Final: Argentina vs France, 3PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

Darius1998

1 minute ago, Haguey said:

It's where they went wrong for so long too, in the 00s and 10s

Same with Brazil since 02 and England's 00's "golden gen"

They went wrong with clown coaches like Pekerman in '02 and '06, then Maradona in '10.

'14 they got to the final despite lack of quality compared to '00s, '18 Sampaoli was bad, but that team was dire.

Scaloni turned them into the best NT team over a few years and isn't afraid to make changes to the system or even leave some regular starters out when they lose form, like he did with Lautaro.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, McBruce said:

To hear the announcers describe the 2nd goal, the preantepenultimate touch by Messi imparted a magic spell on the ball that made the three passes that followed fall perfectly…..next they will be giving him credit for the goal for making the only pass available to him.

Might be the only pass to make but not many players can give or touch the ball like that.

2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

****ing hell :D French dressing room at HT is going to be something

Good individuals but I don't think they have any leaders. Who's giving the tubthumping half-time team talk to wake them up?

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Good individuals but I don't think they have any leaders. Who's giving the tubthumping half-time team talk to wake them up?

tbf half the french team have been poisoned before the match to ensure Argentina win.

2 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

I know it's only the first half but what are the odds that Messi gets MOTM even after Di Maria is dominating like this?

Messi could not touch the ball for the rest of the match and he's still guaranteed MOTM :D 

4 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

I know it's only the first half but what are the odds that Messi gets MOTM even after Di Maria is dominating like this?

Di Maria to score a hat-trick, Messi to win MOTM.

Just like the Matthews Final in 1953. :D

6 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Although I think Argentina playing like this would have blown us away.

Not convinced. They've been good, players like De Paul that haven't always been have properly stepped up and the counter attack goal (through massive gaping hole) was brilliant, but I think Morocco would be blowing France away today and quite a few sides that went out in the groups would be on top.

Just now, enigmatic said:

Was he the one that got booked? Can't be booked if you're dead

Apparently, can't be booked when you're laying on the ground. I'd like to see the ref treat the player like a small child and start counting. 

4 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Not convinced. They've been good, players like De Paul that haven't always been have properly stepped up and the counter attack goal (through massive gaping hole) was brilliant, but I think Morocco would be blowing France away today and quite a few sides that went out in the groups would be on top.

Not England though. We'd be giving them respect 

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Utterly, utterly dreadful from France. Excited for Reddit weirdos claiming Argentina are winning because of a conspiracy to give Messi the trophy and just completely ignoring France have been dreadful.

Have we got a conspiracy theory that France were intentionally poisoned yet?

(We need one. France are playing like they have 11 Ronaldo Fenomenos on the pitch. Unfortunately the 98 final vintage)

8 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

Considering how good the atmosphere has been at each of their games, I can only imagine what the 1978 tournament looked like.

The ticker tape stuff before every game they played was unbelievable, we’d never seen anything like it before, literally mind blowing.

The best thing about this tournament is that a good coach won.

Started Di Maria and put him on the left, knowing Kounde doesn't have enough pace and Demebele either doesn't defend or is horrible when he attempts to.

In the semi-final, he just crowded the midfield and gave Croatia the ball, resulting in two counter-attack goals as soon as we pushed up.

Meanwhile, every big nation that went out early has more than a legit case to blame their coach for either bad tactical decisions or turgid football. Belgium, Germany, Portugal, Spain, England, Brazil. Everyone except Netherlands will feel they could've achieved more.