What was your first Football Manager game ? And do you still play it ?

I can still play my first ever Football Manager game back in 1993 !!!  It was a game called Wizard Soccer by a company named Wizard Games in Scotland . It was quite unique back then and you could play the Top 4 major English Leagues with a text based ME . Selecting your players was based on 4 attributes namely Superb , Good , Average and poor . Me and my mate stayed up to all hours of the moring playing it . You could also print your tables etc , Trade , buy etc .

Their next installment was a game called 1-0 95 and was able to play Internationals with World Cups.

Edited by alian62

LMA Manager 2005 on the PS2.

I remember going up to my mate’s house after school to sit and play it for hours on end, constructing new stands for the stadium and unearthing talent like Kompany & Van Der Borre.

Sometimes, it was the simple things in life like the stadium improvements that can hook you though!

SWOS (was addictive fun, plus being able to manage in any league in the world was amazing in those days).

Premier Manager - I think it was always choose Wycombe at the start to guarantee promotion from the conference

CM 01/02 (and previous versions) - remember the Domark version on the Amiga 

The Double (Spectrum) 

SWOS was amazing but it had it's little flaws mainly being, when you signed a player from a team, they just automatically got some random replacement with the skills to match and I'm sure the only transfers between teams were your own team

CM93/94 was my first, the one with the Italian League add on   

1 hour ago, Mr Jabay said:

For me it was Anstoss, a German Football Manager Game, must have been 1996 or 1997. Lots of fun back then...

Released as "On The Ball" over here.  I remember sometimes, but not always, you would be given control of a penalty.  Because it didn't happen always, you wouldn't be prepared for it, and it didn't give you much time to aim, so I'd always miss!

CM Italia was my first - when I was far too young to really understand what was going on.  SWOS was the first I owned, followed shortly after by CM 96/97

I definitely had Championship Manager 2 1996/97 but seem to recall playing an earlier Domark pc version first, not the Italian edition. Been hooked ever since and bought and played every version since those early days…..  

Football Manager, on the Spectrum 48. Oh god.  I loved Ultimate Soccer Manager, I definitely played some Anstoss when living in Germany, and I worked for a short while on EA's Premier League Manager. 

CM2 was my first SI game.  I've played everything they've ever made, since then...:)

My first football manager game is championship manager 3.. it was text based but i was playing like 10 hour a day.. i cant forget martin palermo in this game.

İ really enjoyed cm 4 because it adds 2d match engine so fm become really really reality than imagination.

İ played every fm game after cm 3.

Fm 5 is also one of my favorite game. Floran kringe was one of my best amc player

General Football Management game = the original "Football Manager" (Addictive Games) by Kevin J. Toms for the ZX Spectrum 48k. I think SI / SEGA later bought the naming rights when they switched brand name from Championship Manager? Btw as well as on emulators, the author has re-released this for mobiles and PCs under the brand name "Football Star Manager" for anyone who wants a trip down memory lane!

First CM / FM game by the current crew was, I think, CM 96/97 - it was the one with the commentary on the CD.

Edit: Forgot to say. I did play his updated version a few years ago and its still installed on my PC. I never play CM 96/97.

Edited by Lord Rowell

CM2 and I have managed to get it working on my new computer. Too bad I know all the secrets I didn't know at the time. Also wished I had saved the save games somewhere.

46 minutes ago, kopfan1977 said:

Championship Manager 01/02 simply the best game there was. If that could have todays updated competition structures etc then it would get played a lot more than I do on FM23

I don't think we're allowed to link fansites here... but such updates exist. Will inbox you.

1 hour ago, Etebaer said:

Dito, i did not have a computer and played it via a friends C64.

Later i had a CPC464 but i am unaware if the game exists for it - if so i did not ever come across it.

There was a version for the CPC464 :) 

If we're talking on a computer then it'd be CM99/00. I didn't own it but a mate did.

But the very first football management game that I played was something that ran in a magazine in the 80s. I honestly forget the magazine. Shoot or Match, most likely.

It was, I believe, a series of questions about what you would do in a match. Something like the ball comes to Brown in MF, do you pass wide or shoot. I might be very wrong. But I do recall that I picked a side and I am sure there was a league table. It must have been a mail thing.

I have racked my old brain for years trying to remember more of that game. I used to look forward to that game every issue to see the answers and see what score I'd gotten in my match.

I don't know if I am allowed to include Jimmy Hill's Match Of The Day board game.That must have been mid 80s.

6 hours ago, Lord Rowell said:

I don't think we're allowed to link fansites here... but such updates exist. Will inbox you.

Yes they still do MODS and Updates and the same with FIFA Manager 14 but I can never download FIFA as my Antivirus stops it . Prob loaded with adware or malware 

4 hours ago, anagain said:

If we're talking on a computer then it'd be CM99/00. I didn't own it but a mate did.

But the very first football management game that I played was something that ran in a magazine in the 80s. I honestly forget the magazine. Shoot or Match, most likely.

It was, I believe, a series of questions about what you would do in a match. Something like the ball comes to Brown in MF, do you pass wide or shoot. I might be very wrong. But I do recall that I picked a side and I am sure there was a league table. It must have been a mail thing.

I have racked my old brain for years trying to remember more of that game. I used to look forward to that game every issue to see the answers and see what score I'd gotten in my match.

I don't know if I am allowed to include Jimmy Hill's Match Of The Day board game.That must have been mid 80s.

I remember doing the Soccer Pools via Newspapers . 

4 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Behold,  the lesser-spotted "young' person!

Ha!  I actually bought FM for years in a row on Steam, starting in about 2010 or so.  Never really had the time to play it for some reason.  It was the pandemic that helped me see the light.

2 minutes ago, Federico said:

"Player Manager" on the Amiga in 1990. You could even play the games in real times - Kick Off's gameplay.

Yeah loved that game :) only downside were the player names were fantasy names and there was no editor... i once played with a player with whom i would play until he was 50 or something - he had no pace ast all anymore but would score with headers at corners at every opportunity :) 

1 minuto fa, Carambau ha scritto:

Yeah loved that game :) only downside were the player names were fantasy names and there was no editor... i once played with a player with whom i would play until he was 50 or something - he had no pace ast all anymore but would score with headers at corners at every opportunity :) 

True but you could edit team names at least. Goals from corners, lobs, PDB trick... and then trainings (so to say!) used just to raise the morale up, contracts, transfers... "Anco News" reporting troubles with the crowd causing fines to be dispatched... Dino Dini was (and still is!) a genius.

I used to play a few of them. Premier Manager (the one with Kevin Keegan on the cover) and Player Manager. Loved Player manager but didn’t really like Premier Manager

I didn’t have a PC until 1999 and that’s when I got CM 99/00 which felt like the greatest game of all time in comparison to the PlayStation games 

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Federico:

"Player Manager" on the Amiga in 1990. You could even play the games in real times - Kick Off's gameplay.

That one was great!

You could edit your own tactics and see the matches in isometric 3D like in the Kick Off games and i still remember the name Dino Dini.

These were great games!

I think the first was "The manager" back in the early 90s.

image.png.a07945feb46395184d71577720a3e552.png

Then I found Championship Manager and it all continued from there on.

CM2 for me. Remember my dad bringing it home and setting me a save game up. Was hooked from that moment. 

Occasionally will play it on the old computer but there’s too much in newer FM versions I’m accustomed to now. 

Championship Manager 99/00

I played it for two years. Never won anything, never learned how to play it, I was only 10y old. I didn't even know what attributes mean, my English was poor so I though "crossing" means how fast player can cross the field.

Later I realized what is Acceleration because Michael Owen was very fast irl and he had ACC 20 in CM. I would just create a save game, buy Javier Saviola, lose a couple of games and start new save.

Every day, a couple of times per day, for two years.