[FM23] Creating chances in a 532

Hello all,

After a while of playing a bunch of careers with 433/4231 tactics, I have decided to switch it up and do one with a main 532 tactic. My goals here are to make a similar tactic to that of Ole Werner at Werder Bremen in real life, fast paced, more direct, counter attacking football. However, playing through games, I barely get any chances, or possession, and keep getting destroyed by the opponents. What am I doing wrong? Attached is my tactic

bremen.PNG

I’d say swap your car and mez around as your right flank is more agressive. In turn to support your cwb even more get your rcb as wcb (su) so he moves into the full back position so your cwb can always go back if needed. 

you’re trying to play counter attacking football with a high press, trying to win the ball high up the field thus giving yourself less space to counter attack in. 
same for passing into space, as you’re winning it high up the pitch there’s no space for you to pass the ball into.

If i’m going more direct I lower the tempo a notch (or even fully). You’re rushing players to make longer, riskier passes thus losing it more. 

Does a high press work/is it necessary in a bottom heavy formation like yours?

the high press will be led by your front two but it will also be pulling your car/mez and wb’s higher up the field as well leaving you potentially exposed at the back. At best your front two are burning energy closing everyone down, at worst everyone else gets pulled into the press and your back 3 is easily exposed. Personally I’d raise ur def line and drop to a mid block and condense the space. Maybe force opponent inside where you’ll have a numerical advantage. 
With 3 cb’s you can maybe change the Dmd to something with a support function, dlps maybe if you have a good passer in the squad. 
otherwise I think the post above has got it spot on with their advice. 

With a back 3 and defend duty DM ahead of them, I think you have to go aggressive with the two central midfielders. There just isn't enough substance in the attack for the FM23 match engine if you don't. Even if you did something like use two mezzalas, I would consider changing the DM to a DLP to add a bit of creativity into the mix.

I am not an expert in FM but my Braunschweig side plays well with 3ATB.

my thoughts are:

a) with a bottom heavy formation it’s too difficult to press high, instead I would recommend a hard working midblock. At Braunschweig I have higher DL and lower LoE (space to counter). Get stuck in and tighter marking.

b) my roles and duties are similar to yours @ModerIsta I have a MEZa and CAR plus a DLPs behind those. With WBs on the flanks the MEZ and CAR covering the halfspaces. Up front I have a AF / DLFs partnership.

c) I have much less TI‘s: just plain on possession sometimes shorter passing. My transition is dependant on the keeper, he can’t throw and can’t kick but passes the ball which is why I instruct him to play it short. I am not sure if I hit the counter button.

I play on positive mentality with two attacking duties.

results are exceptional.

Edited by HanziZoloman