QF4: England vs France, 7PM GMT, Al Bayt Stadium

Darius1998

19 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

It's not the most exciting list is it. Christ, Steve Holland would be depressing choice. I still maintain Poch. Not fussed about them being foreign. He's got the best out of Kane in that 4231 he played. And we have the players to fit that well. 

Screenshot_20221211-214846_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a3f74ee6ede8bb5bbc36bde3802ac3be.jpg

The England job is much more appealing then it was 5 years ago. I can see a few different names being interested that weren't before, now they thinking '3 & half year contract, 2 tournaments, I could be the guy that finally wins something with them'

Lampard would be such a god awful choice, think I'd give up watching England if he got the job

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to read 30 odd pages to catch up, but have been amused by Kyle Walker scoring low in the player ratings for the match, when Mbappe did absolutely nothing all game and thats what all the pre match build up was about 

Saka by far the best player on the pitch, no idea why he went off for Sterling, terrible terrible decision 

France once again will probably walk into a final like last time when they've been pretty rubbish and everyone will over hype them again 

Edited by Barry Cartman

13 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Why is this so important to you? :D 

Someone that’s managed England for 6-8 years and had more success than any predecessors in living memory... he is going to have many different job options when he comes out of the role. That’s all. He probably won’t go back to the day to day stress of managing a mid table PL team, especially when that’s a gig he already did 15 years ago.

Not sure why that’s so hard to understand.

He's done so well if you also consider that he seems to always have negative credit in the bank. His face and public persona don't fit a superstar manager, nor does he have a successful club management portfolio so I always think people are looking for reasons to get rid as soon as he doesn't exceed expectations. 

I don't know how well he'd do at club level now. However, he's shown he can set up a team really well at an international level and I think this team is better than the team which got to the semi's in 2018. All Southgate can do is get his team playing well and dominating a game, it's up to the players to convert and not concede 30 yarders.

France have the best team, it's hardly a major upset. On most days, England win that game. 

Edited by kopsy101

4 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Not going to read 30 odd pages to catch up, but have been amused by Kyle Walker scoring low in the player ratings for the match, when Mbappe did absolutely nothing all game and thats what all the pre match build up was about 

Saka by far the best player on the pitch, no idea why he went off for Sterling, terrible terrible decision 

France once again will probably walk into a final like last time when they've been pretty rubbish and everyone will over hype them again 

Probably because he got beaten the 2-3 times he got a clear run at him and set up opportunities. Despite that, if you consider that James, Trippier or TAA had been playing, he'd have been 5 yards ahead of them, as opposed to 1 yard :D Him and Dembele were managed so well though, midfield and wingers were all over them.

Saka going off for Sterling was awful. I'm sure you've been frustrated by this before at City, but there was a point in the last minute where he could have played a pass into the box but he took a touch and passed it back.

You say France have been rubbish, but internationals aren't as finely tuned as club games. Sounds bitter af.

32 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Honestly, has the media and fan stuff been that bad? 

I don't think so, considering winning our group and going out to the first big side we faced in the quarters was everything wrong with Sven ;)

France actually beats strong opponents though. In 2018 they defeated Belgium and Argentina.

People praise here great achievements under Southgate but how many times did they defeat strong teams in the play-offs in the last 2 WCs and Euros?

Germany arguably. Not sure if they were not considered massive underdogs back then.

And lost to Belgium, Italy and now France. And a loss against Croatia obviously. 

Not sure if that is such a great achievement overall on the balance of those results. England was effective against weaker teams during that period. That's true but not more than that.

44 minutes ago, outlander said:

France actually beats strong opponents though. In 2018 they defeated Belgium and Argentina.

People praise here great achievements under Southgate but how many times did they defeat strong teams in the play-offs in the last 2 WCs and Euros?

Germany arguably. Not sure if they were not considered massive underdogs back then.

And lost to Belgium, Italy and now France. And a loss against Croatia obviously. 

Not sure if that is such a great achievement overall on the balance of those results. England was effective against weaker teams during that period. That's true but not more than that.

F4DD790E-8D53-482A-99FD-479C1EC6FA61.png.3b9a4ba5bbc3facfbdd60fa56050e982.png

I don't get why penalty taking practice isn't the coach shouting where to aim for just before the run up so players get used to quick decision making and versatility. Theyd need very good shots too as the keepers would know where theyre aiming and would get more practice at reading the body language of the different shots.

He also has a relegation to his name let’s not forget that :D

I just feel like we are wasting an exciting generation here that can play attractive front foot football…. Instead we cautiously plot around and can technically outplay teams that are poor, but then rely on luck to get past anyone half decent.

Hes had a fair crack of the whip and won nothing at all.

4 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Southgate has two tactical ploys:

1. Pass it around defence for 5 minutes until Maguire does a long pass to the opposition.

2. WINGS 

If he stays on he also needs to put his faith in actual strikers too.  Foden and Saka are good players but neither are what I would class as a striker - a natural goalscorer, someone who can get past defenders really.  Unless he's prepared to change things a bit I think it'll be more of the same to come.

31 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

18 minutes ago, mrw072 said:

If he stays on he also needs to put his faith in actual strikers too.  Foden and Saka are good players but neither are what I would class as a striker - a natural goalscorer, someone who can get past defenders really.  Unless he's prepared to change things a bit I think it'll be more of the same to come.

Southgate actually has a lot of question marks when it comes to using his players properly.

We all know the right-back situation and Trent being completely out of the picture.

Tomori or White never got a chance. Maguire didn't make any of his usual mistakes, but just playing him means your defense has to drop several meters deeper because he's painfully slow.

Rice has looked completely lost throughout the entire tournament. I haven't seen enough of his club matches, but when I asked people say that his role is completely wrong.

Mount is his favorite player, but has also been just kind of there.

Foden was completely cut off on the left, not allowed to do his thing with picking up the ball, played like a pure winger.

Kane is more or less a midfielder in a lot of situations.

Saka was great, but completely alone because he prefers Walker not crossing the half-way line.

Bellingham is just too good to be anonymous despite poor midfield setup where everyone somehow goes wide.

Now tell me which players except for Maguire look better playing for NT than they do for their club? Because every decent NT has some players who are somehow average for their club, but step up for NT.

Meanwhile England has a stacked squad, ridiculous depth up front and yet somehow almost every player is less effective than they are for their club.

15 hours ago, skybluedave said:

It's not the most exciting list is it. Christ, Steve Holland would be depressing choice. I still maintain Poch. Not fussed about them being foreign. He's got the best out of Kane in that 4231 he played. And we have the players to fit that well. 

Screenshot_20221211-214846_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a3f74ee6ede8bb5bbc36bde3802ac3be.jpg

The England job is much more appealing then it was 5 years ago. I can see a few different names being interested that weren't before, now they thinking '3 & half year contract, 2 tournaments, I could be the guy that finally wins something with them'

Aside from the top two, it looks like a candidate list of who's going to be the next manager of Reading or some other championship level team:D

image.thumb.png.c342b497d8a3b6629b227eb00c676212.png

like he can still do more, but he progressed the ball better than any of France’s midfielders.

The main issue, I think, was Shaw. He did not progress the ball forwards to Foden or Kane much at all. And I think Shaw had had an outstanding tournament before that before anyone accuses me of ABU.

image.thumb.png.41c12ab8f994cb8d2968320014fd0948.png

2 hours ago, outlander said:

When I looked other day since start of WC18, against Croatia/Spain/Italy/France/Germany/Belgium it's something like 5 wins in 18 games I think, more defeats than wins. During that period, Germany won less than 50% of all their games too :D 

We have closed the gap as the France game showed, but still came up short. Italy x2 probably only named side we'll face before Euro24.

4 minutes ago, Smallen said:

image.thumb.png.c342b497d8a3b6629b227eb00c676212.png

like he can still do more, but he progressed the ball better than any of France’s midfielders.

The main issue, I think, was Shaw. He did not progress the ball forwards to Foden or Kane much at all. And I think Shaw had had an outstanding tournament before that before anyone accuses me of ABU.

image.thumb.png.41c12ab8f994cb8d2968320014fd0948.png

Think problem was that Foden was being man marked to the extreme by Kounde, so passing option was rarely ever on. Would've been a much more risky pass to make if you wanted to keep things tight. 

Interesting to see from that Grizemann and Giroud, in comparison to us. We nullified Mbappe threat, but Grizemann just went to the otherside a lot more to get the ball and be dangerous with it. We just don't have the same, well Kane does it but then it needs the runners beyond which is hard (and often seen before) against sides that are deeper.

Do think the next evolution of this side in a 4-3-3, is being able to keep Kane high in same Giroud is for France and have one of the CMs pick the ball up in those spaces.

12 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Do think the next evolution of this side in a 4-3-3, is being able to keep Kane high in same Giroud is for France and have one of the CMs pick the ball up in those spaces.

Kane and England will have a decision to make. He could definitely go on another 4 years (at least!), happens with other international teams, but he will become less mobile so then you have to decide where you want to play him, as a deep second striker or someone leading the line.

4 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Kane and England will have a decision to make. He could definitely go on another 4 years (at least!), happens with other international teams, but he will become less mobile so then you have to decide where you want to play him, as a deep second striker or someone leading the line.

As long as he doesn't have regular injuries, should still be leading the line come next WC. Even without pace, he's intelligence is up there. How he kept rolling Upmanecano is the sort of thing that you don't lose over time, if anything become more clever with it. Plus he's a finisher, even if he was just slightly off with that chance against Lloris (just as much good goalkeeping that than to blame Kane).

13 minutes ago, Smallen said:

When you look at our abundance of young players, there aren’t any strikers coming through at all. Kane will be here in 4 years. He might even be here in 8 years considering how he looks after himself.

We aren't the only country facing this problem (if fitness issues had worked out differently France would have a 36 and a 34 year old up front!). Big opportunity for a young England striker to step up.

Kane will be fine as he gets older imo. He’s relies more on his intelligence than his physicality in duels anyway.

I think you always need a Rashford/Sterling/Son type with him though. Neither Saka or Sterling really want to run through the middle off him because it’s not their game. Another reason to get Foden central!

Edited by Smallen

2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

We aren't the only country facing this problem (if fitness issues had worked out differently France would have a 36 and a 34 year old up front!). Big opportunity for a young England striker to step up.

Everyone is facing the same problem. A bit off-topic, but unfortunately true #9 is getting pretty close to extinction.

Looking at every top country, there's literally no next big thing when it comes to strikers. Goncalo Ramos being the only noticable name.

It's not a coincidence, there's something definitely off with striker development.

There's Haaland, Vlahović, Osimhen and Šeško from what I've seen, the rest looks pretty unconvincing.

Most frustrating thing for me was at 1-1 it was clear Foden was only getting involved when he wandered into the centre, so the obvious substitution to take the game to France was Henderson for Grealish/Rashford/Sterling and get Foden on the ball more. Instead his subs all went the way of his loyalty ones and although Mount ended up lucking into winning a penalty, he didn't have any sort of impact on the side 

Even if Foden comes off because he's having little impact, the obvious sub for me was Grealish

Said it a few times throughout, but Declan Rice was by far our most disappointing player, he was always the one who had the most time on the ball and he never looked like affecting a game by either bringing the ball forward or finding a pass through midfield 

2 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

That is an interesting take, but the way Kane hits them - which in my eyes is how penalties should be hit, and that's hard - if a keeper does go the right way, he's still got a massive job on to save it.  From 12 yards, you, as a keeper, probably have to move really early to save a well-struck penalty going into the corner.  And that's always going to be a big risk, as you're still just guessing.  

It is interesting though.  I can see why someone would be facing that second penalty and have those doubts.  But you'd like to think your best finisher would have the confidence given his usual penalty style to stick to his convictions.  Put it this way, if he rattles it in the exact same place, and Lloris saves it, it looks a lot better than going all Johnny Wilkinson. 

2 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:
Now tell me which players except for Maguire look better playing for NT than they do for their club? Because every decent NT has some players who are somehow average for their club, but step up for NT.

Meanwhile England has a stacked squad, ridiculous depth up front and yet somehow almost every player is less effective than they are for their club.

Pickford and Maguire are regularly far, far better for England than their clubs. Saka was for a while, until his Arsenal form caught up. Phillips broke through for England before he really stood out in the Premier League. Henderson was far better for England this tournament than he has been recently for his club. Shaw has been consistently good for England, in a way he hasn't consistently for his club. Rashford has 4 goals in 14 games for Man Utd this year, but 3 in 5 for England. How many examples do you need?

6 minutes ago, m_fenton said:

Pickford and Maguire are regularly far, far better for England than their clubs. Saka was for a while, until his Arsenal form caught up. Phillips broke through for England before he really stood out in the Premier League. Henderson was far better for England this tournament than he has been recently for his club. Shaw has been consistently good for England, in a way he hasn't consistently for his club. Rashford has 4 goals in 14 games for Man Utd this year, but 3 in 5 for England. How many examples do you need?

Just the reply I tried to get. :)

What do Pickford, Maguire, Henderson, Phillips, Shaw and even Rashford have in common?

They're subpar to average players for top level. Except Rashford, but he obviously has confidence issues due to MUTD being shambolic.

And what does Southgate do?

Instead of using average players who fit well together with quality players, he brings down the level of play from your best players in order to accomodate the likes of Maguire and Shaw.

26 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Just the reply I tried to get. :)

What do Pickford, Maguire, Henderson, Phillips, Shaw and even Rashford have in common?

They're subpar to average players for top level. Except Rashford, but he obviously has confidence issues due to MUTD being shambolic.

And what does Southgate do?

Instead of using average players who fit well together with quality players, he brings down the level of play from your best players in order to accomodate the likes of Maguire and Shaw.

Pickford almost single-handidly won us the Euros during that shootout ffs :D We'd be putting statues of him up if the others hadn't missed theirs.

12 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Ultimately the side was good enough to win, but didn't make enough of the fine margins. Could have one that on another day, bitterly disappointing but doesn't need sweeping assessments of a whole squad 

Loath as I am to quote his punditry, but for once Keane was spot on when he said top level sport is brutal. 

11 minutes ago, m_fenton said:

Pickford almost single-handidly won us the Euros during that shootout ffs :D We'd be putting statues of him up if the others hadn't missed theirs.

Shootouts are largely irrelevant for goalkeeper's actual ability.

Livaković is 27 and saved 2 penalties in his entire career up until last week.

9 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Ultimately the side was good enough to win, but didn't make enough of the fine margins. Could have one that on another day, bitterly disappointing but doesn't need sweeping assessments of a whole squad 

That's the problem, imo.

You can't get away with fine margins excuse three tournaments in a row.

Faced three top level opponents and lost three times, it's not like Southgate went though top opponents to reach latter stages, so fine margins can be the excuse.

23 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Shaw's been easily among the better full backs at the world cup. So this is a baffling point to make. Rashford has been very good for club and taken that to country. Absolute nonsense post. 

Kane is your best and most experienced player, plays in midfield half the time. Under-utilized, without a question.

Foden is your by far the most creative player and the only true playmaker in squad, but he's stuck all the way out on the wing without enough involvement.

TAA is just deadly when utilized properly, but he's nowhere to be seen. Completely out of the picture.

Saka is only playing because Sterling has had the worst year of his career. And instead of utilizing Saka's ability to dribble past multiple opponents and pair him with TAA, Southgate prefers to play Walker and instruct him not to cross the half-way line. Please don't pull the Mbappe card, he would've played Walker against every opponent.

I mean, you can. You will lose cups more than you'll win them. Kane wasn't under utilised at all. His availability to build and create is just as important as his ability to score. 

For all the criticisms I have of Southgate, they don't really apply to that France game. 

And he'd have played Reece James