QF4: England vs France, 7PM GMT, Al Bayt Stadium

Darius1998

2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

It's weird how every team ever to win an international tournament has been held back by their defensive manager....

Thing is, who was the last proper attacking team to win a World Cup or a Euros? Maybe Spain in 2008 before proper tiki-taka but even then it was all based around possession.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Get out gloating Jock Turd :D

Not even gloating. I don't mind England at all. ****ing hate your abysmal media and their ridiculous overexcitement/hype cycle every 2-4 years, but the English fans and especially squad are sound. I support an English club, a lot of my favourite players (past and present) are English/City players. I mean, i did laugh a little as is natural for a Scot, but if you'd won it all I'd have no problems with that. 

3 minutes ago, anagain said:

You deserve ridicule for that...:idiot:

:D

Tbf, though, someone on discord suggested Scotty Parker

Nah seriously think about it. OGS is good at bringing harmony to a dressing room and fostering team spirit. He promotes young players and he's clearly not good enough for club level. I could literally be describing Gareth Southgate here and nobody would know. 

It's not going to happen, but i do think he'd be a good manager for England. 

Just now, JD nawrat said:

Not even gloating. I don't mind England at all. ****ing hate your abysmal media and their ridiculous overexcitement/hype cycle every 2-4 years, but the English fans and especially squad are sound. I support an English club, a lot of my favourite players (past and present) are English/City players. I mean, i did laugh a little as is natural for a Scot, but if you'd won it all I'd have no problems with that. 

Nah seriously think about it. OGS is good at bringing harmony to a dressing room and fostering team spirit. He promotes young players and he's clearly not good enough for club level. I could literally be describing Gareth Southgate here and nobody would know. 

It's not going to happen, but i do think he'd be a good manager for England. 

I reckon he'll be on the shortlist for next Norway manager. He'll be reunited with Haaland.

Just now, aiston said:

And every player is out of position :D

Because they were so busy protesting the foul instead of getting back into position. All of France's players were out of position in their box but they still managed to get into shape quickly enough.

12 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

It’s clutching at the clutchiest of straws. It probably was a foul but that’s football. Not a chance it was as clear as many make out. 

And it's not as if the goal was scored from the counter attack. England was able to regroup defensively, so that was just one of the possession attacks at that time.

VAR could not even review it because of that. 

A bit naive to blame that goal on the ref.

1 minute ago, pearcey_90 said:

Issue would be, does he move on this squad over the next 18 months? He clearly has favourites, so would he dare leave out Sterling/Maguire etc over that period when it’s likely they should be as the cycle with them is ending.

Yeah obviously, we started with Foden and Saka so he is making those calls.

1 minute ago, silentwars said:

Which is why I was asking who we should go for if Southgate leaves. Howe or Potter would be obvious choices, but can't see them leaving their club sides. 

Nah I can see Newcastle listening. They know they have the money to replace him with a high profile foreign manager.

First half was tight. Probably France edged it. 2nd half we were the better team. They took their chances, we didn't. I am gutted at losing but not disappointed in the players or manager. Apart from the USA game we were an enjoyable side to follow! 

I thought we looked ok, but mainly because when France were ahead, they were happy for us to keep the ball in unthreatening areas and trusted their defence not to concede any bad chances. And they were ahead for a considerable portion of the match.

When it was 1-1 either we were playing even more slowly than usual or they tried to put a bit more pressure on higher up and overall I thought we were worse when the scores were even, Giroud could well have scored before his goal. But then again, we had half chances to score too, it could have gone either way on another day. The Kane chance when he was closed down by Lloris and the Saka goal were the only good chances we created imo, even the pens were not from the most promising positions, Hernandez was a moron as I didn't see Mount scoring there.

Fair play to Southgate/Holland in getting the midfielders to be the crossing option on the right and leave Walker back at all times, I thought that was a good way of approaching the Mbappe problem. Rice did seem a bit isolated which makes him look worse than he is imo. I thought Saka was a bit weak in the first half but he did improve considerably whereas Foden just didn't look that dangerous on the times he got the ball.

In other words, we were ok and weren't outclassed by a good team. But I think it is France sitting back that makes us look a bit better than we were.

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Urgh :( 

Did that penalty miss by as much as it looked like it did from my end?

That ball is orbiting the JW Telescope right now...

Astronomers in US think they've found a rogue planet...

Just now, The_jagster said:

when France were ahead, they were happy for us to keep the ball in unthreatening areas and trusted their defence not to concede any bad chances

Which makes it amazing England didn't win 6-1.

England fans are so miserable.

I've always said, even if they won a trophy, fans'd be moaning we're not winning every game 3-0 now. And if England did, they'd be moaning that it's not 5-0. Do that already actually.

Thought we played well on the night. It’s top level football, **** happens. I don’t think it’s a game we can look back on and think we played badly or did anything tactically horrendous. I thought in the second half we were much the better side. Kane scores the penalty or Rashford scores the free kick and who knows what happens, it’s narrow margins at this level in a tournament like this. 

Think we can be proud of the team and their performance. Probably should’ve beaten them on the night, ref wasn’t great, personally wouldn’t have taken Saka off, but overall think we did very well over the 90 minutes or so and it’s the narrow margins that cost us. 

Just now, PaulHartman71 said:

Thought we played well on the night. It’s top level football, **** happens. I don’t think it’s a game we can look back on and think we played badly or did anything tactically horrendous. I thought in the second half we were much the better side. Kane scores the penalty or Rashford scores the free kick and who knows what happens, it’s narrow margins at this level in a tournament like this. 

Think we can be proud of the team and their performance. Probably should’ve beaten them on the night, ref wasn’t great, personally wouldn’t have taken Saka off, but overall think we did very well over the 90 minutes or so and it’s the narrow margins that cost us. 

Yeah, no idea why he's taken Saka off. He had the run of the French team, and barring terrible officiating, was causing them problems. Poor decision yet again.

Right, am signing out of this thread now to do other stuff. Thoroughly enjoyable match, England should feel a little hard done by but the game was also there for the taking and they didn't take it.

Someone tag me if if there's an hilarious breakdown or something in here.

3 minutes ago, JD nawrat said:

There's a proper dearth of quality/successful England managers. If Southgate is replaced, it's either going to have to be an absolutely hopeful punt on someone or a successful foreigner. There's no successful English managers. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers gets it, if we do change managers. 

Edited by silentwars

Just now, ginnybob said:

Yeah, no idea why he's taken Saka off. He had the run of the French team, and barring terrible officiating, was causing them problems. Poor decision yet again.

Did he take a knock, was he injured? Because he was playing so well it really is an out there decision to replace him.