How is this tactic so bad in defence ?

I don't care about the lack of scoring right now, we are 9th for xga and 4th for most goals conceded (we are 10th with 3 games to go but our defense in line with the bottom of the table). In our last two games, we conceded 3 goals from a 18th place Bochum in OUR home, and 2 from a 16th place Stuttgart  at away. All were from open play, 1 was a over the top ball, 2 were from the wings and 2 were from them just passing through my midfield like they don't exist. How ?

4-3-3.thumb.png.e633fc24d4d238560fcd037eda271e3b.png

15 minutes ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

just passing through my midfield like they don't exist

If this happens some of your players need to get stuck in, either manually assigned or you can tell the squad also try using trap outside instruction to make your team more narrow; the ball over the top can happen as your team transition from a narrow attack to a wider defensive setup. 

To me it seems that there might be some imbalance on your team, with three players up front on attack duties, probably being too far focused on forward runs to help out defensively (at least initially) and then the two central midfielders both roaming around the pitch. So I would probably go through a few of the games and pay attention to how this dynamic is turning out. 

Edited by Purplejesus

Couple things I see

This looks like a pretty aggressive setup You’re on positive mentality with 3 players on attack duty, wingbacks on both sides, and 2 midfield roles that will get forward in attack as well. Add in “be more expressive” and your midfield is likely roaming all over the place. That probably leaves your lone D-mid and the two CBs to do all the transition defending. That’ll lead to overloads and the D mid getting pulled out of position trying to cover all the gaps. Are a lot of the goals against you counterattacks? 

You’re also defending in a mid block, but it looks like no changes to the defensive line? If you want to play a mid block and press, you could try moving the defensive line higher to compress the space and make sure your defenders aren’t disconnected from your midfield. 

I’d maybe try switching one of the wingbacks to a fullback on defend or support duty and maybe one of the wingers to support as well.

I also think if you want to press, go for it with a high press, high defensive line instead of trying to do it half and half. If you want a different approach, you can dial back the press a bit and use the “regroup” when ball is lost option in the transitions section. 

Not sure if that’ll fix everything, but maybe some things to experiment with at least! 

43 dakika önce, Sportsviking said:

Couple things I see

This looks like a pretty aggressive setup You’re on positive mentality with 3 players on attack duty, wingbacks on both sides, and 2 midfield roles that will get forward in attack as well. Add in “be more expressive” and your midfield is likely roaming all over the place. That probably leaves your lone D-mid and the two CBs to do all the transition defending. That’ll lead to overloads and the D mid getting pulled out of position trying to cover all the gaps. Are a lot of the goals against you counterattacks? 

You’re also defending in a mid block, but it looks like no changes to the defensive line? If you want to play a mid block and press, you could try moving the defensive line higher to compress the space and make sure your defenders aren’t disconnected from your midfield. 

I’d maybe try switching one of the wingbacks to a fullback on defend or support duty and maybe one of the wingers to support as well.

I also think if you want to press, go for it with a high press, high defensive line instead of trying to do it half and half. If you want a different approach, you can dial back the press a bit and use the “regroup” when ball is lost option in the transitions section. 

Not sure if that’ll fix everything, but maybe some things to experiment with at least! 

This is really what i don't understand, in real life most teams that play for the top half of their league play with wingbacks and offensive midfielders, most of the 4-3-3 playing teams only really leave 2 centre backs and a dm behind, im leaving 2 centre backs 1 dm and 1 wingback behind with two hard working midfielders that track back when we lose the ball, i get that the front 3 are pretty much useless being on attack duty but it makes no sense to me that im getting countered so much while leaving 4 men back without a high line. And i started with a high line but over the top balls were killing us thats why i changed it to standard. 

I agree with the last point, i started with a high line so i kind of forgot to adjust the pressing after i changed it.

Try FB on support duty, I think you’ll be surprised how offensive they are when you’re playing with the ball, especially on “positive” mentality. 

I think if you want to play this way, I would try to set up a really aggressive counter press. 

- high line of confrontation and high very high defensive line, pressing trigger as often as possible, counter press when ball is lost, get stuck in

I hear what you’re saying about most big teams playing aggressively, but those teams also counterpress really hard when they lose the ball. That way your players up the field actually contribute to how you’re defending. 

Something is wrong with your players. Are some of them new to the team or country? Do you have bad team cohesion? Are your players any good? Are you fining them for poor performance so they push to try harder next match?

When your players are in good form, well adapted to the club and country, bonded well with each other, and of a reasonably good talent level then this tactic will play a lot better defensively.

And if none of what I said is actually happening then you've just run into some bad luck.