DM, Anchor or Half Back?

4 hours ago, CARRERA said:

HB if you want to build up with a back 3 and have both fullbacks participating in the final third

Anchor if your match plan is around protecting space instead of pressing aggressively.

DM if you are more into an aggressive defensive style. 

And what context would be good for the DLP on Defend duty?

@bosqueFor example, a low block trying to play through the middle where DLPD is only needed at the start of transitions to attack close to your own penalty area or

in a 4-3-1-2 generally at the centre of the diamond for easing playing through the middle.

Edited by frukox

All dm roles for me:

SV, RPM in 2s only

BWM, REG in 2s or for really good sides as a sole DM

HB for building up in a back 3

A between HB and DM

DLP: Support role for 2s, defend for a buildup side where deep midfielder is needed to progress the play

DM: Sits in front of defence like A (maybe higher), can build up like DLP, can step out like BWM. Depends on player.

The decision for me generally comes down to how good my wingbacks are and whether my AML/AMR players are playing as wingers or inside forwards. If I'm playing inside forwards then I want my wingbacks providing attacking width, and so an HB role makes sense to keep a safe back three setup in possession. When I'm using wingers then I can use inverted wingbacks, and then my options for the DM role open up to just about anything. I can adjust the mentality of the inverted wingbacks to compensate for what my DM is doing. If I use a HB then I can use IWB(a). If I use a DLP(s) then I might use IWB(s) roles.

On 16/12/2022 at 18:51, CARRERA said:

I occasionally use the DLP as a pivot in a possession based system to recycle the ball and rebuild the attack with a createive player.

What about a dlp on support duty with a higher pressing system/ high block in a 433? my idea is to use him as an outlet for defenders, while also being a creative force for the two runners in front of him (BBM + mez)

1 hour ago, eXistenZ said:

What about a dlp on support duty with a higher pressing system/ high block in a 433? my idea is to use him as an outlet for defenders, while also being a creative force for the two runners in front of him (BBM + mez)

A DLPs is quite agile and doesn’t provide as much depth as you might think. Your attacking shape might get too compressed under certain circumstances. You could compensate that by immediately exploiting the natural depth of a 433 by transitioning fast and direct.

You can try it out anyway, if it works - it works :D

On 18/12/2022 at 03:54, The3points said:

All dm roles for me:

SV, RPM in 2s only

BWM, REG in 2s or for really good sides as a sole DM

HB for building up in a back 3

A between HB and DM

DLP: Support role for 2s, defend for a buildup side where deep midfielder is needed to progress the play

DM: Sits in front of defence like A (maybe higher), can build up like DLP, can step out like BWM. Depends on player.

What does 2S mean?

On 16/12/2022 at 14:17, MarkJS1 said:

If playing a 4-3-3, what role is best for your single holding midfielder out of the 3?

You have to consider the rest roles of your team

for instance in my 433 i play with a right WBs and a left FBs with forward runs and underlaping an IWs with stay wider PI while my left midfielder is an CMa.

Then you have to think that if those FBs go forward what DM should i use.

I chose a HB to make a 3 back line for better protection even if the left FBs in not as aggressive as the right who goes all the way up most of the times and start higher

So what matters is the rest roles of your team and their duties

Edited by Panosgeo79

I look at it this way: I want to help my team in the build up phase. If my opponent plays a two-striker formation, I will sometimes make my DM a HB to create the numerical advantage in the back. If my opponent plays a one-striker formation, I tend to leave DM as a DMd operating behind their first line of pressure. 

Initially I liked the HB role in this match engine, but after a while I noticed an issue. HB drops deeper, the CBs spread wide, but the HB is still a little higher than them oftentimes. Now when opponent striker rushes forward through the center and the ball is played to him, HB is too high up to get to him and CBs are too wide. Led to conceding a lot of goals like that. Don't know if that will be an issue in all styles. I personally play a very high line. But after switching to DM(d), the problem is solved. Defensively very solid now.

En 23/12/2022 a las 14:56, maximilli dijo:

Initially I liked the HB role in this match engine, but after a while I noticed an issue. HB drops deeper, the CBs spread wide, but the HB is still a little higher than them oftentimes. Now when opponent striker rushes forward through the center and the ball is played to him, HB is too high up to get to him and CBs are too wide. Led to conceding a lot of goals like that. Don't know if that will be an issue in all styles. I personally play a very high line. But after switching to DM(d), the problem is solved. Defensively very solid now.

I feel the same playing high line systems, and i solved switching to DM or playing a an anchor.