. We didn't lost though, so that's a bonus I guess.

Trollhatten again in the 25/26 Second Round, and a much more convincing performance this time to ease through 5-0, hopefully we can have a much better showing next season.

Champions League

League Phase / Fixtures 1 - 2 - 3

Easy wins against Vikingur and Astana for the second year in a row, and then we got through a tricky play-off versus future side Club Brugge to recah the League phase once again. And oh my word, the planets have aligned. We have really kicked on this season, but by the time we hit the League phase games, we were in a great run of form in the Allsvenskan, and most of my players had just signed new deals, so our morale was sky high, a couple easy games to kick off and we just kept on winning! We played some unbelievable football at times to earn amazing wins against Bayern and Barca, and firmly put ourselves in the automatics. A bit of a slip up against Monaco and PSV, but we got a credible draw against Chelsea and finished it off with a win at home to Benfica to secure a Round of 16 berth. I'm really confident this season, I think we could really have a crack at it this year!

4vjjWIH.png

Transfers

A big outlay counter-balanced by the sales of Turnbull and Peric, neither were happy with their playing time by the summer, so I decided to cash in on them whilst I could, and was happily surprised to see the fees I could get considering the offers I usually get. In the winter I brought Nanasi back on loan for HG quotas, he's a good backup and saw a lot of playing time in the League. Likewise Hussein was brought in to bolster my HG numbers, but didn't see as much time in the league, but a lot of bench appearances! Chirtes and Rodrigues are two regens I brought in to bolster the youth team and of course to become HG eventually, but won't be near the first team very soon. Fontán was a good pickup, not renewing his contract at Celta, I thought he'd partner Gila well at CB, but other teams were circling so I arranged to buy him in December rather than fight off other teams to get him on a free. Marvin Bard looked to be good competition for Zandén at LB and at a decent price too, with some good potential also. Vos was brought in on loan with a view to making it permanent, but I'm not sure I can justify the £19m agreed fee, but he was a good DM back up for the season at least. I was really excited to bring in Lopez, a Mexican regen with heaps of potential, young enough to become HG and good enough to challenge Akman for the starting ST spot already. Plus he can play a number of positions which is always a plus. In the summer I didn't feel the need to make too many deals, just a couple opportunic ones. Dahlberg on a free transfer will be a great backup for Ronning and willing to be a backup too. Oliveira is a Brazillian regen that's either footed and can play either FB position, with loads of potential too. Paid a bit more than I wanted, but I think he'll be worth it eventually, or I should be able to eventually recoup it. Bohrer was brought in to replace Mohammed Diomandé, who I had agreed to sell to PSV for £50m, and the German regen looked to be a great pick up to deputise for Bardghji, but I eventually decided to keep Diomandé so he'll be more of a rotation option for the league. Not sure if I'll regret keeping Diomandé though, as £50m is probably far above his worth and more than I'll get in the future.

lMeIPjT.jpg

YKNhAlo.jpg

Our first new team, as RB Leipzig reached the 2024/25 Champions League final to lost on penalties against Chelsea. And with a World Cup coming up next season there's a chance to add another to the list.

xDV1iBK.jpg

25/26 Champions League Round of 16 First Leg

HqzxyuQ.png

5K7qpsh.png

A great result in the first leg, giving me a good platform to cause an upset in the next leg, although I was dreaming of another famous victory when I took a 1-0 lead, but to be fair a 1-1 draw was very kind given that Madrid peppered me all game. Losing Gila is frustrating as we're low on CBs at the minute, but I'm hoping I can pull off another home upset.

25/26 Champions League Round of 16 Second Leg

N2G7ciy.png

HAM5PlG.png

Unfortunately I couldn't provide an upset. An even game and another lead taken after half an hour, but two quickfire goals just after HT made the mountain just too high to climb. It was a gut punch of a winner too, with Williamsen deputising for Gila, blocking a cut back from Vini Jr only to see it fizz past Ronning at the near post. Again I'm happy with how close the game was, we're really starting to become one of Europe's better sides if not quite at the elite level yet, and unlike last year, they're are no "easy" teams left in the QF's so it's not like I passed up a good opportunity this season. On to next year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is pretty much caught up with the save now, I'm near the end of the 2026 season so will have an update soon for that. I have also realised that I probably should have been taking screenshots of players throughout the seasons, especially regens, so will start doing that going forward. I think I will also start doing a few more mini updates as well instead of just waiting for the end of year review, just to update on any major developments and maybe on the current squad/tactics etc, for instance, an international update will be coming soon.

220px-USA-Canada-Mexico_2026_World_Cup_B

World Cup time and that means international sackings! Going into I was hoping Sweden would underperform as I would really love a stab at 2030 with them, but Janne Andersson just can't lose his job :(

Well, let's see if there's anyone intersting that gets to the final...

sBZSsWQ.png

60 years on, football's coming home, yada yada yada. What I'm more intersted in is that Norway are now eligible!

Haaland, Odegaard and Schelderup in their prime for a run at 2030...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47grx0ggibwzokr2gzhw

Alas, Stale Solbakken and Janne Andersson stayed in the Norway and Sweden jobs respectively, clearly not wanting to give up the attacking crops they both have, and who can blame them? However, following the World Cup, there was one Bridesmaid left without a manager, and so, I make my entrance to the international stage.

sVZVnnr.png

Hello Zagreb! I've taken over at Croatia, the most recent IRL finalist. They topped their group, easing past Jamaica and Paraguay, but went out in the second round 1-0 to Argentina. This team is probably not quite at the standard of the 2018 team, with the likes of Modric and Perisic long retired from the national side. But there are some decent young players. The strength in this team is clearly the defence, including Malmo's own Maro Katinic, but the midfield three is still very strong, if not Modric/Rakitic strong, and the front three is the clear weakness although there are some good prospects, just not a lot of immediate depth.

Josko Gvardiol and Josip Sutalo are the pick outs from the defence, Marcelo Brozovic and Mateo Kovacic will be important players that I hope can stick around until 2030, but that may be a tall ask, Martin Baturina is a great option for the midfield three or front three, and Gabriel Vidovic is the nailed on number 9.

4ZvAyer.png

2026 Season

Allsvenskan

A fantastic season and by far my most impressive domestically so far. We were a little shakier in defense but going forward we were magnificent, really blowing teams away at times, and it meant we never looked like not winning the title, even more so when we set off on a run of 12 wins to end the season and once again set the Allsvenskan points record. I don't really have to worry about the league much anymore, as my second string can usually beat most teams in the league, only needing to call on my bigger players for derbies and tough games, plus now the Allsvenskan has a second CL spot thanks to my European runs, with one soon going straight to the league phase, so even winning the league isn't a necessity anymore. Also I hope it improves the other teams in the league, as I do like the idea of improving the entire nation not just Malmo.

Svenska Cupen

25/26 / 26/27

Another cup win and a bizarre record set as I now hold the longest streak without a loss in the Cup at 19 games, although I have only won 2 of the 3 cups over that period! It's always good to win silverware and make up for the disappointing performance last season.

The second for the 26/27 was more difficult than I would have liked, requiring Lopez to come from the bench and put us through with a late winner, but a wins a win and we're through to the group stage again.

Champions League

Wow. Wow wow wow. Just a ridiculous performance in the League Phase this season. I thought a last minute winner away at Inter would be the highlight of this season's campaign, but to get a draw at Juventus and a win at home to Atleti was amazing and far better than I expected. But to come from 1-0 down against Pep's City and absolutely spank them 4-1 was just insane, and topped off by an amazing solo goal from Haksabanovic, running half the pitch, turning Ruben Dias inside out, then scooping the ball into the far top corner past Ederson. Just ridiculous. Newcastle did bump me back down to earth though in what was a very frustrating performance, but I was through to the Round of 16 in 2nd place, so there wasn't too much to be annoyed about.

Up next, Arsenal.

Transfers / Out 1 - 2

The priority this window was the defence, and with a big budget burning a hole in my pocket, I felt I needed to go big for a player that immediately improve my back four, and that player was Patricio Nazareno, a brilliant young CB from Atalanta that they were surprisingly willing to let go. Obviously the price tage is a lot for a Swedish team, but I felt I couldn't pass up the upgrade he would represent for my defence. With this in mind, I also brought in Richard Jean-Caliste Keleba, a young LB from Nordsjaelland I'd had my eye on for a while, and when I saw he was transfer listed by request, I swopped in to bring him to the club. Not as much of an upgrade as Nazareno, but good enough to compete with Zandén and Fontán with heaps of potential too. In terms of big spending, I also brought in Lee-Quincy Maatrijk, a bit more risky as he's one for the future, but with big clubs circling and AZ willing to sell, I snapped him up to deputise for Navarro. Filip Szczpanik was brought in as a cheap back up option in defence, picked up by my scouts in Poland, he's got great potential and is more than good enough to be starting in the league for me, a fantastic signing for less than £1m. Viktor Claesson and Emil Forsberg were brought in as experienced squad players as well as boosting my HG numbers and were great stand ins during the season, especially Claesson who helped see out quite a few games coming on late. I also boosted my youth ranks with the signings of Matthew FelixOla IkennaDramana Mama and Danil Yefimov. Felix is probably the most exciting prospect, and the player I'd watched for a while, and Ikenna and Mama were two players I noticed whilst looking at Felix. Yefimov was a bit of a wildcar, a free agent that had a decent scout report, but it's relatively risk free, if he doesn't come good I've not spent anything on him.

sVZVnnr.png

Nations League

Table / Fixtures

A rough start to life as Croatia manager. I tinkered with tactics in the first two games which saw two defeats in which we never really competed, plus I really underestimated just how good Portugal are. But then we started to click, leading Sweden for much of the game only to concede the equaliser in the last minute, and then we led Portugal too, but our tired legs couldn't keep out two goals in the last 10 minutes to turn the game around. Going into the last games I'd resigned myself to relegation but a crucial win v Sweden gave me a sliver of hope and then a magnificent performance v Italy secured our League A status with Sweden losing to group winners Portugal.

We got better as the games went on, so there's something to build off here, though I do hope I see some good young talent come through soon.

Now it's on to Euro 2028 qualification, and we were handed a decent group. Hungary and Wales are probably the teams to be wary of in the group, but I feel it's one I should be able to win quite handily.

b59PSvY.jpg

6LLS68x.jpg

As mentioned in my mini update, a new Nation has become eligible with Norway reaching the World Cup final in 2026. I'm still kind of hoping I get a chance with them in 2030 as that seems like it'd be their best shot, but I'll have to be content with Croatia for now.

ttu5jbL.jpg

26/27 Champions League Round of 16 First Leg

YOqamA7.png

ZPo2tXm.png

I have never celebrated an FM win like I did with this game! Half-time and 3-0 down, I couldn't see a way back in this tie, but then a quick goal in the second half gave me hope we might be able to turn it around in Malmo, the second reinforced that hope, and the equaliser made me start to believe we could go through still, then I was running around my room like a madman with the 4th and 5th goals, and unreal second half performance where we played scintillating football and probably the best 45 minute performance as Malmo manager. Firmly in the driving seat for the second leg.

26/27 Champions League Round of 16 Second Leg

vpcXGT3.png

OL1esle.png

A slightly disappointing performance especially after taking the lead, but we held out well and managed to withstand Arsenal's attacks in the second half, and utlimately we did what we needed to to get through, so no real complaints to be had. What's really encouraging is that Arsenal are probably one of the best sides in world football right now (though not quite the best in England), so getting past them is very good for our CL campaign.

Serie A leaders Milan are up next in the Quarter Final, time to do to them what I did to their cross town rivals :cool:

26/27 Champions League Quarter Final First Leg

7P6rPOC.png

Rivivwa.png

This was a tense first leg and I was very much second best in the first half, with Milan failing to make a few chances pay but showing a clear dominance going into half time and Rodrygo giving them a lead with a low and hard shot from the edge of the box into the near bottom corner, before Akman magnificently backheeled a low Fontán cross in added on time to level things up. The second half was much better in terms of chances for me, taking the lead on the hour mark, with Akman meeting a Bardghji cross only to fluff it into the air for Larsson to head a shot that Maignon fumbled into the net. I though I had firmly put the tie in my hands when Akman pounced on a Jorgensen through ball to fire past Maignon, buthe'd made his run a fraction too early and the game remained 2-1. A good platform for the second leg, but still have a tough tie on my hands.

26/27 Champions League Quarter Final Second Leg

Ljd1sWE.png

l18AOfM.png

I certainly did not expect this! I thought I might be able to sneak a win, but not one so big. To be fair, the scoreline does flatter me, as Milan pushed for the tie equalising goal near the end of the game, my counter attacking set up came into it's own and we managed to stun Milan with a late barrage. The lead was taken through Bardghji, lingering at the back post as Nazareno flicked a Moleiro corner just wide, Bardghji managed to take a touch and tap it in. We took that lead into HT but it didn't last long into the second half, as Gila scrambled across to deal with a ball in behind for Vitor Roque and conceded the penalty, which Theo Hernandez duly put away in the bottom left corner. The second goal came from some quick passing down the left, Milan in a 424 formation which left some space to overwhelm their flanks and Navarro played a ball down the wing for Moleiro, who was stopped by Tonali tracking back, but he only managed to put it in Fontán's path who drove forward and played a beautiful low ball across the 6 yard box which Akman was the only one to react to. The third was a bit out of nowhere, a ball into the box was scrambled away by Milan and Navarro managed to beat Tonali to the loose ball, then Haksabanovic, whilst running away from goal, hit the ball first time from the ede of the box and scooped the ball into the far top corner, I couldn't believe it! Then Haksabanovic really sewed it up with a devastating counter, as Bellingham player Diomandé down the line, he cut back and played a 50/60 yard diagonal pass behind the defence for Haksabanovic to run onto, control and thump past Maignon, and into the Semis we go!

Unbelievable how far we've gotten this year, but still a lot of tough opponents left in it, none much harder than my next opponents.

Iw807fi.png

26/27 Champions League Semi Final First Leg

QSEmpsz.png

szVYXyI.png

A very poor start to the tie, conceding after just 45 seconds thanks to some poor defending, Koundé was allowed far too much space down the right hand side and played a ball in behind for Hudson-Odoiwhot cut back and played in a cross that had Barca players lining up, first Lewandowski who's header was blocked into the air, and then Torres who nodded it in, and we were staight away on the back foot. We managed to stay in it until half time, albeit without a huge amount of chances, and I felt we still had a chance, but early in the second half Garcia met a Gavi free-kick at the back post and doubled Barca's lead, we really struggled to get started in each half, and it took us 20 minutes to get a shot in the second half, and by that time Barca were cruising.

26/27 Champions League Semi Final Second Leg

3E42RuQ.png

SxH5bXn.png

I always believe I can beat teams in Malmo, but this is genuinely unbelievable, turning around a 2 goal deficit to get to my first CL Final of the challenge! It was a fantastic start with Gila meeting Moleiro's inswinging corner with a near post flick on to take the lead, but Lewandowski immediately pegged me back with a 20 yard free kick that Ronning could only tip into the top corner. But it wasn't long until the deadlock was broken again as a Barca attack broke down on the edge of my box and Bellingham thumped the loose ball away. Christensen miscontrolled the ball near the centre circle which caused confusion between him and Garcia, and Akman pounced on th eopportunity, knicking the ball away and bearing down on goal before coolly slid the ball past Ter Stegen. Then it was Katinic's turn to convert a Moleiro corner to tie the game up just before the half hour mark, although it was a bit fortunate as Ter Stegen got a glove to it but could only push it into the net. From there it was a nervy affair, with neither side really creating many chances, with the best ones probably falling my way, most notably a potential goal of the season candidate from Lopez around the 60th minute, picking the ball up in his own half, speeding through 4 Barca defenders, and then seeing his shot turned around the post by Ter Stegen. It went to ET and neither side really created much in the added half hour, although a 120th minute corner was about a foot away from being able to be turned into an open net by Ronning. Then the dreaded penalties. Akman stepped up first, his shot was very savable and Ter Stegen had no problem getting to it, and again we were on the back foot instantly like in the first leg. Barca comfortably scored their next three, as did Diomandé and Bellingham, then it all turned around from the 4th penalties. Haksabanovic stepped up, with balls so big you'd confuse him for Randy Marsh, and hit a delightful Panenka right down the middle even though a miss meant defeat. Hudson-Odoi then took Barca's 4th to put the pressure back on us, but put his attempt on to the post. Claesson, who came on minutes before the end of the game to take a penalty, despite looking anxious before the shootout, smashed his pen into the side netting sending Ter Stegen the wrong way, and Malmo were one penalty miss from the final. Up step Tim Ronning. He guesses the right way and firmly bats away Dembele's penalty to make himself a Malmo hero and send us to the final! I'm so delighted with this campaign and so happy with the way we've managed to turn around so many difficult situations. I though we may be a couple seasons from lifting Big Ears, but holy crap we might actually do it this season!!!!

01A8-86ES.jpg

Pictured - Tim Ronning handing the ball to Ousmane Dembele before the decisive penalty in the 2026-27 Champions League Semi Final shootout.

bFanShh.png

Oh, well it looks like I posted this picture a season too early.

4vjjWIH.png

Edited by VillaSmith

JD1sU0S.png

2026-27 Champions League Final

xqPYeF3.png V4ZvAyer.png

Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid

Starting Line-Ups

Real Madrid

GK - Thibaut Courtois

RB - Ridle Baku

CB - Éder Militao (c)

CB - Goncalo Inácio

LB - Nathan Aké

DM - Aurélien Tchouameni

CM - Federico Valverde

CM - Mikel Merino

RW - Noni Madueke

LW - Vinícius Júnior

ST - Son Hueng-min

Malmo FF

GK - Tim Ronning

RB - Lander Arenal

CB - Mario Gila (c)

CB - Patricio Nazareno

LB - José Fontán

CM - Jobe Bellingham

CM - Filip Ronningen Jorgensen

RW - Roony Bardghji

LW - Alberto Moleiro

AM - Francisco Lopéz

ST - Ali Akman

JD1sU0S.png

xqPYeF3.png V4ZvAyer.png

First Half

6th Minute

Penalty to Malmo! Just over five minutes into the 2026-27 final and we already have the first goal opportunity and plenty of drama to go with it.  Malmo patiently pass the ball around the half way line, before Mario Gila brings the ball forward and plays a low pass into Ali Akman's feet on the edge of the box. Akman holds of Militao, turns and plays a lovely left footed pass in behind Baku for Moleiro to run onto, and as he reaches the byline he's brought down by the scrambling Baku! The Real Madrid players crowd the referee and the whistles ring out from the Santiago Bernabeu, suspicions of offside from Moleiro and claims of going down easy from Baku, but after a brief conversation with VAR, Daniele Orsato points to the spot!

7th Minute

FisGoid.png

Ali Akman steps up to take the penalty and is denied as Courtois turns Akman's low shot towards the bottom left corner on to the post, but Akman is the quickest to react and pounces on the loose ball, smashing it past the outreaching Belgian. 48 years since Malmo's only previous Champions League final appearance, and they have taken a quickfire lead in Madrid! 1-0 Malmo.

17th Minute

QyHdBvo.png

And Malmo's lead doesn't last long. It all starts with a throw on the left hand side, Aké takes it short to Viní Jr, who gives it back before making a run in behind Arenal, but no-one picks out the run of Mikel Merino down the side of the box and Aké plays a simple pass to feet. Merino attacks the byline and plays a ball across the six-yard box towards Noni Madueke, Nazareno makes a hash of his clearance and Madueke flicks the ball in to the awaiting net! 1-1, all even again!

Half Time

A tense half comes to a close with a goal a piece for both teams and little else in the way of chances. Real Madrid probably the better of the two sides having grown into the game following the shock of the initial 10 minutes, but Malmo will be heartened by their performance and will still be dreaming of knicking this game.

JD1sU0S.png

xqPYeF3.png V4ZvAyer.png

Second Half

54th Minute

Corner to Real Madrid from the left hand side to be taken by Son. Son runs up and hits an inswinger towards the back post and Militao rises above five Malmo players to meet it, but he can only crash the ball off the post! Ronning is left scrambling and the defense are asking each other how they allowed that header, if Militao had directed that on target, Madrid would have taken the lead, a warning shot for the Swedes.

60th Minute

QyHdBvo.png

The warning shot from Madrid was not heeded by Malmo! This time it's an out swinging cross from Son on the right hand side towards the front post, Nazareno fails to cut out the corner and Aurélien Tchouameni takes advantage of his mismatch with Alberto Moleiro to fire the ball past Ronning. This half has been all Madrid so far and Malmo have a real mountain to climb to get back in this game. 2-1 to Madrid!

75th Minute

QyHdBvo.png

Oh my word, what a goal! Madrid patiently pass the ball around the back before working the ball out to Aké on the left hand side, the Dutchman plays a nice ball into Viní Jr's feet, and 30 yards out he turns, dribbles across the pitch hurtling past Arenal and leaving five Malmo players scrambling to get to him, before smashing a right footed shot from the edge of the box into the top right hand corner, you don't save those! Malmo really have their work cut out for them as Real Madrid have one hand firmly on their 16th Champions League title! 3-1 Madrid.

Full Time

And Daniele Orsato blows his whistle to bring an end to the 2026/27 Champions League final, and the fairytale story for Malmo ends here. Real Madrid run out 3-1 winners to lift the trophy again to extend their impressive record to 16! After a relatively even first half, Real Madrid's quality shined through in the second, with Malmo struggling to get a foothold in the game. Outside of the penalty and subsequent rebound, the Swedes struggled to create chances and the Spaniards took full advantage of the "Neutral" crowd. A brave effort from Di Blåe, but the young outfit weren't enough to beat the juggernaut that is Real Madrid, knocked out by them for the third year running.

5zJcNw9.jpg

vKVLKtd.png

Am I this desperate to win the CL next season? My current highest paid player is Bardghji at £28.5k p/w, but Schjelderup is a very good player, plus he may hopefully be good enough to convince Lopéz to discuss a new deal as he's currently holding out as the squad isn't good enough. On the other hand, £80k p/w is higher than 11 other Allsvenskan teams are paying their entire teams :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

4ZvAyer.png

2027 Season

Allsvenskan

Another record breaking season, notching the most points with 77, the most wins with 25, the most goals with 83 and most championships in a row with 5 (technically joint most league winners, but when Malmo did that in the 80s the league winner wasn't made Swedish Champion). Not much to say about this season as it was a familiar season really, good start with silly points dropped that kept challengers in the race, until we kicked into gear in the summer and romped to the title, although not quite sure what happened with the losses to Mjallby and Djurgardens. I basically have two squads now, one for the Champions League and one for the league, which makes keeping players happy not too much of an issue, and if anyone does get upset we're strong enough that I can just put them into the league line up for a while and not worry about it. I think now my focus needs to be fine tuning things for another tilt at the Champions League and hopefully persuading key players to stay.

Svenska Cupen

25/26 / 26/27

Again not much to say here, juggled the games during the Champions League Knockouts well and eased past most teams. The final was a bit of a tough game coming so soon after the disappointment of the Champions League final and Djurgardens are always tough despite my superiority as they are easily the second best team in the country, especially now they're getting money from good Europa League runs thanks to my earning a second CL qualifying spot. But we came through and secured another Cup win.

And on to the next edition, the reserve made easy work of Oskarshamns, which shouldn't be a surprise see many were starters just a couple seasons ago.

Champions League

So after coming so close last year, we made a disappointing start to this years edition, albeit one that is probably a bit more in line with my standing in Europe. Genk weren't too much of an issue to make the Champions League proper (and I believe the last time I'll need to qualify as Sweden now has a League place), and we made a good start against Nice, but then despite high-scoring affairs we couldn't get the better of Arsenal or Liverpool this time around. A dominating win against AaB helped restore my confidence, as did the late win against Leipzig and solid draw at home to Bayern, but we then entered the new year with two very disappointing draws, failing to capitilise on chances and grap a top 8 spot, especially the draw to Slovan Bratislava which we really should have swept aside with ease.

That means we're in to the knockout playoff to face Red Bull Salzburg, a team I should be able to beat and were once a potential candidate for this challenge as they reached the 22/23 semi final only to fall to Man City on their quest to ensure I would never manage them.

Transfers / Out 1 - 2

Not much was needed in terms of transfers so I focused on a few, quality additions, as well as loans out and moving on squad players. Jeppson was a youth player with little chance at the first team so I cashed in, Hussein had barely played and my HG numbers were up so I no longer had a use for him and took the profit. Williamsen hadn't quite developed like I had hoped, so was again happy to take a profit on letting him go to Antwerp, although he is a good CB, just a victim of the club growing faster than he did, and then Gudjohnsen was one I was a bit unsure on as he was a useful league player, but £4.4m was too much to turn down for him.

For incomings, Kévin Soriano was signed in January to bolster the midfield. He was attracting interest from the bigger teams in Europe, but I managed to get there just in time to snatch him up. I'm really hopeful that Soriano can be a key player for me as he already looks a good player with a lot more potential, and as much as I like Larsson, Jorgensen, Bellingham and Navarro, i'm not really sure they'll ever develop into CL winning standar players, whereas I think Soriano can. Third times the charm for Sebastian Nanasi! His contract was up at Roma, so I couldn't resist pick him up as a free squad option, although I'm not sure how much game time he'll get. Tobias Knudsen is a similar story to Soriano, although I'd been watching him a bit longer as the Scandinavian name jumped out when looking at English youth players. Big teams were circling as he'd requested to leave Derby, although I wasn't as quick this time around hence the massive wages, but I'm hopeful that he'll develop alongside Soriano to become my starring CMs. And then the record transfer, Andreas Schjelderup. As any FM23 save starts, I tried to buy him when I first started the save, but I couldn't compete with Arsenal, so I waited to see if he'd become available again, and he did! For £60m... so I waited some more and eventually Arsenal dropped his asking price down to £19.25m, and I decided to pull the trigger. It gives me a headache selection wise and the £80k p/w wages hurt to look at, but it's the sort of signing that will make me more competitive in Europe and makes me more confident by having good bench options whether is Schjelderup or whoever he's benched.

sVZVnnr.png

EURO28 Qualifiers

Table / Fixtures

An early loss to Hungary had me worried I might stumble in the qualifying group, but we managed to bounce back from it and put together some good results to walk the group, plus games such as Andorra and Gibraltar gave me an opportunity to try out some of Croatia's youth talent, with a couple decent prospects in there. Now it's a couple of friendlies v Spain and Czechia before crossing the Adriatic to hunt for my first International trophy in Italia 28!

bMrKF4H.jpg

oBcDbpx.jpg

ttu5jbL.jpg

2027-28 Champions League Knockout Playoff First Leg

2QqTIc6.png

cf7Bmf5.png

A good natured affair in which my players were in no way overly aggressive... It was a fantastic start to the tie, although it took a while to get in to gear, before Moleiro played a lovely curled ball behind the defnece for Akman to run on to and smash goalwards from just inside the box, which was actually a conflicting moment for me, as I was delighted to take the lead, but disappointed that Croatian starting GK, Ivo Grbic, had a shot hit right at him and he just deflected it into the net. Whilst we had the most of the chances and possession, it wasn't until the 62nd minute that we doubled the lead, when Keleba swung in a deep cross from the left hand side towards the back post after a few passes off a throw in, with López peeling off his marker and leaping above Salzburg's LB to put a header in the top corner. The third came in the 74th minute from a lovely bit of play by Maro Katinic who brought the ball out of the defence from RB then played a defence splitting ball for Akman, who took a few touches into the box then coolly slid the ball across goal from the edge of the 6 yard box. Then just two minutes later, Katinic got dispossessed on the edge of the Salzburg box and the ball fell to Soriano, who stopped on the ball, turned and fired a low shot from just outside the D right at Grbic, who fumbled the ball into the net for goal number 4. It's like he doesn't even want to go to Euro 28! A brilliant start to the tie and all but puts me through to the next round.

2027-28 Champions League Knockout Playoff Second Leg

y9vQRMR.png

JEyks2E.png

We're through, which is what matters, but this was a very frustrating game, one we should have won handily and the stats backed us up, but we were poor infront of goal and sloppy at the back. We could have taken the lead in the 41st minute after Gila headed a Moleiro corner on to the crossbar, and Szczpanik was there to tap in the loose ball, but he'd strayed fractioanlly offside, and we went to half time goalless. Then Salzburg got one back just after half time, after some quick passing down my left hand side, Sinisterra managed to find some space behind Keleba and was played through on goal before placing a very well finished shot in the opposite corner from the edge of the 6 yard box. I thought we'd managed to instantly reply as Hugo Larsson played a looping ball over the Salzburg defence into the box, which Bardghji took first time and smashed in to the bottom corner, but again the goal was ruled out for offside. I then began to fear my 4-0 lead was not as safe as I thought as Salzburg opened me up down the wing again, this time playing Okafor down the opposite wing for a nearly identical, mirrored goal, except Okafor curled his finish into the top corner not the bottom one. But we managed to keep control of the game and turn up the pressure, creating chance after chance but just failing to finish, and then in the 85th minute, Bardghji wrapped things up with a 25-yard free kick in to the top right corner. The second leg not as easy as I would have liked, but comfortably through in the end, and on to Liverpool in the next round.

2027-28 Champions League Round of 16 First Leg

hCw02mY.png

14lKCQM.png

A surprisingly even game given that Liverpool completely dominated the opening exchanges. They took the lead in the 24th minute, Robertson beating Bellingham down the left hand side to deliver a cross to the back post for 5'7" Mo Salah to beat 6'2" Keleba in the air and nod in the opener, not that I'm annoyed by it or anything. Just 4 minutes later Van Dijk doubled the lead, finding himself unmarked on a Salah corner, and head straight at Ronning who could only turn the ball into the side netting. We managed to pull one back immediately from our own corner, Diomandé's inswinging corner met by Szczpanik and fired past Alisson. We then managed to regain a measure of control in the game, but Liverpool were still firmly on top. We were much better in the second half, and managed to grab an equaliser just after the hour mark, Bellingham put in a low cross from the right hand side which was cut out by Fabinho, who then dawdled on the ball, allowing López to tackle him and pass back across goal for an open Akman to smash into the net.

2027-28 Champions League Round of 16 Second Leg

EvWQvHy.png

oPDyy8m.png

An oustanding first half where we really blew Liverpool away on the counter, taking the lead after Bardghji got on the end of a Bellingham through ball and nodded across to a wide open Moleiro on the six yard box to flick into the corner. In the 36th minute, Bardghji dispossessed Robertson to kick off some quick passing before Akman flicked it through for Bardghji, but Robertson managed to recover in time and win the ball back, only for his clearnace to sail over to the edge of the box for Schjelderup to fire on the volley in to the top corner. Just 5 minutes later I was in dreamland as Moleiro swung a free kick to the back post for Nazareno to meet with a header, but he could only hit the post, fortunately he was the first to react to the loose ball and managed to finish from a tight angle to make it 3-0 at HT! Liverpool were much better in the second half and we managed to keep them out well up until the 63rd minute, when a long cross field ball by Luiz Diaz evaded Zandén and ran through for Salah to finish at the near post and give Liverpool a foothold back in the game. The scond came 10 minutes later, again thanks to Luiz Diaz who went on a long run down the left hand side beating Katinic and cut the ball back to Joao Gomes, my scrambling defence was drawn in to Gomes who just laid off to a wide open Diogo Jota who placed a nice curled finish across goal to cut the lead to 1. Then with 3 minutes to go, the dagger came, after succesfully holding off wave after wave of Liverpool attack, reducing them to half chances, Roméo Lavia picked up a loose ball following a Moleiro tackle and attempted a through ball that was cut out by Academy propspect Achilleos, but the loose ball fell back to Lavia who lashed it from the D right into the top corner almost taking the net off, we had thrown away our lead and were going to extra time with the momentum firmly going Liverpool's way. One last dice roll, Fontán played down the wing to Haksabanovic, who held it up and played Moleiro in behind, but Konaté managed to reach the ball first and clear across goal, but only as far as Diomandé who played it back to Moleiro. With three players on him, Moleiro dribbled across the D and on his right foot, just as the final second of the added 5 minutes was up, he hit a long range effort that cannoned off the underside of the bar. The most dramatic and last second-est winner I've ever had, a winner with literally the last kick of the game, we were through to the Quarter Finals!

26/27 Champions League Quarter Final First Leg

8gyNMve.png

Nr8rYic.png

A game where the momentum swung heavily between the two teams, starting with Barca after Jorgensen brought down Uip in the box whilst jockeying the winger to the byline, Ronning was unable to repeat his shootout heroics as Kokcu sent him the wrong way and placed the ball in the bottom right hand corner. We were quickly 2 down as Gavi played Hudson-Odoi down the left wing, where he left Arenal for dead and cut the ball back to a wide open Ferran Torres who swept the ball past Ronning. Barca kept up the pressure but we managed to claw our way back into the game, and finally in the 41st minute, Bardghji's passs to Soriano on the right hand edge of the box was cut out byu Araujo, but it fell back to Bardghji who curled a first time effort in to the far hand top corner with one of the best finished I'vce seen on this save, a magical goal to get us back in it, then we burst out the blocks in the second half as Bardghji's cross field ball found Moleiro on the left, who took on Koundé and then played a low ball in to Akman, who hit a first time shot past Ter Stegen. As much as I would like to say that resulted in a period of sustained pressure from us, it just galvanised Barca to get back in the match, and they started creating chance after chance, until Hudson-Odoi once again got free down the left and played a driven cross along the six yard box, as Uip darted in from the right wing to tap the ball in unmarked. Deserved losers, but happy to come away with a 1 goal deficit.

26/27 Champions League Quarter Final Second Leg

ba9BwDo.png

MaeS5EX.png

You ever get the feeling you've seen something before? A bit of Déjà vu? Well that's what I felt when we gave away a penalty in the exact same minute as the first leg! This time López pushed Araújo on a corner, and once again Kokcu put the ball past Ronning, this time to the other side and in the top corner. Luckily we responded well, as Bardghji, not happy with just scoring one ridiculous goal in this tie, got on the end of a Soriano through ball and whilst running away from goal hooked a first time volley on his weaker foot, from in line with the 6 yard box and half way to the edge of the box back across goal and into the top corner. THIS was in fact the best goal I have ever seen on this save, the best I think I've ever seen on FM. We then levelled the tie in the 23rd minute, with Bardghji receiving a pass from Jorgensen and deftly turning the ball round the corner with a first time pass into López, who couldn't miss when through on goal and hammered the ball into the net. We took the lead just before half time in the 41st minute, a Bardghji free kick towards the back post was met by Soriano but saved by Ter Stegen. It fell back to Soriano on the byline and he cut the ball back past Ter Stegen for López to tap into an empty net (Can you already guess which three players played out of their skin and ran the show in this game?). Second half and we carried on as we ended the first, cutting Barca apart on the counter, Soriano playing a beautiful ball from deep to find the run of Moleiro through the middle. Clearly annoyed that Bardghji was getting the credit for all his bangers, Moleiro took one touch as he was through on goal, then chipped the ball over the onrushing Ter Stegen into the far top corner off the post. We weren't just beating Barca, we were doing so in real style! Then on the hour mark, Bardghji played a ball in behind for López, who when through on goal unselfishly squared the ball for Moleiro to tap into an empty net and send me absolutely giddy!

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116551d7a43772e16812

Oh, and then Akman chop tackled Stiller from behind to get himself sent off in the 85th minute, but I didn't care at this point :D

We return to the semi's, this time to face Newcastle, so at least if I lose there's the chance of a new candidate for this challenge!

2027-28 Champions League Semi Final First Leg

s0LhZoh.png

ER9NwUF.png

A bore draw. Really not much to say about this game, iot was cagey from start to finish and neither side created decent chancesm the best coming late on as López got through on goal and hit a shot right at the keeper, but he was surrounded by Newcastle players so it wasn't really an easy chance.

2027-28 Champions League Semi Final Second Leg

VemdmuU.png

SY9cR8R.png

Well, where was this in Malmo!? This game may have been low scoring but it was the exact opposite of the first leg with chances galore for both sides. We managed to deal the first blow after 150 minutes of the tie, Moleiro finding Bardghji on the left hand side of the box from deep, who nodded it back down to Akman to hit a left footed half volley off the post and into the net. We'd put one foot in the final, but just like buses, you wait two and a half hours for a goal, and then you get two at once as Isak pegged us back four minutes later. Isak started the move off by playing a ball down the wing to Mudryk, who beat Arenal then cut it back to Isak as he arrived in the box and smashed the ball across goal and past Ronning. Both teams had chances to win the game, but neither side managed to take them, and we arrived at our second semi-final shootout in two seasons. Schjelderup stepped up first and despite Carnesecchi getting a hand to the ball, he gave us the lead. Then Jarrod Bowen stepped up for Newcastle to face down 10-foot tall, mattress handed Tim Ronning, and of course he couldn't beat the penalty hero himself! Ronning has really written himself into Malmo legend these past two season with important save after important save, he's been a rock in the sticks! The penalty shootout then carried on with just waulity penalties, 7 that left either keeper with no chance of saving them, all buried in the corners of the net, with Alberto Moleiro stepping up last and sending Carnesecchi the wrong way to send us to Dortmund!

A second final in a row, I am buzzing! Another magical run with some amazing results, but I can't help but notice that Real Madrid are in the other semi. Oh well, time to get knocked out by them for the fourth season in a row...

euMmYKU.png

43T2CjY.png

JD1sU0S.png

2027-28 Champions League Final

ZatofZo.png  V4ZvAyer.png

BVB Stadion Dortmund, Dortmund

Starting Line-Ups

Paris Saint-Germain

GK - Gianluigi Donnarumma

RB - Archaf Hakimi

CB - Marquinhos

CB - Enzo Boyomo

LB - Nuno Mendes

DM - Youri Tielemans

DM - Presnel Kimpembe

RW - Harvey Elliott

LW - Cody Gakpo

ST - Charles De Ketelaere

ST - Kylian Mbappé

Malmo FF

GK - Tim Ronning

RB - Lander Arenal

CB - Mario Gila (c)

CB - Patricio Nazareno

LB - Richard Jean-Caliste Keleba

CM - Kévin Soriano

CM - Tobias Knudsen

RW - Roony Bardghji

LW - Alberto Moleiro

SS - Francisco Lopéz

ST - Ali Akman

JD1sU0S.png

First Half

8th Minute

A cagey start from both teams here, but Malmo win the ball in midfield and look to keep possession at the back. The ball eventually finds Soriano, who takes a few touches and finds Bardghji near the half way line, and that's a lovely first time pass on to López. López dribbles the ball down the right and into the box, shakes off the challenge from Boyomo and plays the ball across goal, and finds Akman attacking the front post! THERE'S THE OPENING GOAL FOR MALMO!!! Ali Akman slots home from the edge of the six yard box and Malmo take the lead early for the second year in a row, can they hold on this time?

FisGoid.png

16th Minute

Malmo playing patiently here, as Arenal rides the challenges from Tielemans and Gakpo to play the ball back to Soriano, into López on the edge of the box and he tries a flicked ball to Akman but Marquinhos cuts it out easily and heads back to Donnarumma. Donnarumma rolls it out to Marquinhos, who plays it wide to Hakimi. Up the line to Elliott whos cuts it back inside to De Ketelaere whos open on the half way line. Turns. He spots the run by Mbappé! The PSG captain is through on goal now, no-one is catching him as he bears down on Ronning, into the box now and what a save from Ronning who tips it around the post, the entire stadium expecting to see the net bulge as Mbappé latched onto the through ball. Corner to PSG.

Elliott swings in the corner but it's headed away by Gila and Malmo clear the ball.

26th Minute

A long throw from Hakimi is dealt with by Nazareno, and he closes down the follow up too. He plays a simple pass to López, he switches the play to Bardghji on the right hand side. Mendes closes down and Bardghji lays it back to Arenal, first time ball back down the wing for Bardghji to chase, he beats Mendes and cuts back onto his left foot, oh and what a pass that is to split the defence from out wide, right into the path of Akman, one touch, and it's 2-0!!! Akman doubles his and Malmo's tally, and Malmo have really taken control of this game with some incisive counter attacking! PSG barely have time to get back into position before Malmo have pounced, they are putting on a clinic here!

FisGoid.png

29th Minute

Malmo knock the ball around the defence, but in the end Gila is forced to go long. Hakimi wins the header and now it's PSG's turn to try some patient build up play. They pass it around the midfield and find Elliott as he comes inside, he plays it forward to Mbappé but he can't quite control it and Gila clears the ball to Bardghji. He lays it off to Soriano, but he's caught in possession by Gakpo! Gakpo goes wide, cuts back and plays it to Tielemans 30 yards out. Tielemans brings it past Knudsen, approaches the box and then curls an effort at goal, and it's in! PSG have halved the deficit with a fantastic strike from Youri Tielemans! It beats the defenders and all Ronning can do is turn the ball into the net. He'll be disappointed with that but it was a great strike from the Belgian. Game on!!!

T0vOxB0.png

38th Minute

López lays the ball back to Soriano on the centre circle. Soriano takes a touch then curls a ball down the right for Bardghji to chase. Bardghji carries into the box and Mendes manages to get a foot in, but Bardghji wins the loose ball back off Kimpembe and passes to Soriano on the edge of the box. Soriano on his left foot shoots! Blocked by Kimpembe, it cannons to Hakimi who can't control it! MOLEIRO!!! Moleiro pounces on the mistake by Hakimi and strikes a shot first time from the middle of the box into the bottom corner, Malmo have restored their two goal lead!

FisGoid.png

Half Time

And Willie Collum blows up to bring an end to a breathtaking first half! An early lead taken by the returning Swedes, but they don't let the lead slip this time as they took control of the game. Tielemans did give the French Champions some hope, but they really have been second best so far and Malmo's lightning counter attacks didn't take long to restore their lead. Can Lucien Favre get into his team at half time to turn this around?

JD1sU0S.png

Second Half

47th Minute

PSG earn a dangerous free kick out on the left early in this second half, the perfect angle for a ball across the box. Elliott stands over it. Whipped towards Gakpo at the bacl of the box but Keleba is there to win the header. It falls to Moleiro and Malmo can break now. Moleiro has runners with him. The Spaniard keeps carrying forward, it must be a 50 yard run by now, he lays it off to Bardghji in space on his right, into the box! But Marquinhos does really well to cover and get the block in. He holds up Bardghji on the wing and wins the ball back. Now PSG can counter as he finds Elliott up field, it's 3 on 2. Elliott beats Nazareno and plays it forward to Mbappé, a drop of his shoulder and he goes around GIla, through on goal! Oh and what a waste by Mbappé as he fires back across goal he hits it way over the bar and that will never trouble Ronning. What a start to the second half here, it looks like we're in for another furious, blood and thunder half, even those of you sat at home will be winded by the end of this!

54th Minute

Oh some lovely passing here by PSG, as they knock the ball around the half way line whilst being harried by the tireless Malmo pressers, but they manage to beat the press and find De Ketelaere in the middle of the Malmo half unmarked. He turns and plays a CB splitting ball into Mbappé, through on goal only Ronning to beat! And he will kick himself for that! 1-1, he should have made it 3-2, but he opens his body and somehow manages to fire high and wide at the near post instead of across goal. That's two great opportunities missed by the Parisian, it should really be 3-3!

55th Minute

Ronning takes the goal kick long towards Akman. He beats Marquinhos in the air and flicks it to Moleiro, first time pass into López's path! He bears down on goal and oh my word! Malmo are in dreamland!!! López places a driven shot from the edge of the box past Donnarumma to take the score to 4-1 just moments after Mbappé fluffed his lines at the other end! It's all going right for Malmo and all going wrong for PSG at the moment, this is turning into a magical night for Malmo!

FisGoid.png

61st Minute

Malmo on the counter with Moleiro here, but Elliott manages to get back and wrestle him from the ball. A bit of quick passing at the back and Marquinhos finds De Ketelaere upfield. He takes beat, turns Keleba and plays Elliott into the space left by the full backs press. Elliott brings it down the right, reaches the edge of the box but Keleba has managed to scramble back and hold him up. Elliott turn and plays it to Hakimi on the support run, he goes past Knudsen and Moleiro into the box, to the byline, cuts back past Nazareno and shoots! Good save by Ronning to turn it over the bar. PSG have responded well to the goal and are starting to mount some pressure here.

62nd Minute

Elliott comes across to take the corner from the left. Outswinger aimed at the edge of the six yard box and De Ketelaere leaps highest, and it's a goal! De Ketelaere flicks the ball across goal and it loops over Ronning into the side netting. Malmo were caught napping on that corner and PSG aren't quite out of this game yet! 4-2.

T0vOxB0.png

64th Minute

Nazareno cuts out Neymar's cross towards De Ketelaere. The ball falls to Gila, who plays it out wide to Arenal. Long ball down the line for Bardghji, he beats Mendes to the ball, brings it forward and takes on Kimpembe. Cuts back and creates some space for him self, and lays it back across the box into López's path. Unmarked and ooh that's close! López fires it at the top left hand corner and the ball whistles past the wrong side of the post. Malmo were inches from retaking a three goal lead. The action in this game is far from over!

74th Minute

Nazareno with the free kick just inside the Malmo half. He plays it wide to Keleba, oh but it's short! Elliott nips in and wins the ball. Passes to De Ketelaere, returns out to the right as Elliott runs to the wing. He cuts back and bisects Keleba and Jorgensen. Into the box from the right wing, squares up to shoot! And Ronning pulls off another great save to turn it over the bar. What a goal that would have been from Elliott. Neymar with the corner, swung to the back post but Nazareno heads it away. Vitinha is the first to get to the loose ball. Played back to Tielemans near the edge of the box. Takes a shot. Block but now th ball is bobbling in the centre of the box! A real scramble here to get to the ball! And Arenal ends up clearing it, but the flag goes up in the end anyway, Mbappé was offside from Tielemans' shot. Malmo living a bit dangerously there.

80th Minute

Jorgensen trots over to the left to take this corner. He's not rushing to take it. He eventually swings it toward the near post. Nazareno!! Off the post and out for a goal kick! PSG will count themselves lucky there, Nazareno was given a free header and Donnarumma was rooted to the floor. We enter the last ten minutes, can PSG overturn this two goal deficit?

92nd Minute

Corner to Malmo. Diomandé urged by the ref to hurry over to take it, and then by the assistant too as he stands over it. Malmo are really taking their time over everything as this game nears it's end. Diomandé eventually takes it, inswinger to the centre of the six-yard box, LARSSON!!!!!! Oh what a fairytale end to this game! The Malmo academy player, the Malmo captain, the local hero, he rises highest and powers a header off the underside of the bar to make it 5-2 to Malmo, and surely seals this game! The Malmo fans are delirious in the stands, the players and coaching staff don't know what to do with themselves, they have one hand on the trophy.

FisGoid.png

94th Minute

Corner to PSG. Taken by Neymar, but Gila is there to head it away. Schjelderup heads it out of the box, but Vitinha is there to pick up the loose ball. He plays it Neymar drifting in from the wing. No-one comes to challenge the Brazillian, at the edge of the six-yard box and fires across goal, and it smashes off the post into the bottom corner! That makes it 5-3 but it's all too little too late for PSG, with just 2 minutes left in this game, there surely isn't enough time to mount a comeback.

T0vOxB0.png

Full Time

Willie Collum blows his whistle and brings and end to an absolute classic of a final, this game will be talked about for decades to come! Malmo are the winners in a 5-3 scorefest, the first Scandinavian winners of the competition, at the third time of asking. The players are in heaps on the floor, PSG's from another disappointing final loss, Malmo's from sheer joy. The Malmo bench is completely cleared out as the celebrations begin for the Swedes, a celebration I'm sure will go long into the night!

After a terrific game and a terrific run to the final, Malmo are the 2027-28 Champions League Winners!

SVWzC5V.png

WpDLJKO.png

BDbNuu3.png

Jy5NEMV.jpg