Why do I keep conceding goals from through balls?

92nd minute away to America in the Mexican League. I've changed to my Very Defensive 4-4-2 DM tactic with a Low Block, Lower Defensive Line and Drop Off More. I concede after their midfielder plays a long ball over my defence. My question is, with the instructions I have set, why in God's name is my defence this high?? This it not the first time this has happened.

image.thumb.png.7ed5e21d2ffb6c58228b87fd8326ad5b.png

Here is the tactic in question, designed to shut out games late on. No Player Instructions. Opposition Insturctions is to press everyone bar defenders and defensive midfielders, tackle central midfielders harder and funnel wing backs into the middle and wingers out wide.

image.thumb.png.66fa36dc383506b54b9c506ba83c8297.png

Here are the attributes of my two centre backs:

image.thumb.png.7b7bc94165612688505df4b7df39a4ad.png

image.thumb.png.212cfce5dcb0baacc56002900477189f.png

They're not that ill-equipped to deal with through balls as is, but I cannot for the life of me understand why they're not dropping deeper considering my instructions, what am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem, and tested it in Fantasy Draft Mode to nullify tactic knowledge modification. 

And I force them to regroup

But I started thread maybe in wrong category

Edited by ahu666

On 03/01/2023 at 07:33, Jiggins said:

My question is, with the instructions I have set, why in God's name is my defence this high??

They are trying to maintain a certain level of vertical compactness from the back to the front so the other team can't take advantage of space between the lines. 

On 03/01/2023 at 07:33, Jiggins said:

Opposition Insturctions is to press everyone bar defenders and defensive midfielders, tackle central midfielders harder and funnel wing backs into the middle and wingers out wide.

I'm wondering if on this instance the DM was playing some kind of playmaker role which encouraged him to launch a ball over the top and your defenders would have little chance to win that battle if they are tired against a more well rested striker who is relatively fast and strong. So I would have pressed the DM so he didn't have time to make those passes accurately.