Once and for all, how do I deal with this tactic?

So, I've asked this before in here but still don't get it, so here we go again... Regardless of what team I am, no matter the players, I always lose to teams that use this disgusting abomination for a tactic::

image.png.3f1d951dc9cae880f55af04cfa401858.png

You know, the one with two DMC:s. I am currently Salzburg in the Austrian Bundesliga, and Every. Singe. Team. meet me with this nasty little piece of cat litter content, and I cannot for the life of me deal with it. I have players that should win against these teams with a severe hangover and two sprained ankles, but no. I hardly get any shots on goal, and even if I do, their goalkeeper saves it.  If I ever score goals, it's mostly from set pieces or penatlies. I've tried different tactics, different mentalities, different instructions, different players, but nothing works. Quickly passing the ball over their defense? Not working. Slowly and sexy build up the attack and wait for an opportunity? Not working.  It's cursed. My players do everything except what i expect a capped and experieced player to do. They act confused and like this is their very first time playing soccer football ever, and they either pass the ball between them until they lose it to the opposition, or just straight up howl the ball halfway over the pitch to the feet of one of the players from the other team so they can start a devastating attack. It's like a sad dance of clowns.

I don't know what more to try. Should I just accept defeat and cry in the bed with a extra large pack of Ben and Jerrys? Uninstall FM and look for something less unforgiving and stressful?

How do you deal with this? Please explain it like i am a little dumb toddler with no knowledge of the intimidating world of FM tactics. 

Some FAQ:s based on my earlier attempts in here:

What tactics have you tried? Probably all of them.

Gegenpress!!!1 Not the silver bullet.

What team shape/mentality/instructions have you tried? If there's a button or a slider in the instructions, I have tried it (with the tactical knowledge of a dumb toddler).

What kind of players do you have? Most of them are hard working, disciplined, capped, sexy, skilled five star players in the Austrian Bundesliga, but if I need a certain kind of skillset in the team to win, I am prepared to buy other players.

Are your players complacent/unhappy/untrained/whatever? Not from what I can see,

Can you upload your save game for us all to laught at? I rather not.

Are you an tactical illiterate? Why yes, yes I am.

There will be a massive gap between their front four attackers and the rest of their team. So from an offensive point of view, you'll likely be able to control the middle third of the pitch. However, as they have two DMCs, they'll restrict space just infront of their defence. So if your system is set-up to exploit this space, then you'll likely struggle.

I'd try to secure the middle numerically and then attack down the flanks. Likely that their wide forwards will not track back with any regularity.

What's the system your using?

Edited by Luizinho

We lack of information to give you specific advice. However, considering it’s a 4231, here are some advice we can tell inspired by IRL :

1. 4231 is a top heavy formation, meaning that if you struggle to play from the back, you should not do it

2. 4231 is very effective for pressing the backline. You can either play a 5 at the back system (you will have one extra man) or try to look for a playmaker in the middle

3. As someone said, they have a huge gap in the middle. You can try to quickly move your team on that space (beating the pressing of the front 4) and then attacking patiently from the midfield (if the front 4 comes to defend, it will be easier to defend if they recover the ball)

4. Most of the time, the AMC is the core (by being the main goalscorer or the main creator). Use OI’s on him should steralize their attacks.

It sounds like you're just picking different options and formations at random, which isn't the best path to take. You also say you don't have much knowledge of FM tactics. You might want to take some time to "book up" on the better tactical articles. I would especially recommend Cleon's Art of Defending and anything by Rashidi (who also posts videos on You Tube under the title of Bust the Net). 

You don't mention what version of FM you're playing. Based on your OP, it doesn't look like FM23. I used to despise the 4-2-3-1, too, but came to like it playing FM22 when I took over a squad that was well suited to it at Lazio. Prior to that, I usually played the 4-1-2-3 against it, and if my opponent was much better than my side, I made sure my DM was set to the Halfback role. I found that spread my backs a tad wider, cutting down on the space in which the opposing wingers had to operate. But with Lazio, I tended to play the 4-2-3-1 against all comers, including the 4-2-3-1. Playing a strong pressing game tended to keep them off-balance. But the important thing is to pay close attention to HOW teams playing the 4-2-3-1 are beating you: wing play, killer passes, crossing to a target man, long balls over the top? The answer will give you a hint as to how to defend against it. 

If your team is so dominant, get guys in the box. 4-4-2 or similar. They are likely playing Cautious or Defensive mentalities, so there'll be no space for you to exploit either behind the defence or between the lines. Get the ball wide, stretch them; then come inside (cross/pass/dribble). You need the right players to execute this: strikers good in the air (if they are strong and aggressive it'll also help you regain possession), good dribblers and crossers on the wide positions; you can have a more defensive-minded or a deeper positioned midfielder (so making it a 4-1-3-2 Wide, for instance).

On 06/01/2023 at 10:14, gunnerfan said:

It sounds like you're just picking different options and formations at random, which isn't the best path to take. You also say you don't have much knowledge of FM tactics. You might want to take some time to "book up" on the better tactical articles. I would especially recommend Cleon's Art of Defending and anything by Rashidi (who also posts videos on You Tube under the title of Bust the Net). 

You don't mention what version of FM you're playing. Based on your OP, it doesn't look like FM23. I used to despise the 4-2-3-1, too, but came to like it playing FM22 when I took over a squad that was well suited to it at Lazio. Prior to that, I usually played the 4-1-2-3 against it, and if my opponent was much better than my side, I made sure my DM was set to the Halfback role. I found that spread my backs a tad wider, cutting down on the space in which the opposing wingers had to operate. But with Lazio, I tended to play the 4-2-3-1 against all comers, including the 4-2-3-1. Playing a strong pressing game tended to keep them off-balance. But the important thing is to pay close attention to HOW teams playing the 4-2-3-1 are beating you: wing play, killer passes, crossing to a target man, long balls over the top? The answer will give you a hint as to how to defend against it. 

Take this advice to heart, it's really good and should help you get moving in the right direction.

One thing I'd add: watch the match in 2D classic mode, and slow it down a bit. Take note of how the players are moving in and out of transitions, and try to spot places where the other team may be vulnerable.