Why am I not winning games?

I have a team full of 4.5-5 star players. I have won the league once and the UCL once in this save (5 seasons). Every game I play, I have 20-2 shots on target and 55-60% ball possession. I also usually have way more clear cut chances than my opponents. My main striker is Gabriel Jesus. Now with these stats one would think winning games should be easy. It´s not. I usually get one or more disallowed goals per game and end up drawing 50% of matches even though the stats clearly says I am outplaying my opponent in every way. It feels like some sort of bug at this point. 

• SI Staff

If you can send in your save game then I'd be happy to take a look - its very hard to figure something like that out from a brief paragraph - especially as you're now 5 years in the future, if Jesus has had injuries then the player aged 30 might not be the same player he is today etc.

My guess from what you've indicated is that you're now the 'dominant' team in the league (?) and smaller teams are sitting back and hitting you on the break, that combined with what sounds like attacking tactics (ie. you're being caught offside a lot) means that sometimes you're sucker punched ... it is VERY difficult to be consistent against teams who play defensively (ask Graeme Potter ;) )... I'd recommend when that happens sit back a little more, play counter attacking and draw them out from their defense rather than attacking and piling on top of them etc.

(but each to their own and there are no perfect solutions in soccer)

How do I send my save game to you?

My team:
Jesus
Gapko - Musiala - Saka
Rice - Bellingham
Gvardiol - Scalvani - de Ligt - Livramento
Ramsdale

More or less a dream team :)
My tactics (Individual):
Complete forward
Inner forward - Shadow Striker - Inner forward
B2B midfielder - Central midfielder
Fullback - Ball playing defender x2 - Full back
Sweeper keeper

Mentality: Attacking
Width: Narrow
Tempo: Normal
Creative freeedom: Expressive
High defensive line
Closing down all over
Tackling Normal
Offside trap Yes
Tiem wasting No

Look for overlap
Work into box
Through balls

Passign style: Mixed
GK dist. Short

Edited by Celavie

• SI Staff

If you want to go 'attacking' then I'd suggest you give your wide players more support by using wingbacks ... otherwise as mentioned I'd use counter attacking or similar to try and draw the opposition out from defense a little more (basically do you want to overpower (ie. attack) or use guile (counter attack) ).

Other things to consider - your high defensive line is probably why you've getting 'sprung' now and again - look for overlap really cries out for wingbacks as otherwise its less likely to be active often.

Details of how to upload saves can be found here - 

I find starting with creative freedom as normal and then adjusting it if we aren't winning is helpful. Also adjusting the tempo and approach play can help too. You might be having 22 shots, but they might be low quality. 

I've also used a WB on one side and a FB on the other side to try and add some defensive balance. I also have a IF and a W in the advance roles. This is with overlap and focus on wings turned on. I also play wide which might be unwise but seems to work. 

I've always had trouble getting in higher levels of shots in Mobile FM, and this approach has resulted in a good improvement in goals scored for my glory game with AC Milan. I'd advise making small tweeks. 

Far from an expert just to be clear. :D

Also I've never had any luck on full FM or mobile with work ball into the box. 

Edited by BristolCity1992

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2023 at 20:20, BristolCity1992 said:

I find starting with creative freedom as normal and then adjusting it if we aren't winning is helpful. Also adjusting the tempo and approach play can help too. You might be having 22 shots, but they might be low quality. 

I've also used a WB on one side and a FB on the other side to try and add some defensive balance. I also have a IF and a W in the advance roles. This is with overlap and focus on wings turned on. I also play wide which might be unwise but seems to work. 

I've always had trouble getting in higher levels of shots in Mobile FM, and this approach has resulted in a good improvement in goals scored for my glory game with AC Milan. I'd advise making small tweeks. 

Far from an expert just to be clear. :D

Also I've never had any luck on full FM or mobile with work ball into the box. 

I would advise he bins work ball into the ball in his tactic. Defensive teams will have a field day against you. This happens when Manchester City plays defensive teams like Crystal Palace before Vieira. You spend precious time trying to get close to the goalkeeper before shooting and all they have to do is intercept the ball and launch a quick counter. God help you if they've got a pacey forward.

• 2 months later...