Weird Possession Stats

Has anyone else noticed possession stats amongst AI vs AI games look strange since the last update? A few examples from my game since the last update (all leagues are on full detail)

Girona 62% v R. Madrid 38%
Wolves 61% v Liverpool 39%
Nice 59% v PSG 41%

This does seem to be happening quite regularly and isn’t a one off. Is it due to the issue with lower rep teams just passing it safe amongst their defenders and clocking up the passing stats? 

I notice in my Liverpool game 1st season, my possession is usually in the 30% range when I play the default direct counter attack in a 4-3-3 DM Wide. I don't know if this has to do with the counter attack being used, or if it's down to something else. But I think it's quite odd that my possession stat is this low when I am outscoring the opposition and on top of the league. None of my players are on any overly ambitious personal instructions, they all play the default Central Midfield role, Fullback, Central Defender, etc.

@Nick_CBjust curious if you play with your SC, AMR, and AML all on attack duty too? From looking at the games a bit more closely, it would seem that your team will try for the throughball alot more often (and lose possession) if your frontline keeps making runs beyond the opponents' backline. Salah for example, is getting the ball hoofed up to him nonstop - a considerable change from FM22.

Edit: playing counter-attack seems to set my possesion to below 40% by default. Maybe this is a new design by SI. I like it. In FM22 you could play counter-attack and still dominate possession, which I found a tad bit unrealistic. 

Edited by MontyOnTheRun

Same issue as FM 22, too easy to keep the ball in the your own third so defensive teams will just hog the ball to death. 

Was OK until the patch but tbh only because there was a preference to hoof it rather than any genuine difficulties playing short. 

11 hours ago, Renyy said:

image.png.0eb7d9d512c1d88ea9153ec61abfa087.png

I have by far the better players, they have two red cards, and yet dominate possession. My players cannot win the ball, and yeet it away the instant they get it. Even with no passing into space, no counter attacks, lowest tempo and directness. 2-3 passes then it's hoof ball time.

Meanwhile in home games, same tactic, none of these issues. Suddenly it's tiki taka.  This feels so artificial. 

There is something 100% broken about playing away. I’ve seen the same thing over two years of a save. 

Playing away should be harder but it shouldn’t turn a team into incompetent morons. 

13 hours ago, Renyy said:

image.png.0eb7d9d512c1d88ea9153ec61abfa087.png

I have by far the better players, they have two red cards, and yet dominate possession. My players cannot win the ball, and yeet it away the instant they get it. Even with no passing into space, no counter attacks, lowest tempo and directness. 2-3 passes then it's hoof ball time.

Meanwhile in home games, same tactic, none of these issues. Suddenly it's tiki taka.  This feels so artificial. 

Would you might showing your tactic? I mean, I don't see anywhere closely the same. Here are my last 3 matches:

ltQAvDF.png

dbUNny1.png

HHuf3NF.png

Here I see a deserved home loss against Newcastle where they dominated us in all aspects (including possession). Then we sneaked a win away to Aston Villa where we also won the possession stats, but were lucky to avoid conceding. Then a decent 2-2 draw at home to Arsenal.

For reference, this is my tactic that I've been using since FM17 with only small modifications to. I do switch smaller stuff for each match, but nothing major. I am also a lower mid-table team currently.

WXiqX6x.png

7 minutes ago, Renyy said:

Initially 4-3-3, Pass In Space, Advanced Forward, Shorter passing/tempo, work ball to box, 7 attack duties. Do I expect that to run into traffic sometimes? Yes. When nothing changes from turning up support duties, turning off pass into space, lowering tempo and directness to lowest, and holding shape in transition, then I guess I just don't understand how tactics work. I'm watching the game in full and changing to the total opposite tactically results in no difference in play on the pitch. Not enough to notice anyway. 

I bet it has something to do with the attacking duties. By default the attacking duties make forward runs, More runs = more attempted through balls = more often lose ball = less possession.