Final patch/update release date?

Hi!

Every year there is a final patch/update for Football Manager somewhere in the spring. I mean when the game is done/fully updated/no additional major gameplay updates will occur.

When is this FINAL update release date for Football Manager 2023? Or at least when is the preliminary date/month?

Best regards,

Richard

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Borgar said:

Hi!

Every year there is a final patch/update for Football Manager somewhere in the spring. I mean when the game is done/fully updated/no additional major gameplay updates will occur.

When is this FINAL update release date for Football Manager 2023? Or at least when is the preliminary date/month?

Best regards,

Richard

Yeah not something we announce in advance but going by previous years it's after the transfer window updates and in previous years we've done two to cover those that close at the end of Jan and end of Feb. Also of course, it takes time to compile and finalise this data, so will be a period after the windows close. 

7 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Yeah not something we announce in advance but going by previous years it's after the transfer window updates and in previous years we've done two to cover those that close at the end of Jan and end of Feb. Also of course, it takes time to compile and finalise this data, so will be a period after the windows close. 

Is there a licensing reason why the game cannot start say Feb 1 2023 in England with most recent transfers rather than July 2022? Always find it slightly unrealistic to have players that were bought in the winter transfer window to start the whole season. Always feel forced to choose do I want the latest player ratings or a more realistic start post window. 

1 hour ago, Borgar said:

Thanks for the answer! Hopefully it'll also be stated clearly that it is the final update when released (aside of eventual subsequent quick fixes for the final update of course).

Looking forward to it!

It won't as they don't know if they will need to do another, you can assume the March one is likely to be the last update though

• Administrators
11 hours ago, wazzaflow10 said:

Is there a licensing reason why the game cannot start say Feb 1 2023 in England with most recent transfers rather than July 2022? Always find it slightly unrealistic to have players that were bought in the winter transfer window to start the whole season. Always feel forced to choose do I want the latest player ratings or a more realistic start post window. 

We wouldn't be able to include RL results, so the league positions/results and fixtures would need to be randomised for the first half of the season. 

50 minutes ago, EdL said:

yep oddly fixtures are copyright

Under debate according to this: https://europeanlawblog.eu/2012/03/08/copyright-for-football-league-fixture-lists/. And only England still trying this particular copyright scam.

And even so, that only covers the fixture list - juggle the dates and you should be able have all the teams on the right points and goals scored/conceded whilst not using the actual ('copyrighted') fixture list.

In regard to results:
Therefore, football matches as unprocessed events cannot be protected as works. Moreover, single moves and the performing by the athletes of specific arrangements coordinated by the trainer could be seen either as mere expressions of skill or as methods, systems or ideas, which are unlikely to meet the “expression” criterion, which was expressly established as an individual component of the EU concept of a work in the Levola decision.

But as with everything in the insane world of copyright - the **** with the most expensive lawyers gets the interpretation they want.  

EDIT:  Ruling was made back in 2012. Not seen anything to contradict it that's more recent.  Quote was from 2022 article, so looks like position hasn't changed. 

Edited by rp1966

25 minutes ago, Renyy said:

You can can't you? You won't get the real results up to that point, but if you add say Norway to your database, you can start the save from Norwegian pre-season in January. Alternatively I think you can add any pre-existing starting date to any league you want in the editor. 

The only real negative from doing this is that all the summer leagues you skip the 2022 season of won't have a record for that season. 

Yeah I know it's technically possible but you get the winter transfers in the summer so it's a bit of double dipping. Then if you do disable transfers in first window to stop teams from signing even more players I think a lot of teams that have their first windows in the winter can't sign anyone but can lose players. Maybe a nice middle ground is omit winter transfers or delay winter transfers option. I'm sure that's it's own can of worms though. Its not a gamebreaker just slightly ruins the immersion to start the game.