Creating A Tactic Using Role Combinations

Here is what the team looks like in the build up phase (first preseason match)....

457fgdhrgh35.jpg.fd494b16d2bcb90a3f0b71c7bc421aa2.jpg

We're in blue (obviously, Chelsea) and the other team is in white.  4-3-3 vs. 4-4-2. 

Notice how deep their CM's are protecting their defense. Let's see if our creative midfielders can be effective against that type of thing.

Also, note the huge space in between their forwards and CM's.

324fdvgd66342xz.jpg.88f58c87718c718c31eb87557d40f55d.jpg

Now the next few seconds, you see Lukaku drop into midfield to support play (remember he's a PF-A but still does this)

Look at the circled spaces. This is what we want to see. Space!  He played the ball out wide to Sterling (IW-A) who then lost possession on a bad first touch. No big deal.

345dsd7733nnws54.jpg.8066853af8d88e1d1f5fc85354a0b9d6.jpg

Here's a move that resulted in a fantastic chance (shot was saved).  The other team is defending quite wide. So what does Reece James do? He plays a beauty of a pass to Mount, who takes a touch, and slides a through ball between the defenders for the onrushing Sterling.  *chefs kiss*

5 hours ago, bababooey said:

if we show their wide defenders on to their opposite foot, does that negate the effect of the pressing trap, or does it perhaps enhance it?

I might seem counterintuitive to what you’re trying to do but it could still work if you’re maybe going to tight mark the players in the middle and tackle them hard so they can’t receive the ball in the first place so the fullbacks has only the option to play a long pass. 
The alternative is to show them wide but you’ll be leaving them to move up the pitch and potentially double up on your fullbacks if your wide players don’t come back to defend 

How are you planning to defend against teams that play with 2 strikers and an attacking midfielder? 
you might not come against a lot of teams that play like that in the premier league but you will come across it a lot in serie A

1 minute ago, DarJ said:

How are you planning to defend against teams that play with 2 strikers and an attacking midfielder? 
you might not come against a lot of teams that play like that in the premier league but you will come across it a lot in serie A

Well, it depends on the context. Is it a team that is better than us, away from home? Then I would make some changes.

Is it a team that isn't better than us? I would stick with what we do and adjust if needed. We can easily mark an AMC out of a game, which would really impact the attack of a team playing something narrow like a 4-3-1-2.

Here's a screenshot of our passing combinations in a recent friendly match.

What you can't see here, is the number of key passes. We had 20 of them.

4532fetdfgt5fgff.jpg.dab199ce864d3ee41075545a75824adf.jpg

HOWEVER. The problem I see, is we're not accomplishing our goal of creating quality over quantity.

We are generating a lot of key passes, but these look more like crosses than passes to me. And, we're not yet generating those high value clear cut chances. Or even half chances!

14 of our 20 key passes were sideways. That is not what we're looking for, ideally. I want to see more variation there, and I think this confirms my suspicion that we're basically just slamming home crosses.

We need to make some adjustments. 

234dfsds5rjghfjghd756ueeyru.thumb.jpg.88bd44d1b970a3cfc7df816025380a15.jpg

Okay so following up on my last post.  I've overlaid key passes with crosses completed. As you can (kinda) see here, this is exactly what I thought I was seeing.

Basically, the vast majority of our key passes are actually just crosses. That is not what we want. We want to probe and control. This is like... dominant wing back.

So changes will be made here. I'm just not sure exactly what I'm going to change just yet.

4 hours ago, DarJ said:

There's quite a bit of 3-4-2-1's with 2 AM's in my save in England. If I'm home and expected to win, I typically start with a switch to a 4-2-3-1 and a mid block with an anchor man or DMd playing on the side of the AM that pushes forward and a DLPs on the other. It accomplishes twothings.

One it gives the opposition a chance to vacate the space I want to attack. Playing a high line against a team who is content to sit in or sparingly counter doesn't accomplish much imo. They're not going to take many risks so putting them in positions to only take risks causes them to just hoof it away. What we want is for them to move up the field enough for us to actually hit them on the counter if we can win it in midfield. 

Two it gives me a 4-3 numerical advantage at the back and lets my fullbacks/wingbacks push up higher to overload the outside, Having one of the fullbacks on attack duty is key to the overload I leave the other on support for balance. And if you're confident in your defense you can put him on the DLPs side to really cause headaches with overload down that flank. Their AM is forced to decide to either mark the DLPs and make it a 3-2 at the back or let the DLPs dictate the game when I'm in possession. I'll also pull my forward into the AM strata as a CompFwd(s) if I have a player capable or DLFs/PFs/F9 otherwise. Playing through the middle of this formation is impossible so creating some movement between a CF and AM to force their central CB to make a decision is a good way to open up space for an IF/IW/AMa/SS who can get behind one of the other two CB's. 

I don't have the slightest idea if that's right but it works for me most games. 

I’m fascinated to see how this pans out for you. As a huge Chelsea fan, I’ve tried and failed with Chelsea on this years FM. Can’t seem to make anything work, but I’m starting to think that it’s just Chelsea aren’t very good on the game. I’ve noticed that in nearly everyone’s posts when posting league table positions etc… you always see Chelsea mid table across the board. Now I’m not saying they are impossible to manage but it’s definitely something I’ve noticed a lot when reading other peoples posts or when looking at videos of people posting their tactics 

2 hours ago, Sarriball14 said:

I’m fascinated to see how this pans out for you. As a huge Chelsea fan, I’ve tried and failed with Chelsea on this years FM. Can’t seem to make anything work, but I’m starting to think that it’s just Chelsea aren’t very good on the game. I’ve noticed that in nearly everyone’s posts when posting league table positions etc… you always see Chelsea mid table across the board. Now I’m not saying they are impossible to manage but it’s definitely something I’ve noticed a lot when reading other peoples posts or when looking at videos of people posting their tactics 

Chelsea are fascinating in this year's edition of FM, as well as in real life as you know...

When I started this project, I took over in late july '22 so we didn't have much preseason left, and the schedule for Chelsea for the first half of the year was B R U T A L.

I tried messing around with a 4-2(dm)-3-1 and had very mixed results. Loaned in Giroud to play striker, sold off Thiago Silva (he's too slow to play in my system), and Real Madrid bought Jorginho b/c he wouldnt renew his contract with us.

Major changes!  But.... We recovered well and finished 4th, AND got to both the FA Cup semi's and Champions League semi's.  I used a 4-1-4-1 defensive system in tough away matches to help us along the way.

Now that I've had a full preseason, and a bunch of squad changes, things are looking very promising.  I'm going to do another reply here detailing what is going on.

Interesting development.  We have changed a few more roles and duties to give what I think, and hope, will be better balance to the team AND better suit the goal of possession football....

245dfdfjh345fdgfsd.jpg.a916a70a2759311f0dc59718735b1ce3.jpg

We've also changed to "positive" mentality because I felt like we just weren't taking on enough risk.

See how sometimes the ideas you had going into this can end up being off?  I have tweaked a good amount since the initial post. I think it's very hard to get things exactly right on the first attempt.

So far, we're doing very well. But I'm disappointed with a couple of draws we had PRIOR TO tweaking things to what you see above.

Hopefully this will give us more of what we want.

"Nobody on your flanks is on attack, how will this work?!?!??"  Well, let's see...

10 hours ago, bababooey said:

Interesting development.  We have changed a few more roles and duties to give what I think, and hope, will be better balance to the team AND better suit the goal of possession football....

245dfdfjh345fdgfsd.jpg.a916a70a2759311f0dc59718735b1ce3.jpg

We've also changed to "positive" mentality because I felt like we just weren't taking on enough risk.

See how sometimes the ideas you had going into this can end up being off?  I have tweaked a good amount since the initial post. I think it's very hard to get things exactly right on the first attempt.

So far, we're doing very well. But I'm disappointed with a couple of draws we had PRIOR TO tweaking things to what you see above.

Hopefully this will give us more of what we want.

"Nobody on your flanks is on attack, how will this work?!?!??"  Well, let's see...

Any player instructions?

@bababooeyI am gonna kick start a new series on playmaker combos with the express purpose of overloading areas and to create cross diagonal chances. And definitely gonna be linking back to ur thread cos I think there are some interesting ways they can work. Looking forward to seeing how your journey unfolds.

12 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

@bababooeyI am gonna kick start a new series on my playmaker combos with the express purpose of overloading areas and to create cross diagonal chances. And definitely gonna be linking back to ur thread cos I think there are some interesting ways they can work. Looking forward to seeing how your journey unfolds.

Honestly, I'm feeling a bit jaded about it. We just aren't scoring goals at the rate I was hoping for. It's left me wondering if the players I have just aren't up to it.

Sterling, Havertz, Lukaku, Mount, Enzo Fernandez, Reece James, Asensio, Pulisic, etc. 

It's just so inconsistent. We also don't dominate enough games for my liking. Some of our team statistics are quite good, in terms of progressive passes and final 3rd passes.

But we are getting dusted in "high intensity sprints" for example.

Media prediction has us finishing 3rd so maybe my expectations are too high?

345ghfchwss8i67568zsd.jpg.1948bfaf797a921195b954f69c35051f.jpg

3564esn76a.jpg.69af31aee800e976f25f94e9049507d8.jpg

We have less goals scored than freakin' Nottingham Forest.  I mean, no offense to fans of the trees, but that's ridiculous.

Part of this is down to conversion rates. City, for example is at 18% which is nuts. That will even out eventually, we're down there at 11%.

Without our 3 goals from corners I'd be even more concerned, quite frankly.

It's like the only way we can generate chances is via crossing. We lead the league in crossing % which is nice.

But I dont want to play that way. Crosses are, IMO low-value chances.

Edited by bababooey

What are are your tempo settings, personally I dont like using the trap instructions, preferring instead to use OIs. It doesn't mean that I am adapting to how the opp plays. When using OIs the pressing angle instructions when we show players onto specific feet can also force them to go wide or narrow., You are also spending a lot of time building up play from what I can tell from the roles and duties without really attacking the space. Perhaps the IF on the right should be on attack duty.  The striker is a DLF(A) who plays through balls forward, but against teams that are defending you wont see him getting as many chances to do that since your roles are on support.

9 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

What are are your tempo settings, personally I dont like using the trap instructions, preferring instead to use OIs. It doesn't mean that I am adapting to how the opp plays. When using OIs the pressing angle instructions when we show players onto specific feet can also force them to go wide or narrow., You are also spending a lot of time building up play from what I can tell from the roles and duties without really attacking the space. Perhaps the IF on the right should be on attack duty.  The striker is a DLF(A) who plays through balls forward, but against teams that are defending you wont see him getting as many chances to do that since your roles are on support.

I've been using the lowest possible tempo. And I've been playing without any pressing traps except OI's the last couple of matches.  I just don't like how it works right now, which is a shame!

I'm thinking of stripping this down a bit and removing some instructions....

Balanced Mentality

Shorter Passing, Play out of Defense, Be More Expressive  (and that's it)

Counter-press, (no selection for counter or hold shape)

High press, higher line, prevent GK dist, step up more (and that's it)

This way I can focus in more on the roles and stop trying to create a super specific approach.

I'm not getting enough from Mount or James, two of my key players. I need to figure out how to get them going.

**edit** maybe something like this:

34fgsdfjh3456yrtse.jpg.24fcdcf75134ce492bf1f8ec821e8a2a.jpg

Edited by bababooey

I play a similar system on a positive mentality. Instructions are:-

Short passing

Play out of defence

Low crosses

Work ball into box

High LOE

Much higher defensive line

Press more

Prevent short GK distribution

In terms of roles & duties I have the same as above apart from:

LB as CWB-S

RCM as BWM-S/CM-S

LCM as AP-S/MEZ-S

AMR as IF-S

CF as AF-A/PF-A

Have found that CFs have scored consistently, both my 2 main options have around 30 goals for the season.

13 hours ago, bababooey said:

I've been using the lowest possible tempo. And I've been playing without any pressing traps except OI's the last couple of matches.  I just don't like how it works right now, which is a shame!

I'm thinking of stripping this down a bit and removing some instructions....

Balanced Mentality

Shorter Passing, Play out of Defense, Be More Expressive  (and that's it)

Counter-press, (no selection for counter or hold shape)

High press, higher line, prevent GK dist, step up more (and that's it)

This way I can focus in more on the roles and stop trying to create a super specific approach.

I'm not getting enough from Mount or James, two of my key players. I need to figure out how to get them going.

**edit** maybe something like this:

34fgsdfjh3456yrtse.jpg.24fcdcf75134ce492bf1f8ec821e8a2a.jpg

I would swap Mount and Fernandez in this system and put Sterling on IF(a) and possibly Fernandez on CM(s) (Possibly with the stay wider and/or take more risk/more direct passes PIs - game by game, player by player decision). Fernandez Havertz and James (Plus Lukaku & Kante in some situations) will all be occupying the same area. I think that's too many. There's no outlet to move out of the right side of the pitch without hitting a long ball to either Mount or Sterling. I get what you're trying to do in theory but you've compressed the area where your playmaker is too much. 

In attack with your current formation you'll look something like:

Sterling   Mount       -                            -                 -

-               -           Lukaku                     -              James

-                -         Fernandez         Havertz            -

Chilwell               -        Kante            -                    -

There's no real release valve here for Havertz. It'll get very congested around Havertz and result in a lot of hopeful hurried diagonals rather than pin pointed killer passes.

Instead you want it to look like this

Sterling      -                -                   Mount             -

-               -            Lukaku                 -              James

-        Fernandez       -              Havertz             -

Chilwell        -        Kante            -                    -

Now you have at least two ways to attack the oppostition by pulling the defense towards Havertz but also giving him room to operate.

the primary way is to release Mount and James down the right and potentially play 2v1 or 2v2 with the idea they can square/cross to Sterling (I'd put low crosses on as a TI). Lukaku is also going arrive late in the area with a full head of steam if the play makes it down the to byline. 

The second way is if Havertz gets the ball into Fernandez and the defense is napping, ball watching etc... Sterling could have a through ball between the RB and RCB (who might be focused Lukaku or Mount). 

The key is recognizing your strategy to score with this idea is isolate Sterling against a RB. So tactically we want to pull their defense towards the right side of the pitch as much as possible without congesting the area for our creative players and give each player an opportunity to make progressive passes.

We are currently playing some REALLY liquid football. I'm pleased, for now anyway lol. I've made some additional tweaks and this is our main approach now:

342efgfxdvnb567fgsd.jpg.3e88eb7940d10db27cb1c6c627a9ac08.jpg

And here is how this looks in the attacking phase, which I think is something you really want to see because understanding how players move in different phases is key to understanding tactics.

456fghdytfghsd45we6.jpg.9d9329df17ce2f4cc4dfb45aa7c6e831.jpg

Normally, on a positive mentality, I might limit myself to using 2 attack duties. This is foolish. You can't assume that there is a proper number of "attack", "support" or "defend" duties for a given mentality.

It all depends on what you're trying to do, and what your team is capable of.  If I assigned 3 attack duties, 4 support duties, and 3 defend duties, I would expect to see more of a "possession" style and less of a "direct" approach.

If I assigned 1 attack duty, 6 support and 3 defend, we would *definitely* be trying to keep hold of the ball for long periods, and the system might not be very potent going for goal.

So it all depends, basically.

Well folks, this project crashed and burned. I resigned early January in my second season.

Managing in the Premier League is a slog. There are no breaks. Overpowered teams (City + Liverpool). Overall, just a miserable experience.

I hate Chelsea anyway. Let it burn.

19 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Nope. I genuinely hate managing in the premier league in FM. It's just a slog. It's such a miserable experience.

In over 20 years, I've only managed in the PL once, with a lowest league save where I got to the top for the one and only time with FM17 IIRC. I soon got bored.

On 15/01/2023 at 00:12, bababooey said:

Well folks, this project crashed and burned. I resigned early January in my second season.

Managing in the Premier League is a slog. There are no breaks. Overpowered teams (City + Liverpool). Overall, just a miserable experience.

I hate Chelsea anyway. Let it burn.

Currently just over half way through my 2nd season with Utd and it is pretty tough. Although managed to finish 3rd and win the FA Cup (beat Pool semi-final and City in the final) I was a fair bit behind Liverpool who just blew everyone away. Scoring well over 100 goals in the process. 

This season had started pretty poor, especially away from home, where my main tactic was far too attacking and left far too many gaps in the middle and in behind. Have now changed to a much more solid starting tactic which is still scoring a decent amount of goals but conceding far less. Think it is something like 12 wins and 1 loss (Pool at home 1-0) since changing. Now very much in contention for the title but it could be any one from five (including West Ham!!!).

Anyway, hopefully I have found the right tactic that just needs the occasional tweak going forward. 

I have not signed a single player over 18 as well as it is a self imposed rule to make it slightly more difficult (well in the earlier years at least). I was contemplating using the academy only but thought I may get bored as I do like scouting for young upcoming players.

On 12/01/2023 at 13:36, Sarriball14 said:

Agree, haven't seen anyone success with Chelsea in FM23 (i don't count the "holiday-through-a-whole-season-fake-tactics")

In pre-season the team play fantastic with the tactic you setup but when the season starts everything is gone! Nothing works and you get trashed by almost every team you are up against. (lucky to get a draw)

I stopped playing the game before X-mas, no fun, no good and hope the 2024 version is better.

Keep on trying and keep up your good work 

On 17/01/2023 at 22:46, bababooey said:

Germany, Spain, Portugal and Italy. 

As much as I love Arsenal, I stopped managing in the EPL back in FM20. It is, as you say, a slog, and after a while I found the almost perpetual rain in matches depressing. I managed in Spain in FM21 and Italy in 22. Doing a journeyman save in 23 that started in Brazil and now has moved to Spain. Aiming for either France or Germany for the next phase.